Report of active shooter at school in Parkland, FL; number of wounded unclear
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:
danzag wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
danzag wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
For some reason this one seems different to me. Listening to how articulate these kids and parents are speaking about how serious they are about gun control gives me some home for change here. Even if they succeed in getting AR-15's banned in Florida, that will be a positive change.

Those should be banned in the US. yes, it will force people to the black market. Good.

There is no reason that civilians should own one.

Or any kind of firearm.

That's a radical viewpoint. I'd bet most Americans think owning a hand gun or hunting rifles is fine.

And there's nothing wrong with having AR-15's accessible to sport shooters. Just make them only available to rent at a controlled shooting location, with proper security and around people who want to be around guns.

Well, I'm not american.

There's no need for someone to have a firearm of any kind, IMHO.
Killing animals for sport is also incredibly stupid.

In the rural areas, it isn't for sport. Just like mountain lions, bears and moose don't consider it sport when they're trying to kill you.

The night I was out in the rurals that I came upon a car that hit a cow I realized why farmers have guns. Watching a half dead cow stare @ us for an hour until we found someone to euthanize it was awful. If I was living in the rurals I would have one.

Don't need an assault rifle to kill an animal that is attacking, or for purposes of euthanasia . . . not even in "the rurals".

You have a weird definition of "a firearm of any kind."
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:
danzag wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
danzag wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
For some reason this one seems different to me. Listening to how articulate these kids and parents are speaking about how serious they are about gun control gives me some home for change here. Even if they succeed in getting AR-15's banned in Florida, that will be a positive change.

Those should be banned in the US. yes, it will force people to the black market. Good.

Or any kind of firearm.

That's a radical viewpoint. I'd bet most Americans think owning a hand gun or hunting rifles is fine.

And there's nothing wrong with having AR-15's accessible to sport shooters. Just make them only available to rent at a controlled shooting location, with proper security and around people who want to be around guns.

Well, I'm not american.

In the rural areas, it isn't for sport. Just like mountain lions, bears and moose don't consider it sport when they're trying to kill you.

The night I was out in the rurals that I came upon a car that hit a cow I realized why farmers have guns. Watching a half dead cow stare @ us for an hour until we found someone to euthanize it was awful. If I was living in the rurals I would have one.

Don't need an assault rifle to kill an animal that is attacking, or for purposes of euthanasia . . . not even in "the rurals".

Not all. I'm just making the point that because there are distinctions between different types of guns, our legislation needs to factor that in. I'm all for people with legitimate needs or desires for a firearm having reasonable access, but that access doesn't mean any type of weapon they desire.

I'm actually supporting your position that there are reasons for civilians to own guns. But I'm saying that there needs to be reasonable limits on the types of weapons they can have.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
The 2nd amendment has been bastardized to suit the NRA's agenda. There's no need for a militia for which the Founding Fathers wrote the right to bear arms. It won't defeat the today's modern military.

I abide with having a gun for home protection if properly trained. AK-47's, AR-15's don't fit the bill.

IMO the only people who should legally carry in public are public officials.

The 2nd amendment has never changed, it has always supported the right of citizens to bear arms.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
The 2nd amendment has been bastardized to suit the NRA's agenda. There's no need for a militia for which the Founding Fathers wrote the right to bear arms. It won't defeat the today's modern military.

I abide with having a gun for home protection if properly trained. AK-47's, AR-15's don't fit the bill.

The 2nd amendment has never changed, it has always supported the right of citizens to bear arms for the purposes of a well regulated militia.

FIFY.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject:

I'm pretty sure that the folks who framed the 2nd amendment were unable to grasp the concept of the guns readily available today.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:

The 2nd amendment has never changed, it has always supported the right of citizens to bear arms.

It hasn't changed.
Quote:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
You completely missed or ignored my posts meaning about the Founding Fathers reason for the 2nd amendment.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the folks who framed the 2nd amendment were unable to grasp the concept of the guns readily available today.

How many men, back then, did it take to carry something that has the firepower of an AR15?

In a Well Regulated Government.. an AR-15 wouldn't
be able to be purchased by the florida shooter or many others.. obviously.

A long time ago I felt America and the citizens
here were just frat boy (bleep) toys to the
Republican Slaves and their Corporate Owners

Even if some parts of the democratic party had some issues..
I always felt the Democrats were People/Land/*leaning to
understanding vs mass incarceration.. Working to bring unity of color..

If human beings .. myself included .. wouldn't have created this lifestyle
where we don't have enough time
to try to help our neighbors.. that boy. .
the florida shooter.. look at the LONG
history of outrageous unconscionable antics..
but nobody had enough time to help..

nobody has enough time to be an educated voter..
enough time to help change the evolution of
our species which will destroy our planet

A throw away society
throws away citizens
creates mass murderers?
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:

Well they did add "well regulated" but the NRA hears regulated and immediately cries "shall not be infringed upon".
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:
danzag wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
danzag wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

Or any kind of firearm.

Well, I'm not american.

Not all. I'm just making the point that because there are distinctions between different types of guns, our legislation needs to factor that in. I'm all for people with legitimate needs or desires for a firearm having reasonable access, but that access doesn't mean any type of weapon they desire.

I'm actually supporting your position that there are reasons for civilians to own guns. But I'm saying that there needs to be reasonable limits on the types of weapons they can have.

In that point, I'm in total agreement.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject:

That was almost a case of friendly fire...
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject:

THE REASONABLE RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS

LINK

Quote:
While the Founders sought to protect the citizenry from being disarmed entirely, they did not wish to prevent government from adopting reasonable regulations of guns and gun owners.

Quote:

The Second Amendment, by contrast, unambiguously recognizes that the armed citizenry must be regulated—and regulated “well.”

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
THE REASONABLE RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS

LINK

Quote:
While the Founders sought to protect the citizenry from being disarmed entirely, they did not wish to prevent government from adopting reasonable regulations of guns and gun owners.

Quote:

The Second Amendment, by contrast, unambiguously recognizes that the armed citizenry must be regulated—and regulated “well.”

Nice link..
I trust the NRA, Ted Nugent, Rush, Hannity,
Paul Ryan et al to tell me
what the constitution meant
and my guns to keep me safe from
highfalutin liberal elitists like you
who want to regulate me...
TIA
/russiantrollbot
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject:

A reserves trainee who died helping other students escape a Florida school shooting has been posthumously accepted to a prestigious US military school.
Quote:

Peter Wang, 15, who was one of 17 killed in the 14 February attack, was admitted to the class of 2025 at his dream school, West Point Academy.

He was a member of the US Army Junior Reserve Officers' Training Corps (JROTC), a school programme for potential US military officers.
---------------------------

The US Army bestowed the Medal of Heroism to three students who were killed, including Peter, according to US media.

The Cadet Command approved Junior ROTC Heroism Medals for cadets Alaina Petty, Peter Wang and Martin Duque, an army spokesman told Fox News.

Peter was in uniform when he was fatally shot while holding the door for others fleeing a gunman at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, witnesses say.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43132215
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The Clooneys said they would also join students from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School for the 24 March rally in the nation's capital.

"Our children's lives depend on it," the couple said in a statement.

The "March for Our Lives" rally is being organised in the wake of last week's mass school shooting in Florida.

Mr Clooney said in the statement: "Our family will be there on March 24 to stand side by side with this incredible generation of young people from all over the country, and in the name of our children Ella and Alexander, we're donating 500,000 dollars to help pay for this groundbreaking event."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43135640
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Assault Rifle Ban Bill Voted Down In Florida House

LINK

Quote:
TALLAHASSEE (CBSMiami/NSF) — Less than a week after a gunman used a semiautomatic rifle to kill 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, the Florida House on Tuesday turned down an attempt to take up a bill designed to prevent the sale and possession of “assault” weapons.

Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject:

shooter was *not* connected to white nationalist groups; that element was a 4chan prank

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/16/florida-shooting-white-nationalists-415672

https://apnews.com/8247010fc41141ce83a679182ab841ba
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject:

^^^^ Nikolas Cruz got Jeff Session ears.

Last edited by jodeke on Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Assault Rifle Ban Bill Voted Down In Florida House

LINK

Quote:
TALLAHASSEE (CBSMiami/NSF) — Less than a week after a gunman used a semiautomatic rifle to kill 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, the Florida House on Tuesday turned down an attempt to take up a bill designed to prevent the sale and possession of “assault” weapons.

Quote:
Meantime, a Florida Senate committee has endorsed a proposal to put law enforcement officers in every school in the state.

Great way to solve (bleep)
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Maybe teenagers getting involved will inspire parents to take a stand. This may cause Millennials to answer the call to arms, Congress to take some action. The teenage infusion is great. It gives me a reason to have faith of the country's future.

Parkland Survivors Call for a March on Washington, and Plan School Walkout

LINK

Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject:

Trump is calling for a ban on bump stocks.

That is sooo, like, 15 mass shootings ago.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject:

I hear a lot of folks who say having an AR15 and a regular hunting rifle are no different. They function the same and people are only scared of them because they look different.

Let’s put this myth to rest. It’s called heat warpage.

I’ll explain. Most Hunting style rifles are manufactured to be light and have a thinner barrel. Anyone who has ever tried to fire 20-30 rounds in rapid succession from a hunting rifle soon realizes that the heat begins to warp the barrel sometimes to the extent it becomes un fireable to a lesser extent it completely ruins the accuracy of the rifle. Hence the reason hunting rifles, for the most part to not have high capacity magazines.

On the other hand, most assault rifles have built in cooling mechanisms to allow them to put as many rounds down range as possible in the shortest amount of time with the highest degree of accuracy.

Put simply, these are two completely different weapons designed for two completely different purposes. Anyone that tries to say otherwise is either lying because they think we don’t know better (a lot of people don’t) or they themselves are uneducated as to the difference.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject:

HIGH POWERED HUNTING RIFLE /// AR-15

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:

The 2nd amendment has never changed, it has always supported the right of citizens to bear arms for the purposes of a well regulated militia.

FIFY.

And it was quite insightful of them
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Trump is championing the idea of armed teachers.........sigh.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
Trump is championing the idea of armed teachers.........sigh.

His description was so uncomfortable to watch. Talking about how former military people are going to be teachers. Is this supposed to be the best and easiest answer to all this, militarize the teachers?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: