IT or LBJ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Let's say IT gets completely over his hip injury and went back to Boston IT, would you rather have him or Lebron?
IT
23%
 23%  [ 31 ]
Lebron
59%
 59%  [ 78 ]
None of the above
16%
 16%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 131

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject:

Fansince79 wrote:
I like to see young homegrown players to play together for years to come.

PG Ball - 20 years old
SG Hart - 22 years old
SF Ingram - 20 years old
PF/C Randle - 23 years old
C Zubac - 20 years old
SF/PF Kuzma - 22 years old
C/PF Bryant - 20 years old

We basically have everyone in each position. I don't think we need Paul George or LBJ.

Is that why we traded DLO/JC/Nance, just for ISH and giggles then?
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject:

I think the analogy here might be whether you'd pick a 29 year old Nash, or a 34 year old Kobe. An offensive powerhouse who can't play defense, or a two way player who is a proven champion.

Interesting thing, is that Nash's prime years were between 30 and 36... we just happened to get him right when he got the fluke injury. I still firmly believe if Nash didn't break his leg that he would have really contributed as his game and skill set didn't rely on speed. Kobe on the other hand, had one of his best years before the Achilles... and probably would have been good for three years instead of a terrible burden on the team at the end.

If Isaiah is healthy and willing to play as he's been playing, I think he might be another Nash who could really flourish with this team, I also think LeBron would be LeBron for three more years... which means we'd compete for the title immediately and then a transfer would slowly begin where he'd be carrying us, to we'd be carrying him with the youngsters towards the last year or so.

If LeBron was only a player and not a semi owner/GM... no question he still is the safest option. He's the better player. However, LeBron is way more dangerous than IT as a potential cancer, and if he makes us even give away one of Lonzo/BI/Randle/Kuzma... all of the sudden maybe his benefit is negated and then the balance shifts in favor of healthy Isaiah... because then you are talking about IT plus Lonzo, IT plus BI, IT plus Randle, IT plus Kuzma vs. an old LeBron. I think LeBron is the superior player but I think he is a much bigger risk in losing personnel... I also think he will be more expensive which will also cost us a player... which could cost us Randle, or bench depth.

But also IT is a significant risk because of his health and size. If he balls out the rest of the year... you can probably eliminate health as a worry... but you still need to worry about how long he can maintain the athleticism necessary to compensate for his size. However, he's extremely crafty and still is able to get off his shot even with the injury so this is why I brought up the Nash analogy.

If you notice the people posting that considering Isaiah is absurd... it's mostly the same haters that remained silent and lurking last night. They would have said the same thing if we were deciding between a 29 year old Nash and a 34 year old Kobe too (assuming these were players who never were originally Lakers, so you'd remove the loyalty factor) They cannot imagine someone who doesn't fit within their comfortable paradigm of a 6 foot 6 player with 7 foot wingspan with a 48 inch vertical as being a viable choice. You'll notice they reject almost every player who doesn't fit this vision in all their free agent or draft discussions. I won't argue that this is the prototypical perfect NBA player body type today... but then these geniuses would have never drafted players like Bird, Stockton, or Nash.

Keep your minds open people... and look at the facts and not only the exterior.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject:

Who has been an all-NBA performer under 5'10 at ages 30 and beyond (IT turns 30 next February)?

The opportunity cost, in this hypo, is passing on LBJ b/c of IT.

It is absurd.
NBALakerLegends
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Who has been an all-NBA performer under 5'10 at ages 30 and beyond (IT turns 30 next February)?

It is absurd.

This is how you know some posters here have that quick twitch reaction to a few games played. I would honestly project Lebron's decline from 33-39 would be less than IT's decline from 29-32. Lebron will always have the size and strength but his speed may decline a bit. IT on the other hand may be a shell of himself at 32 due to his injuries, size and loss of speed/athleticism.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject:

NBALakerLegends wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

It is absurd.

This is how you know some posters here have that quick twitch reaction to a few games played. I would honestly project Lebron's decline from 33-39 would be less than IT's decline from 29-32. Lebron will always have the size and strength but his speed may decline a bit. IT on the other hand may be a shell of himself at 32 due to his injuries, size and loss of speed/athleticism.

LBJ even has some advantages over Kobe physically just from being a 6'8, 260 pounder who can play multiple positions. Kobe was the man but once he declined athletically, he wasn't able to impose his physicality as much as LBJ will likely do so when he ages.
andrewc
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

It is absurd.

Fine, but what if signing LBJ is going to also cost us losing Randle, which is probable? In the hypothetical situation where the 2018-19 salary cap is $108 million and we have approx $73 mil left to spend on FAs after salaries committed to Ball, Ingram, Kuzma, etc., let's just say we sign PG13 to the max ($30.3 mil) which now leaves us with $43.4 mil to spend. I think it would be a good bet that we could afford to still keep Randle (~$18 mil that DAL could offer) as well as IT (1-year, $20ish mil), whereas in the scenario where we sign both PG13 and LBJ, we got no more $$ and lose IT, Randle, Zubac, etc.

So then it may very well become choosing between:

Randle and IT OR just LBJ.

What then? Also take into account all the drama LBJ brings.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject:

andrewc wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

It is absurd.

Fine, but what if signing LBJ is going to also cost us losing Randle, which is probable? In the hypothetical situation where the 2018-19 salary cap is $108 million and we have approx $73 mil left to spend on FAs after salaries committed to Ball, Ingram, Kuzma, etc., let's just say we sign PG13 to the max ($30.3 mil) which now leaves us with $43.4 mil to spend. I think it would be a good bet that we could afford to still keep Randle (~$18 mil that DAL could offer) as well as IT (1-year, $20ish mil), whereas in the scenario where we sign both PG13 and LBJ, we got no more $$ and lose IT, Randle, Zubac, etc.

I'm fairly certain that the FO would trade Deng if it mean we could keep him with PG13/LBJ.

Not sure PG13 picks Jules/IT over PG13/LBJ either.

IT is not going to age well. It's proven over NBA history, that little guys just have a tough time aging. And he's not the typical "little guy" who is 5'11, he's 5'8-5'9.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
andrewc wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

It is absurd.

I'm fairly certain that the FO would trade Deng if it mean we could keep him with PG13/LBJ.

Not sure PG13 picks Jules/IT over PG13/LBJ either.

IT is not going to age well. It's proven over NBA history, that little guys just have a tough time aging. And he's not the typical "little guy" who is 5'11, he's 5'8-5'9.

His entire career makes no sense if you are going to invoke NBA precedent... and you still haven't addressed the point that LeBron might cost us players either through salary or his influence.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject:

this must be a joke
andrewc
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
this must be a joke

I'd like to offer a possible rebuttal but your response is only just a lazy attack.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject:

Quote:
His entire career makes no sense if you are going to invoke NBA precedent... and you still haven't addressed the point that LeBron might cost us players either through salary or his influence.

It is very possible to trade Deng (Cavs 1st, future Lakers 1st) to keep Jules.

So yes, I'd take LBJ/PG13/Jules for the price of Deng/2 late 1sts/IT.

Influence? That's a thing that can't be quantified. But he's made it to 7 straight finals so he must be doing something right, even if it's in the East.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Influence? That's a thing that can't be quantified. But he's made it to 7 straight finals so he must be doing something right, even if it's in the East.

I said clearly in my post that I'd prefer LeBron if he didn't have any influence over personnel, specifically trading away our young core. So sure, if it ends there I'm fine with that. But considering he just traded away half his team... I think a little concern might be in order if you happen to love our youngsters.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

I said clearly in my post that I'd prefer LeBron if he didn't have any influence over personnel, specifically trading away our young core. So sure, if it ends there I'm fine with that. But considering he just traded away half his team... I think a little concern might be in order if you happen to love our youngsters.

Umm, according to reports, he didn't have much say in the trades?

And they traded for YOUNGER guys and he seems happier. We have that in spades. Just like Miami, he will have a stronger institutional bulwark against him than the Cavs, where he ran rampant.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

And they traded for YOUNGER guys and he seems happier. We have that in spades. Just like Miami, he will have a stronger institutional bulwark against him than the Cavs, where he ran rampant.

So trades occurred that made him happier that had nothing to do with him.

Just pure dumb luck that something the front office did turned out well for LeBron and made him happy... Okay....
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Just pure dumb luck that something the front office did turned out well for LeBron and made him happy... Okay....

Do you have any other source of info that said he orchestrated the trades? I'm just going off of what I read. I'm more than happy to stand corrected.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject:

andrewc wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
this must be a joke

I'd like to offer a possible rebuttal but your response is only just a lazy attack.

the idea is so dumb that a lazy attack is more than sufficient to bring it down
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Do you have any other source of info that said he orchestrated the trades? I'm just going off of what I read. I'm more than happy to stand corrected.

Just using my intuition, in the same way you are using your intuition to determine Isaiah will turn to garbage next year due to age.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Just using my intuition, in the same way you are using your intuition to determine Isaiah will turn to garbage next year due to age.

I've asked for any names of 5'10 or shorter NBA players who play at an all NBA level as they approach 30.

Crickets.
kobe_4_mvp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject:

can you name 10 players under 5'10 who played in the nba in the last 10 years?
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

I've asked for any names of 5'10 or shorter NBA players who play at an all NBA level as they approach 30.

Crickets.

Isaiah is in uncharted territory as no 5 9 player has ever averaged 29 points a game in a season. The others are Calvin Murphy who played until he was 34 and Nate Robinson who got injured... but neither of them were as good as IT.

I agree IT is a risk but I'd rather have IT and keep our youngsters than LeBron and lose two.

If we only lose one youngster because of LeBron I can live with it if it isn't Lonzo or BI

If we lose no youngsters then I am totally happy to have him period.

My argument isn't that LeBron is better than IT... it's only that he's not worth it if he costs us our core.

Last edited by Sentient Meat on Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject:

kobe_4_mvp wrote:
can you name 10 players under 5'10 who played in the nba in the last 10 years?

That's also sort of my point.

He's going to want a longer term deal. No way I'm paying him $$$ for his age 30 to 30+ seasons.

I'm ok if we completely whiff out on LBJ/PG13. I'm ok with using him as a placeholder if we got PG13.

But the premise that THIS FO would pass up on LBJ to keep IT is just asinine.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject:

This question got to 4 pages?

Did I miss something and the offseason already started?
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject:

IT or LBJ? Obviously, the HOFer who combines Magic Johnson's skills and Karl Malone's body.

BUT, if the question is:

(a) Paul George at MAX
Julius Randle at reasonably competitive rate
Isaiah Thomas for a Brinks economy car (instead of a full-on truck)
Stretching Deng to free up Randle salary room
Signing Brook Lopez to a cap exemption

versus

(b) Paul George at MAX
Losing Julius Randle while waiting for LeBron James to make up his mind
Watching the press conference where James says he's keeping his talents in the Land
Signing Isaiah to a mercenary KCP-type 1-year rental deal just to save face.

I'll take (a) any day of the freaking week.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
This question got to 4 pages?

Did I miss something and the offseason already started?

Did you just wake up and realize this? The offseason never really ended. There was a brief period of elation when Kuzma got off to a hot start, and there was a period of panic when Ball sucked for the first six weeks or so. Otherwise, this whole season has been about July 2018.

That's what the bulk of the posts have been about, other than the game threads and the like. People are more interested in arguing about D'Angelo Russell and Jim Buss than anything about the current team. This is understandable, because the current team is full of placeholders like Casey P., Lopez, and IT, who will be around next year only if Magic's grandiose plans fail. Eric Pincus keeps churning out articles about wacky offseason scenarios (Kuzma will lure Lebron to LA, the Spurs will trade us Leonard for Ingram and Deng, etc.) that would usually get gonged during the offseason. The eyes of Laker Nation are fixed on July 2018, not March 2018. The only relevance to the season is that we want to give the Celtics as few ping-pong balls as possible.
KobeIsTheOne
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
IT or LBJ? Obviously, the HOFer who combines Magic Johnson's skills and Karl Malone's body.

BUT, if the question is:

(a) Paul George at MAX
Julius Randle at reasonably competitive rate
Isaiah Thomas for a Brinks economy car (instead of a full-on truck)
Stretching Deng to free up Randle salary room
Signing Brook Lopez to a cap exemption

versus

(b) Paul George at MAX
Losing Julius Randle while waiting for LeBron James to make up his mind
Watching the press conference where James says he's keeping his talents in the Land
Signing Isaiah to a mercenary KCP-type 1-year rental deal just to save face.

I'll take (a) any day of the freaking week.

Yes, agreed, it's THIS.

Even if we were to get LeBron, I'd RATHER have Paul George/Randle/I.T. than Paul George/LBJ and have to LOSE Randle AND Thomas.

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-130129/daily-dime

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/kobe-bryant-thinks-neo-matrix-could-ve-best-174850191--nba.html
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: