ISAIAH THOMAS Official Thread (Shams: Lakers plan to sign 10-Day)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65 ... 100, 101, 102  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Nashlight wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
I love Lonzo and still have faith in his abilities... but last night shows the importance of IT if Ball gets hurt or is going through a cold streak.

IT can be the perfect player to ease Lonzo through the transition process of becoming a star point guard. He takes a lot of the media attention away, he can penetrate and score when he's playing alongside him... if Lonzo gets injured, he can cover for him. Lonzo could learn a lot by watching him.
He's also fearless which is a good example for all our youngsters.

Hurt or healthy, Lonzo really needs to develop into a triple threat.

Someone in the game thread said it best: when Lonzo drives to the paint he's always looking to pass that he becomes so predictable to defenses. If he was playing rock-paper-scissor, opponents know he'll always be throwing rock 95% of the time. He needs to switch it up. When IT penetrates, opponents are on their toes not quite sure what he's going to do because IT has a pocket full of rocks, papers, and scissors. That's why he's been more effective as the ball handler when he and Lonzo are on the floor together.

Sure, but maybe the fact that Lonzo is a rookie and IT is a seasoned vet who is 29 comes into play here too.

They are different players with different ceilings in different facets of the game... My only point is that Zo isn't ready to singlehandedly carry us for a playoff run and IT would be a nice partner with whom to share those duties.

Isn't that why the Lakers are likely pursuing LBJ/PG13?

Yes... but while George is an upgrade on KCP... he is not able to run point...so IT is necessary if we don't sign LBJ.

I'm still on board with PG/LBJ first... but with each passing game... IT moves up on my plan B board. Especially until Lonzo settles down a bit.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Nashlight wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
I love Lonzo and still have faith in his abilities... but last night shows the importance of IT if Ball gets hurt or is going through a cold streak.

IT can be the perfect player to ease Lonzo through the transition process of becoming a star point guard. He takes a lot of the media attention away, he can penetrate and score when he's playing alongside him... if Lonzo gets injured, he can cover for him. Lonzo could learn a lot by watching him.

Someone in the game thread said it best: when Lonzo drives to the paint he's always looking to pass that he becomes so predictable to defenses. If he was playing rock-paper-scissor, opponents know he'll always be throwing rock 95% of the time. He needs to switch it up. When IT penetrates, opponents are on their toes not quite sure what he's going to do because IT has a pocket full of rocks, papers, and scissors. That's why he's been more effective as the ball handler when he and Lonzo are on the floor together.

Sure, but maybe the fact that Lonzo is a rookie and IT is a seasoned vet who is 29 comes into play here too.

They are different players with different ceilings in different facets of the game... My only point is that Zo isn't ready to singlehandedly carry us for a playoff run and IT would be a nice partner with whom to share those duties.

Yes... but while George is an upgrade on KCP... he is not able to run point...so IT is necessary if we don't sign LBJ.

I'm still on board with PG/LBJ first... but with each passing game... IT moves up on my plan B board. Especially until Lonzo settles down a bit.

He’s on the list of my plan B, but only as a 1 year deal.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
IT brings a lot of the same things that Nick Young, Lou Williams, and Jordan Clarkson have brought in recent years. It's a nice luxury to have but not one you want to have a lot of salary invested in.

Disagree here. Clarkson's bball IQ was so low that IT is a revelation in comparison. He is not just a gunner, he is a passer and he sees the floor like a legit point guard. Also, even given IT's obvious physical limitations I am not seeing a big drop off in defensive effectiveness. I think this is mainly due to Clarkson's inability to use his tools on the defensive end for what ever reason.

IMO Lou Williams was real black hole on offense. Guy just looked for his own shot and his D was worse than IT's. Lou Williams made us worse.

Nick Young- well he was never really serious and would never put a team on his back like IT does.

I understand liking Isaiah best since he has the most NBA success and frankly, he's the only one currently on the team, but my comparison is that they're streaky instant offense players, not that they're identical.

He has been a big surprise here since he has played a lot better than he did in Cleveland but he's still a pretty big drop off from what he was last year in Boston. At a cheap contract to be a 6th or 7th man, it's a no brainer but I suspect he is going to want more money and more minutes.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/jdeez/status/973816733281726465

Best quality of Isaiah's meme face.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Off Topic Reminder.....Everyone Welcome.....Be Sure to Complete Your NCAA Tournament Bracket!!

When can I complete my bracket?
--After the field is announced on Selection Sunday (March 11th) @ 3:00 PM (Pacific Time) on TBS.

When does my bracket have to be completed?
-- Edits can be made up to an hour before the fist game tips off on Thursday, March 15th @ 9:00 AM (Pacific Time).

How many brackets can I complete?
-- One

What is the Group link?
-- LINK to Yahoo Tourney Pick'em LakersGround page.

What is the Group password?
-- 8Kobe24

**Note**
When you're setting up your bracket, be sure to unselect the "show personal email" box, and make sure your bracket is listed under a username (prefer your LG ID), and not the name on your birth certificate.

Visit the LG Thread - http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=184446&start=0
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject:

I like how he got engaged on defense after Julius yelled at him.
adtz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Nashlight wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

If you notice FO is looking for veteran PG offseason in rose and rondo, not sure deron william, but ultimately they decide to go for caruso. This tell you they understand the need for a mentor for ball, for right person at right price. We will have to see after this offseason how IT cost and what he think. Right now alot of discussion has IT reject to stay at laker beyond this season unless laker can promise him max and starting lineup spot which laker unlikely give to him.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:

I think you've got that backwards
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
epak wrote:

?
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
epak wrote:

?

I don't know what you were watching, IT was yelling AT Julius
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
epak wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
epak wrote:

?

Teamwork makes the dream work. Constructive feed-back.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
epak wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
epak wrote:

?

Teamwork makes the dream work. Constructive feed-back.

Yes, it shows that they both care.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject:

IT said something Julius took exception to. After he calmed down you could read IT's lips talking it out with JR, saying "All I'm saying is..." Looks like JR took something IT said out of context, took it a bit personal, but it also looks like they cleared the air just fine.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
epak wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
epak wrote:

?

Which ones IT? The shorter one?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
IT said something Julius took exception to. After he calmed down you could read IT's lips talking it out with JR, saying "All I'm saying is..." Looks like JR took something IT said out of context, took it a bit personal, but it also looks like they cleared the air just fine.

yeah...my guess is it is about perspective....not beating up on anyone, but I think IT truly lacks self awareness which is what caused his issues with teammates in previous stops. I would lay $5 on it had something to do with IT talking to Randle recently as if he is the team leader, etc., and I can see Randle taking exception to someone that's been here a couple weeks acting in a way that it is "his" team. Some may see that as IT only trying to provide leadership to a young team, and others may see that as Randle has been here 4 years, and if anyone is the alpha/team leader...it is going to be him for now. I doubt the actual content of the discussion mattered that much.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
epak wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
epak wrote:

?

Which ones IT? The shorter one?

Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject:

Whoever was right or wrong in that argument... whether management decides to keep IT or not... I prefer that he remain his true obnoxious self and keep it real instead of acting like an angel to get a contract and then showing his true nature later.

I understand the concern of those who are worried about his confrontational nature... but at least that's him and he's not sneaky about it.

It's for management to decide whether they think it works with the group or not. It can be healthy to vent openly... and it can be toxic. Only insiders will know for sure.
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Whoever was right or wrong in that argument... whether management decides to keep IT or not... I prefer that he remain his true obnoxious self and keep it real instead of acting like an angel to get a contract and then showing his true nature later.

I understand the concern of those who are worried about his confrontational nature... but at least that's him and he's not sneaky about it.

It's for management to decide whether they think it works with the group or not. It can be healthy to vent openly... and it can be toxic. Only insiders will know for sure.

I’m not worried about it. Too many softies on this team. Kobe would make these kids cry daily.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:

According to Kobe, being able to challenge each other openly and not being nice about it is the way to be in order to be a championship team. We don't know what was said on either end, but I doubt it was anything over the top. Personally, I like having a guy on the team who's willing to tell a teammate to his face that he's messing up. It can't just be roses all the time. That's what soft teams are made of.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject:

Do you guys think IT can function on a team where he isn't the leader? I believe he could be a hell of an asset coming off the bench, but I'm not so sure he's willing to accept that kind of role at this stage of his career.
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
Do you guys think IT can function on a team where he isn't the leader? I believe he could be a hell of an asset coming off the bench, but I'm not so sure he's willing to accept that kind of role at this stage of his career.

With the way Lonzo’s playing, if I was coach I’d start Thomas over Lonzo if we weren’t down so many players.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject:

BizLA wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

With the way Lonzo’s playing, if I was coach I’d start Thomas over Lonzo if we weren’t down so many players.

Short term, that might yield a more efficient offense. Long term, I think we're better off starting Zo. He'll only get better as he logs more minutes of on court play.
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject:

Both IT and Jules handled all the questions from the press about it perfectly!!

I like that IT went back over to Randle later to clear the air.

Worthy and Antawn were glad to see it....shows fire.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

According to Kobe, being able to challenge each other openly and not being nice about it is the way to be in order to be a championship team. We don't know what was said on either end, but I doubt it was anything over the top. Personally, I like having a guy on the team who's willing to tell a teammate to his face that he's messing up. It can't just be roses all the time. That's what soft teams are made of.

Yeah, personally I dig it... but as I said, only the team will know if it works for them or not.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject:

BizLA wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65 ... 100, 101, 102  Next
Page 64 of 102
Jump to: