What If LeBron James or Paul George Says No to LA Lakers This Offseason?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: What If LeBron James or Paul George Says No to LA Lakers This Offseason?

Hey all,

Here's my latest at Bleacher Report:

What If LeBron James or Paul George Says No to LA Lakers This Offseason?
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2759327-what-if-lebron-james-or-paul-george-says-no-to-la-lakers-this-offseason

Cheers,

Eric
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject:

Yeah, I think the road will be long and some fans will inevitably
attack the FO when there is not much you can do if players decide
to re-up with their current teams.

We'll see...
SDLakersFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Well I certainly won't blame our FO. They're clearly doing everything they can to make this happen.

It would just suck knowing we gave up so many pieces in preparation for this summer. But atleast I know it won't be because Jim & Jeanie had another public sibling rivalry and Mitch tried to sell them on the honor of being a Laker.
giordan0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject:

The inevitable pitchforks will be aimed at the FO.

That aside, a renewed investment in the current youth group (do we also need to consider a better training/development staff to complement Luke?).

Eric- Do you think at some point, the Lakers should look at the Spurs model for development. They've really turned some low picks into usable pieces.

Last edited by giordan0 on Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject:

This isn't all bad. Unlike previous, the team isn't all in, they have cleared the cap space and the only casualty was Clarkson and Nance, neither were anything more than role players. The team is playing better last two games aside. Randle is looking like a legit player they could just keep him on. The others will all get better.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject:

Nice job as always Eric! If we do strike out with max FA's, the FO should not be blamed. They have made GREAT moves since they took over. Unlike in years past, it is very difficult to sign another teams pending FA. We will have numerous options available to us in the event we don't sign a max FA. The FO will not panic (unlike our previous FO), and they will adjust. We have a very good young core. We have assets coming our way and the potential to add more in the event we strike out in our FA endeavors.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject:

I would still personally love it if Durant came here but alas, I know it's a pipe dream.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Considering all the moves the Lakers have made which is basically banking on landing a max free agent this off-season, there's no backtracking off the original statement.

Considering all the moves the Lakers have made, and uneccesary moves they've made for sake of "Cap space" and getting "two max contracts"..

if the Lakers don't get a max contract guy this off-season(that means LeBron, George, Cousins)

Then the off-season is a failure and it's a bad start for the new FO.

If they willingly ignored the last 5 off-seasons where the same plan didn't work, and fired the previous FO when THEY realized that they had to go away from that plan and then they went back to it when the new FO was brought in..

Then IF THEY FAIL this off-season, if they whiff on free agency. Then the off-season is a failure and a lot of the seasonal decisions they made were for naught. And the FO deserves all the criticism it can handle for it.

Everyone that defended this FO kept saying "wait and see... Magic wouldn't do this unless he was sure! If the Lakers don't sign a max free agent then I'll agree it was a failure, but let's wait and see" had better be sticking to that And not backtracking off it now that it's becoming more and more apparent that it's less and less likely.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject:

No backtracking from me, MJST.

It will be a failure. No excuses.
parsons777
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Two words...Luca Brasi
Arbitrary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject:

parsons777 wrote:
Two words...Luca Brasi

LAL4K3RS
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Well, considering the Lakers helped the Cavs not once but twice by 1) Getting IT away from Lebronze and 2)Giving them not one but two players who are already having a huge impact on that team.

We are not getting Lebronze. I didn't want him anyway but we did the worst possible thing in the world by giving the Cavs exactly what they needed and we got ZERO back in return.

I am hoping we find a way to salvage something out of this but it won't be this summer, it will be 2019 or 2020 and by then, the FO will be gone. The fact that we helped the Cavs out this much is mind boggling.

I was hoping Magic would be a huge ally to the Lakers but he might as well be the GM for the Cavs.
This Laker Organization has not yet hit bottom. It is moving there quickly, and I suspect this year we will see zero talent coming to the Lakers and we will trade away Kuz and BI for old vets in the hopes of giving LeBronze some scapegoats.
Trevacious2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject:

cthroatgtr wrote:
This isn't all bad. Unlike previous, the team isn't all in, they have cleared the cap space and the only casualty was Clarkson and Nance, neither were anything more than role players.

Nance being a most CRUCIAL role player. Now he’s off being most crucial for somebody else with his intangibles, and it hurts because he’s still OUR most crucial until the team can rally to show me otherwise.

Before the trade, I was growing confident of seeing the Lakers back in the playoffs THIS season.
Lakers4Life33
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject:

Nah
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject:

I would be extremely happy if Lebron doesn't come. He is not a Laker. He's an opportunist.
RhodyRay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:31 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Considering all the moves the Lakers have made which is basically banking on landing a max free agent this off-season, there's no backtracking off the original statement.

Considering all the moves the Lakers have made, and uneccesary moves they've made for sake of "Cap space" and getting "two max contracts"..

if the Lakers don't get a max contract guy this off-season(that means LeBron, George, Cousins)

If they willingly ignored the last 5 off-seasons where the same plan didn't work, and fired the previous FO when THEY realized that they had to go away from that plan and then they went back to it when the new FO was brought in..

Then IF THEY FAIL this off-season, if they whiff on free agency. Then the off-season is a failure and a lot of the seasonal decisions they made were for naught. And the FO deserves all the criticism it can handle for it.

Everyone that defended this FO kept saying "wait and see... Magic wouldn't do this unless he was sure! If the Lakers don't sign a max free agent then I'll agree it was a failure, but let's wait and see" had better be sticking to that And not backtracking off it now that it's becoming more and more apparent that it's less and less likely.

And Plan B is?

If Jerry Buss was alive today he would do exactly what the Lakers are trying to do now..swing for the fences! The Lakers NEVER play it safe, they are always "ALL IN." That is the Laker way. Sometime it works (Shaq, Kobe) sometimes it doesn't (Nash). The Lakers should NEVER stop trying to go all in. I don't care if the Lakers don't get any FAs this summer as long as I know they are TRYING.

The Lakers could have kept all our players Nance, Clarkson, DLo (and be still stuck with Moz), but what does all that get us now or down the road? Back in the day the Lakers had some pretty good players but they had to move them to get guys like Shaq and Kobe. It was a lot easier then than today-but the concept was still the same, don't be afraid to go all in. The Lakers gambled than and they have been gambling ever since....16 banners and counting.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject:

I’ll be honest. If Pg13 doesn’t come I will be very disappointed. Have waited on him for several seasons.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject:

If we can't get 2 max FAs, this front office is a failure. We would've trade young and cheap talent for nothing.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject:

RhodyRay wrote:
MJST wrote:

And Plan B is?

If Jerry Buss was alive today he would do exactly what the Lakers are trying to do now..swing for the fences! The Lakers NEVER play it safe, they are always "ALL IN." That is the Laker way. Sometime it works (Shaq, Kobe) sometimes it doesn't (Nash). The Lakers should NEVER stop trying to go all in. I don't care if the Lakers don't get any FAs this summer as long as I know they are TRYING.

The Lakers could have kept all our players Nance, Clarkson, DLo (and be still stuck with Moz), but what does all that get us now or down the road? Back in the day the Lakers had some pretty good players but they had to move them to get guys like Shaq and Kobe. It was a lot easier then than today-but the concept was still the same, don't be afraid to go all in. The Lakers gambled than and they have been gambling ever since....16 banners and counting.

GREAT POST!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject:

RhodyRay wrote:
MJST wrote:

And Plan B is?

The difference was that Shaq was coming, we just needed to outbid Orlando. Now, there is no calvary in February. The plan is a hope and a prayer.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject:

To me, the front office will have done everything they could do. If it doesn't work out, I'll respect it for making the attempt, and roll with the next plan. Losing DLO, Clarkson, and Nance to make an attempt for a superstar, is the kind of high-stakes poker you want a franchise like the Lakers to take.

My hope also is that PG13 will come, and if what we mostly do is sign PG13 and re-sign Randle, we will be a better team. I'd rather have a front office trying to get the team back into the playoffs and being a major power, than accepting status quo and praying every year for lottery picks. We lost some talented guys, but its the price you pay for trying to climb the ladder.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject:

Emplay ... Great post, I agree with 100% of it!

The main point is that the Lakers NOW have options, no matter who decides to sign here and when, having cap space is POWER!

There is not much talk about what to do with the Center position, if the Lakers sign two max FA's then of course Lopez is gone (unless he signs for WAY less money), I don't think Zubac is ready for big minutes and a starting position.

If Jodan does NOT opt out, could the Lakers do a sign-n-trade for him with Lopez?

Let's consider the Lakers don't sign PG or Lebron:
And what if the Pelicans also worried about giving Cousins a huge long-term contract?
That could leave the door for the Lakers to "overpay" Cousins for one-year to see how he recovers AND fits-in. While bringing back Randle and IT - on 1 year "big-money" contracts and make then a run at Klay in 2019!
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject:

I think the odds are long for the Lakers to acquire LeBron or Paul George. I think this largely because I think their current clubs will each be far better positioned this Summer to present them with a suitable contract and far better comparative championship-worthy help for the next couple seasons. From this, I'd anticipate our FO to see their best chances to make a talent improvement move for the Lakers in the direction of not wasting time on either guy. Move on conceptually now and be prepared to act decisively in another direction, even if it means no standout rainmaker is coming aboard.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
RhodyRay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
RhodyRay wrote:
MJST wrote:

And Plan B is?

The difference was that Shaq was coming, we just needed to outbid Orlando. Now, there is no calvary in February. The plan is a hope and a prayer.

Not exactly. It was NOT a given that Shaq was coming. The Lakers had to move players just to be in the game to sign Shaq--just like they are doing now. They are shedding players' contracts in order to be in the game to sign a FA or two. Perhaps 2 this year or none. Or 1 this year and one next. Or 2 next year or none. They have options.

Almost NOTHING is guaranteed. It wasn't then and it is not now. One thing that is guaranteed--if you don't get in the game-you don't get to play!

There is never any hope without a vision. The plan is ALWAYS hope and prayer.

That is the LAKER way!
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject:

RhodyRay wrote:
MJST wrote:

And Plan B is?

If Jerry Buss was alive today he would do exactly what the Lakers are trying to do now..swing for the fences! The Lakers NEVER play it safe, they are always "ALL IN."

Then you either don't know how Jerry Buss or Jerry West built teams or... you are just remembering a romanticized version.

The "swing for the fences" of 96 doesn't happen if we hadn't built and developed a young consistent playoff team over the 92-95 seasons.

Again, this 'romanticized version' of events is what's hurting the Lakers.

Some fans just don't understand that the Lakers had to build something that was not going to win a championship BUT was going to make them a consistent playoff team, and then when they were a consistent playoff team they were able to become players in free agency and that is why they even got the attention of Shaq.

THIS generation of Lakers fans seem to believe that the Lakers team was just a 30 win team going nowhere and then just magically landed Shaq in free agency and then it was off to the races!!

No, it wasn't that simple.

Understand we don't get Shaq if we didn't build a playoff team from 92-95 that was a consistent playoff team that peaked at the 2nd round. But it was because of building that team that we got the attention of Shaq.

This whole "LAKERS DON'T HAVE TO BUILD A TEAM THE RIGHT WAY!! ITS CHAMPIONSHIP OR BUST EVERY YEAR AND THEY HAVE TO SWING FOR THE FENCES FOR A QUICK TURNAROUND!"

is such bull[expletive] that never happened.

Believe it or not, there's a process to these things, and some Lakers fans just wanna rush to the Championship roster without trying to even realistically grasp that the Lakers have to build something first and it isn't gonna happen in a single off-season, or even two potentially.

But if the Lakers don't have that consistency, then they're building towards nowhere, and "well next off-season we'll get a max.." will just become another drug to tide them over while they have another failing season and continue to lose young assets for the sake of "cap space".

It's sad to see the franchise heading in that direction. It's even more sad to see fans after 5 off-seasons of failure still buy into that garbage of "SWING FOR THE FENCES!! IT'S THE LAKERS WAY!! NO POINT IN BUILDING A CONSISTENT TEAM IF IT CAN'T CONTEND FOR TITLES RIGHT THEN!!"

RhodyRay wrote:
=
Not exactly. It was NOT a given that Shaq was coming. The Lakers had to move players just to be in the game to sign Shaq--just like they are doing now. They are shedding players' contracts in order to be in the game to sign a FA or two. Perhaps 2 this year or none. Or 1 this year and one next. Or 2 next year or none. They have options.

Almost NOTHING is guaranteed. It wasn't then and it is not now. One thing that is guaranteed--if you don't get in the game-you don't get to play!

There is never any hope without a vision. The plan is ALWAYS hope and prayer.

That is the LAKER way!

And this is what I'm talking about. You are remembering it in a romanticized way.

Why do you think the Lakers even got Shaq's attention?

It's because they'd built a team that could consistently make the playoffs.

The team they had the previous year was just 4 wins removed from the same record as the Magic.

They'd established themselves as a consistent playoff team.

Those things are all a factor.

Yes the NVE and Eddie Jones Lakers weren't ever going to contend for a title, but it's because of that team and the success they DID have, that Shaq paid attention to them.

If you want to REALISTICALLY try to use Shaq as a comparison to a Paul George or LeBron James.

That would have to entail the Lakers making the playoffs for two seasons in a row and/or being within 4-5 wins of Cleveland or OKC.

If those things don't happen, you can't use Shaq as a comparison. Because his situation was based upon as much our winning and where we were headed as anything else.

If you think Shaq would have come here if the Lakers had missed the playoffs for 5 seasons in a row and had only mustered around 30ish wins that previous season, then I've got some bad news.

I also find it interesting how if one tries to create a roster for the Lakers going forward as a consistent playoff team, even with no superstar, that some fans get so wrapped up in the contracts and have a "Well if we do that we'll be stuck that way forever! We can't do that it's not the Lakers way! We'll never contend with that lineup!!"

But they always reach for Shaq and want to bring up how we shed salary in order to make the room to sign him.

But make a roster that's maybe 3-4M off signing a max in the off-season and those same fans lose their minds on it.

To each their own. But I'd personally rather build a team that can consistently make the playoffs for a couple of years as the youngsters continue to grow and then when they can keep making the playoffs THEN assume that we'll be a player in free agency and wait for a commitment from a max player and then shed salary as necessary. Because if the team is making the playoffs they have enough players playing at a high level, both young and veteran that they'd have enough value to shed some salary if necessary to make room for a max free agent that had ALREADY committed.

But you know.. that's just how Jerry would do it. And if social media was like it is now and some Lakers fans had the mentality they had now, they'd be bashing West, calling us a middle of the pack playoff team, and lambasting him for not creating a Championship roster 3 years after Magic's retirement going into the 95-96 off-season.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: