Vote: Who deserves MOST of the blame for the Lakers fall from glory?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who deserves MOST of the blame for the Lakers fall from Champion and or Championship Contender to Lottery Team and or .500 Ball Club?
Jerry Buss
15%
 15%  [ 18 ]
Jim Buss
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Mitch Kupchak
32%
 32%  [ 38 ]
Phil Jackson
7%
 7%  [ 9 ]
Kobe Bryant
5%
 5%  [ 6 ]
Shaquille O'Neal
36%
 36%  [ 42 ]
Total Votes : 116

iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Vote: Who deserves MOST of the blame for the Lakers fall from glory?

Everyone on the radio today was blaming someone for the Lakers fall from glory. Who do you blame?

Vote: Who deserves MOST of the blame for the Lakers fall from Champion and or Championship Contender to Lottery Team and or .500 Ball Club?
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject:

There's a lot of blame to go around. Phil, Kobe and Shaq all failed to keep a championship team together. Mitch had to trade Shaq, but he should should have gotten more!
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Vlade wrote:
There's a lot of blame to go around. Phil, Kobe and Shaq all failed to keep a championship team together. Mitch had to trade Shaq, but he should should have gotten more!

Yeah, this is tough to just pick one. But at the end of the day, the buck stops with the owner - it pains me, but I've got to go with the good doctor.
Smel Counts
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject:

Buss did his job by shelling out the $ for Phil. Phil was hired to keep Shat in line and instead he gave the Big Fatty the keys to the kingdom while he was screwing the bosses daughter and believing his press clippings.
IMO .51% Phil and .49% Shat.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject:

It has to be the GM. What makes Great GM's is there ability to communicate with players on NON_BASKETBALL issues. West was a master at that. Trading Shaq if it was in fact necessary was a ridiculous exchange of talent. Not that you get Shaq back but he gathered possibly the worst cast of players to surround Kobe.

Vision Kup does not appear to have one. Maybe he does, but today, Nada.
Foolish maybe but the thought of Jim Buss running things doesnt seem so bad. IN LA is kind of known as a STAR F%$^#r (not literally). He likes stars. thats not such a bad thing. if hes willing to gather the names Im sure PJ wouldnt mind coaching them

Last edited by bounty on Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject:

I Blame that guy who sits in section 102 seat #41. That guy was always in the ear of all the players and they always seemed to respond to him. Every since he croaked, the Lakers haven't been the same. Well in that case I suppose an equal blame goes to his doctor since he didn't catch the cancer in time. But before I can blame the doctor I guess I have to blame his professors since they didn't teach him better. Then again I guess his elementary and high school teachers have to share blame too, since if they'd prepared him better then he would have gotten into a better college with better profs. But ultimately I guess that's his parents fault, because if they would have had better genes then they would have produced a smarter and more resilient kid. Hmmmm but then shouldn't the grandparents have to share in the blame? They are the ones who let his parents get together in the first place and they should have known they'd produce a dumb kid. Maybe if the gardener had been smarter it might have rubbed off. And let's not forget Suzie at the grocery store. If she hadn't been so cute then maybe he would have studied more. Ahhh...I've got it. It's the bartender down at Dukes. That bastard should have never served him a drop. Maybe Mr. Whipple s the deveil after all. Maybe soft toilet paper softens a man up too much. Yeah...It's definitely Mr. Whipple. I blame Mr, Whipple, Colonel Sanders, Osama, and the tooth fairy for not keeping up with inflation.....
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Obviously, all of them were at fault to some degree. However, after hearing everyone's opinion on the radio today and they were all across the board, I was curious who everyone thought deserved the MOST blame.

Personally, I think Jerry Buss deserves the MOST blame since the buck starts and stops with him. Jerry Buss approves all moves once Mitch or (now) Jim brings him a move to approve.

If Riley was able to work out a reasonable contract with Shaq, there is no reason Jerry could not have done the same or better. That was the first domino to fall.
Serious NBA Fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject:

I think the poll has it about right. First Buss, then Shaq.

Mitch is just a little pawn
LakerFan4L
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Phil Jackson, PERIOD.

He sat back and did a damn diary about the Fab 4 team, instead of taking control of what was a tense locker room. He gave way too much freedom to Kobe and Shaq and simply let these guys lose respect for one another. There are plenty of teammates in the league who do not like each other.. but I guarantee you they respect one another. Once that respect is lost, the relationship is down the gutter.[/b]
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject:

iml84myd8s wrote:

If Riley was able to work out a reasonable contract with Shaq, there is no reason Jerry could not have done the same or better. That was the first domino to fall.

5 years and $100million for a degrading aging center is reasonable??????
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
pawn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Serious NBA Fan wrote:
Mitch is just a little pawn

Like hell I am!!!! err.. sorry nevermind. :roll:
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
iml84myd8s wrote:

Compare the two.

Shaq opted out of his final year worth $30 million.
Shaq with the Heat
30 + 20 + 20 + 20 + 20 +20 = $130 for 6 years

Buss offered a three year - $60 million extension
Shaq with the Lakers
30 + 30 + 20 + 20 + 20 = $120 for 5 years

Jerry Buss wasn’t that far off, if he was more willing to work it out. Jerry and Shaq were both too stubborn. However, Shaq is now playing for a team that contends for the finals. Jerry is watching his team struggle just to make the playoffs.

Therefore, the Lakers would be better off with an aging Shaq than this current roster. The Lakers went from playing in the Finals to the Lottery.

Because of this, I’ve built hatred towards Shaq. Yet, I still support Jerry Buss for his continued loyalty for the Lakers. However, it doesn’t dismiss the miscalculations or ramifications.

Therefore, I give MOST of the blame to Jerry Buss with Shaq coming in a close second and Phil a very close third. After all, who writes a book about his observations of his team falling apart as he coaches them?

Kobe comes in fourth since he was very much an egomaniac like Shaq. Mitch comes in a distant fifth since he probably has less say than any of the others involved. Jim comes in last since he did not seem to be at the forefront at that time.

Last edited by iml84myd8s on Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject:

This is a no-brainer. Everyone knows it was both Shaq AND Kobe's fault. Do you really think that if they just got along that we would be where we are at now?

:roll:
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject:

iml84myd8s wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
iml84myd8s wrote:

Compare the two.

Shaq opted out of his final year worth $30 million.
Shaq with the Heat
30 + 20 + 20 + 20 + 20 +20 = $130 for 6 years

Buss offered a three year - $60 million extension
Shaq with the Lakers
30 + 30 + 20 + 20 + 20 = $120 for 5 years

Jerry Buss wasn’t that far off, if he was more willing to work it out. Jerry and Shaq were both too stubborn. However, Shaq is now playing for a team that contends for the finals. Jerry is watching his team struggle just to make the playoffs.

Therefore, the Lakers would be better off with an aging Shaq than this current roster. The Lakers went from playing in the Finals to fallen into the Lottery.

Because of this, I’ve built hatred towards Shaq. Yet, I still support Jerry Buss for his continued loyalty for the Lakers. However, it doesn’t dismiss the miscalculations or ramifications.

Therefore, I give MOST of the blame to Jerry Buss with Shaq coming in a close second and Phil a very close third. After all, who writes a book about his observations of his team falling apart as he coaches them?

Kobe comes in fourth since he was very much an egomaniac like Shaq. Mitch comes in a distant fifth since he probably has less say than any of the others involved. Jim comes in last since he did not seem to be at the forefront at that time.

First, no argument with the order of your assessed blame. But second, just who did you envision playing with Shaq & Kobe. They proved in that final season that they still needed adequate role players. They could not get it done with Malone, Payton, and D Fish. Some argument can be made that Malone would have given it a shot at another season, but just that - one season. Giving Shaq that money means there was no way they could pickup any other player of consequence and this was just right after they proved they could not do it with a HOF roster.

I definitely agree that they would be a better team right now with with Shaq still around, but not contenders. Since 2003, we could see the cupboard getting bare and as soon as it came time to resign players they would lose them one by one and not be able to reload with any decent talent. So the 2005/2006 record would be better with Shaq, but the playoff outlook would be much the same. It's going to be extrememly surprising if Miami can come anywhere close to challenging Detroit in the eastern conference finals this season, and the coming seasons only sees' them getting farther away from the mark. This is the same situation that would have faced the Lakers, only with the added fact that Phil was done coaching Shaq and Kobe together, and Kobe would have been challenging for a championship in a Clipper uniform....
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Vlade wrote:

Hell yeah he should have gotten more. I'm thinking LO and D Wade. To hell with Caron and Grant. Word has it that L.A. wanted Wade, but all talks fell through when they mentioned his name. Mitch and Dr. Buss settled for less than what they could have got. Damn shame too.

By the way, how would that have been for a 2nd option next to Kobe? Let that marinade in your minds a bit.
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
First, no argument with the order of your assessed blame. But second, just who did you envision playing with Shaq & Kobe. They proved in that final season that they still needed adequate role players. They could not get it done with Malone, Payton, and D Fish. Some argument can be made that Malone would have given it a shot at another season, but just that - one season. Giving Shaq that money means there was no way they could pickup any other player of consequence and this was just right after they proved they could not do it with a HOF roster.

I definitely agree that they would be a better team right now with with Shaq still around, but not contenders. Since 2003, we could see the cupboard getting bare and as soon as it came time to resign players they would lose them one by one and not be able to reload with any decent talent. So the 2005/2006 record would be better with Shaq, but the playoff outlook would be much the same. It's going to be extrememly surprising if Miami can come anywhere close to challenging Detroit in the eastern conference finals this season, and the coming seasons only sees' them getting farther away from the mark. This is the same situation that would have faced the Lakers, only with the added fact that Phil was done coaching Shaq and Kobe together, and Kobe would have been challenging for a championship in a Clipper uniform....

I don't want to get off the subject at hand. However, as long as the NBA has a soft salary cap, there are always players that the Lakers can add. The Lakers and Knicks make enough money they can afford to pay the luxury taxes and still made a fortune. Let's not forget the Lakers franchise is worth more than $500 million and they make money every year.

If the Lakers had Shaq and Kobe, they would not have any problems attracting free agents and they could afford to pay the luxury taxes to get those players. This applies with the current roster. If the Lakers wanted to put better players around Kobe so he can compete for championships and not just the 8th seed of the playoffs, the Lakers could add those players and pay the luxury taxes.

If a small market like the Pacers can do it, the f'n Lakers definitely can do it!
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject:

iml84myd8s wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

I don't want to get off the subject at hand. However, as long as the NBA has a soft salary cap, there are always players that the Lakers can add. The Lakers and Knicks make enough money they can afford to pay the luxury taxes and still made a fortune. Let's not forget the Lakers franchise is worth more than $500 million and they make money every year.

If the Lakers had Shaq and Kobe, they would not have any problems attracting free agents and they could afford to pay the luxury taxes to get those players. This applies with the current roster. If the Lakers wanted to put better players around Kobe so he can compete for championships and not just the 8th seed of the playoffs, the Lakers could add those players and pay the luxury taxes.

If a small market like the Pacers can do it, the f'n Lakers definitely can do it!

I don't think Dr. Buss agrees. He does just about everything possible to not pay the luxury tax. The guy is a bit miserly, but smart... He didn't pay for Free agents during the early championship runs. Nothing makes me believe he would all of sudden change directions and do something that's not in character for him...
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Vote: Who deserves MOST of the blame for the Lakers fall from glory?

iml84myd8s wrote:
Everyone on the radio today was blaming someone for the Lakers fall from glory. Who do you blame?

Vote: Who deserves MOST of the blame for the Lakers fall from Champion and or Championship Contender to Lottery Team and or .500 Ball Club?

you are missing the winning choice. Their isn't a person to blame. Its WINNING 3 Rings in a row with a groupd of vets. thats what you blame this losing on. If we would've had younger players that would've won those 3 rings. we would still be winning rings to this day. but since that wasn't the case. we were bound to get caught in a tight situation, especially using the tri offense. you cant just get any ole youngsta to come in and know the tri and make Tri type smart decisions. Lets remember the Boston Celts. all those Vets, all those Rings. all that losing from that point on for the most part. now granted they had some tough luck with a few star players literally dying on them. but you get the point.

Look at Chicago Bulls. a bunch of vets winning rings. call it the day. Look at Utah with all that winning(no ring), and vets call it, been losing ever since. Detroit with I.thomas, Joe Dumars, etc, called it, and just now got back to glory. San An, have not really been that close since forever, then got a nice group of young guys together with the vets, and stole one in a shorten season, and has got a few more here and there because of the Youth they originally won with is still youth, and not old men.

Dallas aint never won a thing. thats why they will always be in the hunt. you keep changing pieces until you get one. not keep the same guys until they age.

Knicks aint won a ring but they were winners. all the vets called it quits and look at the Knicks now.

Indiana has been almost there a few times, but has been hovering around. keep changing pieces. so when your vets go you have youth to keep trying to win that 1 title.

see the pattern. people who win multiple titles with a Vet group. you keep the group together until the wheels fall off. and once they do. you need a brand new car. well you got to save up for a spankin new ride. thats just how it goes.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Vote: Who deserves MOST of the blame for the Lakers fall from glory?

postandpivot wrote:
iml84myd8s wrote:

you are missing the winning choice. Their isn't a person to blame. Its WINNING 3 Rings in a row with a groupd of vets. thats what you blame this losing on. If we would've had younger players that would've won those 3 rings. we would still be winning rings to this day. but since that wasn't the case. we were bound to get caught in a tight situation, especially using the tri offense. you cant just get any ole youngsta to come in and know the tri and make Tri type smart decisions. Lets remember the Boston Celts. all those Vets, all those Rings. all that losing from that point on for the most part. now granted they had some tough luck with a few star players literally dying on them. but you get the point.

Look at Chicago Bulls. a bunch of vets winning rings. call it the day. Look at Utah with all that winning(no ring), and vets call it, been losing ever since. Detroit with I.thomas, Joe Dumars, etc, called it, and just now got back to glory. San An, have not really been that close since forever, then got a nice group of young guys together with the vets, and stole one in a shorten season, and has got a few more here and there because of the Youth they originally won with is still youth, and not old men.

Dallas aint never won a thing. thats why they will always be in the hunt. you keep changing pieces until you get one. not keep the same guys until they age.

Knicks aint won a ring but they were winners. all the vets called it quits and look at the Knicks now.

Indiana has been almost there a few times, but has been hovering around. keep changing pieces. so when your vets go you have youth to keep trying to win that 1 title.

see the pattern. people who win multiple titles with a Vet group. you keep the group together until the wheels fall off. and once they do. you need a brand new car. well you got to save up for a spankin new ride. thats just how it goes.

Ain't that the truth!
Lionel The Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject:

Who voted for Kobe?
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
iml84myd8s wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

I don't think Dr. Buss agrees. He does just about everything possible to not pay the luxury tax. The guy is a bit miserly, but smart... He didn't pay for Free agents during the early championship runs. Nothing makes me believe he would all of sudden change directions and do something that's not in character for him...

This is definitely true - that was obviously the main (only?) motivation behind waiving Grant. I would have preferred to keep him and try to get something in a S&T - Buss looked at his bottom line.

It's also worth noting that the team's salary this year is over $72 million (Kobe only accounts for $16m of it) - the problem is that it includes a bunch of "dead" money. And it's not a one year phenomenon -

As to the earlier point about Shaq & Kobe, I do think they would've helped attract the "best" options for the MLE every year. Alast, they didn't want to play with one another any more . . .

I just wish Kobe had not demanded to see Shaq off the roster prior to signing his extension - that really compromised Mitch's ability to get a better package (players, draft picks, CAP ROOM). In hindsight, Kobe would likely agree.
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject:

This is stupid. Every team falls from glory. There is no one to blame.

When a team loses one of the greatest players of all time, (Shaq) you can't expect the team to stay on top.

Get it through your heads. We didn't fall from glory because of team mistakes. We fell from glory because our team was old.

We are rebuilding. Get over it. Making quick fixes to make us a 5 seed instead of a 8 seed and ruining our chances of our solid future is stupid.
That's what stupid GM do. They just make quick fixes, and don't have the patience for the real deal.

Now I'm sure if something comes along that could really put us over the top, Mitch will do it. But those chances are slim that something will come up. But until then, lets be happy that we have a GM that has the balls to make a plan and stick to it.
lakersfan4life69
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers are where they are because of one man, Mitch Kupchak. Plain and simple. I have no clue why one would argue otherwise. In almost two years, we have Lamar Odom, Kwame Brown and no cap space for at least two more years to show for Shaquille O'neal. I'd rather have the cap space and no players. Whatever. Then the clown goes out and signs Vlade Divac/Aaron McKie in two respective summers with the MLE. Wouldn't surprise me of Mitchell signed Anfernee Hardaway or Alan Houston this summer. Last, he drafts players like Andrew Bynum, Sasha Vujacic, and Von Wafer who are years away from being contributory. If he could, he'd pick a 15 year old this spring. When you add those things up, is it a shock that this team is 60-74 over the last two years? Think about that, 60-74.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject:

A combination of all of the above. Shaq AND kobe not getting along(not just a one way street here), Phil's poor coaching at times, and Mitch's lack of moves to help improve the team(except in 04).
Money$hot!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject:

The blame for any organization's success or lack of falls on it's leadership. For the Lakers it is and can only be Dr. Jerry Buss. If you're employees are pending an implosion you address the issue early and often till it's fixed. If executive or middle management is proving inept you replace them. Dr. Buss made the decision to allow Kobe/Shaq to get out of hand, to let West go, to allow Phil to press the Kobe/Shaq issue and pressure West in a way that made him want out which inevitably led to Mitch and his numbskull son taking the reigns before they were ready. Dr. Buss is a marketer and a gambler... make the right move and you're a hero, the wrong and your busted. In this case the Laker organization is in shambles from top to bottom and it's Dr. Buss who allowed the situation to become what it has. He needs to step in and fix it.

Last edited by Money$hot! on Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: