What If LeBron James or Paul George Says No to LA Lakers This Offseason?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:13 am    Post subject:

The FO is doing a great job of giving themselves the ability to go into multiple directions at a moment's notice when a deal needs to be made

The good thing about Dr. Jerry Buss is that he is a great closer! He didn't get the answer he wanted many times, but he did accomplished a lot. Rob provided the opportunities and Magic is the Closer

Jr. and Clarkson are talented and playing in a situation that is better for them - complimentary players to LeBron. What the Lakers are seeking are young players that have the potential to be top tier players.

Lebron and his new Cavs have shown that a team with the right superstar with a cast of excellent complimentary players can achieve a lot - so getting two FA Max players is not a requirement

Lebron and PG13 could very easily be not available. Given how fast things can change, being ready (as listed above) is critical when an opportunity presents itself.

If Lebron only plays for the Lakers for one year, how does this help the Laker brand

Is PG13 the missing pieces to make everything work together in Lakeland - maybe?
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Then you either don't know how Jerry Buss or Jerry West built teams or... you are just remembering a romanticized version.

The "swing for the fences" of 96 doesn't happen if we hadn't built and developed a young consistent playoff team over the 92-95 seasons.

Again, this 'romanticized version' of events is what's hurting the Lakers.

...If you think Shaq would have come here if the Lakers had missed the playoffs for 5 seasons in a row and had only mustered around 30ish wins that previous season, then I've got some bad news.

Considering Shaq was perfectly fine with the Lakers trading NVE and Eddie Jones just a couple years later, and thought Elton Campbell was a bum....yes, I do think Shaq would have signed with the Lakers had they not been a 50-win team the previous year. He was looking to be the wealthiest and most well known athlete on the planet and the Lakers offered that. He'd turn any team into a 50-win team.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject:

The trade of Clarkson and Nance not only create salary space for 2 max, but also playing time for Hart and Randle who both have play extremely well lately. Besides, both Zubac and Bryant also need some playing time.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject:

Unlike recent seasons, this summer looks to be a buyers' market. Even if they strike out on PG13 and LeBron, the Lakers will be positioned to sign other guys to below market deals (such as the contract they probably should have given to IT a few years ago) or offer big 1-year deals like they did with KCP.

It might also make sense to take a run at Deandre if he opts out. This draft is center heavy and other teams with cap space aren't likely to pursue him (Philly has Embiid, there was that whole fiasco with Dallas...) Getting him at less than the max, using the extra room to bring in someone like Tyreke Evans, and still maintaining a max slot for 2019 wouldn't be the worst fallback.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Actually, when you think about it Magic and Pelinka have come in and done an excellent job. They inherited a team second from the bottom in the NBA. With no first round draft choice in 2018 to build upon. And the Mosgov/Deng deals which gave away 160M dollars with no return, but having to put assets to trade them away. This is a huge hole to dig out off.
So they have done a wonderful job so far in positioning the team
to come back.
The drafting of Lonzo, Kuzma, and Hart was great.
And the creation of cap space to be able to attract FAs.
The only concern is that they may try to do too much too fast.
The hole is deep.
It seems the first goal is to make the playoffs. If they do will drink in celebration.
And the second goal is to spend the cap money wisely.
There seems to be no reason to make a bad decision in the thought of having to make a decision. This is the key.
Punt to 2019 or later is not a bad option.
ericp6387
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject:

If LeBron says no:

1. Sign PG
2. Sign DeAndre
3. Re-sign Randle
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject:

ericp6387 wrote:
If LeBron says no:

1. Sign PG
2. Sign DeAndre
3. Re-sign Randle

I don't think DJ/Jules is a good pairing. No shooting.
ericp6387
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ericp6387 wrote:
If LeBron says no:

1. Sign PG
2. Sign DeAndre
3. Re-sign Randle

You can always go small with Kuzma at the PF spot.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject:

ericp6387 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ericp6387 wrote:
If LeBron says no:

1. Sign PG
2. Sign DeAndre
3. Re-sign Randle

But why re-sign Jules/DJ if they can't play many minutes together due to spacing concerns?
ericp6387
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ericp6387 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ericp6387 wrote:
If LeBron says no:

1. Sign PG
2. Sign DeAndre
3. Re-sign Randle

But why re-sign Jules/DJ if they can't play many minutes together due to spacing concerns?

I think they can play together at times. DeAndre can clean up Randle's mess. DeAndre also never wants or needs the ball.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject:

ericp6387 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ericp6387 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ericp6387 wrote:
If LeBron says no:

1. Sign PG
2. Sign DeAndre
3. Re-sign Randle

I think they can play together at times. DeAndre can clean up Randle's mess. DeAndre also never wants or needs the ball.

I'd rather punt that 30m you're offering to DJ. That's not a good long term pairing. Choose one of DJ/Jules. We'd have the worst frontcourt shooting in the NBA, and paying DJ a max from ages 30-34 when he will inevitably lose his athleticism is not good.
ericp6387
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ericp6387 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ericp6387 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ericp6387 wrote:
If LeBron says no:

1. Sign PG
2. Sign DeAndre
3. Re-sign Randle

Tired of punting. And no max for DJ. I'd give him 20-25 million.

I'd rather punt that 30m you're offering to DJ. That's not a good long term pairing. Choose one of DJ/Jules. We'd have the worst frontcourt shooting in the NBA, and paying DJ a max from ages 30-34 when he will inevitably lose his athleticism is not good.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject:

RhodyRay wrote:
MJST wrote:
RhodyRay wrote:
MJST wrote:
Considering all the moves the Lakers have made which is basically banking on landing a max free agent this off-season, there's no backtracking off the original statement.

Considering all the moves the Lakers have made, and uneccesary moves they've made for sake of "Cap space" and getting "two max contracts"..

if the Lakers don't get a max contract guy this off-season(that means LeBron, George, Cousins)

Then the off-season is a failure and it's a bad start for the new FO.

If they willingly ignored the last 5 off-seasons where the same plan didn't work, and fired the previous FO when THEY realized that they had to go away from that plan and then they went back to it when the new FO was brought in..

Then IF THEY FAIL this off-season, if they whiff on free agency. Then the off-season is a failure and a lot of the seasonal decisions they made were for naught. And the FO deserves all the criticism it can handle for it.

Everyone that defended this FO kept saying "wait and see... Magic wouldn't do this unless he was sure! If the Lakers don't sign a max free agent then I'll agree it was a failure, but let's wait and see" had better be sticking to that And not backtracking off it now that it's becoming more and more apparent that it's less and less likely.
And Plan B is?

If Jerry Buss was alive today he would do exactly what the Lakers are trying to do now..swing for the fences! The Lakers NEVER play it safe, they are always "ALL IN."
Then you either don't know how Jerry Buss or Jerry West built teams or... you are just remembering a romanticized version.

The "swing for the fences" of 96 doesn't happen if we hadn't built and developed a young consistent playoff team over the 92-95 seasons.

Again, this 'romanticized version' of events is what's hurting the Lakers.

Some fans just don't understand that the Lakers had to build something that was not going to win a championship BUT was going to make them a consistent playoff team, and then when they were a consistent playoff team they were able to become players in free agency and that is why they even got the attention of Shaq.

THIS generation of Lakers fans seem to believe that the Lakers team was just a 30 win team going nowhere and then just magically landed Shaq in free agency and then it was off to the races!!

No, it wasn't that simple.

Understand we don't get Shaq if we didn't build a playoff team from 92-95 that was a consistent playoff team that peaked at the 2nd round. But it was because of building that team that we got the attention of Shaq.

This whole "LAKERS DON'T HAVE TO BUILD A TEAM THE RIGHT WAY!! ITS CHAMPIONSHIP OR BUST EVERY YEAR AND THEY HAVE TO SWING FOR THE FENCES FOR A QUICK TURNAROUND!"

is such bull[expletive] that never happened.

Believe it or not, there's a process to these things, and some Lakers fans just wanna rush to the Championship roster without trying to even realistically grasp that the Lakers have to build something first and it isn't gonna happen in a single off-season, or even two potentially.

But if the Lakers don't have that consistency, then they're building towards nowhere, and "well next off-season we'll get a max.." will just become another drug to tide them over while they have another failing season and continue to lose young assets for the sake of "cap space".

It's sad to see the franchise heading in that direction. It's even more sad to see fans after 5 off-seasons of failure still buy into that garbage of "SWING FOR THE FENCES!! IT'S THE LAKERS WAY!! NO POINT IN BUILDING A CONSISTENT TEAM IF IT CAN'T CONTEND FOR TITLES RIGHT THEN!!"
RhodyRay wrote:
=
Not exactly. It was NOT a given that Shaq was coming. The Lakers had to move players just to be in the game to sign Shaq--just like they are doing now. They are shedding players' contracts in order to be in the game to sign a FA or two. Perhaps 2 this year or none. Or 1 this year and one next. Or 2 next year or none. They have options.

Almost NOTHING is guaranteed. It wasn't then and it is not now. One thing that is guaranteed--if you don't get in the game-you don't get to play!

There is never any hope without a vision. The plan is ALWAYS hope and prayer.

That is the LAKER way!
And this is what I'm talking about. You are remembering it in a romanticized way.

Why do you think the Lakers even got Shaq's attention?

It's because they'd built a team that could consistently make the playoffs.

The team they had the previous year was just 4 wins removed from the same record as the Magic.

They'd established themselves as a consistent playoff team.

Those things are all a factor.

Yes the NVE and Eddie Jones Lakers weren't ever going to contend for a title, but it's because of that team and the success they DID have, that Shaq paid attention to them.

If you want to REALISTICALLY try to use Shaq as a comparison to a Paul George or LeBron James.

That would have to entail the Lakers making the playoffs for two seasons in a row and/or being within 4-5 wins of Cleveland or OKC.

If those things don't happen, you can't use Shaq as a comparison. Because his situation was based upon as much our winning and where we were headed as anything else.

If you think Shaq would have come here if the Lakers had missed the playoffs for 5 seasons in a row and had only mustered around 30ish wins that previous season, then I've got some bad news.

I also find it interesting how if one tries to create a roster for the Lakers going forward as a consistent playoff team, even with no superstar, that some fans get so wrapped up in the contracts and have a "Well if we do that we'll be stuck that way forever! We can't do that it's not the Lakers way! We'll never contend with that lineup!!"

But they always reach for Shaq and want to bring up how we shed salary in order to make the room to sign him.

But make a roster that's maybe 3-4M off signing a max in the off-season and those same fans lose their minds on it.

To each their own. But I'd personally rather build a team that can consistently make the playoffs for a couple of years as the youngsters continue to grow and then when they can keep making the playoffs THEN assume that we'll be a player in free agency and wait for a commitment from a max player and then shed salary as necessary. Because if the team is making the playoffs they have enough players playing at a high level, both young and veteran that they'd have enough value to shed some salary if necessary to make room for a max free agent that had ALREADY committed.

But you know.. that's just how Jerry would do it. And if social media was like it is now and some Lakers fans had the mentality they had now, they'd be bashing West, calling us a middle of the pack playoff team, and lambasting him for not creating a Championship roster 3 years after Magic's retirement going into the 95-96 off-season.

No romancing of reality at all nor am I new generation Laker fan. My days of being a Laker fan go back to when West and Wilt roamed the court.

No disagreement that it does take time to build a team. I am not a fan that thinks you can build a team overnight. In fact I realize the Lakers may not be a championship caliber team for another 4-5 years. No problem there.

My point of the post is that the Lakers have ALWAYS swung for the fences. The same was true when the Lakers got Shaq. The Magic low-balled Shaq and that left the door open for West to steal him away. The Lakers got Shaq's attention because of the disrespect from Orlando's management and their dumb fans! Shaq wanted to be paid more than Alonzo Mourning's $100+ million contract and the Lakers stepped up to the plate. The Knicks, Pistons, Heat and Hawks were all in the Shaq sweepstakes at the time.

In 96 the Lakers sent out Vlade to obtain Kobe which added an extra 3.3 million in cap space to get Shaq. The Lakers risked their entire summer plans trying to position themselves to get Shaq. Guys like Jordan, Mourning, Mutombo, Reggie Miller, Payton, Rodman, and Dale Davis were all available. Dale Davis was the backup plan to Shaq but he couldn't wait on the Lakers and ended signing with the Pacers. I remember being at Kobe's first summer league game. It was the same day Davis signed with the Pacers. I talked with West that day and he showed NO concern whatsoever that his backup plan went up in smoke. He was confident Shaq was coming-no question! IF this strategy is NOT swinging for the fences, I don't know what is. In one summer the Lakers were able to trade away their starting center to get Kobe and later move other players to obtain enough cap space to sign Shaq.

West sold Shaq on the Laker brand, their history with dominate big men, their winning tradition and the quality of young players that would be around Shaq like Jones, Van Exel, Bryant, Ceballos. Sort of what the Lakers are trying to sell to today's FAs with young players like Ingram, Hart, Kuz, Randle, Ball, and Zubac.

Do the Lakers have to make the playoffs to lure a FA? Maybe, maybe not. It remains to be seen. The Lakers whole rebuild got KILLED when Stern killed the Chris Paul deal. We would have gotten Paul and Howard to team with Kobe and created another potential championship team. We certainly wouldn't have lost Howard for nothing if we also had Paul on deck. But I digress.

I believe in the "make haste slowly" philosophy. I hope the Lakers can add a PG13 to the mix this year and perhaps another FA next year. Or perhaps Boogie depending on how he is recovering. I don't want LeBron on this team. I like that the Lakers are always trying. I was all-in for the Nash trade-but it didn't work out. I can't blame the Lakers for trying. No apologies there. The Lakers might not get any FAs and I am still OK with the trades they made to at least be in the mix to get these players.

The Lakers went 12 years without winning a ring (from1989 until 2000) but then won 3 in a row and dominated for another 10 years. I am looking for the same thing to hopefully happen to them within the next 4-5 years. If it takes getting PG13 and Boogie to do that--it works for me! If we don't get any--I can wait. As long as the Lakers are trying-I am buying.
It has been stated that the Lakers showing in the playoffs (http://www.nba.com/lakers/history/seasonbyseason) that they were a consistent noteworthy (my interpretation of the words being spoken) that attracted.

Having personally lived through those times, Mr. Clutch and their "brand" of having dominant Big Man and providing the opportunities to full exploit their skills in the tradition of Mikan, Wilt and The Cap.

The Lakers, as stated many times, have always swung for the fences - sometimes they win (Shaq/Kobe, Wilt, The Cap) and sometimes they lost (Kobe, Shaw, The Glove, The Mailman / D12, Pau, Nash, Black Mamba)

Sometimes they have to wait and be ready for opportunities (Pau trade)

They made the appropriate decisions to get the needed Cap Space
* Traded DLo, it wasn't going to work with him and Lonzo
* Traded JC and Jr., good role players now playing on a team where their skill set is perfect while the Lakers are looking for superstars

IMHO - "brand" is a factor considered by all parties from FO to players and creates intense pressures with the heights of glory much higher. As the old saying goes, "If I can make it in New York, I can make it anywhere" - the basketball saying is to exchange Lakers for New York. Some players are made for the spotlight, scrutiny, temptations, demands and highs of being a Laker STAR - many examples that can start with players like Glenn Rice.

Could Boogie survive given that he would be the only veteran superstar
(shudder shudder)
Of course Lebron can take the pressure, but if he is only here for one season
PG13 could take the pressure but can he be the main superstar to lead the Lakers - don't know

Maybe the off-season will have the FO getting Marcus Smart (http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2017/10/marcus_smarts_agent_after_bost.html) to preserve cap space if KCP goes elsewhere

Maybe Clint Capela (https://www.chron.com/sports/rockets/article/Rockets-Clint-Capela-to-become-restricted-free-12281440.php) becomes available

Maybe a financial prudent move would be to get a talented big from this list http://hoopshype.com/2018/02/13/nba-free-agency-2018-centers/

Maybe they will use some of their options to obtained a talented rim protecter from college, as noted at https://www.chron.com/sports/rockets/article/Rockets-Clint-Capela-to-become-restricted-free-12281440.php
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ericp6387 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ericp6387 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ericp6387 wrote:
If LeBron says no:

1. Sign PG
2. Sign DeAndre
3. Re-sign Randle

I'd rather punt that 30m you're offering to DJ. That's not a good long term pairing. Choose one of DJ/Jules. We'd have the worst front court shooting in the NBA, and paying DJ a max from ages 30-34 when he will inevitably lose his athleticism is not good.

Two words:

LOB CITY

That was what CP3 and DA had at times with the Clippers, but with Ball's insane passing ability, DA could easily average 20ppg and since Randle can get his own shots, he would hold strong at around 16ppg.

The HUGE thing lacking with the Lakers right now is NO Defensive presence in the middle, oh anyone says we have Lopez... lest I remind you --> Lopez plays "matador defense"...OLe
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ericp6387 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ericp6387 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ericp6387 wrote:
If LeBron says no:

1. Sign PG
2. Sign DeAndre
3. Re-sign Randle

I'd rather punt that 30m you're offering to DJ. That's not a good long term pairing. Choose one of DJ/Jules. We'd have the worst front court shooting in the NBA, and paying DJ a max from ages 30-34 when he will inevitably lose his athleticism is not good.

Two words:

LOB CITY

That was what CP3 and DA had at times with the Clippers, but with Ball's insane passing ability, DA could easily average 20ppg and since Randle can get his own shots, he would hold strong at around 16ppg.

The HUGE thing lacking with the Lakers right now is NO Defensive presence in the middle, oh anyone says we have Lopez... lest I remind you --> Lopez plays "matador defense"...OLe

Lob City at 30m/year (and growing) for a 30 year old?

Look at Dwight and how he's aged, and arguably he has a better offensive game than DJ.

Further, DJ's defensive reputation is a misnomer. He blocks shots but he also isn't the greatest defender via advanced metrics.
cheesehead88
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: One year deals

81 wrote:
Unlike recent seasons, this summer looks to be a buyers' market. Even if they strike out on PG13 and LeBron, the Lakers will be positioned to sign other guys to below market deals (such as the contract they probably should have given to IT a few years ago) or offer big 1-year deals like they did with KCP.

It might also make sense to take a run at Deandre if he opts out. This draft is center heavy and other teams with cap space aren't likely to pursue him (Philly has Embiid, there was that whole fiasco with Dallas...) Getting him at less than the max, using the extra room to bring in someone like Tyreke Evans, and still maintaining a max slot for 2019 wouldn't be the worst fallback.

The length of the deals is key.

All but a few teams are always capped out

That’s why the Deng and Mozgov signings were so crippling

NBA contracts are guaranteed

If they don’t get Lebron or PG13

Just sign one year mega deals like they did with KCP

I would not also mind if they signed Randle to a large KCP type one year deal

It preserves flexibility for when guys like Anthony Davis or Embiid become available when the opt out of their deals into free agency
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: One year deals

cheesehead88 wrote:
81 wrote:

The length of the deals is key.

All but a few teams are always capped out

That’s why the Deng and Mozgov signings were so crippling

NBA contracts are guaranteed

If they don’t get Lebron or PG13

Just sign one year mega deals like they did with KCP

I would not also mind if they signed Randle to a large KCP type one year deal

It preserves flexibility for when guys like Anthony Davis or Embiid become available when the opt out of their deals into free agency

The Jim and Mitch plan. Been there, done that.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ericp6387 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ericp6387 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ericp6387 wrote:
If LeBron says no:

1. Sign PG
2. Sign DeAndre
3. Re-sign Randle

Two words:

LOB CITY

Lob City at 30m/year (and growing) for a 30 year old?

Look at Dwight and how he's aged, and arguably he has a better offensive game than DJ.

Further, DJ's defensive reputation is a misnomer. He blocks shots but he also isn't the greatest defender via advanced metrics.
Imagine the logjam in the paint with Randle and DA both there, that's why Lopez is a better (relatively speaking) "fit"

What happens when the opposition do P&R with DA and force him out in the perimeter?

Luke wants the ability to be able to switch everything during crunch time - does one want a $30+M player on the bench at the end of games
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Something that I like is that right now there are signs that Anthony Davis and Kawhi are unhappy with their current teams. There is still Cousins and guys like D.Jordan. Who else could conceivably come to this team?

If Lebron or George have any desire what so ever to be on the Lakers, they better grab the opportunity before one of these other guys do. Honestly, assuming Kawhi is still 100%, I would love to see him paired with PG here. Lebron end out getting stuck somewhere that he doesn't want to be and we all know how much that would piss him off.

We might be in an even better position to sign these guys than we want to admit. ????? Maybe?????
doc_kb824
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject:

RhodyRay wrote:
MJST wrote:
Considering all the moves the Lakers have made which is basically banking on landing a max free agent this off-season, there's no backtracking off the original statement.

Considering all the moves the Lakers have made, and uneccesary moves they've made for sake of "Cap space" and getting "two max contracts"..

if the Lakers don't get a max contract guy this off-season(that means LeBron, George, Cousins)

Then the off-season is a failure and it's a bad start for the new FO.

If they willingly ignored the last 5 off-seasons where the same plan didn't work, and fired the previous FO when THEY realized that they had to go away from that plan and then they went back to it when the new FO was brought in..

Then IF THEY FAIL this off-season, if they whiff on free agency. Then the off-season is a failure and a lot of the seasonal decisions they made were for naught. And the FO deserves all the criticism it can handle for it.

Everyone that defended this FO kept saying "wait and see... Magic wouldn't do this unless he was sure! If the Lakers don't sign a max free agent then I'll agree it was a failure, but let's wait and see" had better be sticking to that And not backtracking off it now that it's becoming more and more apparent that it's less and less likely.

And Plan B is?

If Jerry Buss was alive today he would do exactly what the Lakers are trying to do now..swing for the fences! The Lakers NEVER play it safe, they are always "ALL IN." That is the Laker way. Sometime it works (Shaq, Kobe) sometimes it doesn't (Nash). The Lakers should NEVER stop trying to go all in. I don't care if the Lakers don't get any FAs this summer as long as I know they are TRYING.

The Lakers could have kept all our players Nance, Clarkson, DLo (and be still stuck with Moz), but what does all that get us now or down the road? Back in the day the Lakers had some pretty good players but they had to move them to get guys like Shaq and Kobe. It was a lot easier then than today-but the concept was still the same, don't be afraid to go all in. The Lakers gambled than and they have been gambling ever since....16 banners and counting.

Yes!!! THANK YOU!!! This right here just got me so amped!! Lol you my friend, should lead us into battle.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject:

For those that may have forgotten...

43-39
39-43
33-49
48-34
53-29

Those were the team's won-loss records, from the 1991-92 through 1995-96 seasons. The FIVE years immediately before the Summer of '96, when we signed Shaq and traded Vlade to get the draft rights to Kobe.

Our roster at the end of the 1995-96 season was:

C- Vlade
PF - Campbell
SF - Ceballos
SG - Jones
PG - Van Exel

This group also enjoyed a brief stint by Magic in a comeback, and reserves like Anthony Peeler, Sedale Threatt, George Lynch, and Corie Blount.

We were 50-win team when we signed Shaq, and we had more than a few decent, reliable players on the team that other teams would actually want and would trade for down the line, including Vlade, Jones, etc.

Rome wasn't built in a day, and even our Lakers didn't just flip a switch and rebuild in 1 or 2 or even 4 or 5 seasons. We went from 1991 to 2000 without sniffing the Finals. And we certainly did NOT sign any superstar free agents while we were stuck in the lottery.

We built the team up with reclamation projects, mid-level starters, and decent drafting until it all came together in 1996 -- 4 years before we got back to the Finals. Despite what some may choose to remember and forget, we did NOT go chasing after 1-year, cap-space saving mercenary players right out of the gate. We valued actual PLAYERS more than CAP SPACE.

Here's hoping Maginka remembers that in case LBJ and PG-13 ultimately decide not to come a-knockin'.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject:

That is what I have been saying, if we don’t sign max star FAs, sign some good players and don’t be afraid to pay a reasonable salary. If a star player is on the market, we would have pieces to trade for him. And if not, the team improves over time until we would be attractive to star FAs.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: