2018-19 NFL Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 104, 105, 106  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Bears defense plays angry....like they will not get fed after the game if they lose. I love it.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Bears defense is legit, and best in the league, BUT, Goff has never played well in cold temps.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Bears defense is legit, and best in the league, BUT, Goff has never played well in cold temps.

They pretty much shut down the running game too....
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject:

Useless fact but the Ram’s two losses this season were to the two teams I root for.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject:

McVay was awful tonight with the play-calling and, again, the wasted timeouts (it's a theme), but it probably wouldn't have mattered tonight. You have to wonder if the Rams offense travels well to cold-weather places. Hopefully (for Rams fans), they won't have to play a cold-weather playoff game.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
McVay was awful tonight with the play-calling and, again, the wasted timeouts (it's a theme), but it probably wouldn't have mattered tonight. You have to wonder if the Rams offense travels well to cold-weather places. Hopefully (for Rams fans), they won't have to play a cold-weather playoff game.

It makes me wonder about all these high flying acts on offense that could put up points like nothing earlier in the season, and how they're slowing down noticeably as of late. It seems like defenses are finally catching up just a bit, and that's not to say defense is back in style all of a sudden. But besides the other factors of colder weather and refs maybe easing up a little, it does feel like the offensive explosion is toning down now and teams that can play good D and run the ball well are still going to be relevant in the postseason despite all the fawning over Chiefs, Rams, Saints, etc.

Of course, when you have an android QB designed in a lab like Mahomes, that's probably a moot point...
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Useless fact but the Ram’s two losses this season were to the two teams I root for.

Being a Cards fan I assumed you'd like the Rams too. Or not since they left?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Being a Cards fan I assumed you'd like the Rams too. Or not since they left?

They were never there when I was. It was Cards or Bears and the Bidwell Cards were pathetic.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject:

I will just say it.....if kid stays healthy, I am not sure why he will not be one of the best to ever sling it. Mahomes just does things that have not been done in a game that has been played for over 100 years.

No Look Pass.....in FOOTBALL
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject:

you know Raiders are falling off the map on a day when they fired their GM, no one is talking about it here.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject:

What is there to talk about, Gruden runs that team. He's getting paid the big bucks to take apart and rebuild that team. We'll see in a couple of years if it was a success or just a big futile exercise.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject:

I'm just glad that I can watch Monday Night Football again. I was so sick of hearing him talk about how every player was the greatest thing ever. Oh, and I guess we won't see his asinine quarterback camp shows before the draft. I actually got stuck somewhere where I didn't have a remote control. I had the choice of counting ceiling tiles or watching the quarterback camp show. Thankfully, there were a lot of ceiling tiles.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I will just say it.....if kid stays healthy, I am not sure why he will not be one of the best to ever sling it. Mahomes just does things that have not been done in a game that has been played for over 100 years.

I tried to talk him up weeks ago. Was told "it's too soon."
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

We were just discussing that pass here at work. Amazing.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I was probably one of those. Just needed to see more to believe it could continue.

Next season will be a big test for him. That is greatness as I think Kobe said it. When everyone now knows what you’re gonna do and still can’t stop it.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I hope it wasn't me...I feel like I have been on the hype train for a while.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:34 am    Post subject:

Seattle gets yet another BS call at home. It's like the NFL thinks that it must perpetually help them after essentially stealing a Super Bowl from them over a decade ago against the Steelers.

Wagner committed a personal foul on that field goal, they even threw the flag, and then they pick up the flag? LOL what a joke.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Seattle gets yet another BS call at home. It's like the NFL thinks that it must perpetually help them after essentially stealing a Super Bowl from them over a decade ago against the Steelers.

Wagner committed a personal foul on that field goal, they even threw the flag, and then they pick up the flag? LOL what a joke.

1). The rule is you can't use another players body to gain an advantage. Wagner hurdles a player and landed on the ground with both feet, THEN blocked the FG,

2). I agree that when a call can go either way, The Hawks generally get the call. But let's be real, what other instance in the NFL would be more deserving of penitence, than stealing a Super Bowl? So everytime it occurs, ire should be directed towards the NFL front office, and the benefited party - Pittsburgh Steelers.

3). The joke is that the leagues penalty last 25 years, so not too much longer until that debt is repaid. 😎
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The Minnesota Vikings have fired first-year offensive coordinator John DeFilippo following Monday night's 21-7 loss to the Seattle Seahawks, the team announced Tuesday.

Quarterbacks coach Kevin Stefanski has been promoted to replace DeFilippo on an interim basis and will handle playcalling duties for the remaining three games of the regular season.

Long Overdue

Gotta feel sorry for Minnesota fans. What on earth was that front office thinking in giving $84 million in hard cap hitting guaranteed money to Kirk Friggin Cousins? There isn't a more consistently good tandem of possession receivers in the league than Thielan and Diggs, and you throw Rudolph in the mix, and there is just no excuse for an offense to be that putrid. So while the play calling has been bad, Cousins still can't produce for you WHEN YOU NEED him to.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

1). The rule is you can't use another players body to gain an advantage. Wagner hurdles a player and landed on the ground with both feet, THEN blocked the FG,

2). I agree that when a call can go either way, The Hawks generally get the call. But let's be real, what other instance in the NFL would be more deserving of penitence, than stealing a Super Bowl? So everytime it occurs, ire should be directed towards the NFL front office, and the benefited party - Pittsburgh Steelers.

3). The joke is that the leagues penalty last 25 years, so not too much longer until that debt is repaid. 😎

Wagner's hands touch both of his teammates on the play as he leaps, both the teammate to his left and the teammate to his right. That's leverage, and it's against the rules. Replays clearly showed that he didn't just jump over, he made contact with his teammates while using his hands/arms. Completely illegal and it was a missed call.

This is why there needs to be replay available on penalty calls. Just like you can challenge whether or not a pass was tipped on PI calls, for example. Why can't a coach challenge this and say, look, the replay shows clear contact? Or better yet, perhaps it should just be an automatic review by the booth without the challenge. They have automatic reviews on all scoring plays, and a field goal attempt is a potential scoring play, so, yeah.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject:

Bears and Seattle looked rock hard on defense, but both their offenses (outside of the amazing Tarik Cohen and the hard running Chris Carson) were ass.

But I am not sure it matters if you defend like that. As stated earlier in the thread, Chicago's D played hungry and I would argue Seattle's did also. And Seattle has in my opinion the loudest crowd and best home field advantage in the NFL.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Bears and Seattle looked rock hard on defense, but both their offenses (outside of the amazing Tarik Cohen and the hard running Chris Carson) were ass.

But I am not sure it matters if you defend like that. As stated earlier in the thread, Chicago's D played hungry and I would argue Seattle's did also. And Seattle has in my opinion the loudest crowd and best home field advantage in the NFL.

are you considering weather in that....because I would think Chicago, Green Bay and Buffalo are definitely in that conversation in a late December / early January game.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject:

I looked up the rules. I can't say that they are a model of clarity. The following is illegal:

Quote:
Placing a hand or hands on a teammate or opponent to gain additional height to block or attempt to block an opponent’s kick or apparent kick, or in an attempt to jump through a gap to block an opponent’s kick or apparent kick

Picking up a teammate to block or attempt to block an opponent’s kick or apparent kick

Running forward and leaping across the line of scrimmage in an obvious attempt to block a field goal or Kick, or apparent kick, unless the leaping player was in a stationary position on the line of scrimmage when the ball was snapped. A player, who is behind the line of scrimmage before or at the snap, may run forward and leap, provided he does not cross the line of scrimmage or land on players.

While I was looking up the rule, I noticed this one. Did you know that there is a goaltending rule in football?

Quote:
Goaltending by a defensive player leaping up to deflect a kick as it passes above the crossbar of a goalpost. The referee may award three points for a palpably unfair act (12-3-4).
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

This is why there needs to be replay available on penalty calls. Just like you can challenge whether or not a pass was tipped on PI calls, for example. Why can't a coach challenge this and say, look, the replay shows clear contact? Or better yet, perhaps it should just be an automatic review by the booth without the challenge. They have automatic reviews on all scoring plays, and a field goal attempt is a potential scoring play, so, yeah.

I'm actually starting to swing the opposite direction. I'm beginning to feel like Replay is actually as destructive as it is constructive, and expanding it just makes matters worse. It just slows games down and it isn't even remotely full proof. There are countless times even replay doesn't get it right (and I'm talking across all sports where it used). And it obviously doesn't erase fans complaining about "favoritism", as this discussion proves.

It's all an imperfect system. Players make mistakes, Coaches make mistakes - and those impact the outcome of the game. How's it really all that different to just realize that referees and umpires make mistakes and replay doesn't change that. Even in the era of replay, fans still break out the "we got screwed" card, calls still get blown on replay. So replay hasn't really erased any of the problems and it has introduced the problem of slowing things down.

I just don't see expanding replay as actually improving anything. And continuing to expand it just compounds the problem. Especially when it enters the judgement call area. So you start reviewing every play where there is some kind of controversy? At that point why not start putting it to fan vote? At least then you can at least say that the fans reviewed the play and the fans voted. And yes, I am being hyperbolic, but I am doing so to illustrate a point.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject:

^
Agree to disagree there, DMR. If a play like that decides a playoff game, I think it's preposterous that you can't go and look at a replay and see that something was against the rules, and make the proper call. I'd rather have the fallback of replay than not having it. I do think that a lot of the replay reviews were getting out of control with the overturned calls, which is why this year, you're seeing a lot more instances where New York is just staying with the call on the field unless it's blatantly obvious.

As to AH's post, Jeff Triplette (go ahead, skewer me since he was a terrible ref lol) was on the telecast and said it was a clear foul, and Wagner clearly uses his hands and places them on both of his teammates' backs, the guys to his left and right.

As I have said, I don't know if the NFL thinks that it just owes Seattle calls until the end of time, but they really do receive remarkably favorable calls. Over and over and over again. Do you know that their defense ranks 29th in yards allowed per play? It isn't even a good defense. It's not a good pass defense and it's not a good run defense. And yet, somehow, they don't allow many points. Wonder how that happens.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 104, 105, 106  Next
Page 59 of 106
Jump to: