Shelburne article with quotes from Magic about LaVar Ball
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Shelburne article with quotes from Magic about LaVar Ball

This article is about the Lakers and the Balls, Magic talks about why he didn’t respond initially to LaVar’s criticism of Luke Walton, his support for Luke and how Magic doesn’t regret taking Lonzo No. 2 overall. This is a long article but I will just post some quotes by Magic. Good read.

With or without the Ball family, the Lakers are finding themselves

Quote:
"What I'm gonna worry about is these 15 guys and the direction that we're heading in," Johnson says. "That's what I've been worried about from day one, and that's what I'm gonna continue to worry about."

Quote:
"I got a special relationship with LaVar," Johnson says. "I think he understands ... I just want the best for him. For his son. I told him, 'I've been down this road that your son is about to go down, so you got the best person sitting here. So what I need you to do is just worry about the business side. Let me take care of the basketball side.'"

Quote:
"Look, we had lost nine in a row and you didn't hear nothing from me, right? I was supporting Luke through all nine in a row," Johnson says. "So now, LaVar comes out and says something, and everybody asks, 'Why didn't you say nothing?'

"I'm not gonna respond to people saying different things. [Walton] already had my vote of confidence. There's never been a question about his job security here. But everybody else was trying to make a big deal out of it. I was good with Luke, I was good with Jeanie. So I said we should do nothing because if we react to this, now any time somebody says something about the Lakers, we gotta react.

"We know what we have, we know who we are. And the team responded, and we're better. So I'm happy we just didn't jump out there."

Quote:
Was it worth it to draft Lonzo Ball, knowing all the drama his father has brought with him?

Johnson said he has no regrets.

"No, not for one minute," he says. "He's everything we thought he would be and more. And I'm talking about Lonzo."

As for LaVar?

As the LLC name suggests, Family Always Matters.

"He's marketing their business, so, hat's off to him. Keep doing it," Johnson says. "Just make sure that you allow your son to grow and us to go through our lumps and our bruises like we're going through, and things are gonna work out. Things are gonna work out for the Lakers and for Lonzo."

epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject:

Thanks.
Good quotes.
ThreePointBomber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject:

Only idiots are worried about Lavar Ball.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject:

Thank you
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject:

Magic wants to raise Lonzo's trade value
jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject:

Magic sounds intelligent
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject:

This has been a wakeup call for everyone involved. Lakers realizing they can't muzzle LaVar and control his outbursts like they thought they would. Meanwhile, LaVar realizing he's not in Chino Hills anymore and doesn't really have any pull or sway in regard to decision making, so his actions will get progressively more outlandish.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
This has been a wakeup call for everyone involved. Lakers realizing they can't muzzle LaVar and control his outbursts like they thought they would. Meanwhile, LaVar realizing he's not in Chino Hills anymore and doesn't really have any pull or sway in regard to decision making, so his actions will get progressively more outlandish.

To that point, this article was to be expected from a Ramona or Woj after LaVar’s ultimatum that Lonzo would sign with the team that took the other two brothers.

We knew the pushback/message sending from the Lakers was coming...and tbh if someone like AD is available, I do think Magic/Pelinka would entertain the idea of shipping Lonzo out. I don’t think they are in the “get rid of him” stage I bet they are talking of possibilities if AD scenario opens up...
RusselDoeee01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject:

Honestly I like Lonzo's game but if we would be able to dump Deng and maybe get a lotto pick or a solid veteran core i would be all for trading him.

IMO i would rather keep Randle than Lonzo..

Side note: There is no way in hell the other two kids will play for the Lakers.. The young one has potential but he has been spoon fed and will get eaten alive at the college level, let alone Pro. And the middle brother.. Ya not happening. These guys they play against in Lithuania look like the talent at my local Lifetime League

Last edited by RusselDoeee01 on Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Janggoon8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject:

If the right offer was to present itself, Zo can be expendable. Lavar better stay in his lane.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject:

Good grief. The only reason to trade Lonzo is if he regresses or doesn't play well on the basketball floor. This Lavar nonsense has NOTHING to do with whether or not we should hang on to Lonzo Ball.

BTW - anyone see the article where Lavar is starting to walk back his 'ultimatum' crap? He's a bag of hot air.

Magic doesn't want to give the TMZ and Yahoo Glamor crowd any fodder by responding to Lavar. I don't blame him. Lonzo follows suit, likely per Magic's advice, whether armchair fans like it or not.

Lonzo's already a very good player, even better than expected for a rookie year kid who just turned 20. We aren't trading him, his ceiling is way too high for that, and we sure as hell aren't trading him because soap opera fans get caught up in what Lavar has to say.
SDLakersFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject:

That last quote was damn good. I just hope Lavar can accept that and maybe shut up about Lakers personnel

RusselDoeee01 wrote:
Honestly I like Lonzo's game but if we would be able to dump Deng and maybe get a lotto pick or a solid veteran core i would be all for trading him.

Dude no.

We can't keep trading away all our lottery picks to shed salary. We got rid of Mozgov (personally, I think we should've pushed to make it DLO+Deng instead) - that's good enough for now.

If we trade away Ball then we're left with Kuzma, Hart, Randle & Ingram (who I'm not sold on). We need to develop our youngins.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Good grief. The only reason to trade Lonzo is if he regresses or doesn't play well on the basketball floor. This Lavar nonsense has NOTHING to do with whether or not we should hang on to Lonzo Ball.

BTW - anyone see the article where Lavar is starting to walk back his 'ultimatum' crap? He's a bag of hot air.

Magic doesn't want to give the TMZ and Yahoo Glamor crowd any fodder by responding to Lavar. I don't blame him. Lonzo follows suit, likely per Magic's advice, whether armchair fans like it or not.

Lonzo's already a very good player, even better than expected for a rookie year kid who just turned 20. We aren't trading him, his ceiling is way too high for that, and we sure as hell aren't trading him because soap opera fans get caught up in what Lavar has to say.

Haven't seen that, you have a link or point me to the site?
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject:

I find it hard to get too worked up over the guy and anything he might say. Thus far he's got one asset, Lonzo. If he keeps acting like a fool, Lonzo will have tell him to back off, it's that simple.

I doubt LeVar wants to kill his Golden Goose Who bought the $5mil house he lives in? More so, who was he before Lonzo?
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Username wrote:

To that point, this article was to be expected from a Ramona or Woj after LaVar’s ultimatum that Lonzo would sign with the team that took the other two brothers.

We knew the pushback/message sending from the Lakers was coming...and tbh if someone like AD is available, I do think Magic/Pelinka would entertain the idea of shipping Lonzo out. I don’t think they are in the “get rid of him” stage I bet they are talking of possibilities if AD scenario opens up...

You better not trade zo for AD. YOu need Zo and AD.

You guys have to understand something. AD alone could never get the pels into the playoffs. Why is that? we know he missed games due to injury and what not. but we also saw him put up insane numbers while his team lost.

This should tell you something. He needs Help. You dont trade away the help to get him and still be out there looking for help.

You dont even entertain trading Lonzo for anyone out there unless its the greek with no injuries. I would say Kawhi but he now has an injury that could bother him for the remainder of his career(or not..i hope not.)

I'm not trading zo for anyone. if lebron was 27, then yes. by zo.

any of these other stars, they need a ZO and another monster in order to make us contenders. anything less we are just getting rid of one helper for another helper and will still be missing the same amt of top level helpers.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:
I find it hard to get too worked up over the guy and anything he might say. Thus far he's got one asset, Lonzo. If he keeps acting like a fool, Lonzo will have tell him to back off, it's that simple.

I doubt LeVar wants to kill his Golden Goose Who bought the $5mil house he lives in? More so, who was he before Lonzo?
Lonzo wont ever have to tell him anything. its that simple. the moment you guys realize this the better for yalls health. I know it irks most people. but realize it doesnt move the actual reality for the lakers nor for zo. if zo decides to not resign with the lakers when its time due to the lakers not signing his younger bros. so be it. zo will go elsewhere and we will wish him well. end of story.
lavar talking does nothing to the team or for the team. NOTHING.

Fans and the media are more worried about what lavar says than the franchise is or even zo himself.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject:

RusselDoeee01 wrote:

Side note: There is no way in hell the other two kids will play for the Lakers.. The young one has potential but he has been spoon fed and will get eaten alive at the college level, let alone Pro. And the middle brother.. Ya not happening. These guys they play against in Lithuania look like the talent at my local Lifetime League
have you ever played vs professionals from overseas? I'm not talking about the top division. i'm talking about one of these lower levels? I have. and for what its worth, they are still better than your average ball player. They are still better than your average Division one college player(remember there are more than just the dukes and kentucky's in D-1). and for the record d-1 players from very small schools that will never touch the nba are still better than that league you just stated.

lastly. that little brother is still a high school kid playing vs other high school kids making them look silly and those high school kids have been playing pro for longer than he has. in addition they also play grown men too. again, he's a child playing grown men and still looking pretty good. You wish non of the balls could make because you hate the father. i will keep reminding you guys. just because you dont like lavar's mouth wont change the reality of how good his kids are at basketball. and thats all of them. will they make it? depends on health and how hard are they willing to work to advanced their games. we will see.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject:

@splash...I’m not advocating an AD trade because a) I find it hard to believe that he would be available unless it was really that bad in NO and b) the team acquiring him ends up gutting its roster.

Just saying that if AD were to become available, Magic is likely to truly consider it, especially if his direct competition for a trade is the asset loaded rival Celtics. If Magic has had enough of the LaVar, I would not put it past him to offload Lonzo.

It’s still unlikely though, imo, because the perception is Lonzo is Magic’s hand picked franchise player and as such Magic is not going to trade him quickly and have everyone say he failed with that pick.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject:

Probably a message to Lavar.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Amin tells a story of a high profile rookie on another team and his family sitting behind the bench for games and talking (bleep) about his teammates...interesting.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject:

Is there anyway we can trade 3 million dollars and a 2nd rounder to a team so that they draft LiAngelo Ball in the next draft? Maybe he can sell some tickets for them.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
@splash...I’m not advocating an AD trade because a) I find it hard to believe that he would be available unless it was really that bad in NO and b) the team acquiring him ends up gutting its roster.

Just saying that if AD were to become available, Magic is likely to truly consider it, especially if his direct competition for a trade is the asset loaded rival Celtics. If Magic has had enough of the LaVar, I would not put it past him to offload Lonzo.

It’s still unlikely though, imo, because the perception is Lonzo is Magic’s hand picked franchise player and as such Magic is not going to trade him quickly and have everyone say he failed with that pick.

that large font is the reason you're making this post. because you THINK maybe magic will have enough of lavar. and I'm telling you as well as magic has told you We dont really care about what lavar says. we care about zo. if it aint bothering zo. it aint bother us.

Its only bothering fans and the media.

He's not trading zo because he's sick of lavar. if he trades zo is because he thinks there's something better out there to be had. i'm not talking about the guy he's trading him for if he got ad back. i mean if the guy replacing zo at pg/sg is better than zo also. so in that regard. you do that trade.
its similar to the nixed deal setup.

if you already know you have dwight coming behind your cp3 deal. you go ahead and get rid of bynum. because you already know that cp3 deal is in the mix and the other guy is next. so if by some chance we gave the pels zo for AD. best believe magic and rob will have a better zo replacement in the wings. otherwise you keep zo and give up some other guys for AD.

Truth is. I need Zo, Kuz, randle, and BI playing with AD. not because i dont want to give up my youth. its because thats the level of talent AD needs around him to win. he needs other scorers, other shooters, other facilitators, other defenders, a PF next to him that can bang(JR) but also athletic and quick enough/strong enough to switch onto AD's man if thats what the defense called for at the moment.

Do you know how deadly a combination of

pg-Zo
sg-Ingram
sf-Kuzma
PF-randle
C- AD

kuzma would guard the weaklst offensive player on the other team.

but if zo continues to improve his jumper and so does ingram. thats enough shooting to make that entire squad stretch a team out so they can all work their man over, one v one.

defensively, the length, and quickness is incredible. you would have a hard time scoring on that lineup, and once you missed you would have an even harder time rebounding the ball.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
Is there anyway we can trade 3 million dollars and a 2nd rounder to a team so that they draft LiAngelo Ball in the next draft? Maybe he can sell some tickets for them.
so are you saying if gelo was actually worthy of an NBA spot. you would be willing to pay someone to take him so we couldnt? not smart at all. thats called thinking with your emotions. come on laker fans. winning above all. if the entire ball trio is the making of yet another dynasty for the lakers. come on ball bros. if not. no thank you ball bros. its real simple laker fans. real simple. notice i didnt mention lavar when talking about laker assets. because lavar doesnt matter. This aint college where you can pull your son or daughter out of the school if you dont like the way things are going.
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject:

RusselDoeee01 wrote:

Laughable.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Magic knew what he was in for...he can and will handle it...case closed for me
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: