ISAIAH THOMAS Official Thread (Shams: Lakers plan to sign 10-Day)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77 ... 100, 101, 102  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject:

For all those 20 games his NetRTG is only .2 higher than Tyler Ennis, and this comes during a period in the season when they've been playing relatively well.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
What part of "I'm not a 6th man" do we not get? Do you think it's going to end well when you pitch him on that?

And as someone who believes in advanced stats, why are you only using 20 point games as some sort of indicator? Look at the whole picture. His TS% is down for example.

Because I thought it might penetrate people's heads better that IT had more 20 point games by himself last year than our entire starting lineup did this season.

If I had time I could go through every stat... but although I'm unhappy with his play, I still try to sign him. If we give him an offer and fail... I can live with that... but I just don't want the FO to be dumb and not even try.

You are probably right that we can't sign him... but all I want is the effort. A creative attempt to find the solution.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
What part of "I'm not a 6th man" do we not get? Do you think it's going to end well when you pitch him on that?

And as someone who believes in advanced stats, why are you only using 20 point games as some sort of indicator? Look at the whole picture. His TS% is down for example.

Because I thought it might penetrate people's heads better that IT had more 20 point games by himself than our entire starting lineup did.

If I had time I could go through every stat... but although I'm unhappy with his play, I still try to sign him. If we give him an offer and fail... I can live with that... but I just don't want the FO to be dumb and not even try.

You are probably right that we can't sign him... but all I want is the effort. A creative attempt to find the solution.

I think you're making too big of a deal for something that IT himself isn't looking for (to be a backup to Lonzo for the next few years and non-starter) and the Lakers oft stated FA plans.

I genuinely believe the Lakers desired, in order:

1. cap space
2. Cavs 1st (for draft or in Deng trade)
3. IT/Frye.

They absolutely achieved their goal and the consternation about extending IT long term misses the team's goals.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Because I thought it might penetrate people's heads better that IT had more 20 point games by himself than our entire starting lineup did.

I think you're making too big of a deal for something that IT himself isn't looking for (to be a backup to Lonzo for the next few years and non-starter) and the Lakers oft stated FA plans.

1. cap space
3. IT/Frye.

They absolutely achieved their goal and the consternation about extending IT long term misses the team's goals.

The idea of Lonzo plus a scrub running the point next season doesn't frighten you. It does frighten me. I'd rather have IT for cover. If we get LBJ then I won't worry.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

1. cap space
3. IT/Frye.

The idea of Lonzo plus a scrub running the point next season doesn't frighten you. It does frighten me. I'd rather have IT for cover. If we get LBJ then I won't worry.

It doesn't, because they will target 2 max FAs, and if they don't get it, I do believe this FO will find sensible options at backup PG. If they just wanted a gunner then we could have kept Lou/JC; clearly they want something else with that backup PG. IT isn't the answer especially b/c he has stated that he isn't the answer as a backup player.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
For all those 20 games his NetRTG is only .2 higher than Tyler Ennis, and this comes during a period in the season when they've been playing relatively well.

Yeah, though IT "impacts" the game more than Ennis, just using an arbitrary stat like "# of 20 point games" is not the way to measure that.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

1. cap space
3. IT/Frye.

It doesn't, because they will target 2 max FAs, and if they don't get it, I do believe this FO will find sensible options at backup PG. If they just wanted a gunner then we could have kept Lou/JC; clearly they want something else with that backup PG. IT isn't the answer especially b/c he has stated that he isn't the answer as a backup player.

I just listed all of the sensible options... there aren't any other than praying for Seth or one of our draft picks to hit like Kuzma.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

1. cap space
3. IT/Frye.

IT is a scorer. He’s labeled a PG strictly because of his size. He doesn’t “run the point” really at all unless you consider calling for an on ball “running the point” which I don’t. Our offense looks drastically different when he’s the primary ball handler. Sometimes for the better because he can score but sometimes it hinders the offense. Combine that with his defensive struggles and I don’t think he should be considered a very effective player.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

1. cap space
3. IT/Frye.

IT is a scorer. He’s labeled a PG strictly because of his size. He doesn’t “run the point” really at all unless you consider calling for an on ball “running the point” which I don’t. Our offense looks drastically different when he’s the primary ball handler. Sometimes for the better because he can score but sometimes it hinders the offense. Combine that with his defensive struggles and I don’t think he should be considered a very effective player.

He's not as good as Lonzo at the point but he's better than most players... he had way more assists than Clarkson until this recent slump.

He has the vision but he's a little too risky and careless... his height also cuts off certain passing lanes... but he's made many good plays and the fact that he can penetrate and pass out gives us a dimension that Zo hasn't learned yet.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Yeah, though IT "impacts" the game more than Ennis, just using an arbitrary stat like "# of 20 point games" is not the way to measure that.

If Lonzo scored 20 in 71 out of 76 games we'd all be having HOF conversations about him right now. It's far from an arbitrary stat.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

1. cap space
3. IT/Frye.

He's not as good as Lonzo at the point but he's better than most players... he had way more assists than Clarkson until this recent slump.

He has the vision but he's a little too risky and careless... his height also cuts off certain passing lanes... but he's made many good plays and the fact that he can penetrate and pass out gives us a dimension that Zo hasn't learned yet.

All Zo does is pass out after penetration. What he's not going to do is try to dribble into 2 or 3 defenders without a plan, and then just hope there's an available pass if he gets in trouble. Honestly, I can't think of a worse influence on a PG.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

1. cap space
3. IT/Frye.

All Zo does is pass out after penetration. What he's not going to do is try to dribble into 2 or 3 defenders without a plan, and then just hope there's an available pass if he gets in trouble. Honestly, I can't think of a worse influence on a PG.

Who's your solution to replace IT?... one who won't cost us any assets.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

1. cap space
3. IT/Frye.

I just listed all of the sensible options... there aren't any other than praying for Seth or one of our draft picks to hit like Kuzma.

But why does our backup PG have to be a 20ppg level scorer? I don't expect that. If we have someone who can play D and run the offense, I'm fine with that too. The notion that our backup PG must be a scorer is erroneous to me.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

1. cap space
3. IT/Frye.

Well since he's a net negative on the floor, just about any backup PG off the scrap heap will do. As the stat at the top shows, he's been only slightly more effective than Tyler Ennis.

But since I gather you want a name, go with Caruso.

Last edited by greenfrog on Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

If Lonzo scored 20 in 71 out of 76 games we'd all be having HOF conversations about him right now. It's far from an arbitrary stat.

No. B/c we know Lonzo's game isn't about scoring.

IT is really a "SG" in a "PG" body. He's more of a passer than Lou was, but in the same mold.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject:

Quote:

But your underlying assumption is misplaced.

You're looking for a scoring PG; we are looking for something more broad than that. I'd be interested to see you break down more advanced stats with IT and the list of players you compiled. Factoring in other things besides scoring, I think a lot of them would be much higher holistically than IT.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

IT is really a "SG" in a "PG" body. He's more of a passer than Lou was, but in the same mold.

It's about ability to consistently score at an elite level. It's one thing to go double figures every game... but to go over 20 is something special.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

It's about ability to consistently score at an elite level. It's one thing to go double figures every game... but to go over 20 is something special.

Is that what a PG's role is? To consistently score?
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

I was still talking about 20 being an arbitrary stance. I agree that passing should be the priority for a PG but I've never said IT was better than Zo at passing. I said he was better than Clarkson and had good vision. More than adequate for a PG backup imo.

Last edited by Sentient Meat on Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject:

IT has been Lonzo Ball bad this past week, he is looking at a mid-level contract this offseason with a definitive 6th man role.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

I was still talking about 20 being an arbitrary stance. I agree that passing should be the priority for a PG but I've never said IT was better than Zo at passing. I said he was better than Clarkson and had good vision. More than adequate for a PG backup imo.

But the list of other options do not work for you b/c as you put it, they don't have as many 20+ point games. I don't think that's a good measure of the efficacy of backup PGs. And you like advanced stats, right? I'd wager that doing a more general comparison would show IT is probably at the bottom of the list you provided when factoring more than scoring (let alone efficiency).
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

But the list of other options do not work for you b/c as you put it, they don't have as many 20+ point games. I don't think that's a good measure of the efficacy of backup PGs. And you like advanced stats, right? I'd wager that doing a more general comparison would show IT is probably at the bottom of the list you provided when factoring more than scoring (let alone efficiency).

And yet here we are once again where you've provided the groundwork for this mythical replacement but no names who actually fill that need adequately. I'm aware the fit isn't perfect... but I simply think his other attributes, most prominent which is scoring, help to offset his deficiencies.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject:

Quote:
And yet here we are once again where you've provided the groundwork for this mythical replacement but no names who actually fill that need adequately. I'm aware the fit isn't perfect... but I simply think his other attributes, most prominent which is scoring, help to offset his deficiencies.

No, what I'm saying is you arbitrarily assign "scoring PG" as the measure to compare these players, all the while discounting IT's "not 6th man" comment (which disqualifies him) and the Lakers "sacred" cap space which they will not burn on extending IT long term.

You are trying to see this in a biased vacuum, when the "not 6th man" and "sacred cap space" should destroy that vacuum entirely (let alone other options who are not scoring PGs can be just as valuable).
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject:

IT is better than he has been playing, not as good as he was. All players slow down, which is accelerated due to injury. IT will not be able to overcome that as he ages since he is simply short by NBA standards. He will be more effective off the bench going forward, but since he was a 2 time all star, he feels that he should be starting. He will be better next year, but not what he was. He is at best plan C.
Capt.Skyhook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject:

I do wonder if IT's mostly interested in finding a team that will give him the most money (since he hasn't really been paid yet) or the starting job. It's possible both won't be coming in the same offer.

I don't expect him to be back with the Lakers. If he does return, then something went awry with either IT's search for a team or the Lakers' offseason pursuits.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77 ... 100, 101, 102  Next
Page 76 of 102
Jump to: