Streetballer skills VS. NBA skill?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject:

Streetball is one of the problems of the modern NBA. The league the last 10-15 years has been filled with guys who are really athletic, who can do sick dunks on the break, crossovers, and hit 3s, but they can't play defense, they can't hit the 12-18 ft jumper, they can't pass, they don't play team basketball, etc. I think part of the blame goes to ESPN for glorifying those types of plays on Sportcenter. I also think that Jordan is also somewhat to blame because, although he had good fundamentals, especially after his first retirement, all anyone ever celebrated in him was his dunks, moves, and game winning shots. A whole generation of kids grew up watching him not knowing he was also a great defender, a capable passer, a solid perimeter shooter later in his career, etc.

The quality of play the last 10-12 is so much worse than it was back in the day. I've been watching the NBA only since 1993, and the "older" guys here are lucky to have seen the glory years of the NBA in the 1980s when the level of play, especially on offense, was at an all time high. There are other big reasons, like conservative coaching, expansion, and high salaries, but the emphasis on streetball has really hurt the NBA game.

I'll take straight fundamentals, smarts, and desire, over shallow athleticism any day.
4 Pointer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject:

Well, the athleticism has certainly changed. Watch a full Jordan game from the 80's. MJ rarely had comparable athletes, someone who was somewhat comparable was already on his team in Pippen. You don't see Craig Ehlos running around much now, but the argument that there has been an increase of Chris Andersens and Stromile Swifts is certainly valid.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
TheQuestForSeventeen wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:
bambam wrote:
streetball is a joke.

Yeah right...if that's true then what does that make players like Sasha and Luke?

Believe it or not, it's possible for both Streetball and guys like Sasha & Luke to be jokes.

99.99% of streetball is an absolute snoozefest to anyone that understands basketball.

The best combination of streetball style and NBA effectiveness ever, IMO, was Magic.

LOL 99.99% huh how the (bleep) did you come up with that statistic.

It's a figure of speech. I can't believe that has to be spelled out. Wow.
unggoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject:

superboy wrote:

Streetball is totally and utterly stupid.
Streetball is like anything else that looks good to the uneducated, but in reality has no substance to it.

In fact, I cannot believe this is even in question. Nothing would be funnier than seeing the junior high kids making the street baller kids look foolish. I mean, you know, not that it would be cool to make little kids feel foolish, but isn't part of the point in street ball?
jaidai
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject:

I really like street ball, but then I really like nba play as well. I think smush will end up being an excellent crowd pleaSer Once he learns NBA play. That streetball slam he did early in the Utah game was nice and definetly helped the team with momentum, but the missed streetball slam in the final minutes of the Atlanta game was dumb. There is a place for both. If he and Skip learn the NBA game, they will be 2 of most exciting AND successful players in the League.

The league definetely need to get rid of the hanging on rim foul. that is rediculous...

I know a lot of yall don't agree, but that's my two cents....

http://www.hierosites.com
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: