What happened to the defense?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: What happened to the defense?

We've had like 270 points scored on us in the last two games.

What is the explanation? We're playing the same starting 5 ... and IT only played a few minutes tonight.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What happened to the defense?

mookielala wrote:

What is the explanation? We're playing the same starting 5 ... and IT only played a few minutes tonight.

they have not been the same since IT joined.
dont think it is losing jc and nance.

could they have read too many new clippings and lost their focus?
rami34
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject:

Two teams that took it to us in the paint, as well as shooting lights out. We needed strong play from our big men, and didn’t get it. Our exterior defense needed to keep opposing players in front of them, as well as contest shots, and didn’t do good job of that.

I felt Luke overworked this team with two practices this week, I guess to get IT up to speed, but you can see they were step slower tonite.
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject:

saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Maybe the players mentally checked out again due to trades and the talk about 2 max plan.
Laker_Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Traded it for cap space and a pick....
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Maybe Larry Nance functioned as the only real defensive coach we have on game day.
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject:

I think Thomas sabotaged us from the locker room. That has to be the only explanation.

Meanwhile Nance and Clarkson making a no talent LeBron look like Kobe.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject:

Maybe they've already checked out and on break mode.
Young squad who is hosting a party in their back yard...
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject:

They need another team meeting to tell each other to man up again. The effects of the last one have worn off. Allowing one of their ol' braineating zombie corpse offensive starts to put them out of the game early, too. When they let back in old problems that they more or less fixed, something's up.

Plus, it's a mini-miracle to see them active/hustling and winning almost any road game in the Midwest. That's why the early one at HOU and the recent one at OKC felt like the top wins of the season. Almost every other time, they completely shh the bed from the get-go at DEN, UTA, DAL, SA, OKC, NO, MIN, and MEM. Sometimes, they play well at HOU, but they recently had that embarrassing 142-148 2OT loss at HOU that they couldn't close out with Hardon out, CP all gimpy, and no-names making big plays. That's a problem when even Lakerfan know to write off 8 different venues before tipoff. They're 7-37 at all those places over the last 3 seasons with at MIN tomorrow and there are some real doosies among them. I see a 75-123 L (48 pt) at Utah score in front of me here. I know they don't win a lot of games in general, but many of these Midwest losses are scores that indicate zero intensity, zero effort from the opening tap to the final buzzer.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Laker_Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Naw, it isnt IT or the traded players per se.....

If your co-workers who you were hired with and relied on for encouragement were suddenly fired with no meaningful explanation , it would take you a while to regain your work ethic/effort/morale for the company especially if you were away from home on a business trip when it happened.

Luckily, the break comes soon after the trade deadline so that the players have a bit of time to collect themselves before the push to the end. Hopefully, Lonzo coming back stabilizes everything.

However, it is possible that this trade fundimentally ripped the team's heart out and they are going to quit. But, if that is the case you need to clean house anyway.....

Man, a lot is riding on this off season now...boom or bust!
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject:

rock0100 wrote:
I think Thomas sabotaged us from the locker room. That has to be the only explanation.

Meanwhile Nance and Clarkson making a no talent LeBron look like Kobe.

I promise you I'm not coming back to defend Brawn a 2nd time, but c'mon there. Plus, IT isn't the sewer monster posing as an evil clown. He hasn't been here long enough to cause movie IT level sabotage.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Jocker wrote:

However, it is possible that this trade fundimentally ripped the team's heart out and they are going to quit. But, if that is the case you need to clean house anyway.....

If this group's hearts are broken because Clarkson and Nance got traded, then more of them need to be traded. That would be pretty damn pathetic even by their standards over the past 4-5 yrs. I get what you're saying, but we talkin bout Nance 'n Clark. We talkin bout Nance n Clark. Not good players, but Nance and Clark. They should be able to handle this.

They've also lost 9 in a row not too long ago. I don't see evidence of quitting after two nasty losses, but they need to reassess again and check themselves. The intensity and effort is not there from the beginning of either game. They're pulling crap that they had mostly overcome early on and they can do it again. If they had truly quit, it was then, when Lonzo went out and they were losing those home gms vs POR/MEM. They're not at that level of panic yet, but the earlier they can reconnoiter themselves, the better. Two losses can be forgettable, but this can stretch to 5+ in a hurry if they're not taking matters seriously. Maybe turn the radio back off during practice and a little less "OUR way every day" and more "DEFENSE or your ass is on the bench".
sogood.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject:

Before the trade the team recently gave up

127 to Orlando

123 to Toronto
LAL4K3RS
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Jocker wrote:

If your co-workers who you were hired with and relied on for encouragement were suddenly fired with no meaningful explanation , it would take you a while to regain your work ethic/effort/morale for the company especially if you were away from home on a business trip when it happened.

Luckily, the break comes soon after the trade deadline so that the players have a bit of time to collect themselves before the push to the end. Hopefully, Lonzo coming back stabilizes everything.

I agree that the trade ripped out this teams heart and if they check out, we have blown so many first rounders we might as well give up an idea of getting ANY superstars here. Nobody wants to play with a team that is checked out.

I think the other thing is that you had a team that was jelling pretty well and winning against good teams and to trade away two players who were more than just role players and get a player like IT...it is like taking 3 steps backwards. I think Luke was really pissed about this trade.

We are not getting any big players here so long as we have IT. But we also won't get any players here if Ball is taking the rest of the year off either.

We are going to be more than screwed if we have to wait 3 years to start signing top end players and most of the guys on this team will leave because this team has zero loyalty to the players and zero trust in them.

I am sick of being at the bottom of the league and this year was giving me a little hope. I got nothing now. Zero hope. I think I know what it is like to be a SAC or PHX fan now. It feels awful. Magic has one chance to show me he can bring in top end players but you need a better core of players than what we have right now.
This Laker Organization has not yet hit bottom. It is moving there quickly, and I suspect this year we will see zero talent coming to the Lakers and we will trade away Kuz and BI for old vets in the hopes of giving LeBronze some scapegoats.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject:

sogood. wrote:

127 to Orlando

123 to Toronto

Yeah. Orlando was a poo pie in particular.
rami34
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject:

Teams love to bring something extra when playing Lakers. When other team is shooting lights out, we gotta step it up. Defenders need to get shooters off their game. Body them up early, physically harass them, whatever to make em lose their rhythm. Sometimes, if they're not coached into it, players can't make such adjustments during the game, which is reflection of young team.
L.A.T.W
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject:

sogood. wrote:

127 to Orlando

123 to Toronto

Thank you for pointing theffort!! People love scapegoats & have short term memory but the recent win streak wiped away the fact that we have been a bad defensive team all year, with flashes of great effort.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject:

Regressing to mean maybe. Winning 12 out of 16 isn't sustainable with this team.

I never thought team had great defense at all this year. There were just games where teams would miss wide open shots.
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Jocker wrote:

Granted, that's a poetic explanation, but I highly doubt the trade is the reason for the sudden lull...or, at least to the extent that you portrayed.

It definitely sucked to lose Clarkson and Nance. The trade gave the Lakers cap space, but cost them versatility. Also, the team, as a whole, was in a groove. When you break that groove with player movement...and not by getting better players (no hate to IT or Frye)...it might take a bit for a young team to find it's balance again. It's going to take time for the players and coaches to figure it out.

Plus, just because we were winning games, and playing better ball, doesn't mean that the Lakers were suddenly going to go on some improbably win streak, and crash the playoff party. It's still a young team, and young teams are notoriously inconsistent.

That said, I hope the Lakers find some semblance of their former defense. Magic and Pelinka have until the 2019 off season to validate this trade...or hope that the young Lakers like BI, Lonzo, Kuzma, etc., come up fast...because if they strike out on major FA's....

ZOOM!!!!!!!!
ibitegirls
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject:

we generally suck on the road.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject:

ibitegirls wrote:
we generally suck on the road.

socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject:

Need zo back
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject:

Uhm. Losing our bench guys made our starters suck on defense?
Ok guys. Logic.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What happened to the defense?

mookielala wrote:

Effort and lack of an energy guy like Larry.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: