One year since Front Office restructure
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject:

55 wrote:
2/8 - created cap space for 2 max.

They have a clear vision and are working it to perfection. A+ from me.

I know, I know, they still haven't landed the 2 maxes... but summer hasn't arrived yet either.
They had the same clear vision with the old regime. not knocking the new one. just sayin. people didnt like that the old regime wasnt telling them every move they were about to make. this regime does that. then the same people get upset that they are telling everything and even getting fined for it more or less.

Both regimes were trying to clear cap for 2 superstars. The first regime struck out to some degree but the options it had were never real options to begin with. That front office NEVER lost one.

Melo was never coming, Lemarcus was never coming here, lebron at that moment in time was not coming here. Remember we either had an aging old hurt kobe and a bunch of children fresh out of their college freshman year. you were not going to win anything for real with that.

nothing has changed. we are still looking for those stars.

PG13 said with his own mouth he was coming here in the summer, then got traded to okc to play with other stars. if we miss on him, i still wont blame the current FO because indy was never going to trade him to us unless they took everything we had. and he wasnt worth EVERYTHING we had. If pg13 comes, great. but that has nothing to do with mitch or magic or jim or Rob. its pg wanting to go home like lemarcus wasnted to go home while also playing for a contender in his later years.

basically the GM/FO didnt have to do anything to entice the player.

If we would've ended with boogie(assuming no injury). that would've been because boogie was already coming if the kings would've traded him to begin with to us. but they refused to do so. so boogie was already coming this way. Mitch and jim would've taken boogie also if he was going into Free agency. again nothing new.

if bron comes. it has zero to do with the FO and everything to do with bron going where bron wants to go like he always does.

MItch and Jim found Bynum
Mitch and Jim found Clarkson, Zubac, Larry, randle, and ingram.
MItch and jim found DLO which turned into Lopez and kuz.and even if we kept dlo. dlo is a pretty darn good young offensive player(when healthy of course.)

the new FO got zo, hart, and kuz..

same thing if you ask me. both FO's found diamonds in JC/Larry and Kuz/hart that late.

The first FO had better shooters less defense. this FO has better defense and no shooters and no ft makers.

so why is today's team better? because they have a legit center in lopez. that wasnt available to flip since dlo was too young and we didnt know what we had in him yet to say we should keep him or trade him.

i'm saying mitch and jim could've made the same trade. and possibly would have.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Eh. How many threads and posts have we seen that basically recap what Magic has done and declare him to be either a success or a failure? Nothing new here. One group of people think that the mere creation of cap space is a success, and another group of people think that the creation of cap space is worthless unless you use it correctly. The difference between those viewpoints is smaller than it appears at first glance. It's a question of whether you give credit for creating an opportunity or whether you reserve credit until the opportunity is realized.

Absolutely agree that perspective drives opinion.

But in this case it is similar to a degenerate gambler going all-in on a hand. Then discarding his two 10's because he knows in his heart that he will be drawing two Aces.

Like you, I consider the two max free agent strategy to be a poor gamble. However, if Magic pulls it off, I'll tip my cap to him.
but its not a poor gamble. its a gamble that we have to make and keep making. what are we giving up? playoffs. so what. unless you believe that at least 2 of our young guys are superstars. it wont matter even if we lose out. we didnt give up anything. JC and Larry can be easily found in the coming draft or the next. These guys are always out there in the draft.
People are acting like we are trading away young guys that are super solid starters on a championship team. that was not the case. and even if JC and Larry end up looking great next to bron. it only means what this FO and the last were trying to do is the best way to go since bron is a superstar. You need to pair these kids with a vet superstar or 3.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:

But in this case it is similar to a degenerate gambler going all-in on a hand. Then discarding his two 10's because he knows in his heart that he will be drawing two Aces.

I play a lot of poker. Explain how go all in and then discard two 10's? Do you mean they went all in and then folded there hand? Also if you think they through away two 10's describe what they had with the two 10's?

I don’t play a lot of poker so I will not embarrass myself even more by trying to explain specific nuances to someone that does.

Guessing you understand the meaning of my apparently incorrect example more then you are willing to admit.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:

I play a lot of poker. Explain how go all in and then discard two 10's? Do you mean they went all in and then folded there hand? Also if you think they through away two 10's describe what they had with the two 10's?

I don’t play a lot of poker so I will not embarrass myself even more by trying to explain specific nuances to someone that does.

Guessing you understand the meaning of my apparently incorrect example more then you are willing to admit.

You are the one that used a poker analogy. I have no idea what you are trying to say that's why I wanted clarification.

Last edited by 32 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
55 wrote:

I know, I know, they still haven't landed the 2 maxes... but summer hasn't arrived yet either.
They had the same clear vision with the old regime. not knocking the new one. just sayin. people didnt like that the old regime wasnt telling them every move they were about to make. this regime does that. then the same people get upset that they are telling everything and even getting fined for it more or less.

Both regimes were trying to clear cap for 2 superstars. The first regime struck out to some degree but the options it had were never real options to begin with. That front office NEVER lost one.

Melo was never coming, Lemarcus was never coming here, lebron at that moment in time was not coming here. Remember we either had an aging old hurt kobe and a bunch of children fresh out of their college freshman year. you were not going to win anything for real with that.

PG13 said with his own mouth he was coming here in the summer, then got traded to okc to play with other stars. if we miss on him, i still wont blame the current FO because indy was never going to trade him to us unless they took everything we had. and he wasnt worth EVERYTHING we had. If pg13 comes, great. but that has nothing to do with mitch or magic or jim or Rob. its pg wanting to go home like lemarcus wasnted to go home while also playing for a contender in his later years.

If we would've ended with boogie(assuming no injury). that would've been because boogie was already coming if the kings would've traded him to begin with to us. but they refused to do so. so boogie was already coming this way. Mitch and jim would've taken boogie also if he was going into Free agency. again nothing new.

if bron comes. it has zero to do with the FO and everything to do with bron going where bron wants to go like he always does.

MItch and jim found DLO which turned into Lopez and kuz.and even if we kept dlo. dlo is a pretty darn good young offensive player(when healthy of course.)

same thing if you ask me. both FO's found diamonds in JC/Larry and Kuz/hart that late.

The first FO had better shooters less defense. this FO has better defense and no shooters and no ft makers.

so why is today's team better? because they have a legit center in lopez. that wasnt available to flip since dlo was too young and we didnt know what we had in him yet to say we should keep him or trade him.

The old FO got us into the MozDeng mess.
The new FO just about got us out of the same mess.
The new FO has shown better negotiation/trading skills than the old one.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject:

lakers4life78 wrote:
Done a great job creating max flexibility and cap space. Plus retaining their best talent.

Can't really tell how you meant it, but this is a sports team; i mean, that's a short list of vague things that are actually pretty important.

"President's done a great job solving homelessness and fixing the economy. Plus he fixed healthcare."

max flexibility - when given the 2 worst long-term contracts in the nba? sorry, jim/mitch caved in on those contracts; the "rebuild" was finished in their eyes and they were about to go into wait and see mode. (in hindsight, imo Jim knew d-day was coming and wanted to leave jeanie handcuffed as motivation to sell; again he didn't foresee the whole picture where he gets fired AND removed from the trust. hahahahahahaha).

cap space - when we all, up until last week, pretty much just assumed we couldn't even sign our first rookie to mature?

retain best talent - in the face of the first 2 points?

They've done great. Final test is NOT about IF they put a couple guys together. In this day/age it's about putting the right guys together. I'd rather watch another failed houston/clipper rebuild in the next 5 years if it means we get our next chip before either of them VS having to rebuild 2 more times just because 2018 was somehow the year to get 2 max's for the sake of doing so - cuz fans said so. But at the very least, we got our seat back at the table.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Like you, I consider the two max free agent strategy to be a poor gamble. However, if Magic pulls it off, I'll tip my cap to him.
but its not a poor gamble. its a gamble that we have to make and keep making. what are we giving up? playoffs. so what. unless you believe that at least 2 of our young guys are superstars. it wont matter even if we lose out. we didnt give up anything. JC and Larry can be easily found in the coming draft or the next. These guys are always out there in the draft.
People are acting like we are trading away young guys that are super solid starters on a championship team. that was not the case. and even if JC and Larry end up looking great next to bron. it only means what this FO and the last were trying to do is the best way to go since bron is a superstar. You need to pair these kids with a vet superstar or 3.

This has been discussed in thousands of posts in dozens of threads. By now, you should know the counter-argument by heart.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
32 wrote:

You are the one that used a poker analogy. I have no idea what you are trying to say that's why I wanted clarification.

I’ll stick with basketball to avoid further misunderstanding. Lakers just traded two players that were valuable in their roles as part of the overall depth on the roster. We can disagree on how much impact they have as role players on both ends of the floor. But IMO their energy and chemistry will not be easily replaced.

They were moved for the long shot chance of landing two marquee players. That may or not be there. IMO a hell of a risk.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
32 wrote:

I’ll stick with basketball to avoid further misunderstanding. Lakers just traded two players that were valuable in their roles as part of the overall depth on the roster. We can disagree on how much impact they have as role players on both ends of the floor. But IMO their energy and chemistry will not be easily replaced.

They were moved for the long shot chance of landing two marquee players. That may or not be there. IMO a hell of a risk.

They never said those two max slots would be filled this summer. They said it's possible only one of those max slots would be filled and they would save cap space for another max slot for 2019. So all of this talk about getting two max slots this summer is not accurate.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
32 wrote:
32 wrote:

They never said those two max slots would be filled this summer. They said it's possible only one of those max slots would be filled and they would save cap space for another max slot for 2019. So all of this talk about getting two max slots this summer is not accurate.

That was actually the walk back, after the initial we're getting two guys now bravado. Doesn't matter though, they have themselves in position for either, which means they have been successful at setting the table. Next test comes in July.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

Their grade is incomplete right now pending this summer's free agency. All of those moves were essentially to position us to grab 1-2 max free agents this summer. If they can pull that off I'll give them an A+ if not and we end up in the recycle bin for another year of KCP/Lopez esque players then I'll give them an F
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

Lakers just traded two players that were valuable in their roles as part of the overall depth on the roster. We can disagree on how much impact they have as role players on both ends of the floor. But IMO their energy and chemistry will not be easily replaced.

We raised our ceiling with the cap space compared to if we kept the whole young roster together.
Before the trade, I liked these 7 for our young core.
1) Ingram
2) Kuzma
3) Randle
4) Clarkson
5) Lonzo
6) Nance
7) Hart

We only lost 2 of the 7, and we have the chance to grab 2 allstar free agents in the next couple summers.
There was no guarantee those 7 would turn into a championship team down the road. Heck, there's no guarantee those 7 get you out of the 2nd round.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
55 wrote:

at Jim and Mitch making the Lopez trade. It's difficult to see that happening since the entire reason for the trade was to get rid of Mozgov's contract. Have you forgotten that they were the ones who gave Mozgov that contract to begin with? They gave he and Deng those moronic deals because they had given up on landing a star through free agency. Mozgov would still be the starting center if they were still here. There's no reason to think they would've given up on Mozgov that quickly. And even if they would have, it would've been further proof of their incompetence that they had committed so much money to a guy, only to turn around and try to pull the plug after just one year.

I still think that if the old regime was still here, they would've fought their hardest for a Melo trade once Phil put him on the block, just so they could say, 'Hey, we brought an All-Star to the team just in time for the ASG.' And the whole thing would've been an epic disaster.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
32 wrote:
32 wrote:
32 wrote:

That was actually the walk back, after the initial we're getting two guys now bravado. Doesn't matter though, they have themselves in position for either, which means they have been successful at setting the table. Next test comes in July.

True.
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject:

I don't believe the FO is going into this max free agent plan blindly. Collusion is rampant in the NBA and I believe that when this plan was formulated that Magic had a good idea that it was worth it. Is it still a gamble? Absolutely. I just don't think they blindly pushed all their chips to the middle and crossed their fingers. Somebody told somebody that told somebody who got word to Magic that there's a great chance that PG or LBJ or even someone else will be really interested to come to LA next season.

…oooooor I'm just being overly optimistic and and everything I just said was complete and total homer (bleep)! Totally possible.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject:

A- so far

Made a plan, stuck with it, and did about as good as you can, given the circumstances, so far.

Would be an A if we made better signings last year. Not happy with the Ennis and KCP signings (unless there was a legit political reason for it). I would have been happier if we kept Nwaba, signed a solid backup PG like Ian Clark and maybe even a knockdown shooter.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject:

There's a lot of optimism in this thread that we would land PG13.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Beir32 wrote:
I don't believe the FO is going into this max free agent plan blindly. Collusion is rampant in the NBA and I believe that when this plan was formulated that Magic had a good idea that it was worth it. Is it still a gamble? Absolutely. I just don't think they blindly pushed all their chips to the middle and crossed their fingers. Somebody told somebody that told somebody who got word to Magic that there's a great chance that PG or LBJ or even someone else will be really interested to come to LA next season.

…oooooor I'm just being overly optimistic and and everything I just said was complete and total homer (bleep)! Totally possible.

You can be fairly confident that there are a lot of back channel communications going on, probably just the way you describe.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Beir32 wrote:

You're closer than you think...
louie_ruckuz
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject:

A++++++++++++++++

From drafting, to trades to clearing up cap space, they have been freaking awesome!
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Beir32 wrote:

These things don't just happen by chance. The players are seated at the table, just waiting for the menu so they can place their order.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
55 wrote:

They had the same clear vision with the old regime.

Their clear vision was 2 years from now when those horrible contracts expired.
Had they not overpaid dead weight we wouldn't have needed to get rid of a good young talent in order to unload Moz.
New regime is cleaning the old regime's mess right now and doing a great job at it while giving us the chance to compete next season.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Beir32 wrote:

I don't know. It seems like there been many times when a big free agent is available, and a lot of teams clear space to go after them. And, really, even if someone gives you a wink-wink indication of Interest, a year before they become a free agent, so much can happen in that year to change their mind you have to wonder how much value does the wink wink really have
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject:

Before the new FO

No cap space, no sure 1st round pick. No All star

Now

2 max contract possible, Created depth through the draft (Zo, Kuz,Hart, Bryant) that fit the system. Got a closer like player in IT. And got a draft pick this 2018. What a difference a year make.

LOL compare to the years spent from our old FO.

So happy right now that I see some light in the end of the tunnel.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
Before the new FO

No cap space, no sure 1st round pick. No All star

Now

2 max contract possible, Created depth through the draft (Zo, Kuz,Hart, Bryant) that fit the system. Got a closer like player in IT. And got a draft pick this 2018. What a difference a year make.

LOL compare to the years spent from our old FO.

So happy right now that I see some light in the end of the tunnel.

Just for accuracy, the team had a max slot available, just not two.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: