Jordan Clarkson & Larry Nance Jr. Appreciation Thread (Larry says Pelinka Story About Breaking Promise is False p.28)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
I think Clarkson would be fine on another team as a 15-20 minute spark off the bench guy. He'd be fine in an offense that shares, bad in one that is ISO prone. Good on Boston and Golden State, bad on Houston and Cleveland. If you want a guy to just be a spot up shooter out of rythym, Clarkson is not that... but its what he is being asked to do with Cleveland. I'm not saying Clarkson would be a world killer on another team, but he'd look much more like the Clarkson we know (or even better) in a passing offense than one which asks him to stand around playing next to Lebron.

This is all actually the exact same reason why IT suddenly looked better when he was traded to LA (even if not as good as he was last year). Clarkson and IT play a very similar game stylistically. If you're a guy who needs to create his own shot to succeed and have the ball in your hands here and there, Cleveland is not the place to go. See the article below -

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23684417/kevin-pelton-weekly-mailbag-does-lebron-james-make-teammates-better

Kevin Pelton (ESPN) wrote:
While some additional shot creators are necessary, particularly in a playoff setting, any team with James must be careful not to invest too many resources on players who are best with the ball in their hands. Instead, the focus should be on finding role players whose games will mesh well with LeBron's.

The Cleveland trade should work out well for Nance, but not so much for Clarkson.

I don't know if there are numbers out there that show this type of thing but it has seemed to me that he has had a lot of opportunities to create his own shot and has looked absolutely dreadful.

He has been consistently bad at it ever since the playoffs started. It seems to me that he is used to being able to freestyle in meaningless games against minimal resistance and now that he has to face real defenses in pressure situations, his low IQ and lack of fundamentals is being put on display.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject:

PG13 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
I think Clarkson would be fine on another team as a 15-20 minute spark off the bench guy. He'd be fine in an offense that shares, bad in one that is ISO prone. Good on Boston and Golden State, bad on Houston and Cleveland. If you want a guy to just be a spot up shooter out of rythym, Clarkson is not that... but its what he is being asked to do with Cleveland. I'm not saying Clarkson would be a world killer on another team, but he'd look much more like the Clarkson we know (or even better) in a passing offense than one which asks him to stand around playing next to Lebron.

This is all actually the exact same reason why IT suddenly looked better when he was traded to LA (even if not as good as he was last year). Clarkson and IT play a very similar game stylistically. If you're a guy who needs to create his own shot to succeed and have the ball in your hands here and there, Cleveland is not the place to go. See the article below -

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23684417/kevin-pelton-weekly-mailbag-does-lebron-james-make-teammates-better

While some additional shot creators are necessary, particularly in a playoff setting, any team with James must be careful not to invest too many resources on players who are best with the ball in their hands. Instead, the focus should be on finding role players whose games will mesh well with LeBron's.

The Cleveland trade should work out well for Nance, but not so much for Clarkson.

A reason why I think Lonzos game fits with LBJ. Lonzo would make a quick decision when he gets the ball from Lebron. He is a good cutter, would shoot, or pass. Lonzo thinks the game a play ahead, so he would know what to do before he even got the ball.

Agreed, Lonzo would be an ideal PG to pair with Lebron. I am still worried that Lebron would want half of our young cores shipped out for some vets. If he could come and be content to play with Zo and BI and Kuz they could be a great team in a few years.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject:

I never cared for Clarkson the guy and hated Clarkson the player. It’s kinda messed up, but I’m happy he’s finally being seen as the caliber of player he actually is. The “Clarkson is Westbrook lite” crowd always drove me crazy on here. Turns out he actually isn’t rotational player on a contender caliber player. Too Hollywood, too selfish, and too dumb to help a good NBA team.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
PG13 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

A reason why I think Lonzos game fits with LBJ. Lonzo would make a quick decision when he gets the ball from Lebron. He is a good cutter, would shoot, or pass. Lonzo thinks the game a play ahead, so he would know what to do before he even got the ball.

Agreed, Lonzo would be an ideal PG to pair with Lebron. I am still worried that Lebron would want half of our young cores shipped out for some vets. If he could come and be content to play with Zo and BI and Kuz they could be a great team in a few years.

I agree but if Lonzo is his PG you’re gonna need to find a legit playmaker with them to be a contender. As of now, we don’t have that guy... but PG13 fits that description.
jakec21
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Cavs guard Jordan Clarkson splashes out $3.2 million for Woodland Hills home

What about Jordan? Is he coming back to the Lakers after purchasing a home in LA.

http://www.latimes.com/business/realestate/hot-property/la-fi-hotprop-jordan-clarkson-woodland-hills-home-20180605-story.html
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
PG13 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

I agree but if Lonzo is his PG you’re gonna need to find a legit playmaker with them to be a contender. As of now, we don’t have that guy... but PG13 fits that description.

Oh yeah, I am assuming that PG and Lebron come together. Also don's sleep on BI he has some decent playmaking skills.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
PG13 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Oh yeah, I am assuming that PG and Lebron come together. Also don's sleep on BI he has some decent playmaking skills.

Not sleeping but definitely taking a short nap on them. He’s gotta show me a lot more consistent good shot selection and more vision before I consider him the best playmaker in the young core let alone 2nd on a contender. I expect Lonzo to be a considerably better playmaker than him next year and I don’t think he will be good enough to be the 2nd playmaker on a contender. But if you make them the 3rd and 4th playmakers on a team with Lebron and PG, look out.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject:

LeBron does not want to handle the ball up the court, which is fine, we have Zo and Bi..

And Zo will hit LeBron with pin-point passes on cuts to the basket.

It might be hard to image, but Lebron's ppg could increase next year, while his playing time and assists go down...

Last edited by unleasHell on Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
durden-tyler
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:29 am    Post subject:

Let's hope LeBron realize what an amazing off the ball player he could be, just take a look at the (few) times he does in in this playoffs. Could work very well with Zo, even Ingram and Randle... And when it's clutch time, just go LeBron ball !
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject:

Man, it would have been nearly impossible to move both JC AND Deng this summer.

I can't credit the FO enough for doing so AND getting a 1st rounder. That's spectacular.
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject:

Win or lose in free agency, the front office did a great job getting us into the position to vie for two max free agents.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Cavs guard Jordan Clarkson splashes out $3.2 million for Woodland Hills home

jakec21 wrote:
What about Jordan? Is he coming back to the Lakers after purchasing a home in LA.

http://www.latimes.com/business/realestate/hot-property/la-fi-hotprop-jordan-clarkson-woodland-hills-home-20180605-story.html

He's not coming back but he will be living here in the offseason.
He was house shopping before he got traded and continued even after the trade.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject:

durden-tyler wrote:
Let's hope LeBron realize what an amazing off the ball player he could be, just take a look at the (few) times he does in in this playoffs. Could work very well with Zo, even Ingram and Randle... And when it's clutch time, just go LeBron ball !

He can’t put up the same amazing stats off the ball. That’s very important to him.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
durden-tyler wrote:

He can’t put up the same amazing stats off the ball. That’s very important to him.

LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject:

Zo with a shot might be the perfect PG for Bron. Lead guard until the play starts, then better off-ball. Rebounds. Defends.

As long as he can provide spacing with his shot, it would seem to be a good match. Let Zo rebound and hit-ahead to Bron leaking out, or bring up the ball if that's not there. Then give the ball to Bron in the 1/2 court and be an off-ball threat with cuts and catch/shoots.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
Zo with a shot might be the perfect PG for Bron. Lead guard until the play starts, then better off-ball. Rebounds. Defends.

As long as he can provide spacing with his shot, it would seem to be a good match. Let Zo rebound and hit-ahead to Bron leaking out, or bring up the ball if that's not there. Then give the ball to Bron in the 1/2 court and be an off-ball threat with cuts and catch/shoots.

I believe Lebron would also be able to unlock Lonzo's off-the-ball game as well, which we didn't see much of this past season.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject:

LBJ will usurp LaVar as Lonzo's dad.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

That would be quite an improvement!
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

That would be quite an improvement!

Not sure. I think, ideally, biological dads being in their kid's life is very important.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Cavs guard Jordan Clarkson splashes out $3.2 million for Woodland Hills home

55 wrote:
jakec21 wrote:

He's not coming back but he will be living here in the offseason.
He was house shopping before he got traded and continued even after the trade.

His team should've made a better effort to acquire a house with a basketball court, he could really use some extra practice in the off-season.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Rough for JC.
No minutes while Rodney did some positive things.
RusselDoeee01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject:

I wonder if Dave is in the Cavs forum telling everyone the Cavs would be up 3-0 if Clarkson got 40 mpg
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Wonder what the Cavs roster looks like next year, if Lebron leaves, who also gets shipped out?
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Man, it would have been nearly impossible to move both JC AND Deng this summer.

I can't credit the FO enough for doing so AND getting a 1st rounder. That's spectacular.

Dlo wouldn’t have been the asset he was last off season either after the knee injury and fairly lackluster remainder of the season after he came back and might not have been enough to shed Moz, let alone for a pick coming back to us along with a player of Brook’s caliber on an expiring contract. FO has thus far knocked it out of the park; here’s hoping they keep it up.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject:

h2omike wrote:
Wonder what the Cavs roster looks like next year, if Lebron leaves, who also gets shipped out?

Kevin Love probably. He has no reason to be on a rebuilding team. Houston, OKC or some east playoff team could use him

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 26 of 28
Jump to: