A "Guarantee" was made.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donia Jamieson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: A "Guarantee" was made.

Dr. Jerry Buss "Guaranteed" that this team will make the playoffs. Not that he hopes, or it's possible.....he flat out guaranteed we make the playoffs. He MUST commit himself to recognizing that, otherwise he will lose credibility if he does nothing to improve this team.

So many apologists still exist, asking how we dare question the path this org is taking ("we have 14 championships, how dare you question the great owner...blah blah blah). I am not questioning jackcrap, I am only holding Dr. Buss to the promise he made this season ticket holder at the begining of the season. I laid my money down on the good Dr's dedication to, and I quote, "never have a season like last years again."...... I am currently an unsatisfied customer at this point in the season, but it's not too late.

The Buss family/ Kupchak, can still fufill the promise and guarantee he made to us. The trade deadline has not passed us, and the ball is in their court. The Lakers cannot afford to alienate the fans with false promises. I believe Buss will take head and push Kupchak to make a move, because at this point IT MUST be done.

The Dr's word is at stake here. A promise to the fan was made. WE WILL HOLD HIM TO IT.

Last edited by Donia Jamieson on Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
astrallionheart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Was a playoff berth guaranteed last year?
Donia Jamieson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject:

astrallionheart wrote:
Was a playoff berth guaranteed last year?

The "guarantee" was made by Buss regarding this season in response to last seasons unfortunate debacle.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: A "Guarantee" was made.

Donia Jamieson wrote:
Dr. Jerry Buss "Guaranteed" that this team will make the playoffs. Not that he hopes, or it's possible.....he flat out guaranteed we make the playoffs. He MUST commit himself to recognizing that, otherwise he will lose credibility if he does nothing to improve this team.

So many apologists still exist, asking how we dare question the path this org is taking ("we have 14 championships, how dare you question the great owner...blah blah blah). I am not questioning jackcrap, I am only holding Dr. Buss to the promise he made this season ticket holder at the begining of the season. I laid my money down on the good Dr's dedication to, and I quote, "never have a season like last years again."...... I am currently an unsatisfied customer at this point in the season, but it's not too late.

The Buss family/ Kupchak, can still fufill the promise and guarantee he made to us. The trade deadline has not passed us, and the ball is in their court. The Lakers cannot afford to alienate the fans with false promises. I believe Buss will take head and push Kupchak to make a move, because at this point IT MUST be done.

The Dr's word is at stake here. A promise to the fan was made. WE WILL HOLD HIM TO IT.

As of today Dr. Buss has been true to his word. As a matter of fact, he's been true to his word for the entire season. The Lakers are only one of 11 teams that have been a playoff team everyday since week one of the season. Seems a bit premature to be worrying about whether or not Dr. Buss is keeping his word. He's a 25+ year track record of doing so, and thus far he's doing so this season. I'd call that earning enough respect to at least wait until the Lakers are out of playoff contention before I'd start challenging the mans honesty and alluding to his honorability. He's earned at least that.....
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject:

So can they miss the playoffs first before you actually jump to the conclusion that he will be off?

Buss' knowledge as a owner is unmatched in the NBA.

Name me one other owner that has had that sort of success and had two dynasties built in his run?

If the less than 3 decades he's been here - the Lakers have been the finals 12 times. They have been in the playoffs every year minus 2.

So I would give him the BOD

And lets wait and see if that guarantee actually folds or holds.

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: A "Guarantee" was made.

Donia Jamieson wrote:

We will make the playoffs. We're in the 8th seed as we speak and have just finished the most difficult part of our schedule. Thus, barring injuries, we'll make the post-season.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: A "Guarantee" was made.

LakerJam wrote:
Donia Jamieson wrote:

We will make the playoffs. We're in the 8th seed as we speak and have just finished the most difficult part of our schedule. Thus, barring injuries, we'll make the post-season.

would that include losing 2 of 3 at home?
El Ocho
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject:

In Buss I Trust
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: A "Guarantee" was made.

bounty wrote:
LakerJam wrote:
Donia Jamieson wrote:

would that include losing 2 of 3 at home?

Yep...The Lakers could have opened up the season winning 45 games in a row and then turned right around and closed the season by losing the final 37 games & if they make the playoffs, then Dr. Buss has kept his word. Never did Dr. Buss say fans weren't going to get frustrated, nor did he guarantee a championship. He most definitely did nt say he was going to approve stupid trades that would hamstring the teams ability to sustain being good in the future. He said a BETTER product on the floor and a playoff berth. Unless this team closes out by only winning 9 of their remianing games, as long as they make the playoffs, then the guarantee has been fulfilled...
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Common sense would tell us that Buss and company will make a move if it helps the team this year without jeapardising the team in the long run.

To make a move otherwise is unwise. In other words a move just to make a move without regard to the ramifications will not be done, hopefully. Thus a move that satisfies the above may not be possible and I for one will not be at odds with management within this criteria if it is deemed an impossible task.

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
Kazaam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject:

El Ocho wrote:
In Buss I Trust

You better be careful in which Buss you trust in. He's stupid ass son is worrying the hell out of me.
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject:

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
Common sense would tell us that Buss and company will make a move if it helps the team this year without jeapardising the team in the long run.

To make a move otherwise is unwise. In other words a move just to make a move without regard to the ramifications will not be done, hopefully. Thus a move that satisfies the above may not be possible and I for one will not be at odds with management within this criteria if it is deemed an impossible task.

How difficult is it to make a trade that will make this team better? Really folks, this team is terrible. It wouldn't take a big trade to make this team a little better.

A. Williams wasn't a big move but it's made a big impact with the Hornets. They're 5-1 since he arrived. Williams was named player of the game for two of those wins.

C. Atkins wasn't a big move but it shores up the point guard play for Memphis. Atkins scored 10 pts out of the final 20 pts for Memphis to upset the Lakers in LA.

There are plenty of moves that can help this Laker roster, if Lakers management are capable of getting them done.
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject:

To all of thise who profess blind faith in Jerry Buss, I have only two words to say in response: King Lear.

SGH
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
To all of thise who profess blind faith in Jerry Buss, I have only two words to say in response: King Lear.

SGH

Then who is Cordelia?
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Buss is a business Man. he pays a lot of people a lot of money to:
*Evaluate players in the draft and throughout the league
*To find players that best fit the system and staples of the team
*To maintain the image of the team
He spends the $$$. he has never been cheap. He cant have his fingers in every dike. he has to be able to trust. If not he/we are screwed. Murdoch, gates, Jobs etc. are the same way.
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Buss is a business Man. he pays a lot of people a lot of money

psst . . . then he's spending it rather poorly, I'd say.

Of course, as a season ticket holder and die-hard fan, I'm probably guilty of the same.
Sonicc64
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject:

right, now... I'd rather have Mark Cuban as owner over Jerry Buss.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: A "Guarantee" was made.

Donia Jamieson wrote:

We're in 8th now.

Triangle teams get better as they go along each of their first season or
two while the system sets in and becomes second-nature to them.

We have more home-games during our final-stretch than any team in the league.

If there's not a good move available, forcing a trade at fanship-gunpoint
is not the answer, but thanks for trying to push Dr. Buss into it
nonetheless.

We have 14 championships, how dare you question the great owner!

Raptor2k
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject:

Sonicc64 wrote:

KA_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
So can they miss the playoffs first before you actually jump to the conclusion that he will be off?

Uh oh, will we have a repeat of wolf's playoff guarantee and leaving this board?

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Name me one other owner that has had that sort of success and had two dynasties built in his run?

First name me one other owner that has had Jerry West, and then tell me how well Jerry Buss' Lakers have done when West hasn't been there to pick the players and build the teams.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject:

KA_2 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Uh oh, will we have a repeat of wolf's playoff guarantee and leaving this board?

wolfpaclaker wrote:

First name me one other owner that has had Jerry West, and then tell me how well Jerry Buss' Lakers have done when West hasn't been there to pick the players and build the teams.

Sharman built the first dynasty. Not West. So Buss has actually done better without West than he's done with him. Jerry West was hired in 1982 AFTER Sharman had acquired Kareem & Magic and those two had won a championship. West did not create that team. He inherited a Ferrari and then drove it...
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
KA_2 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Sharman built the first dynasty. Not West. So Buss has actually done better without West than he's done with him. Jerry West was hired in 1982 AFTER Sharman had acquired Kareem & Magic and those two had won a championship. West did not create that team. He inherited a Ferrari and then drove it...

Well, West did add some key pieces: B-Scott; McAdoo, Thompson, Rambis, Kupchak, Big Game, A.C., Coop (?) ... etc. I agree that Sharman started the ball rolling, and he should be acknowledged more. IMO, he's the second most key Laker FO in the team's history (actually, more like 1A to Jerry's #1). But, Jerry did finish assembling the showtime era squad, then put together the exciting Lakeshow era team, then put together the tree-ring Juggernaut. Mitch's additions during years 2 and 3 were rather minimal, but not unimportant. But I would argue that they were far less than what Jerry added to SHowtime.

At the very least, Jerry deserves some credit for the threepeat, just as Bill Walsh deserves some credit for the Geirge Seifert championships for the 49'ers.

Buss has been the constant, but: things do change. People do get older, and become somehwat disengaged. You can't always assume things will continue to run as before.

SGH

Last edited by Sister Golden Hair on Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
japanesebeef1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject:

Sonicc64 wrote:

Whaaaaaht?

I will give you that Cuban is a good owner, but . . . . he needs at least one championship before I would even consider trading him for Buss.

Seven for Buss and counting.

They are at different stages of the process. Cuban is just trying to get over the hump. Buss is rebuilding, something he's been successfull to the point of championships twice.

Would you say that Cuban was brilliant when he let MVP Steve Nash go as a free agent to Phoenix? When Shaq went all hysterical, at least we got "something" in return.

Patience . . . grasshopper.
KA_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:

Not quite. West made the move for McAdoo in 82 and stole a #1 from the Cavs the year before and used it to pick Worthy that same year. Yeah, kind of important players. And if the heavily rumored reports are to be believed, Buss insisted on Magic, in which case Sharman doesn't get credit for him. But who knows if that's really true. Sharman did get Jabbar, though, but even then, West was his assistant GM at the time so the extent of his aid in that deal is unknown by us mortal fans. West's success since that time suggests he might have had a hand in Jabbar.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject:

KA_2 wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

Not quite. West made the move for McAdoo in 82 and stole a #1 from the Cavs the year before and used it to pick Worthy that same year. Yeah, kind of important players. And if the heavily rumored reports are to be believed, Buss insisted on Magic, in which case Sharman doesn't get credit for him. But who knows if that's really true. Sharman did get Jabbar, though, but even then, West was his assistant GM at the time so the extent of his aid in that deal is unknown by us mortal fans. West's success since that time suggests he might have had a hand in Jabbar.

Hey I'm not saying West wasn't a good GM, he was. But I don't subscribe to his being GREAT. The eightys Lakers had Kareem, Magic, Pat Riley, and DR. Buss giving the ok's. As the pieces started to disappear (Kareems retirement, Magics retirement, Rileys departure) the Lakers became incrreasingly mediocre and it's not like west was magically righting the ship. Then in his greatest stroke of genius he got Shaq and found Kobe, but there were quite a few lean years before that point. West was definitely good, but he wasn't the messiah many make him out to be....
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: