IT or LBJ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Let's say IT gets completely over his hip injury and went back to Boston IT, would you rather have him or Lebron?
IT
23%
 23%  [ 31 ]
Lebron
59%
 59%  [ 78 ]
None of the above
16%
 16%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 131

andrewc
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject:

KobeIsTheOne wrote:
MIMLaker wrote:
IT or LBJ? Obviously, the HOFer who combines Magic Johnson's skills and Karl Malone's body.

BUT, if the question is:

(a) Paul George at MAX
Julius Randle at reasonably competitive rate
Isaiah Thomas for a Brinks economy car (instead of a full-on truck)
Stretching Deng to free up Randle salary room
Signing Brook Lopez to a cap exemption

versus

(b) Paul George at MAX
Losing Julius Randle while waiting for LeBron James to make up his mind
Watching the press conference where James says he's keeping his talents in the Land
Signing Isaiah to a mercenary KCP-type 1-year rental deal just to save face.

I'll take (a) any day of the freaking week.

Yes, agreed, it's THIS.

Even if we were to get LeBron, I'd RATHER have Paul George/Randle/I.T. than Paul George/LBJ and have to LOSE Randle AND Thomas.

This x1000000
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject:

KobeIsTheOne wrote:
Even if we were to get LeBron, I'd RATHER have Paul George/Randle/I.T. than Paul George/LBJ and have to LOSE Randle AND Thomas.

Notwithstanding some of the fairy dust scenarios in these threads, that's not likely to be the choice. Randle and IT are not likely to take cheap contracts to fit our needs.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
KobeIsTheOne wrote:

Notwithstanding some of the fairy dust scenarios in these threads, that's not likely to be the choice. Randle and IT are not likely to take cheap contracts to fit our needs.

First let's talk about your idea of a cheap contract.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject:

Homer thread. Lebron vs IT? There can only be one answer.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
KobeIsTheOne wrote:

Oh, you can find all sorts of posts and threads around here about Randle and IT taking different contract amounts. I saw Eric estimate that the Mavs will offer Randle $18M. I don't know what IT will command. But I've seen any number of posts with scenarios in which Randle and/or IT sign for a lot less than the market is likely to dictate.

Also, remember that Randle and IT are not likely to accept short term contracts. If we were to sign, say, PG, Randle, and IT, summer 2019 is gone.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
KobeIsTheOne wrote:

Oh, you can find all sorts of posts and threads around here about Randle and IT taking different contract amounts. I saw Eric estimate that the Mavs will offer Randle $18M. I don't know what IT will command. But I've seen any number of posts with scenarios in which Randle and/or IT sign for a lot less than the market is likely to dictate.

Also, remember that Randle and IT are not likely to accept short term contracts. If we were to sign, say, PG, Randle, and IT, summer 2019 is gone.

Eric was taking a guess he wasn't saying he had knowledge of what the macs think he's worth most here have Randle in the 12-15 range. As far as iT goes he hasn't had an IT season. He's working his way back from an injury and won't be having any team back the brinks truck up.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject:

I think through intermediaries you gauge the interest of Kawhi and Klay... if their people say there is strong interest... maybe you take the risk and let Randle and/or IT go... on the other hand if there is no interest... maybe you sign the birds in the hand.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject:

27 LG'ers chose IT
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
27 LG'ers chose IT

They didn't choose IT straight up... they choose IT based on cost and whether LeBron would disrupt the young core.

If you conducted a poll based on who is the better player it would be 100% LeBron.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
KobeIsTheOne wrote:

Eric was taking a guess he wasn't saying he had knowledge of what the macs think he's worth most here have Randle in the 12-15 range. As far as iT goes he hasn't had an IT season. He's working his way back from an injury and won't be having any team back the brinks truck up.

When it comes to these scenarios, Eric has been Oberon, the king of the fairies. If he puts Randle at $18M, that is probably optimistic. A significantly lower number is fairy dust. Likewise, IT will have suitors. He may not be in line for a max or near-max contract after the injury, but he's going to get paid. If you think IT is going to sign with us for a budget contract, that's just fairy dust.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
adkindo wrote:
27 LG'ers chose IT

They didn't choose IT straight up... they choose IT based on cost and whether LeBron would disrupt the young core.

If you conducted a poll based on who is the better player it would be 100% LeBron.

none of that is part of the question I read.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject:

adkindo will attest to the fact that I'm the biggest IT homer on this site; and even I know that this poll is ludicrous
Lakeshow1843
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Is it just that you guys don't want to get your feelings hurt if he doesn't come or something? Like a he's ugly I didn't want to talk to him anyways kind of deal. A 37 year old lebron is still a top 15 nba player and as some have said based on how Julius is playing I highly highly doubt the FO doesn't turn every stone in a chance to keep him. Can imagine the physical punishment you'd have to deal with b/t randle and lebron and then have to worry about lebron or lonzo hell even BI zipping the ball around the court
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
adkindo wrote:
27 LG'ers chose IT

Would you rather is a subjective question. And most people explained it in the thread.

I would rather have LeBron if he left the core the intact and could still sign Julius.

If we couldn't sign Julius it would become less appealing.

If we had to trade Kuzma to unload Deng to sign LBJ it would be less appealing.

If LeBron's people influenced the front office and proposed trades that were only in LeBron's short term interest it would be less appealing.

But no question is LeBron the best player.

Last edited by Sentient Meat on Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject:

This team can compete with Houston/Warriors:

Lonzo/PG13/BI/LBJ/Jules.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Lonzo/PG13/BI/LBJ/Jules.

Absolutely. Probably would still lose to the Warriors but would probably beat the Rockets.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Lonzo/PG13/BI/LBJ/Jules.

Absolutely. Probably would still lose to the Warriors but would probably beat the Rockets.

Yeah. Would be a hell of a series to watch. What makes the Warriors so deadly is their closing lineup can switch. I'd say that Lonzo can and will be a better defender than Steph (but Steph of course is the more gifted scorer).
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Lonzo/PG13/BI/LBJ/Jules.

I am not sure it would win or lose to either....but I honestly am not as sold on this GSW team....they simply do not play defense the way they were known to play in recent years. Teams are slowly but surely figuring out little ways to slow them down here and there.
ingle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject:

IT. Lebron is all about his personal legacy at this stage of his career, our young core are just trade chips or scapegoats for his agenda.

Go to Philly Lebron
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Lebron is a front runner. He's not going to come here and have to scrap and compete.

He will either go to Houston, San antonio or stay in Cleveland.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:
Lebron is a front runner. He's not going to come here and have to scrap and compete.

He will either go to Houston, San antonio or stay in Cleveland.

Yep, that would be my guess as well...
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
adkindo wrote:
27 LG'ers chose IT

The question says nothing about salaries though. Are we to assume they would be the same price?
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject:

As others have suggested, this is somewhat of a meaningless poll. IT basically had one elite season at Boston, unmatched by anything he did before and will be certainly unmatched by anything he does in the future. 5'9" point guards with terrible defense and serious hip problems on the other side of 30 are not going to return to elite status or lead a team to a championship.

To me the more interesting questions is LeBron vs. Randle, or, more specifically, assuming that PG signs here, and the Lakers can't/won't find a way to sign both LeBron and Randle, would you rather have...

PG and LeBron, but no Randle; or
PG and Randle, but no LeBron

Though this also seems ridiculously unbalanced, I would rather have Randle, for two reasons:

1. I like the guy better , and

2. While taking LeBron would increase our odds of getting championships in the next 2-3 years, taking Randle would probably increase our odds of getting championships in the 7-8 years after that--both because Randle is much younger than LeBron, and also because signing Randle instead of LeBron will give us a better chance of signing another max or near-max player in the next couple of years, whether it be Kawhi or Klay or AD or whoever.

What do you all think?

Last edited by markjay on Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject:

While on this topic, question - I like ice cream, so what y'all think... chocolate or a swift kick in the nuts?

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
JamezAmp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: