2018-19 NFL Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 104, 105, 106  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject:

I would be in rampage mode if I was a Browns fan... with the 1st and 4th picks they manage to not pick any player who was really ranked to go in the top 5 of the draft. Like seriously you have to go out your way to pull off something so ridiculously inept.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
I would be in rampage mode if I was a Browns fan... with the 1st and 4th picks they manage to not pick any player who was really ranked to go in the top 5 of the draft. Like seriously you have to go out your way to pull off something so ridiculously inept.

If I was a browns fan i would be too dead inside to care at this point i mean i think i would come to expect them to screw up.

Miss the playoffs once shame on you. But miss the playoffs for 15 years and I aint buying anything you're trying to sell me.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Any Cowboys fans? Are y'all ready to offer #50 overall for Earl Thomas? Jason La Canfora is reporting that the Seahawks could look to move him for Day Two picks. (He said picks, plural.)

that is a sizable cap hit....think it will be his last year, and count $10.4 Million towards the cap
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

maybe....but it would not shock me if we look back and realize Ward was a great pick.....and Baker is going to be "boom or bust".....he will either end up making the GM a gutsy genius or a village idiot. Personally, I am a fan of both guys games.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Any Cowboys fans? Are y'all ready to offer #50 overall for Earl Thomas? Jason La Canfora is reporting that the Seahawks could look to move him for Day Two picks. (He said picks, plural.)

that is a sizable cap hit....think it will be his last year, and count $10.4 Million towards the cap

I could be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that the release of Dez just coincidentally means that they can fit Earl's contract onto their books for this season. They'd have to get him signed long-term, but given that he went to Texas, I'm guessing that they would have a strong chance to do so.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

You could argue that both Mayfield and Ward were reaches, although if Mayfield ends up as a good player and Ward ends up as a good player, it will still be a win for the franchise. I thought 4 was very aggressive for Ward, and they probably thought that they couldn't have traded down and still gotten him.

I do think they are in good position with the 33rd and 35th picks, with the type of talent that's still on the board. Unfortunately for them, they need a left tackle to replace Joe Thomas, and there are issues with the next few options at that position. If I were them, I'd take Harold Landry at 33 (they didn't take Chubb, after all), and then maybe go for either Connor Williams or Orlando Brown at 35.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:05 am    Post subject:

hoping the Bucs can snag a CB, RB, and an interior offensive lineman in the 2nd....or maybe even 2 CB's. Have picks #38, #53, and #56. Have a feeling that the Colts will snatch Josh Jackson the pick before the Bucs. Will Hernandez may still be on the board @ #38. Either Guice or Chubb should be there @ #38, but I would not mind waiting until later in the 2nd and try to grab Ronald Jones.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
hoping the Bucs can snag a CB, RB, and an interior offensive lineman in the 2nd....or maybe even 2 CB's. Have picks #38, #53, and #56. Have a feeling that the Colts will snatch Josh Jackson the pick before the Bucs. Will Hernandez may still be on the board @ #38. Either Guice or Chubb should be there @ #38, but I would not mind waiting until later in the 2nd and try to grab Ronald Jones.

I don't think either Chubb or Jones will be there at 53, but I suppose it's a possibility. I have them getting Guice at 38. I agree with you that the Colts will probably take Joshua Jackson with one of their picks, and they may even take Guice. (If so, then the Bucs could take Jones or Chubb, I guess, though I have Jones rated higher.) As for Hernandez, if the Giants don't take him at 34, I'll be surprised. He's just sitting there for them, and the Browns don't need a guard. I have the Bucs taking Carlton Davis at 53 and guard Braden Smith at 56.

Another option would be to eschew RB at 38 and take James Daniels instead, if he's available, or even Austin Corbett, a 6'6 mauling type that I really like (likely a guard in the NFL).
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject:

As a fan, I think the Colts should take Landry and Guice with the 36th and 37th. Happy they took Nelson as opposed to just waiting for Luck to die from one of the 50+ sacks they'd give up before trying to solidify the o-line.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Mike Mayock just said on NFL Network that he's hearing that Guice could be a faller due to teams having concerns about off-the-field character.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/27/jason-witten-plans-to-retire-join-monday-night-football/

Quote:
Jason Witten plans to retire, join Monday Night Football

Cowboys tight end Jason Witten recently said he plans to play until he’s 40. Those plans have quickly changed.

ESPN has announced (essentially) that Witten now plans to retire from the NFL and become “a lead analyst” on Monday Night Football. Witten intends to meet with Cowboys owner/G.M. Jerry Jones before finalizing the decision.

Witten, a future Hall of Famer and 15-year veteran who turns 36 on May 6, joins former teammate Tony Romo with high-profile TV gigs, if Witten takes the job.

The presence of the phrase “a lead analyst” in the de facto announcement suggests that there could be another analyst in the booth, making it potentially a three-person operation. Joe Tessitore is slated to become the play-by-play announcer on Monday night.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject:

Stu, I’ll tip my cap to you. Your picks were better than any of the pundits I saw. Well done.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/27/bruce-arians-expected-to-join-cbs/#comments

Quote:
Bruce Arians expected to join CBS

One of the most colorful coaches in recent NFL history (and sometimes that color is blue), has found a new home.

According to Richard Deitsch of The Athletic, former Cardinals coach Bruce Arians is expected to sign with CBS to do games this fall.

He’ll be paired with play-by-play man Greg Gumbel and analyst Trent Green in a three-man booth, giving him an opportunity to ease into his first television job.

Arians has a way with words, and sometimes those words haven’t always been fit to print. But he’s always been entertaining, and clearly understands the game, having won a pair of coach of the year honors.

His background with decorated quarterbacks Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, and Andrew Luck will also allow him to show some insight into the offensive side of the ball which should make the broadcasts with Gumbel and Green enjoyable.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Stu, I’ll tip my cap to you. Your picks were better than any of the pundits I saw. Well done.

Grazie.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/26/trevor-davis-not-charged-after-lax-bomb-joke-arrest/

Quote:
Trevor Davis not charged after LAX bomb joke arrest

Packers wide receiver Trevor Davis was arrested after making a joke about having a bomb while at Los Angeles International Airport earlier this month, but he won’t be facing any further legal trouble.

A spokesman for the Los Angeles City Attorney told Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com that Davis appeared at an “informal hearing” in the city attorney’s office and was not charged with a crime. While the attorney has up to a year to file charges, the spokesman said that no action was expected in the future and that Davis has no further court appearances scheduled.

Per the spokesman, Davis told his side of the story during the hearing and the city attorney provided suggestions to avoid any issues in the future.

Davis was a 2016 fifth-round pick of the Packers and has been taking part in their offseason program since it began on April 17.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject:

I won't make comments, since the 2nd Round is obviously much harder, but here are my predictions for 2nd Round picks, with my best approximation of the order (which is probably going to make me look foolish):

Harold Landry, Will Hernandez, Connor Williams, Joshua Jackson, Justin Reid, Ronald Jones, James Daniels, Isaiah Oliver, Ronnie Harrison, Mason Rudolph, Lorenzo Carter, Nick Chubb, Jessie Bates, Austin Corbett, Orlando Brown, Dallas Goedert, Donte Jackson, Courtland Sutton, Mike Gesicki, Derrius Guice, Carlton Davis, Maurice Hurst, Sam Hubbard, Braden Smith, Kemoko Turay, Nathan Shepherd, DJ Chark, Darius Leonard, Brian O'Neill, Uchenna Nwosu, Christian Kirk, Harrison Phillips.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/04/25/packers-bears-fan-lawsuit/550806002/

Quote:
Packers fan's lawsuit against Bears gets the go-ahead

GREEN BAY, Wisc. – Russell Beckman is a Green Bay Packers fan from way back. He's a Chicago Bears season ticket holder, too.

Oil and water.

Beckman, a teacher, sued the Bears in U.S. District Court in Chicago because they wouldn't let him on the sidelines wearing Packers gear during a promotional event with other season ticket holders before a game in 2016. The lawsuit, which a federal judge decided can proceed, might be an annoyance to the Bears, but Beckman said it could have wider-ranging implications.

First, the background.

Beckman lived in southern Wisconsin until August 2017, when he moved to Green Bay. He acquired Packers season tickets in the 1980s, and added Bears season tickets in 2003 because he loves the Packers-Bears rivalry.

"I thought that way I'd always have tickets and be able to make a little money selling the other ones," he said.

As a Bears season ticket holder and personal seat license owner, Beckman earns points in a season tickets rewards program that allows him to take advantage of various programs, including being on the apron around the field during pregame warmups.

Beckman has attended many games at Soldier Field and, indeed, was allowed on the apron before other games. But during the Packers-Bears game on Dec. 18, 2016, he was denied access. There were other Packers fans at field level, although they were guests of the Packers or involved in other programs.

The Bears did make it clear beforehand that opposing team gear would not be permitted as part of the program.

"I have this privilege as a season ticket holder," he said. "It's very, very cool, but it's an experience that I pay for. It ticked me off on a personal level."

He is not a provocateur. He understands there is a time and place for everything, and a Packers-Bears game is the time and place to sport team colors.

"It was not a private event at Halas Hall. I never wear Packers apparel there," he said. "This was a Bears-Packers game."

Halas Hall is the Bears headquarters in Lake Forest, Ill.

Beckman's argument is that because the Bears lease Soldier Field from the Chicago Park District and their finances and operations intersect with the park district to such a degree that it makes the Bears a state actor. In other words, what happens at Soldier Field is a public, not private activity, as it might be where a team owns its stadium outright. He argues the Bears violated his First and 14th Amendment rights.

The First Amendment covers freedom of speech and the 14th Amendment requires equal protection of the laws.

The Bears aren't the only team that prohibits opposing-team apparel in certain parts of their publicly financed stadiums, Beckman said.

"When that happens in publicly financed sports venues, it's wrong," he said. "I am going to solider ahead and I will continue until hopefully I have a federal court ruling that will allow me to do this. It will establish a precedent in an area of unsettled law."

A 1977 case built on a similar argument, Ludtke vs. Kuhn, resulted in equal access to professional sports locker rooms by female reporters.

Beckman would like to find an ambitious lawyer attracted by the scope of the case.

"I am representing myself for now," Beckman said. "I can do an adequate job of representing myself. I do have many intellectual resources at my disposal, but this is an issue I'm not willing to spend $10,000 on."

In fact, he would settle out of court if the Bears were willing. He said they are not.

"I tried to work with them. They won't have any legitimate talks to settle," he said."I didn't seek out confrontation, they did."

There's also the matter of consistency on the part of the Bears. Beckman appeared on the field on Sept. 10, 2017, wearing a Falcons jersey as a kind of test. No one chased him away.

The original lawsuit included the NFL and an attempt at a class action, which U.S. District Judge Joan B. Gottschall tossed out in a March 30 ruling. But she said Beckman's claim against the Bears could go ahead. A status conference is scheduled for May 9.

"I'm sure the judge will try to get us to settle, which is fine. I'm all for it," he said.

For his part, he'd be happy to be allowed on the field and get his court costs back; about $800.

The Packers could conceivably fall into the same category as the Bears. The team leases Lambeau Field from the Green Bay/Brown County Professional Football Stadium District and the city of Green Bay. Also, the Packers receive financial contributions from the stadium district to compensate them for some maintenance costs.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Two nasty O-lineman go with the first 2 picks. I really like Corbett, but just wonder if he can play tackle in the NFL, and the Browns have 2 good guards already. Maybe they see him as a right tackle. Then Will Hernandez for the Giants, my favorite non-Quenton Nelson guard in this draft. Love that pick for the Giants.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Well adkindo, you'll get Ronald Jones and like it! That's what I had happening after I heard that Guice was falling.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Chargers got Nwosu from USC. Maybe a little bit of a reach, and doesn't necessarily fulfill a need, but I guess Telesco is stockpiling potential pass rushing talent. Rotoworld's Evan Silva did have him going in the 2nd Round, which is the biggest reason that I did, also LOL.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Hoping my Steelers end up with Guice.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Freddie Buckets wrote:
Hoping my Steelers end up with Guice.

He's falling because he apparently told teams during interviews that he might kneel during the anthem. Of course this is BS that teams are doing this to him, but it was really dumb of him to say that. I mean, if that's how you feel, just lie, and then do it after you get drafted.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Guice goes one pick before the Steelers pick.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject:

A 2nd round hit: I had Carlton Davis going to the Bucs in this round. He's a big CB. Good athlete. Good tackler.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Well adkindo, you'll get Ronald Jones and like it! That's what I had happening after I heard that Guice was falling.

I am good with it....I like Jones. Glad we used our other 2 picks to address CB.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 104, 105, 106  Next
Page 14 of 106
Jump to: