Now that it is possible to trade the 2019 pick, what are the options?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Now that it is possible to trade the 2019 pick, what are the options?

I was reading the media reports and something that doesn't seem to be mentioned is that I think we can now trade our 2019 pick since we have gotten a 2018 pick. I think the rule is that a team must have a draft selection once every 2 years.

Could this be huge for us? Like does Deng become more palatable to a team like the Nets if we give them our 2019 pick (top 3 protected) and like a couple of 2nd round draft picks? or the 2019 and 2021 first round picks if we're sure we can get both Lebron and PG13.

Or could the 2019 pick be used to get us back a nice player given how valuable picks are in the current salary cap structure.

We might now be able to keep Randle, given the new possibilities having our 2019 pick as a tradable asset brings to us.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Now that it is possible to trade the 2019 pick, what are the options?

Vanquish wrote:
I was reading the media reports and something that doesn't seem to be mentioned is that I think we can now trade our 2019 pick since we have gotten a 2018 pick. I think the rule is that a team must have a draft selection once every 2 years.

Could this be huge for us? Like does Deng become more palatable to a team like the Nets if we give them our 2019 pick (top 3 protected) and like a couple of 2nd round draft picks? or the 2019 and 2021 first round picks if we're sure we can get both Lebron and PG13.

Or could the 2019 pick be used to get us back a nice player given how valuable picks are in the current salary cap structure.

We might now be able to keep Randle, given the new possibilities having our 2019 pick as a tradable asset brings to us.

if we want to keep randle while doing 2 max in 2018, we dont have the cap space for the 2018 draft pick.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Now that it is possible to trade the 2019 pick, what are the options?

cal1piggy wrote:
Vanquish wrote:

if we want to keep randle while doing 2 max in 2018, we dont have the cap space for the 2018 draft pick.

I think that is where the 2018 pick can help even if we keep it. Our own 2019 pick would be much more palatable to other teams, than a cavs 2018 pick. I really think it is possible to move Deng with 2 first round picks, but hopefully with just one first round pick and a couple of second round picks

A Team like the nets needs as many picks as they can get given that they traded away all their picks. If we get rid of Deng, we open up more than enough space for the 2 max plus Randle in 2018.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Now that it is possible to trade the 2019 pick, what are the options?

cal1piggy wrote:
Vanquish wrote:

If Deng is traded like the OP is proposing, it is possible.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Now that it is possible to trade the 2019 pick, what are the options?

PRLakeShow wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
Vanquish wrote:

If Deng is traded like the OP is proposing, it is possible.

i think it depends on how many you want to keep.
if you want to keep the main 5 players plus bryant, caruso, zubac, then every million counts.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Since the draft changes in 2019, picks going forward are more valuable
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Since the draft changes in 2019, picks going forward are more valuable

Yea but our 2019 pick might be 25-30 vs Cavs pick 2018 20-25 (hope they implode a lil)
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject:

There are no options regarding Deng, people need to stop hypothesizing scenarios to dump him for picks. He’s going to be stretched for $7.2 million dollars a year, it’s not that much. No other team will take a mid 1st round pick for a $36mil corpse.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:00 am    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:
There are no options regarding Deng, people need to stop hypothesizing scenarios to dump him for picks. He’s going to be stretched for $7.2 million dollars a year, it’s not that much. No other team will take a mid 1st round pick for a $36mil corpse.

If we do strike out on the 2 max in 2018 (for e.g. no superstars or just pg13), I don't see how moving Deng at the trade deadline is not realistic.

By that time, he has essentially 1.5 seasons left. He would become a large expiring contract in about 30 games and can be traded or flipped in 2019 by the receiving team for another player. In fact he might actually be an asset in 2019 given that he is a large expiring contract which teams want.

The problem with the stretch option is that he is on the books for 4 years. In an age where every single dollar counts, having 7.2 mil for a player who doesn't play for 4 years really hurts.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:

Agree. You stretch him only IF needed for an incoming star otherwise you ride with him to get him off the books completely sooner. Lakers should not do any thing rash unless they need the extra cap space for someone really great, not just for a bench guy.

Last edited by deal on Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject:

This gives us a lot of options. I'm interested to see how we move with this extra asset at our disposal.
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject:

I think you gotta use the pick of at least trade it for another first rounder in the next few years. I’d we sign 2 stars, we will need cheap labor to balance it out.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject:

ugh why are people so much in a hurry to give up valuable assets just to get rid of Deng?? We need to be on a 2 year plan anyway because there is nothing we can realistically do to take on the Warriors in 1-2 seasons.
And if we make the mistake of making an all-in attempt of trying we will just weaken our chances beyond repair to compete with the up and coming teams ready to take over after the Warriors dominance ends with no championships to show for it
LakergirlsFan710
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject:

If the Lakers get any type of assurances that they can land top free agents then they should just go ahead and trade both this years cleveland pick and the 2019 laker first rounder to get rid of Deng. They just need to have an agreement in place before the draft, then select the player the other team wants, then announce the trade: lakers trade player selected plus 2019 pick and Deng for 2nd rounder. Wouldnt be trading 2 picks in a row since pick is now a specific player.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject:

Lakers 2019 pick is NOT tradable. If they had gotten the Cavs pick unprotected, then it would be. But the Ted Stepien rule prevents teams from being in a situation where team may be left without consecutive future picks, and the rules deem the Cavs pick as not-guaranteed to be going to the Lakers. It doesn't matter that there's no way in hell that the Cavs' pick will fall top-three this year -- the tradeability of picks doesn't change depending on a team's mid-season record.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Lakers 2019 pick is NOT tradable. If they had gotten the Cavs pick unprotected, then it would be. But the Ted Stepien rule prevents teams from being in a situation where team may be left without consecutive future picks, and the rules deem the Cavs pick as not-guaranteed to be going to the Lakers. It doesn't matter that there's no way in hell that the Cavs' pick will fall top-three this year -- the tradeability of picks doesn't change depending on a team's mid-season record.

Thanks for the clarification! much appreciated.
LakergirlsFan710
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject:

Vanquish wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

But once the 2018 pick is actually selected its no longer a pick, its a player's rights and the 2019 would now be tradable immediately wouldn't it.
SOLakerFan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:

There are plenty of options regarding Deng. If the Lakers want to give up 2 1st round picks (and maybe a 2nd) than I think someone would be willing to take on Deng's contract.

We could also trade a 1st round pick and Deng for a contract a player/contract with less money owed. We could then stretch this player and have a smaller cap hit.

The main question for the FO is, assuming we get 2 max players, is it more advantageous to have Randle or 2 1st rounds picks? I think it would be better to have Randle, because he is a proven player and is more ready to compete now, which is important once you bring in Lebron and PG.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject:

LakergirlsFan710 wrote:
Vanquish wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

But once the 2018 pick is actually selected its no longer a pick, its a player's rights and the 2019 would now be tradable immediately wouldn't it.

Draft night we see who's on the board Vs trading Deng. No need to
do anything now.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject:

LakergirlsFan710 wrote:
Vanquish wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

Or after draft lottery, where protected status will be determined
LakergirlsFan710
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
LakergirlsFan710 wrote:
Vanquish wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

Or after draft lottery, where protected status will be determined

But trades deadline had passed and wont be open again till draft night not lottery day although we will know the outcome.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
ugh why are people so much in a hurry to give up valuable assets just to get rid of Deng?? We need to be on a 2 year plan anyway because there is nothing we can realistically do to take on the Warriors in 1-2 seasons.
And if we make the mistake of making an all-in attempt of trying we will just weaken our chances beyond repair to compete with the up and coming teams ready to take over after the Warriors dominance ends with no championships to show for it

Good logical point, the Lakers only need to stretch Deng is they have an actual need for the cap space, otherwise, keeping him another year REDUCES the 5-year payout.

But, I would rather trade him with the Cavs-2018 pick than the Lakers-2019 pick..

And your right, the Warriors have a super team that is going to remain dominant for at least 4 years, so Lakers just have to build accordingly...
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject:

LakergirlsFan710 wrote:

Which would have been the case whether or not the Lakers traded for another team's 2018 pick.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject:

LakergirlsFan710 wrote:
But trades deadline had passed and wont be open again till draft night not lottery day although we will know the outcome.

Teams can make trades when their season ends.
HAWAIIGUY27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:11 am    Post subject:

Soooo why can't we just play him next season? Assuming we lose Julius, would he really be that terrible as a backup 4 playing 15mpg? If anything, it would improve his trade stock compared to what it is now and everyone thinking he's unable to play or dead.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: