2018 Cavs - I need an explanation!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDLakersFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: 2018 Cavs - I need an explanation!

The biggest storyline all season has been about how terrible the Cavs are. "They're too old, they're too slow, no one wants to trade for their crappy players". Then the deadline comes around and suddenly: water-to-wine.

The NBA has to explain how...

Isaiah Thomas, Channing Frye, protected 1st round pick
for
Jordan Clarkson, Larry Nance Jr.

Dwyane Wade for "heavily protected 2nd round pick"

Derrick Rose, Jae Crowder, Iman Shumpert
for
Rodney Hood, George Hill

Thompson / Nance
Love / Green
Lebron / Korver / Osman
Smith / Hood
Hill / Clarkson / Calderon

They managed to get younger and more athletic at every position while keeping the Brooklyn pick?

Silver just needs to admit he wants another Warriors/Cavs matchup.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Explain what?

We made a trade with Cleveland because it benefitted us (maybe more than it benefitted Cleveland.)

Utah made a trade with Cleveland because it benefitted them.

The Heat gave up a low second-round pick to bring a favorite son home to appease their fans.

Not sure what hanky-panky you are seeing or why you think Silver had anything to do with the trades.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Remains to be seen how they will mesh...they basically got a new team for the 2nd half of the season. Cavs had to do something to change things up.....this certainly does it but I think they will have to win a championship and this lineup doesn't do it.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Remains to be seen how they will mesh...they basically got a new team for the 2nd half of the season. Cavs had to do something to change things up.....this certainly does it but I think they will have to win a championship and this lineup doesn't do it.

The Cavs were in a death spiral.

These deals don't make them the favorite over Golden State or Houston, but what deal would?

They cleared out malcontents, old guys, and an injured guy and improved in most areas.

The only downside is if they opened up cap space for the Lakers so we could sign Lebron.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject:

This is called rebuilding... LeBron is gone
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject:

lebron is not a leader.
10scott10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Honestly, the only part that I don't get is why Utah made their trade

Everyone else makes sense, even if I'm not a huge fan of our trade
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 Cavs - I need an explanation!

SDLakersFan wrote:
The biggest storyline all season has been about how terrible the Cavs are. "They're too old, they're too slow, no one wants to trade for their crappy players". Then the deadline comes around and suddenly: water-to-wine.

for

for
Rodney Hood, George Hill

Thompson / Nance
Love / Green
Lebron / Korver / Osman
Smith / Hood

They managed to get younger and more athletic at every position while keeping the Brooklyn pick?

Any of the names you mentioned worth the Brooklyn pick? They had to give up their own pick and take on JC's salary. Dwayne Wade sent home to Miami for a "protected" second round pick. That is a crappy 2nd round pick.

Not sure what explaining you need. I think you're reaching for a conspiracy.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:

And instead of seeing Dan Gilbert whine like a (bleep) yet again this is his parting gift.

That being said they won't win a title with this squad but they can get out of the East with it.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject:

I don't see the invisible hand of a commish here.

I can't imagine what the NBA needs to explain to fans. Just on a casual examination of the day's events, the transactions make sense individually and collectively for the CLE franchise and their trade partners. Gilbert expressed a reload of talent to his club. If LeBron wants to stay with it, he ca and in the alternative future that has LJ leaving CLE this Summer, these were early smart steps to prepare for LeBron's exit.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject:

Cavs got screwed so hard with that Celtics trade. Gave up a top ten player in Kyrie for trash and a pick which will be in the lower end of the top 10.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:00 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Cavs got screwed so hard with that Celtics trade. Gave up a top ten player in Kyrie for trash and a pick which will be in the lower end of the top 10.

Too early to guess what the Brooklyn pick will be. Right now, they have the 7th worst record, but they are playing badly and only 2 games from the #1 worst record. So their pick could end up anywhere from 1 to 8th.

The trades today salvaged the Irving trade. Clarkson, Nance, Hood and Hill is a decent haul. And as I noted the Brooklyn pick could still up near the top of a good draft, so in the long run they could end up with a player better than Irving.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:14 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
danzag wrote:

And instead of seeing Dan Gilbert whine like a (bleep) yet again this is his parting gift.

That being said they won't win a title with this squad but they can get out of the East with it.

We don't even know how these guys will play together. On paper it looks like they improved but they have 2 1/2 months to get something going or else they are screwed.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Explain what?

We made a trade with Cleveland because it benefitted us (maybe more than it benefitted Cleveland.)

Utah made a trade with Cleveland because it benefitted them.

The Heat gave up a low second-round pick to bring a favorite son home to appease their fans.

Not sure what hanky-panky you are seeing or why you think Silver had anything to do with the trades.

Yeah, nothing about these trades reveal some grand NBA conspiracy to have the Cavs in the Finals. The East is still garbage, so it's possible they will be. They essentially gave Wade away for nothing and he's Lebron's best friend. All other moves, independently speaking, were completely balanced for all parties involved.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject:

so whats the story with the Wade trade? I havent followed the Cavs closely but he seemed like a decent player to have as a spark off the bench plus he's Lebron's friend... yet they trade him away for basically nothing??
Was there some kind of discontent or something between Wade and the Cavs/Lebron?
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 Cavs - I need an explanation!

SDLakersFan wrote:

for

for
Rodney Hood, George Hill

Thompson / Nance
Love / Green
Lebron / Korver / Osman
Smith / Hood

So you are accusing the Lakers of being complicit in the conspiracy to make the Cavs better?
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
so whats the story with the Wade trade? I havent followed the Cavs closely but he seemed like a decent player to have as a spark off the bench plus he's Lebron's friend... yet they trade him away for basically nothing??
Was there some kind of discontent or something between Wade and the Cavs/Lebron?

I read he asked to be traded. Can you blame him if the rumors of toxic team chemistry and Lebron's departure hanging over their heads are true? There was controversy with Wade from start with J.R. Smith being the usual butthead complaining about coming off the bench.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

I read he asked to be traded. Can you blame him if the rumors of toxic team chemistry and Lebron's departure hanging over their heads are true? There was controversy with Wade from start with J.R. Smith being the usual butthead complaining about coming off the bench.

okay that makes sense. Yeah I can see him sensing the team he joined in an attempt to compete for one more championship was in no shape to win it all and decided he rather bail back to the Heat and possibly get a Kobe-like departure season.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

okay that makes sense. Yeah I can see him sensing the team he joined in an attempt to compete for one more championship was in no shape to win it all and decided he rather bail back to the Heat and possibly get a Kobe-like departure season.

Gabs came with the private jet to pick him up yesterday. She was VERY happy.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject:

I think the Cavs did an excellent job....and I expect them to make it to the Finals again this year. All that being said, I still expect Lebron to exit. Cavs made the moves that help them a little while Lebron is there, and could help them after Lebron is gone. If you remove Lebron.....but still have Love, Hill, Hood, Nance, Clarkson, Thompson, Smith and Osman....they could still be in contention for a playoff spot in the East for a year or two while they wait for bloated salaries to expire and may be able to rebuild without bottoming out this time.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject:

Not everything is a conspiracy, the NBA is NOT the X-files...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I think the Cavs did an excellent job....and I expect them to make it to the Finals again this year. All that being said, I still expect Lebron to exit. Cavs made the moves that help them a little while Lebron is there, and could help them after Lebron is gone. If you remove Lebron.....but still have Love, Hill, Hood, Nance, Clarkson, Thompson, Smith and Osman....they could still be in contention for a playoff spot in the East for a year or two while they wait for bloated salaries to expire and may be able to rebuild without bottoming out this time.

Yeah, they remade a roster that looked destined for an early playoff exit to one that might go back to the Finals again....still, not good enough to beat the top 3-4 teams in the west though.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Have to agree, as much as I hate to admit it. Gilbert killed the trade deadline. They are a playoff team in the east w/o Bron.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Not everything is a conspiracy, the NBA is NOT the X-files...

Oh, yeah?

Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
lebron is not a leader.

Missed the Mensa meeting huh?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: