A "Guarantee" was made.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: A "Guarantee" was made.

bounty wrote:
LakerJam wrote:
Donia Jamieson wrote:
Dr. Jerry Buss "Guaranteed" that this team will make the playoffs. Not that he hopes, or it's possible.....he flat out guaranteed we make the playoffs. He MUST commit himself to recognizing that, otherwise he will lose credibility if he does nothing to improve this team.

So many apologists still exist, asking how we dare question the path this org is taking ("we have 14 championships, how dare you question the great owner...blah blah blah). I am not questioning jackcrap, I am only holding Dr. Buss to the promise he made this season ticket holder at the begining of the season. I laid my money down on the good Dr's dedication to, and I quote, "never have a season like last years again."...... I am currently an unsatisfied customer at this point in the season, but it's not too late.

The Buss family/ Kupchak, can still fufill the promise and guarantee he made to us. The trade deadline has not passed us, and the ball is in their court. The Lakers cannot afford to alienate the fans with false promises. I believe Buss will take head and push Kupchak to make a move, because at this point IT MUST be done.

The Dr's word is at stake here. A promise to the fan was made. WE WILL HOLD HIM TO IT.

We will make the playoffs. We're in the 8th seed as we speak and have just finished the most difficult part of our schedule. Thus, barring injuries, we'll make the post-season.

would that include losing 2 of 3 at home?

I'd like to know what is "easy" for this team...?

They are inconsistent and have shown no ability to win the games they are supposed to win...

NO game or GAMES or difficulty of schedule makes a hill of beans to these guys...

They have proven that they can lose to anybody, anywhere...
Mjr. Pwnage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject:

bounty wrote:
He cant have his fingers in every dike.

Dude, I'm pushing 30, and I'm laughing at that line like I'm 12.

Pardon my digression...
KA_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Hey I'm not saying West wasn't a good GM, he was. But I don't subscribe to his being GREAT. The eightys Lakers had Kareem, Magic, Pat Riley, and DR. Buss giving the ok's. As the pieces started to disappear (Kareems retirement, Magics retirement, Rileys departure) the Lakers became incrreasingly mediocre and it's not like west was magically righting the ship. Then in his greatest stroke of genius he got Shaq and found Kobe, but there were quite a few lean years before that point. West was definitely good, but he wasn't the messiah many make him out to be....

Uh, name a better GM in the NBA the last 25 years. When you come back with Jerry West, then tell me he is overrated. And those "lean" years still featured better teams than the one being fielded by the Lakers today.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject:

KA_2 wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Hey I'm not saying West wasn't a good GM, he was. But I don't subscribe to his being GREAT. The eightys Lakers had Kareem, Magic, Pat Riley, and DR. Buss giving the ok's. As the pieces started to disappear (Kareems retirement, Magics retirement, Rileys departure) the Lakers became incrreasingly mediocre and it's not like west was magically righting the ship. Then in his greatest stroke of genius he got Shaq and found Kobe, but there were quite a few lean years before that point. West was definitely good, but he wasn't the messiah many make him out to be....

Uh, name a better GM in the NBA the last 25 years. When you come back with Jerry West, then tell me he is overrated. And those "lean" years still featured better teams than the one being fielded by the Lakers today.

Joe Dumars. What he's been doing is truly impressive. One great decision after another...
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Colby Briant
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject:

second half of the season, we are going on a tear. book it. playoffs are secured. no amount of jinxing is gonna change that. we got all our stupid mental error games out of our system and the harder part of the schedule out of the way and now it should be pretty smooth sailing.

just worry about who we'll be facing in the playoffs, instead of worrying if we'll make it. some of you guys have heart attacks and even admit to crying after a bad laker loss. i dont get it. first of all, take a laker loss like a man and second just keep your eye on the prize. good things come to those who wait and patience IS a virtue.

Thanks for your time,
Phil Jackson
KA_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Joe Dumars. What he's been doing is truly impressive. One great decision after another...

Joe Dumars is a better GM than Jerry West because he built one title/two Finals teams, whereas West built a three-peat/four Finals dynasty? Not to mention we'd be ignoring all of West's brilliant moves and picks (Worthy, McAdoo, EJ, NVE, Divac, etc.) before 2000? Good call. :roll:
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject:

KA_2 wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

Joe Dumars is a better GM than Jerry West because he built one title/two Finals teams, whereas West built a three-peat/four Finals dynasty? Not to mention we'd be ignoring all of West's brilliant moves and picks (Worthy, McAdoo, EJ, NVE, Divac, etc.) before 2000? Good call. :roll:

Hey you asked for my opinion. I also think there are coach's better than Phil. I'm more impressed with what Dumars has done to attract talent than what Jerry west did. I give Jerry total props for finding Kobe and taking a chance on him, as well as structuring a deal attractive to Shaq. I'm of the school of thought that the job get's much easier when you have a Kareem/Magic or Shaq/Kobe combe when it comes to attrcting new talent to the team. I said when he first went to Memphis that this would be the true barometer of his greatness. What he could do starting from scratch with nothing. He's built a good team but certainly not anywhere close to great. Dumars started from scratch and built a contender, therefore I'm more impressed. I'll be more impresssed with Phil (and I really want to be more impressed with him) if he's able to start from scratch with this team and turn them into a contender. I'm rooting for him to be able to, as evidenced by my considerable patience with the current process. If he is able to do it, then I'll reassess all the times I've said, "Let's see what he could do without the best players in the league, which is also what I've said about Jerry West. So far with Jerry West the answer is "Not much". I pray that Phil is the one that makes me eat my words because I'd love more than anything to have been wrong about him just being a good coach, but not GREAT. We'll have to agree to disagree about Jerry West because I think he's good, but you think he's great.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
BigEvil
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject:

How many terrible teams make the playoffs?

How many terrible teams have records at .500 or more? Or even hover in the vicinity?

Average? That I'd buy. Terrible? That would be bending the definition of the word just a little bit... :roll:
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject:

TG711 wrote:
bounty wrote:
He cant have his fingers in every dike.

Dude, I'm pushing 30, and I'm laughing at that line like I'm 12.

Pardon my digression...

whaaaaaaat?
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject:

BigEvil wrote:
How many terrible teams make the playoffs?

How many terrible teams have records at .500 or more? Or even hover in the vicinity?

Average? That I'd buy. Terrible? That would be bending the definition of the word just a little bit... :roll:

A BIG OLE "UUUUH HUHHHH". Lakers have proven to be average, not terrible. With the talent on the floor the should actually be terrible so average is actually quite an accomplishment with that group right now...
RabidCB
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject:

KA_2 wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

Detroit drafted Milicic three years ago after LeBron James and ahead of Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject:

RabidCB wrote:
KA_2 wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

Detroit drafted Milicic three years ago after LeBron James and ahead of Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade.

And to date they all have the same number of championships! Oh...Wait a minute...they don't! One of them has smelled more of the championship trophy than the others!
RabidCB
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
RabidCB wrote:
KA_2 wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

And to date they all have the same number of championships! Oh...Wait a minute...they don't! One of them has smelled more of the championship trophy than the others!

I smell what you're stepping in now, drafting Milicic was a stroke of genious and hence was the reason they won a championship.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject:

RabidCB wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
RabidCB wrote:
KA_2 wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

I smell what you're stepping in now, drafting Milicic was a stroke of genious and hence was the reason they won a championship.

Come on Einstein. You're better than that. To date the others haven't won a darn thing. Wade is good. Lebron is good. Carmelo is good. We don't yet have a clue whether Darko is good or not, but he does have a ring. Something Barkley, Malone, Payton,Stockton, and a host of others don't have and would give their left nuts for. It'll be interesting to see which in that class ends up with the most rings. No guarantee Carmelo, Lebron, or Wade ever get one. At this point they are all promising players who have yet to do jack crap. Most Laker fans know it's not what you do in the regular season, but rather in te playoffs. Carmelo? Jury out. LeBron? Gotta get there first. Wade? Oh my ribs hurt......
KA_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Hey you asked for my opinion. I also think there are coach's better than Phil. I'm more impressed with what Dumars has done to attract talent than what Jerry west did. I give Jerry total props for finding Kobe and taking a chance on him, as well as structuring a deal attractive to Shaq. I'm of the school of thought that the job get's much easier when you have a Kareem/Magic or Shaq/Kobe combe when it comes to attrcting new talent to the team. I said when he first went to Memphis that this would be the true barometer of his greatness. What he could do starting from scratch with nothing. He's built a good team but certainly not anywhere close to great. Dumars started from scratch and built a contender, therefore I'm more impressed.

West started from scratch and built a contender as well. One that won 3 titles. Your reasoning doesn't make any sense; West has the rings, the superior acquisitions over a much longer period of time, and everything else you can think of. Right now, you're telling me Joe Dumars is more successful because he built a team from scratch into a contender. Then again, so did, Jerry West. Which means you're just not making any sense whatsoever.

Quote:
I'll be more impresssed with Phil (and I really want to be more impressed with him) if he's able to start from scratch with this team and turn them into a contender. I'm rooting for him to be able to, as evidenced by my considerable patience with the current process. If he is able to do it, then I'll reassess all the times I've said, "Let's see what he could do without the best players in the league, which is also what I've said about Jerry West. So far with Jerry West the answer is "Not much".

The best players in the league is what wins you championships. See Jerry West's entire career as GM of the Los Angeles Lakers.

Quote:
I pray that Phil is the one that makes me eat my words because I'd love more than anything to have been wrong about him just being a good coach, but not GREAT. We'll have to agree to disagree about Jerry West because I think he's good, but you think he's great.

He is great, there's no question about it. The fact that the only GM you could come up with that is better than West is Joe Dumars (arguably the best and most successful contending GM the last few years) proves my point for me.

RabidCB wrote:

Yup.
KA_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Come on Einstein. You're better than that. To date the others haven't won a darn thing. Wade is good. Lebron is good. Carmelo is good. We don't yet have a clue whether Darko is good or not, but he does have a ring. Something Barkley, Malone, Payton,Stockton, and a host of others don't have and would give their left nuts for. It'll be interesting to see which in that class ends up with the most rings. No guarantee Carmelo, Lebron, or Wade ever get one. At this point they are all promising players who have yet to do jack crap. Most Laker fans know it's not what you do in the regular season, but rather in te playoffs. Carmelo? Jury out. LeBron? Gotta get there first. Wade? Oh my ribs hurt......

Who cares that Darko has a ring, I could have played for the Pistons and I'd have a ring as well. He didn't contribute at all to that title team or last year's Finals team. So tell me again what your point is here?
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

West started from scratch and built a contender as well. One that won 3 titles. Your reasoning doesn't make any sense;

We've already been over this. I know you seem to think you have some behind the scenes voodoo knowledge, but Both Kareem and Magic were already in place and had won a championship together BEFORE West took over. How in the world is it starting from scratch when you take over a CHAMPIONSHIP team? Boggles the mind....
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject:

KA_2 wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

Who cares that Darko has a ring, I could have played for the Pistons and I'd have a ring as well. He didn't contribute at all to that title team or last year's Finals team. So tell me again what your point is here?

LOL..No...Dumars is pretty smart. He'd have never drafted nor traded for ya...No Ring for You....
KA_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
We've already been over this. I know you seem to think you have some behind the scenes voodoo knowledge, but Both Kareem and Magic were already in place and had won a championship together BEFORE West took over. How in the world is it starting from scratch when you take over a CHAMPIONSHIP team? Boggles the mind....

Are you mentally ill? Showtime won 5 titles, I said 3 titles. Guess which other Laker dynasty won 3 titles that was built from scratch by Jerry West?

Jesus Christ. :roll:
KA_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
LOL..No...Dumars is pretty smart. He'd have never drafted nor traded for ya...No Ring for You....

If I wanted a deflective kid response I'd ask for one. As is, you're getting backhanded.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject:

KA_2 wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

Are you mentally ill? Showtime won 5 titles, I said 3 titles. Guess which other Laker dynasty won 3 titles that was built from scratch by Jerry West?

Jesus Christ. :roll:

Built from scratch? What are ya? A turdburglin fool? First West took that team from contender status to doormats then got back to work over the course of 12 years. It's not from scratch. It's cleaning up all the doo doo he created. A decade plus of ineptitude. No star. No hope. And a crappy team. That's what West created. And I've given him credit for still being good a good GM. You seem to take issue that I don't think of him has great? Get over it. What did he do? Buy you knee pads for Christmas or something. I said long ago in this thread that we could agree to disagree,, but you're hung up on the dude. I think he's GOOD. You think he's GREAT. Wipe your mouth, stand up, and get over it. We don't agree....Big deal.....

Last edited by Aussiesuede on Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
RabidCB
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
RabidCB wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
RabidCB wrote:
KA_2 wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

You're gonna call me Einstein after that stroke of logic you just crapped on me? Do I need a crayon to explain to you how illogical your statement is?
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject:

RabidCB wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
RabidCB wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
RabidCB wrote:
KA_2 wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

You're gonna call me Einstein after that stroke of logic you just crapped on me? Do I need a crayon to explain to you how illogical your statement is?

No genius. You were called Einstien because you jumped into a middle of a conversation made the following remark "I smell what you're stepping in now, drafting Milicic was a stroke of genious and hence was the reason they won a championship" trying to be cutesy and I responded in kind. Obviously you're not Einstein!
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject:

I heard Einstein smells really bad.

Must be the years of decay.
KA_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Built from scratch? What are ya? A turdburglin fool? First West took that team from contender status to doormats then got back to work over the course of 12 years. It's not from scratch. It's cleaning up all the doo doo he created. A decade plus of ineptitude. No star. No hope. And a crappy team. That's what West created.

Magic retired due to HIV and the Lakers got nothing for him. 12 years? I'd say making the Finals in 89, competing in 90, and making the Finals again in 91 isn't really ineptitude. Then again, I actually witnessed these events. I ask, how old are you?

Additionally, how is that not building from scratch, while Dumars' situation was?

Quote:
And I've given him credit for still being good a good GM. You seem to take issue that I don't think of him has great? Get over it. What did he do? Buy you knee pads for Christmas or something. I said long ago in this thread that we could agree to disagree,, but you're hung up on the dude. I think he's GOOD. You think he's GREAT. Wipe your mouth, stand up, and get over it. We don't agree....Big deal.....

Meh, it's basically like disagreeing over a fact. Some twat will tell you Jerry West wasn't a great GM, informed Laker fans laugh at him, but the twat still reiterates the same thing pretending it's his opinion. No, it isn't, there really aren't any GMs better than Jerry West over the past 25 years, and the ones you can make an argument for are few and far between, further proving the point that West had to have been a great GM if there are a select few that can compare to him.

Aussiesuede wrote:
No genius. You were called Einstien because you jumped into a middle of a conversation made the following remark "I smell what you're stepping in now, drafting Milicic was a stroke of genious and hence was the reason they won a championship" trying to be cutesy and I responded in kind. Obviously you're not Einstein!

Yeah, but he's not stupid either. Can't say the same for that garbage comment you made about Milicic. "He has a ring". So does Mark Madsen. The Lakers still win titles without him, just as the Pistons do without Milicic.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: