Max FA route or Grow slow and organic route
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you want to take risk for Max FAs or grow slow through draft?
Max FAs
58%
 58%  [ 28 ]
Grow slow and organic
41%
 41%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 48

70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject:

The hybrid approach is also available to the club, that is, a careful (perhaps lucky ?) insertion of a high synergy FA, be he max or not.

The short term "add a star" hasn't worked around here lately: Dwight, Nash. I reckon there are more ways to add someone for high pay than we care to count, few of which however would improve the club and pay off in the mid-term or beyond, let alone in the short term.

The manner of approach to acquisition matters little, really. Just be damned careful who you add.
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject:

With the crop of promising young players on this team, I don't want the FO to make reckless moves, such as giving away our talented young guys, just to chase max FA's. You can do grow your team organically, while also providing yourself the ability to acquire a premium star player. One can look to the Warriors, and Celtics, as prime examples.

The Warriors drafted their young core of Steph, Klay, Barnes, and Draymond, and developed those players over years. They made smart FA acquisitions, and won a title with those players, before letting Barnes go, in order to sign KD (no brainer).

The Celtics were smart in trading away players for picks, after the big 3 era, and just being patient. Eventually all those assets paid off with a slew of talented young players. They kept the players/picks they liked, traded the others away for more assets, and made smart FA signings, while never giving away their future.

If those two teams can do this, there's no reason Magic and Pelinka can't do the same, with patience, planning, and smart moves.

ZOOM!!!!!!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Max FA route or Grow slow and organic route

cal1piggy wrote:
When the new FO took over, they had some young players in BI, DLO, Nance and Clarkson. What do they do in the next year?

Route 1: max FAs
1. Clear salaries to make space for max FAs.
2. Take risk if max FAs dont come, then the rebuilt would be slowed down because of lost of DLO, Clarkson and Nance.
3. If max FAs come, then we would be contender that would give Warriors a good battle for a few years while they get older sooner due to age difference

Route 2: slow and organic
1. Do not clear salaries and keep drafting well
2. Dont take risk to clear Clarkson, Moz and Deng contracts and wait till end of 2019 before trying to get FAs.
3. Understand that DLO, Nance and Randle would have to be paid or count a lot against the cap by end of 2019.
4. If DLO, Clarkson and Nance are not worth resigning, then the team would be left with BI, Ball and Kuz (no Hart) without a shot at max FAs.

I am all in - take the calculated risk. Worst case, go back to the tank.

I don't think either route is inherently better, and I also don't think there are only two black-and-white paths. Because of that I didn't vote in the poll.

The bottom line is: I was always skeptical of the two max FA plan, but the Lakers have committed to it so there isn't much to do other than sit back and see what happens.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: