ISAIAH THOMAS Official Thread (Shams: Lakers plan to sign 10-Day)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95 ... 100, 101, 102  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDLakersFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject:

a2j1m wrote:
BigBallerBrand wrote:
i hope we can bring back IT on a 1 year deal after we lock up PG, Randle, and Lopez. if we can someone get KCP as well, i think we have a solid team. might need to trade 2 firsts + 1 second along with Deng to clear room for KCP. that is a good solid young core

ball
PG
ingram
randle
lopez

IT
Kuzma
KCP
Bryant

why would we trade 1st for KCP. yeah we get rid of deng but if were trading 1st and deng its going to be so we can go after bigger names than KCP. dude is not worth 20m. maybe half that tbh. i dont see KCP being back

KCP is a good blue collar guy. But I just don’t think he fits inwith our future plans. Plus it’s obvious we only wanted him due to the Lebron connection. I’d rather we keep our assets and develop Hart.

I will say IT started to grow on me. Seeing the bond he’s already developed with Ball, Kuz, and BI - if he can put his ego in check and accept a bench role at a fair price, welcome back. I’d be happy with something like

Cousins (1 year prove yourself deal)
Randle
Ingram
George
Ball

Zubac
Kuzma
Gerald Green (we need a shooter and he’s cheap)
Hart
Thomas (short term fair price)

If Ball is working on his free throws and develops a consistent jumper - this team is tough and can switch everything defensively
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
Obviously, we all want a super team to compete for a championship next year. I do not think it will happen. If it does not, there are so many moving parts and many paths we could take this off season. I would be OK If we signed Boogie and IT combined for about 25-28 (which I doubt they would accept) on a 2 year contract with a team option for the 2nd year. We stretch Deng and the possibility remains that we can resign JR (less than 20) and get PG (might have to take a slight haircut) in tow. There is really no down side. IT and Boogie are max players without the injuries. If they suck, we opt out. If either one of them come back from their injuries, we opt in and we get a max type player on the cheap.

Why would any player sign a 2 yr deal w/ the 2nd yr being a team option? Off the top of my head, I can’t think of any team option yrs aside from rookie contracts.

Maybe George Hill having his 3rd yr be mostly nonguaranteed? At least he gets $1 mil guaranteed, but a 2 yr deal w/ the 2nd being a team option is such a bad deal for the player. Better to take less money on a 1 yr deal and bet on yourself

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
Obviously, we all want a super team to compete for a championship next year. I do not think it will happen. If it does not, there are so many moving parts and many paths we could take this off season. I would be OK If we signed Boogie and IT combined for about 25-28 (which I doubt they would accept) on a 2 year contract with a team option for the 2nd year. We stretch Deng and the possibility remains that we can resign JR (less than 20) and get PG (might have to take a slight haircut) in tow. There is really no down side. IT and Boogie are max players without the injuries. If they suck, we opt out. If either one of them come back from their injuries, we opt in and we get a max type player on the cheap.

Why would any player sign a 2 yr deal w/ the 2nd yr being a team option? Off the top of my head, I can’t think of any team option yrs aside from rookie contracts.

Maybe George Hill having his 3rd yr be mostly nonguaranteed?

team option or non-guaranteed 2nd year....very similar, and players sign them if that is the best deal they can get. That is basically the deal Ennis signed last year.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

Maybe George Hill having his 3rd yr be mostly nonguaranteed?

team option or non-guaranteed 2nd year....very similar, and players sign them if that is the best deal they can get. That is basically the deal Ennis signed last year.

Yeah if that’s all they can get then that’s what they have to take. And for minimum salaried players, it makes more sense.

But for big money players like IT n Cousins, wow. That would mean no one else wants them even on a 1 yr deal.

For instance, if the choice for signing IT was:

a) 1 yr $13 mil
b) 2 yrs $15mil per yr (2nd yr team option)

which would the Lakers choose? Which would IT choose?
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject:

I'd choose neither. IT should be an absolute last resort for consideration, and even then only a 1 year deal.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject:

IT is "up for playing with Satan" as long as he's getting paid.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject:

is there any athlete that came back from a torn achilles and looks like his old self
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
is there any athlete that came back from a torn achilles and looks like his old self

Dominique Wilkins
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject:

Lakesh0wtime wrote:
DLaker wrote:

Dominique Wilkins

In other words, one player over 30 years ago in spite of significant advances in medical science. Put that up against the number of players who have had the injury and I'll say that even someone without any medical background would say those are some pretty long odds.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Isaiah Thomas Confident Hip Surgery Will Help Him ‘Get Back To Where I Belong’

Quote:
“Yeah, right around July. It was a four-month recovery process. I’m at two months right now, so when it hits the 12-week mark, I’ll be cleared to do all basketball activities. I actually got cleared this week to be able to shoot and work out. It’s slowly coming along, it’s all positive. I’m happy with the decision I made. This is going to help me get back to where I belong.”

https://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-free-agent-isaiah-thomas-hip-surgery-confident-get-back-where-i-belong/2018/06/11/
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject:

one thing IT doesn't realize is that no one is probably "up" with teaming up with him.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:19 am    Post subject:

Not sure Boogie after the Achilles injury would be worth it, definitely not the same player. For as big as he is, he rely's heavily on his footwork inside the paint and his athleticism at that size.

It would be a very tough call concerning Boogie. He couldn't be the main source at that position IMO any more, he'd need an adequate backup taking up the majority of the minutes. He simply becomes a threat, because that's going to be tough!
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject:

IT taking shots at the UCLA health training facility after the draft.
Missed a few 3s.
I wonder if he knew the cameras would be rolling.
Either way, good to see him back on the court.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Guess no IT this season.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Lakesh0wtime wrote:
DLaker wrote:

Dominique Wilkins

In other words, one player over 30 years ago in spite of significant advances in medical science. Put that up against the number of players who have had the injury and I'll say that even someone without any medical background would say those are some pretty long odds.

As I understand it Sabonis also did it (tore his Achilles at like 20-21?). The NBA version of Sabonis was not just the Achilles, but 10 years worth of injuries and Soviet sports medicine.

That said, the most recent review paper I can find (2017) on NBA, NFL and MLB athletes shows of the 70% that can return to their sport, most are significantly worse in year 1, show good recovery by year 2, but with NBA players having worse outcomes than the other two sports. That said, if Cousins rehab videos are any indication, he looks like he's progressed remarkably already.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject:

Good luck in your endeavors IT
Vic5150
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Good luck in your future endeavors IT

Had to fix that for you.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Given the fact he was traded, we could also go over the cap to re-sign him, as we retain his birds rights.

His cap hold is less than Clarkson's contract.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Given the fact he was traded, we could also go over the cap to re-sign him, as we retain his birds rights.

We're pretty much out of cap space now.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject:

Unless we stretch Deng or waive Randle, we can't re-sign IT.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
MJST wrote:

if we have his bird rights it doesnt matter.
IMO he's too much of a double edged sword to take a risk on and he already had drama with Lebron
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject:

another ship that has sailed
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
epak wrote:
MJST wrote:

if we have his bird rights it doesnt matter.
IMO he's too much of a double edged sword to take a risk on and he already had drama with Lebron

Bird rights just means you can go over the cap to sign him.
But his hard cap has to be included in the teams overall salary, no?
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject:

Another plus to lbj signing. We don’t have to watch IT again
ingle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject:

It ended up only a fling but best of luck to the littlest Laker of all.

Loved his automatic free throws, unplugged interviews and one of the most hyped Laker wins of recent years (that win against the Cavs and IT's 3 shots in a row)
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95 ... 100, 101, 102  Next
Page 94 of 102
Jump to: