If we have a perfect offseason, are we contenders? A detailed analysis of why our offense and defensive sets could dethrone the Warriors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

If we have a perfect offseason are we contenders?
Yes
73%
 73%  [ 30 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Not next year but maybe in 2+ years
26%
 26%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 41

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject:

if your considering the perfect summer to be adding PG-13 & Lebron, while resigning Randle.....then we are considered contenders, but we are not the favorites. In that scenario, I think were are likely 4th....maybe 3rd...

1. Warriors (Curry, Thompson, Durant, Green, Center)
2. Rockets (Paul, Harden, Ariza, Anderson, Capela)
3. Boston (Irving, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Horford)
4. Lakers (Ball, George, Ingram, James, Randle)
Lakeshow1843
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject:

Hellspawn wrote:
The current GS players synergize with each other AND with their system in such a way that you could create a team out of various prime HOF players and they would still lose to GS.

People don't comprehend how much ridiculously greater the team is than even the sum of its ridiculously talented individual components, relative to other great NBA teams in history.

It is unprecedented in the NBA. They haven't even been trying yet this season.

So your solution is to not even try?
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject:

With a decent team, we will always be an ankle sprain or a nut punch away from being a contender...
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:

Well LeBron is not going to get want he wants. The soon he realizes it the better or we get someone else because he don't have time for his diva ass.

Really? You're going with this?
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject:

A perfect offseason yes. An offseason where we sign lebron, no
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
if your considering the perfect summer to be adding PG-13 & Lebron, while resigning Randle.....then we are considered contenders, but we are not the favorites. In that scenario, I think were are likely 4th....maybe 3rd...

The Warriors are already feeling the effects of three straight finals. I'm not confident they hold up for a 4th or 5th trip regardless of the talent and experience on paper. The Rockets will be tough though.

And naturally if the Celtics are coming out of the East, we are destined to win and slay them.
greek laker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:35 pm    Post subject:

with these signs we are the second-third best team so yes we are contenders.
as long as warriors have the same roster they will always be heavy favorites,but dont forget that we were the worst or second worst team one year ago so it ll be just tremendous achievement
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

The Warriors are already feeling the effects of three straight finals. I'm not confident they hold up for a 4th or 5th trip regardless of the talent and experience on paper. The Rockets will be tough though.

And naturally if the Celtics are coming out of the East, we are destined to win and slay them.

If that is the case....how will a 34 year old Lebron probably seeking his 9th Finals in a row fare?

I am starting to believe Houston (if healthy) could really be a problem for GSW this season....Houston is 24-1 when Harden, Paul and Capella are on the court.
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
With a decent team, we will always be an ankle sprain or a nut punch away from being a contender...

Last edited by mookielala on Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: If we have a perfect offseason, are we contenders? A detailed analysis of why our offense and defensive sets could dethrone the Warriors

bfc1125roy wrote:
This topic came up from the free agency thread, but I think it's worthy of it's own detailed discussion. If we have a perfect offseason and manage to sign LeBron and George, while keeping Randle, are we contenders with the following roster?

PG: Ball/Not Ennis

SG: George/Hart

SF: Ingram/?

PF: LBJ/Kuzma

C: ?/Randle

I think this team could beat the Warriors. There's a lot of versatility there and we could switch pretty much any screen. If Ingram focuses more on defense, we have our 2 elite defenders. Plus a scoring punch off the bench with Kuzma and Randle. That bench could run and gun hard. Luke wouldn't be an appropriate coach for a team of that caliber though. I'd want Fizdale. Here's my reasoning...

You take the 2011 Mavs, or the 2004 Pistons. Neither of those teams were better on paper than the teams they faced in the finals. But they played a smart defensive system.

No team will likely ever again be able to have the offensive firepower the Warriors have. But the way to stop them is to slow down the pace, and play tough, physical defense. Limiting the # of possessions and controlling the glass. Every championship team in the last 20 years has had 2 elite defenders (Iggy/Green, Duncan/Leonard, Kobe/Artest, MJ/Pippen) etc. It's an absolute requirement. George can be one, and hopefully Ingram develops into a second given he won't have to carry the offensive load.

1. You have to understand how the Warriors run their offense. It's very screen and cutting heavy, especially with the split actions. In order to combat that, you need to be able to switch everything. We've actually been able to keep up the Warriors this year because of our switch heavy defense. LBJ and PG can both guard 1-5. Lonzo and Ingram are both long and can also switch a lot without giving up mismatches. That is key.

2. On offense, we need something better than Walton's chest series. But you have two amazing facilitators in LBJ and Lonzo (critical to beat a zone). You have a top off ball player in PG. Three guys who can score in ISO (George, Ingram, LBJ). That's enough versatility there to run all sorts of actions. I particularly like our ability to create a triangle in the low post, enter the ball into James and have Lonzo and George run a split cut. Gives us the option to have James post up or an easy pass into a layup. Or to have George come up to the pinch post. We can also run great plays such as the loop and elevator plays to free up George/Ingram for catch and shoots. Not to mention PnR when we need it.

3. Our Bench with Randle and Kuzma would be great. That's a high octane offense with a good scoring punch. Both of them are fairly versatile as well, and could give GSW's older bench players like Iggy some hell.

4. The only thing that could hold us back is 3 point shooting. For that Lonzo and Ingram will have to step up their game (or at least 1 of them). If they do, we'll be fine.

I understand LeBron won't want to play with young talent, but if Ingram and Ball develop fast in the offseason, we could see some great results.

I'm not worried about LeBron's age. By the way LeBron is playing right now, if we surround him with the right role players, he can remain an effective facilitator and post threat into his later 30s. His genetics seem to rival Shaqs, but unlike him he takes better care of his body.

It is a pipedream though...

But what are the chances Ingram becomes elite defensively? Players tend to care more about scoring. Even if the situation is favorable for him, that doesn’t mean he will be a force on the defensive end. That seems VERY iffy to me and it assumes he stays healthy.

I’d still love to have that problem with that roster though. Talking about trying to be a championship contender is a lot more fun than talking about trying to be an 8 seed. That would be quite a turnaround.
RichD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject:

Perfect off season.
PG 13. This season. Make playoffs next year
Year after get clay Thompson
Compete for titles for 5 to 10 years
bfc1125roy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Seems like everyone is in agreement about the fact that we would contend. So now I will propose some new questions to keep the discussion moving

1. How would you fill out the roster I posted above

2. What sort of offense and defense would you run

3. What lineups are good? What if we play against a team with a lot of size?

4. Could Luke manage a more veteran locker room?
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject:

No (bleep) question we're contenders if we add Bron and PG13. If we have a lineup of

Lonzo
Paul George
Brandon Ingram
Lebron
Randle

that team wins 55+ games imo next season.
E_Wulf420
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject:

Perfect off season would be getting George and Randle for the low.

Ball
George
Ingram
Randle
Zubac

Matches up with golden State very well.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Sigh. I love Randle. I just don’t think the timing is right. Dumped one lotto pick to get rid of moz. Still owe this years from the Nash Howard years. Seems like we have to punt and continue to stack the deck before we start placing big money contracts.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject:

A perfect offseason like that, and no strings attached on LeBron? Meaning he lets Luke coach the team, we keep our core with PG13, and our core improves from this year to the next at the same rate they gained from last year to this year?

Yeah, we'd be contenders, possibly champs. That would be a perfect storm. Long odds on that, nice to wish for.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:20 am    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
No (bleep) question we're contenders if we add Bron and PG13. If we have a lineup of

Lonzo
Paul George
Brandon Ingram
Lebron
Randle

that team wins 55+ games imo next season.

Our current team is playing at a 68% win clip for nearly 2 months now. That equates to 57 wins in an 82 game season. I think 55 wins is a serious understatement if we keep our major pieces together and add LeBron and PG!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: