Max FA route or Grow slow and organic route
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you want to take risk for Max FAs or grow slow through draft?
Max FAs
58%
 58%  [ 28 ]
Grow slow and organic
41%
 41%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 48

cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Max FA route or Grow slow and organic route

When the new FO took over, they had some young players in BI, DLO, Nance and Clarkson. What do they do in the next year?

Route 1: max FAs
1. Clear salaries to make space for max FAs.
2. Take risk if max FAs dont come, then the rebuilt would be slowed down because of lost of DLO, Clarkson and Nance.
3. If max FAs come, then we would be contender that would give Warriors a good battle for a few years while they get older sooner due to age difference

Route 2: slow and organic
1. Do not clear salaries and keep drafting well
2. Dont take risk to clear Clarkson, Moz and Deng contracts and wait till end of 2019 before trying to get FAs.
3. Understand that DLO, Nance and Randle would have to be paid or count a lot against the cap by end of 2019.
4. If DLO, Clarkson and Nance are not worth resigning, then the team would be left with BI, Ball and Kuz (no Hart) without a shot at max FAs.

I am all in - take the calculated risk. Worst case, go back to the tank.

Last edited by cal1piggy on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Doesn't have to be one way or the other. It is possible to do both. It takes some careful planning and talent evaluation but it can be done.

See Boston...
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject:

This city is not about slow and grind, it's about winning now, it's about bringing the bling bling, and the glitz to the stars. Leave the slow to the country small town folks.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject:

route 1

contrary to popular belief organic is not always best - yes, there are downsides to GMOs but many of them are helpful - e.g. GMOs that allow crops to survive on less water
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Doesn't have to be one way or the other. It is possible to do both. It takes some careful planning and talent evaluation but it can be done.

See Boston...

problem is the timing. you dont make salary available, then bi and others would need to be paid. that would obviously make less cap available.
Jbar805
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject:

We cant just go after Max players for the sake of them being a max player and making the casual fan happy. You have to go after players that give you the best chance to win a championship. If they don't fit the system, don't bring them in. Wait for the right combination of players and keep the cap flexible.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Max FA route or Grow slow and organic route

cal1piggy wrote:

have you been a fan for the last 4 or 5 years....like following every game....experiencing every loss? Maybe you have, but the way you say "go back to the tank" seems to lack the emotion that comes from years of tanking. Tanking sucks..it literally messes with your mind, and forces you to root against your own teams success. I am not ready to tank again.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject:

We have the young core in place. Lonzo, BI, Kuzma and Hart. We will see if JR will join this group in July. Now it's time to accelerate the plan. Surround our young core with stars and veterans either by free agency or trades.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Max FA route or Grow slow and organic route

adkindo wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

have you been a fan for the last 4 or 5 years....like following every game....experiencing every loss? Maybe you have, but the way you say "go back to the tank" seems to lack the emotion that comes from years of tanking. Tanking sucks..it literally messes with your mind, and forces you to root against your own teams success. I am not ready to tank again.

as a fan since the 80's, i have seen the glorious and the recent.
gladly suffer the tank if it means grabbing the gold.
tanking is simple logic as the system favors tanking.

Last edited by cal1piggy on Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
route 1

contrary to popular belief organic is not always best - yes, there are downsides to GMOs but many of them are helpful - e.g. GMOs that allow crops to survive on less water

I am a conservative....don't do no stinken "organic"... #treehugger #snowflake
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject:

At this point, one has to trust that Pelinka has the most insight into who is likely to do what. We can guess, but he has the benefit of first hand conversations.
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject:

1 max this year (preferably George), 1 max next.

I don't buy the narrative that PG won't come if Lebron doesn't. Players have egos and would love to be the center of attention and be in the MVP discussion leading a team on their own. THEN they can bring someone else along and go for that chip.

Obviously I don't know PG personally, but be the man in LA for a season, go after that 5th-8th West seed and get a bunch of ABC games, then walk into pitch meetings next year as the main recruiter to Jimmy, Klay, Kawaii or Kyrie.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Did I miss something?

Lakers FO just made the move to go after max free agents. I tend to agree with many here that state they didn't create the salary space to sign second tier players.

I still dislike the plan but at this point it seems clear that the 2 max plan is preferred by ownership. Who they are able to sign will effect the next steps.

Sorry I simply disagree that if James is one of the 2 max there can or will be any of the "organic " growth mentioned. He is not coming to LA to mentor or help the young core. He is not coming to get to the playoffs. You only sign him to his max contract if you are willing to accept the James circus and all the ripples it creates to win a Championship.

He is coming to win. And win now! All assets will be on the table to make it happen. It makes no sense otherwise.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Did I miss something?

Lakers FO just made the move to go after max free agents. I tend to agree with many here that state they didn't create the salary space to sign second tier players.

I still dislike the plan but at this point it seems clear that the 2 max plan is preferred by ownership. Who they are able to sign will effect the next steps.

Sorry I simply disagree that if James is one of the 2 max there can or will be any of the "organic " growth mentioned. He is not coming to LA to mentor or help the young core. He is not coming to get to the playoffs. You only sign him to his max contract if you are willing to accept the James circus and all the ripples it creates to win a Championship.

He is coming to win. And win now! All assets will be on the table to make it happen. It makes no sense otherwise.

it is simply a poll whether one prefers (a) the calculated risk that would boom or slow the rebuild or (b) the slow organic growth with timing issue
Maginka
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: The answer.....

The real magic this new front office can provide is if they can convince PG/Kawhi/Klay to take 5-7% less to have those as the Big 3 with Ingram/Lonzo/Kuz/Hart/Bryant/Cavs Pick be able to grow with them......
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The answer.....

Maginka wrote:
The real magic this new front office can provide is if they can convince PG/Kawhi/Klay to take 5-7% less to have those as the Big 3 with Ingram/Lonzo/Kuz/Hart/Bryant/Cavs Pick be able to grow with them......

I think the cavs pick will be needed as part of the package to dump all of deng's salary. with deng's salary, i think it will be more than 5-7%
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject:

We should go after at least one superstar FA, but if we don't get 2 this summer, we shouldn't just carry it over to next year because we may miss out on a nice 2nd tier FA who can really help us out. Look at what Boston has been doing. Overall we need to accumulate assets because the FA superstar we really need may have to be gotten via a trade. Who knows, maybe Ingram will become that legit superstar in 2-4 years. Let's not put all our eggs in one basket (singing 2 max FAs).

Plus let's face it, Lebron likely won't come to a team where his supporting cast will be a bunch of guys in their early 20s who need a few years in the playoffs before they are seasoned enough to help him win a championship.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject:

50/50. There's no option for that.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
50/50. There's no option for that.

LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject:

Young max free agent(s) that grows with core while core is on Rookie scale.
rogers49
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Max FA route or Grow slow and organic route

cal1piggy wrote:
2. Take risk if max FAs dont come, then the rebuilt would be slowed down because of lost of DLO, Clarkson and Nance.
3. If max FAs come, then we would be contender that would give Warriors a good battle for a few years while they get older sooner due to age difference

2. Dont take risk to clear Clarkson, Moz and Deng contracts and wait till end of 2019 before trying to get FAs.
3. Understand that DLO, Nance and Randle would have to be paid or count a lot against the cap by end of 2019.
4. If DLO, Clarkson and Nance are not worth resigning, then the team would be left with BI, Ball and Kuz (no Hart) without a shot at max FAs.

Route 2: why are you talking about players that are no more on the team?
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Max FA route or Grow slow and organic route

rogers49 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

Route 2: why are you talking about players that are no more on the team?

seems like a lot of disagreement with the max fa approach.
so wanted to where people are with what was done.
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject:

I'm happy with the moves the FO has made so far. I didn't think we needed to trade JC/Nance at deadline, but the pick is nice and, overall, we are headed in a much better direction.

I want PG this offseason, re-sign Randle, and use the cap space on salary dumps till the next year.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject:

Organic doesn’t have to be slow, although it could be. My preference has always been to take the smartest path to success.

Sometimes the smart path is quick, sometimes it’s slow, but most often it is in between.

Identify the needs, and fill the needs when they come available if they come available at a smsrt price. And always have a plan b.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject:

Stumpy25 wrote:
This city is not about slow and grind, it's about winning now, it's about bringing the bling bling, and the glitz to the stars. Leave the slow to the country small town folks.

The problem all the bling bling and the glitz are in the bay area right now. So getting that back won't be easy.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: