What star combo do you most want the Lakers to sign and/or trade for ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What FA combo do you most want the Lakers to sign and/or trade for ?
PG and Lebron
16%
 16%  [ 21 ]
PG and Kawhi (2019)
23%
 23%  [ 31 ]
PG and Klay (2019)
23%
 23%  [ 31 ]
PG and Butler (2019)
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
PG and AD (2020)
23%
 23%  [ 30 ]
PG and Dray (2020)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
PG only- the young core will supply the other stars
10%
 10%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 130

Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
Wonder how many votes PG and AD got after the game tonight.

AD would be amazing with PG and our young guys.

In a scenario with AD, wouldn't he be THE YOUNG CORE? Because you'd have to trade almost everybody for him, thus, he becomes your young core. LOL!
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
Wonder how many votes PG and AD got after the game tonight.

AD would be amazing with PG and our young guys.

In a scenario with AD, wouldn't he be THE YOUNG CORE? Because you'd have to trade almost everybody for him, thus, he becomes your young core. LOL!

We just have to punt until 2020 and and hope brandon takes a qualifying offer.
Artesties
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject:

CP3
PG13
LeBron
Kuzma
AD

Trade Lonzo and Ingram for AD
Sign PG13 full max
LeBron and CP3 take less to play together
El Seano
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:39 am    Post subject:

Timofey Mozgov and Luol Deng.

Oh wait...
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:45 am    Post subject:

Artesties wrote:
CP3
PG13
LeBron
Kuzma
AD

Trade Lonzo and Ingram for AD
Sign PG13 full max
LeBron and CP3 take less to play together

Assuming we traded Deng, Ball, and Ingram for AD, this is what I come up with for next year's cap, and this is with us getting PG via trade where he doesn't opt out, thus saving us almost $10MM next season. This also assumes we keep Bryant but have traded or released Zu; perhaps Zu is part of the PG trade, along with a future 1st. Anyhow, here goes...

AD $25.4MM
PG $20.7MM
Kuzma $1.7MM
Hart $1.7MM
Bryant $1.4MM
CLE Draft pick $1.2MM (estimate)

The above totals about $52.1MM, and, of course, this would mean we've renounced Randle. Let's say that LeBron and CP3 did want to join up. That would mean you still have to account for 4 minimum cap holds, or about $3.3MM. So now you're up to about $55.4MM. With the $101MM projected cap, this leaves about $45.6MM to split between both CP3 and LeBron. I don't see any realistic scenario where that would be enough money for both of them. And this was already where I was trying to save us nearly $10MM by making PG's acquisition a trade where he doesn't opt out.

You will notice, though, that the remaining $45.6MM or so might be enough to sign LeBron to his full max and to re-sign Randle. You could give LeBron his full max and sign Randle to a deal for a starting salary of approximately $10MM in year one, a number that would replace his $12.5MM cap hold. With small annual raises on the RFA scale, I think he'd end up getting between $43-45MM over the 4 years of his deal, and that feels like it's in the ballpark to me.

If Lopez signed for the room exception, this would give you 7 legit NBA rotation players next year (LeBron, AD, PG, Randle, Kuzma, Hart, and Lopez), with Thomas Bryant a possibility as well. The Cleveland draft pick could end up in the rotation, and you would have to imagine that we could come up with one or two ring chasers that might be in the rotation as well. This roster has no true point guard (although I think LeBron could handle that role, in essence), but we could probably get one, either in the draft or from a ring chasing vet. We would need guard depth, in general, with that roster.

In short, it's possible to have LeBron/PG/AD team up. All it will take is PG to take less money next season, OKC to play ball, and the Pelicans to play ball and deal AD. Piece of cake.
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject:

PG only for this year. And allow Zo Ingram kuzma to grow. I think having a superstar will expedite their growth bc they will get wide open looks
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject:

I'd sign PG to see what happens, although after watching the last two games, it seems like LeBron's leadership might be what we need more, because that was pathetic.

Then wait and sign AD, rather than trade half our team for him. I think Luke can fix this... I give him credit for the first turn around when Ball got hurt... and then he did it again after the Orlando game. Both times, it looked bleak... and then we looked really good for awhile. It's frustrating because just when it looked like we were rolling, the injury and then the trade messed up the team's flow.

The only other alternative to consider is that Nance was so intrinsic to the team's defensive success is that we cannot succeed without him... I believe he was a big part of it... but we'd go long patches where he played small minutes without allowing 40 points a quarter, so I don't think it's the sole reason.

Let's see what Luke does before making absurd trades... I like all the players on the poll... but as I've said before... even the three best with no bench isn't enough. You need a strong bench... and as we've seen, OKC even with Adams isn't enough especially without Roberson... and Boston's big three wouldn't have won without the fluke of Rondo's emergence out of nowhere. You need depth from somewhere and there's no time to wait for some picks to develop (more so if you trade them all away) if you are dealing with LeBron's short window.

Last edited by Sentient Meat on Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject:

I love to dream and this thread is really making me salivate.

But we really need to get one max level FA. Still do not think PG13 is a 100% guarantee, though I still lean towards his return to LA. However, we have to show him that we are on the upswing. I get that we just traded Nance/JC, but we can't be losing to teams like Dallas. Hopefully we win 32-34 games.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject:

BigBallerBrand wrote:
PG only for this year. And allow Zo Ingram kuzma to grow. I think having a superstar will expedite their growth bc they will get wide open looks

I would love the addition of PG but I think the Lakers just reduced the chance of him signing by himself by trading away bench depth.

Team just reduced their sales pitch for 1 max. Resources will be needed to replace them. Doubt they can do that cheaper.

Lakers just went all-in on a James/ George pairing. If either or both don't come they mismanaged the situation and will have to backtrack to sell the "next" combo. In 2019. Or 2020. Maybe later?

Wish the best for my Lakers but cynical of this current plan and the overall results. I can only hope the FO is not scrambling as much as the LG boards are at throwing stuff at the wall and hoping something sticks.
The Gr8 Lakes
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject:

I would want PG and some pieces. Noel, Hezonja and Tolliver(give those 3 what we would give the max to. 2 year deals with a 3rd year option). Then with the Cavs pick grab another steal of the draft. Shamet. That’s my hope.

Longtime LG lurker.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject:

Lebron and Klay. It would immediately make us a playoff team and the next season would make us favorites to win it all by making the Warriors worse at the same time.
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject:

chantruong wrote:
Other: Giannis and AD

If we actually got a wish for a combo signing...

Sure would love Bron and PG-13 too...

But Giannis and AD with BI/Ball/Randle/Kuz/Hart, would be a 6 to 7 year juggernaut...
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject:

I don't think kicking a max slot down to 2020 is viable.

1. BI turns restricted FA in 2020 and you have the Randle situation again but with more likelihood that you want to resign him

And

2. 2020 is too far down the road. If you sign PG without another star in 2018, I think the longest you kick it down is 2019. PG isnt going to get enamored by the Indiana treatment again where he didnt get the help he was promised.
RusselDoeee01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject:

Melo and Gelo
DangeRuss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:30 am    Post subject:

PG and Kawhi and not really close honestly
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:37 am    Post subject:

DangeRuss wrote:
PG and Kawhi and not really close honestly

If I 100% knew Kawhi is healthy and if he were a FA this summer, I'd opt for him over LeBron. But although his injury probably isn't a serious long-term thing, it's at least a part of the equation, and he's not an impending free agent. I'd love to get him, but there is no guarantee of that. Of course, there's no guarantee of LeBron, either, but at least we know he can be a free agent. There are less hurdles to jump over in order to make a LeBron/PG pairing happen.
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:53 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I love to dream and this thread is really making me salivate.

If we're dreaming I'll take Durant and PG. Both this summer.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:55 am    Post subject:

kobe
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject:

I have no idea how it could ever happen. I'm not actually predicting it. I just know that if there is one single player that I could cherry pick from any other team in the league, it's Anthony Davis - even over Lebron.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:

1. BI turns restricted FA in 2020 and you have the Randle situation again but with more likelihood that you want to resign him

And

2. 2020 is too far down the road. If you sign PG without another star in 2018, I think the longest you kick it down is 2019. PG isnt going to get enamored by the Indiana treatment again where he didn't get the help he was promised.

2020 was viable when Julius was looking less like a keeper. I have BI, Lonzo, Kuzma, and Hart taking up $40 million. $75 million with PG. $95 million with Julius and cap holds. You'd need the cap to be at least $135 million at that point to go after AD/Dray.
daytripper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject:

deal wrote:
Interesting that those 4 new players on the Cavs have really
elevated the total team play. Makes me think that we were
probably just one all star away from competing. Two would be
great but the right player can make us far better...

Yep I'm fine with just adding 1 all star FA this summer (PG).
If they play well enough next season I can see them adding a Klay or Kawhi in 2019 FA. It's nice to have flexibility as there are so many options.

PG and Kawhi would be amazing. PG and Klay would be great too while stealing a player from GS
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject:

if we had the choice, I would pick any of: PG, AD, Klay, Kawhi over Lebron. Yes he's the single most impactful player in the league by far but he is already on the downswing of his prime and his locker-room/FO politics will quickly drag this team down with him.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
Staccatos wrote:

And

2. 2020 is too far down the road. If you sign PG without another star in 2018, I think the longest you kick it down is 2019. PG isnt going to get enamored by the Indiana treatment again where he didn't get the help he was promised.

2020 was viable when Julius was looking less like a keeper. I have BI, Lonzo, Kuzma, and Hart taking up $40 million. $75 million with PG. $95 million with Julius and cap holds. You'd need the cap to be at least $135 million at that point to go after AD/Dray.

If AD wanted to join PG and the young guys, we’d trade JR in a nanosecond. I like Randle and want him on the team next year, but as we saw once again the other night, Davis is in another universe compared to JR.

2020-21 salaries (assuming $110m cap)

BI , Zo, Kuz, Hart- $40m (includes approx $22m cap hold for BI)
PG- $33m (3rd year of deal with 5% raises each year)
AD- $33m (AD will have 8 years in the NBA in 2020)
6 cap holds= $5.5m

Total=$111.5m That's only $1.5m off the mark, and there are numerous ways to get there.

If the cap is $112m instead of $110m, you've got enough room.

If BI gets extended at $20m per year, or less you've got enough room.

If AD signs for $1.5m less than his max on a 2+1, which would allow him to opt out with 10 years in the NBA and get 35% of the cap, you've got enough room.

Any combination of the above could also work.

The smaller BI's extension is the more money they have to work with. If he extends at $16m/yr, not only is there enough room to sign AD, but you also have enough space to keep your 2019 and 2020 picks on the roster.

Nike could also be a factor- how much would they be willing to increase AD's endorsement $$$ if he was playing on a title-contending Lakers team ? I'm betting it would be more than enough to offfset him taking a small discount for two years, a la KD.

Bottom line is that although the math is tight, there are multiple realistic paths to land AD as a FA.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject:

If you're willing to dump quality players then sure that's always an easy solution in theory. I'm sure the cap will rise sufficiently to $112m by then to obviate the need for any of your other scenarios. That said, I'm not sure AD as your starting (and only) center long term is sustainable. We'll have to see how he holds up the rest of this season and how the game evolves by then.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
If you're willing to dump quality players then sure that's always an easy solution in theory. I'm sure the cap will rise sufficiently to $112m by then to obviate the need for any of your other scenarios. That said, I'm not sure AD as your starting (and only) center long term is sustainable. We'll have to see how he holds up the rest of this season and how the game evolves by then.

If AD was avail as a FA this summer and the numbers forced a choice between PG and AD vs PG and JR, we wouldn't even be having a discussion, right ?

So if you know AD is coming, moving a guy like Randle is a no-brainer, and on a good contract, he'd be easy to move. JR at $10-12m/yr would have playoff teams lining up to add him to their rotation.

That was the problem with JC's deal- it wasn't disaster bad like MozDeng or Noah, but it's not a good contract. We were lucky that the Cavs had very specific needs that aligned well with what we had to offer.

As far as the roster, I agree about not playing AD at the 5 82 games.

Against any team with a true 5, I'd have a vet min big body start, with another vet big and a developmental guy on the roster in the way that the Ws do it.

vet big
AD
BI
PG
Zo

Closing lineup-
AD
Kuz
BI
PG
Zo

If you have enough space to sign AD and keep your picks, you've got a deep bench, assuming the picks are solid.

Kuz
Hart
2018 1st
2019 1st
2020 1st
room exception player (most likely as backup pg)
vet min ring chasers

That's an NBA title team if the young guys keep developing.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: