Joel Embiid marveled at Wilt Chamberlain's athleticism during the ASG - I put together a vid of what he was on about
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
dantheman9758
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 10 Jan 2012
Posts: 474

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Joel Embiid marveled at Wilt Chamberlain's athleticism during the ASG - I put together a vid of what he was on about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCRIB6ZBSA4

Some anecdotes and clips of the kind of footage Embiid is talking about. Wilt might be the most athletic human ever with that kind of size or at least right up there at the top with anyone else. I remember years ago before there was so much footage and all the anecdotes were just written in books and articles the vibe from fans was that the anecdotes were viewed with more skepticism because some of the commonly shared clips were fairly pedestrian (and grainy and slow motion). I think with the more modern database of footage you can sort of start to fill in the blanks where the testimony and the available footage are both starting to line up - heck even Embiid is sold after seeing some of the newer clips that have surfaced over the past few years. Anyways hope you guys enjoy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Ted
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 3333

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject:

Great video. My starting 5 all time will now include Wilt at center.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dantheman9758
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 10 Jan 2012
Posts: 474

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject:

Ted wrote:
Great video. My starting 5 all time will now include Wilt at center.

Out of curiosity who was on it before?

Jabbar and Russell, Shaq and a few others aren't bad alternatives depending on what you're looking for. My personal 2nd pick would probably be Jabbar if I wanted lots of posting up on my team and the other 4 guys had some capable rebounders in there, and my 3rd would be Russell if the other 4 guys picked were ATG scorers that liked to run but needed a stand out rebounder / defensive anchor
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Ted
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 3333

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject:

dantheman9758 wrote:
Ted wrote:
Great video. My starting 5 all time will now include Wilt at center.

Out of curiosity who was on it before?

Jabbar and Russell, Shaq and a few others aren't bad alternatives depending on what you're looking for. My personal 2nd pick would probably be Jabbar if I wanted lots of posting up on my team and the other 4 guys had some capable rebounders in there, and my 3rd would be Russell if the other 4 guys picked were ATG scorers that liked to run but needed a stand out rebounder / defensive anchor


Probably between Cap and Shaq. Hakeem would be up there as well. Thinking about it now, Wilt would be the ideal center for today's run and gun up and down style. Especially if he really ran a 4.4 40.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Sentient Meat
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 04 Jul 2014
Posts: 7294

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject:

He played 48 minutes a game... never fouled out... shot 73% FG the year he retired... Mythological stuff.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
MJST
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 16783

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject:

Would still put Kareem first.

But Wilt was as athletic a freak as it comes!
_________________
How NBA 2K18 failed the All-Time Lakers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxMBYm3wwxk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 11 Oct 2012
Posts: 29288

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:47 pm    Post subject:

7'8" wingspan! lol well ok. He looked ridiculous running the floor too. He actually might have been great today...kind of guarantee he would have. ok.

I don't usually give it up to the older older generation of players, but Wilt looks great. Imagine him in a Capela role. lol.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Wino
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Jun 2002
Posts: 9361
Location: San Diego

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject:

what the hell is a Capela role?

We are talking Wilt here, he does not fill other peoples rolls, he creates his own!
_________________
I support Magic and Rob!!

Never argue with stupid people! They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!! - Twain

And Vecsey is the most stupid of them all!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 11 Oct 2012
Posts: 29288

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
what the hell is a Capela role?

We are talking Wilt here, he does not fill other peoples rolls, he creates his own!


ya when......nvm

Even in that modern role for a Center...I think he averages 20/15 and DPOY..and he can be a high post facilitator..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Wino
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Jun 2002
Posts: 9361
Location: San Diego

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:48 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Wino wrote:
what the hell is a Capela role?

We are talking Wilt here, he does not fill other peoples rolls, he creates his own!


ya when......nvm

Even in that modern role for a Center...I think he averages 20/15 and DPOY..and he can be a high post facilitator..


Yeah, Jordan would only average around 12 in todays game. Look Wilt would still shoot 65% and nobody could come close to stopping him. Nobody! This is a man who averaged over 50ppg for a whole season. That man would be MVP in this league right now.
_________________
I support Magic and Rob!!

Never argue with stupid people! They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!! - Twain

And Vecsey is the most stupid of them all!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Posts: 15485
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject:

4.4sec/40yd dash at his size. Just incredible. I wonder how many strides it took him to run that distance.

About the only modern player who compares in terms of length and athleticism is Giannis but he'll never have Wilt's strength. That was God given.

I love the B&W footage from his Kansas days. You really get an idea how big he was compared to normal size people.
_________________
"Suck it up. Don't be a baby. Do your job." - Kobe Bryant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 17 Sep 2008
Posts: 18032
Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject:

With the caveat that I'm well aware player-in-different era discussions always spiral, are impossible to prove and never get resolved, I'll add my two cents - If Wilt played today with the size, strength and athleticism he had in 1967, there's no way he wouldn't be the most dominant center in today's game. And he had the speed for quite a few years to play in today's game. Quarter mile in 49 seconds, there's an objective measure that doesn't change with time. I'm curious how many current NBA players ran track and field at some point and if there were even close? I doubt any big men would come anywhere near that mark. Same size as Shaq but much more athletic, basically. With a 7 foot 8 wingspan. Was that Tex Schram's voice in the video describing him starting just outside the free throw circle and dunking it from the free throw line?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Dec 2007
Posts: 28671
Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Washington, DC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject:

Was Wilt more athletic than Shaq?
_________________
Damian Lillard shatters Dwight Coward's championship dreams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZrbEjppnd4
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2001
Posts: 10292

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
7'8" wingspan! lol well ok. He looked ridiculous running the floor too. He actually might have been great today...kind of guarantee he would have. ok.

I don't usually give it up to the older older generation of players, but Wilt looks great. Imagine him in a Capela role. lol.


He'd be bigger, stronger, faster and more athletic than Embiid, Davis, Giannis, Cousins, etc. He could do all those circus passes that Jokic makes. He had flaws as a player, otherwise he would have won every year--but as an athlete, no, not really any flaws.

It's hard to project with a player from decades ago who didn't go through the same training and coaching as modern players. But he'd likely have a 3 point shot, and he'd likely be used as a play making center ala Cousins and Jokic. With the natural ability he had he would be a top 5 player in the league, and pretty easily replicate a Cousin's-esque 25+/12+/5+ while leading the league in blocks and being a perennial DPOY candidate. So nothing like Capela (other than he'd be an even deadlier finisher playing alongside a Harden or Paul).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Sep 2001
Posts: 7952
Location: Eagle Rock

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Was Wilt more athletic than Shaq?


Yes, and he kept himself in shape much better than Snaq did.

Wilt is so underrated by everyone. He was just toying with people out there. And even if he was a black hole on offense for some years he always played lights out D.

He could jump like a guard and had what a 7'8" wingspan? To me it is Jordan who? Wilt is the GOAT.
_________________
R.I.P. Doc Buss
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Posts: 15485
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Was Wilt more athletic than Shaq?


Yes, and he kept himself in shape much better than Snaq did.



45.8mpg average for his career. Even at the end of his career when he was 36, he still averaged over 43mpg. Jimmy Butler is currently leading the NBA in mpg at 37mpg.
_________________
"Suck it up. Don't be a baby. Do your job." - Kobe Bryant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 May 2001
Posts: 1469
Location: Venice, California

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject:

Wilt said Kareem was the all time greatest NBA player.
_________________
"Bobbin' and weavin' and let the good get even"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 26468

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject:

Wilt was the most amazing physical specimen ever seen in sports. In today's game he would be unarguable by the undersized centers. The problem he would pose in the post would be incredible and his speed and athleticism would allow him to play defense out in the perimeter when they wanted to go out and shoot 3s. He would easily average 30/15. Imagine Shaq's strength with Lebron's athleticism and speed, that's Wilt.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Aug 2017
Posts: 2236

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject:

So much exaggeration and hyperbole when it comes to Wilt. I don't trust any of the athletic feat #s associate with Wilt unless it was an official time at a sanctioned event. No anecdotes.

I'd still take Shaq over Wilt for most dominant player through eras.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Sep 2001
Posts: 7952
Location: Eagle Rock

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
So much exaggeration and hyperbole when it comes to Wilt. I don't trust any of the athletic feat #s associate with Wilt unless it was an official time at a sanctioned event. No anecdotes.

I'd still take Shaq over Wilt for most dominant player through eras.


50 PPG and over 25 RPG averages for a whole season in the officially sanctioned NBA enough for you? Did Snaq ever average over 14 rpg? Did he ever average over 30 PPG? Wilt would destroy him.
_________________
R.I.P. Doc Buss
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 27 Feb 2016
Posts: 1063

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
7'8" wingspan! lol well ok. He looked ridiculous running the floor too. He actually might have been great today...kind of guarantee he would have. ok.

I don't usually give it up to the older older generation of players, but Wilt looks great. Imagine him in a Capela role. lol.


He'd be bigger, stronger, faster and more athletic than Embiid, Davis, Giannis, Cousins, etc. He could do all those circus passes that Jokic makes. He had flaws as a player, otherwise he would have won every year--but as an athlete, no, not really any flaws.

It's hard to project with a player from decades ago who didn't go through the same training and coaching as modern players. But he'd likely have a 3 point shot, and he'd likely be used as a play making center ala Cousins and Jokic. With the natural ability he had he would be a top 5 player in the league, and pretty easily replicate a Cousin's-esque 25+/12+/5+ while leading the league in blocks and being a perennial DPOY candidate. So nothing like Capela (other than he'd be an even deadlier finisher playing alongside a Harden or Paul).

I love how he'd automatically be a 3 point shooter in this scenario lol
_________________
If Brandon Knight were to come out, I would take him number 1 in the draft. - Magic Johnson Mar 27, 2011

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 37218

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Was Wilt more athletic than Shaq?


I’ve seen the tape. Yep. Strong (won his championship here with a broken hand). Pogo stick athletic. His second jump was jaw dropping.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Aug 2017
Posts: 2236

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
So much exaggeration and hyperbole when it comes to Wilt. I don't trust any of the athletic feat #s associate with Wilt unless it was an official time at a sanctioned event. No anecdotes.

I'd still take Shaq over Wilt for most dominant player through eras.


50 PPG and over 25 RPG averages for a whole season in the officially sanctioned NBA enough for you? Did Snaq ever average over 14 rpg? Did he ever average over 30 PPG? Wilt would destroy him.


Shaq would put up 70 and 50 in that era
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dantheman9758
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 10 Jan 2012
Posts: 474

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
So much exaggeration and hyperbole when it comes to Wilt. I don't trust any of the athletic feat #s associate with Wilt unless it was an official time at a sanctioned event. No anecdotes.

I'd still take Shaq over Wilt for most dominant player through eras.


50 PPG and over 25 RPG averages for a whole season in the officially sanctioned NBA enough for you? Did Snaq ever average over 14 rpg? Did he ever average over 30 PPG? Wilt would destroy him.


Shaq would put up 70 and 50 in that era

Shaq would be unguardable in any era

But the reasons Wilt put up those numbers is in large part the amount of minutes he was able to be on the floor. Something Phil even challenged Shaq to do, Shaq had many qualities that were very much similar to Wilt and even you could say had one leg up on mass which was just crazy but a key to the averages of Wilt was stamina and stamina was not one of the things Wilt and Shaq had in common

Also, the way Shaq played would look different in the 60's, bump and backdown was not a strategy in that era due to strict offensive charge calls so Shaq would have probably evolved a bit differently in order to get around players better if he played with that eras set of rules. I'm sure he'd have adjusted and done just fine and dominated. But would he just usurp, let alone duplicate what Wilt did? I'm not entirely sold on that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 37218

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
So much exaggeration and hyperbole when it comes to Wilt. I don't trust any of the athletic feat #s associate with Wilt unless it was an official time at a sanctioned event. No anecdotes.

I'd still take Shaq over Wilt for most dominant player through eras.


50 PPG and over 25 RPG averages for a whole season in the officially sanctioned NBA enough for you? Did Snaq ever average over 14 rpg? Did he ever average over 30 PPG? Wilt would destroy him.


Shaq would put up 70 and 50 in that era


https://youtu.be/3OIJ8RpXzF8?t=7m53s

I don’t think Shaq could make a play like that. Wilt was so physically gifted.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB