How can the Lakers hide IT on defense?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject:

I heard he fits inside the valuables safe that they have in the lockers. That's probably it.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
RoyalPurple8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:41 am    Post subject:

Just not a fan. Its crazy , he could lead us to incredible 8th spot journey and I would still not want to resign him.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:44 am    Post subject:

RoyalPurple8 wrote:
Just not a fan. Its crazy , he could lead us to incredible 8th spot journey and I would still not want to resign him.

Well, one thing he doesnt fit: The two way player mold Maginka have been advocating.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:15 am    Post subject:

You cant hide him. Too short and too bad defensively.
He need to play major minutes in 2Q and some in 3Q. In 4th teams will exploit him every time.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:22 am    Post subject:

How were the Celtics able to have such success last season with this guy as their best player? He seems like a chucker who is abysmally, historically, almost unfathomably bad on defense.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:58 am    Post subject:

You need to surround Isaiah with four good defenders with length, preferably with at least one ball pressure guard. Boston had three in Smart, Bradley and Rozier. They also had length in Crowder and Brown while Horford was one of the best defensive bigs in the league.

Once Zo is back I think we will have the defenders with length part, though Lopez will have to work hard to do his best Horford impersonation. We also lack the pressure guard (wish Pope was the defensive guard his rep suggested). Ironically Nance would have been a good fit for what we need.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject:

easier to just reduce IT's minutes .
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject:

blackmamba08 wrote:
He need to play major minutes in 2Q and some in 3Q. In 4th teams will exploit him every time.

I’m never of the mindset that you can’t hide a defensive liability in a team sport. Boston was a top 10 defense last year with IT even more heavily involved. I’d say the same about offense. You can be a good offensive team even with a poor offensive player on the court.

Of course, this doesn’t make me a big IT fan or anything, just saying that good defensive teams have a sieve individual defender all the time. That, in a way, is what good defensive teams do. They figure out how to play to their strengths and how to limit their weaknesses.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject:

If you added IT's attacking ability to OKC with Roberson and Adams backing him up... we'd never win another game against them at least until we signed the two elites.

Instead of thinking about how this plan will only fail... why not help find solutions before a superior coach does?

He is a defensive liability... but also way better than some journeyman like Tyreke who's never really moved the needle for anyone his entire career. (except for maybe this season)

This situation reminds me of how no one wanted to sign Rondo because of his so called chemistry issues and people kept extolling the praises of Ennis who had five good games during garbage time last season. Or people who don't want to take a chance on Cousins and sign up Brook instead.

If there's a readily available safe choice... there's usually a reason why... because that person is average or unexceptional.

If you want a great player... you need to either already have a great franchise... or at some point take a risk and take a chance on an undervalued asset who has been damaged due to injury or reputation. You will never build it just signing up mediocre players off the waiver wire.

Let's find an answer and use this kid... before someone like Stevens does.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Can’t.
beat me to it.

you can hide a dirk because he was still 7 feet tall. you call a zone to semi zone and tell him to keep his hands up. thats still 7 feet of man. IT on the other hand can't be hidden. it is what it is.
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
If you added IT's attacking ability to OKC with Roberson and Adams backing him up... we'd never win another game against them at least until we signed the two elites.

Instead of thinking about how this plan will only fail... why not help find solutions before a superior coach does?

He is a defensive liability... but also way better than some journeyman like Tyreke who's never really moved the needle for anyone his entire career. (except for maybe this season)

This situation reminds me of how no one wanted to sign Rondo because of his so called chemistry issues and people kept extolling the praises of Ennis who had five good games during garbage time last season. Or people who don't want to take a chance on Cousins and sign up Brook instead.

If there's a readily available safe choice... there's usually a reason why... because that person is average or unexceptional.

If you want a great player... you need to either already have a great franchise... or at some point take a risk and take a chance on an undervalued asset who has been damaged due to injury or reputation. You will never build it just signing up mediocre players off the waiver wire.

We don’t have a Steven Adams backing him up in the paint... we have Brook Lopez and 6’9” Randle.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject:

Keep him away from the other bad defenders and we'll be fine. So, play him with Lopez, Randle @ forward, BI or Brewer, Hart or Lonzo.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject:

ESPN just posted a stat that the Mavs shot 44% when IT was in the game last night, 73% when he was on the bench. So yeah, there are lot of unjustified hot takes in this thread. R-E-L-A-X, relax...
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject:

BizLA wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

We don’t have a Steven Adams backing him up in the paint... we have Brook Lopez and 6’9” Randle.

My point all along has been that we need one, regardless of whether we keep him. Randle has been doing great, but he cannot slow two seven footers... and surprising amounts of teams have them... and about five more good ones will be entering the league next season.

I think that's why they were entertaining Chriss... raw though he was.
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
ESPN just posted a stat that the Mavs shot 44% when IT was in the game last night, 73% when he was on the bench. So yeah, there are lot of unjustified hot takes in this thread. R-E-L-A-X, relax...

Don’t care about any of you or ESPN’s stats. I watched the game, with my eyes, the Mavs punished Thomas on defense all night. And they ain’t even a good team. A good team will destroy us with that midget on the court.
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
BizLA wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

My point all along has been that we need one, regardless of whether we keep him. Randle has been doing great, but he cannot slow two seven footers... and surprising amounts of teams have them... and about five more good ones will be entering the league next season.

I think that's why they were entertaining Chriss... raw though he was.

And to think some of LG wants Randle as the starting center of the future...a 6’9” guy. It’s laughable.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject:

BizLA wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:

Don’t care about any of you or ESPN’s stats. I watched the game, with my eyes, the Mavs punished Thomas on defense all night. And they ain’t even a good team. A good team will destroy us with that midget on the court.

Ok man. That first sentence is all I need to know about you.
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
BizLA wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:

Ok man. That first sentence is all I need to know about you.

Yup. I know basketball. It’s painful to watch a team expose a midget all night, having to double his man and leave guys wide open, or just letting guys get right into the paint cause he can’t stay in front of sh-t. Thomas made Doug McDermott look like a slasher, and Collinsworth some white boy I never heard of looked like 6’6” Hakeem with Thomas on him in the post.

And this was the Dallas Mavericks. The worst team in the west. Just wait until we have to face a good team with mr. 5’8” on D
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject:

Run him with tall athletic dude's.

Ball
Bi
Randle

They can rotate fast enough for the switch and or help defense
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject:

I still don't blame the D last night all on IT

Dal was making everything they had no dry spells. Even with our Best defensive unit on the court.

The energy and everything just went their way.
HermosaJoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject:

Luke Walton is not Brad Stevens or other good coaches. Walton will not figure out how to use/hide IT properly. Heck, he cannot even figure out how to use Lopez! Thus, unfortunately IT will fail.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Can’t.
beat me to it.

you can hide a dirk because he was still 7 feet tall. you call a zone to semi zone and tell him to keep his hands up. thats still 7 feet of man. IT on the other hand can't be hidden. it is what it is.

I actually think it is the opposite. Much easier to hide a PG than a big.
durden-tyler
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject:

HermosaJoe wrote:
Luke Walton is not Brad Stevens or other good coaches. Walton will not figure out how to use/hide IT properly. Heck, he cannot even figure out how to use Lopez! Thus, unfortunately IT will fail.

Yeah that's why we are almost a top 10 defensive team despite giving lot of time to rookies or second year players. The anti-Luke agenda needs to stop...
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject:

Only play him against the opposing team's bench. If he doesn't like it, give him the Luol Deng treatment.
ShowtimeReturns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject:

blackmamba08 wrote:

You can't hide him in Lukes system he switches everything its not going to work.
His individual defense is pretty horrible I counted over 10 times he lost his man or his man blew by him. On the plus side he can still score at a high level.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8
Jump to: