How can the Lakers hide IT on defense?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject:

IBWriter wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
So did Isaiah even have anything to do with Boston's success last season? Sure, he averaged 29 points, but how many did he give up? I think even last season, his overall impact was pretty much that of a borderline all-star despite the fact that his name was in the MVP discussion.

I still can't believe the Cavs gave up Kyrie for this guy and the Brooklyn pick.

Adding to that, when IT went down last year in the playoffs, the Celtics played better without him.

I don't blame the Lakers' poor defensive effort against the Mavs on IT, but their problems are fixable. IT? Maybe if he can grow to 6'5.

I'd settle for the 5'8" he's listed at ...
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject:

I think the lack of a vocal team captain who understands where to direct people on defense really hurts the Lakers. Who else besides Larry Nance can fill that role?
DrumR
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject:

diando wrote:
Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
It ain't all on IT tonight. The team defense sucked for 17 minutes when IT was sitting on the bench!

/thread
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
I think the lack of a vocal team captain who understands where to direct people on defense really hurts the Lakers. Who else besides Larry Nance can fill that role?

Lopez, Ingram, Hart, KCP, maybe
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

Lopez, Ingram, Hart, KCP, maybe

I think Lopez could provide the rim protection and perhaps direct a bit out there. He's probably closer than the rest of the list. When IT's out there, we could use Lopez at the rim and Randle on perimeter defense IMO. Ingram and Hart certainly help round out a defense that can react if IT gets burned. Once Ball gets back that may change this dynamic for the better. Stick IT on the worst outside shooter and funnel. Don't rely on Kuzma for defense in the closing minutes if IT's playing, and ffs don't let Randle get gassed by playing him way too long in the third quarter, then stick him on a red hot 7'1" center while he's oxygen deprived big time.

That, plus a little on-floor leadership. Maybe Luke would have better luck with IT that way?
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject:

"Hiding" or insulating him from attack seems near impossible, if the future Laker model is going to be based on the concept of Lonzo guarding perimeter players. The prospect of IT on the floor with a second poor in space defender is a frightening thing to consider.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject:

they mostly switch. not much schemes, traps and doubles. So its impossible to keep playing that way with him on the floor.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject:

It should be just a short term problem. No pun intended.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject:

How do you hide any bad defender? For good team defenses, this isn't a major issue. If a guy gets beat, the help comes, the helpers helper rotates and everybody communicates to minimize reaction time and defensive breakdowns. Since defense is at the mercy of the offense the majority of the time it will come down to pure effort. As long as everyone is putting in their best effort and keeping active we will be alright.
LakersDC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject:

I know I'm in the minority here, but while our D was not great, I felt as if our rotations were not bad - the Mavs were just hitting everything (including Dirk looking like young Dirk). Combine that with our inability to secure defensive rebounds when they did miss, and we give up 130 points.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
How do you hide any bad defender? For good team defenses, this isn't a major issue. If a guy gets beat, the help comes, the helpers helper rotates and everybody communicates to minimize reaction time and defensive breakdowns. Since defense is at the mercy of the offense the majority of the time it will come down to pure effort. As long as everyone is putting in their best effort and keeping active we will be alright.

This brings me back to the idea of playing Randle way too long without a breather in the third quarter then closing the game expecting him to protect the rim against 7' 1" centers, with Lopez sitting on the bench and a so-so defending Kuzma out there at the 4 for more offense that IT already can provide. Maybe Luke's a genius and somehow has a way to make this work but it looks like a pretty stupid screw up to me.

I think even having a fair assessment of the Lakers' ability to hide IT on defense comes down to putting players in position to do so and seeing if it works considering his offense, instead of making it as hard as possible.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
trablos wrote:

This brings me back to the idea of playing Randle way too long without a breather in the third quarter then closing the game expecting him to protect the rim against 7' 1" centers, with Lopez sitting on the bench and a so-so defending Kuzma out there at the 4 for more offense that IT already can provide. Maybe Luke's a genius and somehow has a way to make this work but it looks like a pretty stupid screw up to me.

I think even having a fair assessment of the Lakers' ability to hide IT on defense comes down to putting players in position to do so and seeing if it works considering his offense, instead of making it as hard as possible.

Yeah Luke certainly has his work cut out for him. With Nance out he has less options at his disposal.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject:

"Deng" him.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
"Deng" him.

just waive him and drop him off at a Toys 'R Us......no need for the disruption to the way we have been playing on defense before he arrived.
IBWriter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:
"Deng" him.

just waive him and drop him off at a Toys 'R Us......no need for the disruption to the way we have been playing on defense before he arrived.

splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject:

jmnluvr wrote:
mookielala wrote:
Watching some of the post-game interviews, it seems like the team and Luke agree that the biggest problem on defense was a lack of communication, guys weren't talking. I've heard Larry say he took it upon himself to direct the defense when he was out on the floor. We probably missed him a lot. And maybe the guys just got discombobulated with the change in lineups. I expect Luke will drill down on this for the next game. It might not be as bad. God, I hope so.

esto

if you dont talk, defense will be suspect unless you've played together for so long you already know each other so well you know what the next guys is going to do.

But the lakers are full of dudes that are not natural TALKERS per se. I dont know if IT is a talker or not.

Brook could be that guy. maybe kcp. but i dont hear kcp saying much either.
LAKERMIKE2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject:

Not sure if this was said, but you hide his defense by NOT playing him last 2-3 minutes of the game or at least sub him in & out like other coaches do LUKE! No way in heck should he have played entire 4th qt anyway, NO SENSE WHATS-SO-EVER!

BTW, does anyone think Clarkson & or Nance are talking trash to LBJ about Lakers organization, etc...

HC: Riley
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject:

LAKERMIKE2 wrote:
Not sure if this was said, but you hide his defense by NOT playing him last 2-3 minutes of the game or at least sub him in & out like other coaches do LUKE! No way in heck should he have played entire 4th qt anyway, NO SENSE WHATS-SO-EVER!

BTW, does anyone think Clarkson & or Nance are talking trash to LBJ about Lakers organization, etc...

JC be like "they will never love you like Bean"....

honestly, I do not see JC or Nance using too much energy bad mouthing the Lakers.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Let him Score
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
LAKERMIKE2 wrote:

JC be like "they will never love you like Bean"....

honestly, I do not see JC or Nance using too much energy bad mouthing the Lakers.

JC yes Nance no
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject:

Thomas is TERRIBLE! OMG I have never seen anything like that on defense. We will lose a lot of games if we continue to give him minutes.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject:

I think the Lakers should look at film of how Boston played defense with IT on the court. I think they will find that they can use Josh Hart much like the way Marcus Smart helped mask IT's deficensies.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Thomas is TERRIBLE! OMG I have never seen anything like that on defense. We will lose a lot of games if we continue to give him minutes.

you haven't been watching the Lakers play defense the last few years have you.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject:

LAKERMIKE2 wrote:

Does anyone think that Lebron cares what Clarkson and Nance think about . . . well, anything?
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject:

Larry was the heart and soul of the bench. We shouldn't have to give him up in the trade. Taking IT off of Cleveland's hand was a blessing for them already.

Bottom line is we were winning with what we have. The chemistry was there. The team was jelling. We had to go and make more dumb moves in order to "have a chance" at securing supposedly better players in the future. In that regard, we sacrifice our present in order to have a chance at a brighter future. I really, really hope it works out. Otherwise, Magic's gotta go.

Look at what IT did to Cleveland and Lebron had the front seat to seeing what was happening. Do you think Lebron would even consider coming here if we signed IT??
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8
Jump to: