Rare single-game footage of George Mikan in or close to his prime vs the Pistons in 1952
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dantheman9758
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Rare single-game footage of George Mikan in or close to his prime vs the Pistons in 1952

To my knowledge this is the closest look we can ever have to George Mikan playing the majority of an NBA game during, or near his prime. Mikan scored 32 points this game, 20 of which are available from a 31 minute silent coaches film. The next closest thing we've got is a 1954 Finals game piece but that particular film is less than half of the game where as this Pistons game is about 2/3rds of one, and Mikan is at the end of his career in the Finals game and doesn't dominate the way he used to. In this 1952 Pistons game he goes up against 6-11 Charlie Share and can be seen blocking numerous shots to give an idea how he dominated on both ends. Also, note his ball handling confidence - he's a better ball handler than most bigs. He's got a good variety of shots including a floater in transition. And he moves his bulk around extremely well, laterally and in transition, in my opinion especially considering at that stage of his career he was something like 270lbs. Hope you guys enjoy.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject:

Thank you for sharing! This is awesome!
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject:

he's got a 99 rating in NBA2K18, that's all I really know about him so this is really cool!
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject:

George had skills!
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject:

As the old school commentator says... (My•Can)
I've always thought it was... (Mike•Ken)
Who would have thunk.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject:

Thank god for the advancements in all aspects of bball since these days. I couldn't imagine having to watch this style of ball today.
dantheman9758
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
Thank god for the advancements in all aspects of bball since these days. I couldn't imagine having to watch this style of ball today.

Individually, he plays pretty well if you ask me - ambidextrous, aggressive turning in or boxing out/chasing rebounds, defends the paint - roams to the high post or low - on either side, can pass. And he's particularly mobile in transition for a center. Isn't that kind of what you'd want out of a center? Or do you just prefer they step aside and catch backdoor lobs and let the guards and forwards handle the offense? About the only thing he doesn't do well is jump but even today truthfully there's still a lot of bigs that can't jump. The rest of his game fits in well with what you'd expect a good modern center to be capable - unless stretching the floor is key for how you like a modern center to play which some teams do like.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject:

That's the most footage of Mikan I've seen from any contest. Thanks for bringing it to LG.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject:

Were there any other players around that time as tall as Mikan?
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject:

dantheman9758 wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

Individually, he plays pretty well if you ask me - ambidextrous, aggressive turning in or boxing out/chasing rebounds, defends the paint - roams to the high post or low - on either side, can pass. And he's particularly mobile in transition for a center. Isn't that kind of what you'd want out of a center? Or do you just prefer they step aside and catch backdoor lobs and let the guards and forwards handle the offense? About the only thing he doesn't do well is jump but even today truthfully there's still a lot of bigs that can't jump. The rest of his game fits in well with what you'd expect a good modern center to be capable - unless stretching the floor is key for how you like a modern center to play which some teams do like.

I agree, Mikan looked good in those clips compared to everyone else no doubt. Overall though the game was played at such a putrid pace and style that it's no wonder the league almost died before new rule changes and 3 pt line were implemented. I'm talking frome a pure entertainment stand point the best era's were the 80s run n gun showtime era and current day era of pace and space.
dantheman9758
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Were there any other players around that time as tall as Mikan?

Of course, his opposing center that game Charlie Share is taller than he was - and was no small guy either, at 235-240 in his early years and ballooning up to 260+ when he was into the Bill Russell era (Share was the center on the 58 Hawks championship team that beat the Celtics).

Mikan - for the record (from newspaper archives) was 6 foot 9 in his bare feet. That's the exact same height as Dwight Howard for anyone who wants a modern comparison. Not short, but not a 7 footer. Mikan wasn't good because he was taller than his opposition, most all the teams had a guy who was his class of height some even taller, and most teams also looked for adding guys to their rosters that were massive too to try and offset Mikan's strength but the problem is most massive guys weren't as good at basketball, or as athletic as Mikan so you either had to play a similar height guy who was skilled but not strong enough, or big but not quick enough. This was essentially the same match up nightmare as you got with Shaq or Wilt. Lot of guys in his class of height though - at 270lbs you could say it was sorta like he's a giant and everyone else is just too small, but - Shaq for example was the same way but even more so, Shaq would have probably had a wider disparity between him and his eras next biggest bigs than Mikan would in his. But still a similar kind of mismatch issue - just not so much about height more just about his bulk, mobility and skill combo. It's like a cheat code. Mikan gets 3 things (size, skill, mobility) - everyone else gets 2 or if really unfortunate, 1.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject:

That was interesting. The main things I noticed were:

1. Mikan is huge compared to everyone else. He looks like a college player going against junior high students. Most of his success, at least from this video, seems to be related to his being too big for anyone to move, get around, or reach his shot, even though he has a low release point.

2. His ball handling skills are pretty good for his size.

3. It doesn't look like anyone on the court ever jumps more than two inches off the ground.

4. I had no idea Mikan shot free throws underhanded.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Thanks
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Thank you dantheman9758

This is great footage, always wanted to see some early laker games.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Thank you for posting!
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Thanks. More agile than I imagined.
Gellollo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject:

I remember when I was little, and I thought Jerry West was the first Laker star. Then ESPN would show pictures of this guy with the Jersey #99. I thought to myself, "Who is this #99 guy?" He felt like a myth. I mean... c'mon. Number 99? Who wears that? LOL
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject:

He would have prevented that Mavs Scrubs Dunk Contest from happening to us last weekend.
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Wow! Mikan was a beast!
dantheman9758
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject:

Got one more good clip of him in his prime too, in this 1950 clip he blocks a players shot from way out in modern 3 point range - keeps it in play - then on the other end draws a double team and dishes a blind behind the back pass to a cutter. Nice 4 point swing:

StoicChalice392
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject:

I guess his name is pronounced 'my can'?
Kjj10697X
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Sorry but I am not that impressed. He only dribbles with his right hand and looks at the ball when he dribbles. Everyone guarding him is slow and shorter.

I doubt he is better than Mychal Thompson.

He would be pedestrian in today's NBA.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject:

dantheman9758 wrote:
Got one more good clip of him in his prime too, in this 1950 clip he blocks a players shot from way out in modern 3 point range - keeps it in play - then on the other end draws a double team and dishes a blind behind the back pass to a cutter. Nice 4 point swing:

I like how the people in the stands are all wearing suits, with hands neatly folded in their laps, and have no visible reaction to anything. They could be mannequins.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Kjj10697X wrote:
Sorry but I am not that impressed. He only dribbles with his right hand and looks at the ball when he dribbles. Everyone guarding him is slow and shorter.

Lol, any Div I team right now could travel back in time and have an undefeated season in Mikans days. Babe Ruth never saw a fastball above 85 MPH, Mike Tyson would have destroyed Ali 10/10 times in their primes. It’s not about how he’d play in the current NBA with his skills, it’s how much better he is than people around him.

Michael Jordan would struggle to be a top 5 player in todays league if you just transported him into 2018....and Westbrook would be the GOAT if you transported him back to the 80’s. It’s about context brotha...
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Kjj10697X wrote:

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: