Kobe: If a player needs convincing to play for Lakers, 'he ain't the one'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Daphanabe wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:
I love Kuzma, but no way is he the 10th best frontcourt player in the Western Conference.

That is irrelevant when it comes to fan voting. You know that. Fan voting is all about the size and enthusiasm of the different fan bases. We see this all the time in baseball.

Kuzma became a fan favorite when he got hot early in the season. The Lakers have a large fan base. That got him a bunch of votes. But was he close to be voted as an all star? No. Not in the same zip code.

You can see this in the fact that Kuzma got more votes than Ingram. Ingram is a lot closer to the all star level than Kuzma (which isn't saying much). But Ingram struggled early in the year, Kuzma was hot, and a lot of fans fell in love with Kuzma.

Sure, and that's the point. The Lakers have a large fan base and that can get players some extra All-Star votes. But it's not like that's going to elevate someone like kuzma to an All-Star. He'll come in 10th in the voting instead of 15th, which in the big scheme of things isn't that big of a deal

When the Laker effect can get Kuzma above all the players I listed, you better believe that it will easily get PG13 into the Top3/5. That’s exactly the point many of us have been trying to make.

If George isn’t a top 3/5 player then he won’t be a top 3/5 player no matter where he plays. And he isn’t.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
Unbelievable that people actually try to argue the Lakers brand doesnt matter and that there is no added pressure playing for the Lakers.

The winning standard and legendary players of all time that the Lakers have had places a huge amount of pressure on any star coming here. The fans, media, and former legends are all putting you into the frying pan. Just look at Dwight Howard who left with his tail tucked between his legs. It's complete dishonesty to say that playing for the Lakers isnt more pressure than playing for any other franchise in the NBA.

Ramon Sessions was a good player until the Los Angeles spotlight shone too brightly on him.

He had the best stretch of his career in his short time as a Laker

Couldn't handle it during the playoffs.

That was his first time in the playoffs. (He only made it one more time in his career). So if he felt pressure, it may have simply been from the playoffs, rather than anything to do specifically with the Lakers.
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:

When the Laker effect can get Kuzma above all the players I listed, you better believe that it will easily get PG13 into the Top3/5. That’s exactly the point many of us have been trying to make.

PG13 was in the top 5 in fan voting this year. He was an all-star starter two years ago, and he's been an all-star 5 of the last 6 years.

Being a Laker could give him a little boost in the fan vote, but he's already so high in the vote he could (and has been) a starter on lesser teams.

So I am finding this topic being centered on how being a Laker would affect George's chances of being an all-star a bit strange.

He wasn’t an all-star this year (from the process), and only got in because of injuries to guys selected before him. Im guessing even you would concede he would have been an all-star this year on the first pass if he had been a Laker.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject:

Daphanabe wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:

PG13 was in the top 5 in fan voting this year. He was an all-star starter two years ago, and he's been an all-star 5 of the last 6 years.

Being a Laker could give him a little boost in the fan vote, but he's already so high in the vote he could (and has been) a starter on lesser teams.

So I am finding this topic being centered on how being a Laker would affect George's chances of being an all-star a bit strange.

He wasn’t an all-star this year (from the process), and only got in because of injuries to guys selected before him. Im guessing even you would concede he would have been an all-star this year on the first pass if he had been a Laker.

Even if being on the Lakers boosted George from #5 in fan voting to #2, I don't believe he would have been a starter because of the players and media vote. I don't think the players or media vote would been affected by his jersey.

In the same way, I doubt the jersey George wears would affect the coach's vote.

So, no, I don't think wearing a Lakers jersey instead of a Thunders jersey would have changed how he came to be an all-star.
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:

Even if being on the Lakers boosted George from #5 in fan voting to #2, I don't believe he would have been a starter because of the players and media vote. I don't think the players or media vote would been affected by his jersey.

In the same way, I doubt the jersey George wears would affect the coach's vote.

So, no, I don't think wearing a Lakers jersey instead of a Thunders jersey would have changed how he came to be an all-star.

I find it hard to believe they wouldn’t put in a #2 vote getter, but fair enough.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject:

Daphanabe wrote:
I find it hard to believe they wouldn’t put in a #2 vote getter, but fair enough.

Manu Ginobbli was the #2 fan vote getter this year, and he didn't make the team.

Zaza Pachulia -- believe it or not -- was the #2 fan vote getter last year, and he didn't make the team either.

Wade was the #2 vote getter the year before that and he didn't make the team.

You get the idea.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Manu Ginobbli was the #2 fan vote getter this year, and he didn't make the team.

I had to go look that up because I couldn't believe it. Sure enough, Manu had more fan votes than Harden or Westbrook. Spurs fans must have been stuffing the ballot box trying to get Manu one last trip to the all-star game.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
activeverb wrote:

I had to go look that up because I couldn't believe it. Sure enough, Manu had more fan votes than Harden or Westbrook. Spurs fans must have been stuffing the ballot box trying to get Manu one last trip to the all-star game.

I assumed that was simply due to the magical effect of playing on the Spurs. Cuz you know the instant anyone goes to the Spurs they become a well-known Superstar
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:

Zaza Pachulia -- believe it or not -- was the #2 fan vote getter last year, and he didn't make the team either.

You get the idea.

Not really a fair analogy since Paul George is actually still really good. On the Manu question above, would be interesting to see the split of international votes.
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Daphanabe wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:

You get the idea.

Not really a fair analogy since Paul George is actually still really good. On the Manu question above, would be interesting to see the split of international votes.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Daphanabe wrote:
On the Manu question above, would be interesting to see the split of international votes.

It would, but this looks like a ballot stuff by Spurs fans. Manu got 214k fan votes last year and finished 10th. The previous year he got 226k and finished 6th. I doubt that he got an extra 1.6M votes from Argentina.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject:

Daphanabe wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:

You get the idea.

You're the one who said the coaches would vote in a player simply because he was the number two on the fan ballot. I was just showing that many times they have not done so, and they don't particularly care how the fans vote

It also shows how ballot stuffing from one team doesn't make as big a deal as it used to, with the new voting system
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Once again, I think some of you have spent way too much time inside the Lakers bubble. Over 2.5 million fans voted for Giannis as an all-star game starter. Whether they can spell his name is beside the point.

just going to throw a few points out:

- there is still value in being los angeles as an entertainer/celebrity. while within the NBA sphere you an be a star anywhere, for global influence/celebrity there is still value in being on a team where access to media is unparalleled. los angeles' status as the entertainment capital of the world may be waning as other cities develop their entertainment infrastructures, but it remains the best place to be for entertainers, and at the end of the day, basketball is exactly that, entertainment.

Can you think of anyone in recent times who has actually benefited from this? Snaq made a couple movies twenty years ago. Kobe has some irons in the fire. The theory sounds great, but I can't think of any example of where it has translated into reality for a Laker more than players from elsewhere (Lebron, Irving, etc.). I think this is a prime example of an argument that makes a lot more sense inside the Laker bubble than outside.

44TheLogo wrote:
- there's a difference between watching someone's brilliance on a regular basis and acknowledging them being good based on stats and highlights.

Yes. But everyone is on TV now. This sort of argument strikes me as a carryover from the days when national TV games were more limited.

44TheLogo wrote:
- the fans voting in NBA all star are a self selected representation of the general population. if you were to survey random laypeople i'd be surprised if more people knew giannis than lonzo. i'd bet money that they're equal in celebrity and name recognition at this point.

Lonzo is irrelevant to this discussion. People have heard of him because of his dad. I suspect that a lot of people who have heard of him don't realize that he's a Laker. Except for Lavar Balltic, Lonzo would be just another rookie.

Anyway, random people off the street don't matter much. What matters is people who follow the NBA. To those people, Giannis is a pretty big deal.

44TheLogo wrote:
-media and nba voters are also victims to recency bias. lakers play on a national stage more than other teams, so if you're a star excelling on the lakers, media will be watching your brilliance on a regular basis more than others. it's one of the reasons the raptors stars are often undervalued, nobody has ever actually watched them play! this stuff factors into the awards voting

Again, I can't think of an example of this. The Lakers haven't done particularly well in the awards voting, going back to the Snaq-Kobe days. Also, you seem to be stuck in an era when everyone wasn't on TV on a regular basis.

Now, take all of the supposed benefits, and weigh them against cost of living and California state income tax. That's the reality that we're dealing with. How much is the glory of living in LA really worth to players? Would they give up $100,000? $1 million? $5 million? We shall see.

A few things: I think you're discounting the way a national narrative is formed through exposure. Twitter and more national sports talking heads explode when someone puts on a performance on the national stage, period. Being on NBA TV or League Pass doesn't get you the same sheer number of eyeballs you would get from regularly playing on TNT, ESPN, and ABC. This matters for narrative and a forming of national consensus. Pau for example made one all star team in Memphis, then three with the Lakers despite being roughly the same player. He never made an All NBA team with Memphis, then made two with the Lakers. The Lakers still get near the most national games even when we're garbage.

I think you're missing my point on the entertainment angle - it's not about making movies or being in the film industry, it's about raising your profile. Simply being in LA makes you a celebrity, people talk about you, you mingle with, befriend, date other celebrities, you're in the news, so if you're also excellent it just puts you in conversations that maybe otherwise you wouldn't be thought of.
everyone knows nick young now because he came home and played for a horrible lakers team. think about that one.
Everyone and I mean everyone knows who swaggy p is.
NO one outside of wizard fans and L.A. native who knew their basketball cared about nick young(i'll throw in SC alums).

The moment he steps foot on that gold court. all of a sudden he's an icon of some sort.

He blew up so much so that even now that he's gone. His personality is in a video game (nba 2k18 my career... shammy wells = swaggy p).

How do laker fans doubt this reality is beyond me.

ANytime there's a slow news cycle, you pull up a laker article. and now they do that by way of lavar ball. the father of the laker player lonzo ball.
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:44 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:

You get the idea.

You're the one who said the coaches would vote in a player simply because he was the number two on the fan ballot. I was just showing that many times they have not done so, and they don't particularly care how the fans vote

It also shows how ballot stuffing from one team doesn't make as big a deal as it used to, with the new voting system

We were having a conversation specifically around Paul George, which is where that comes from. Would it have been clearer like this - “I find it hard to believe that Paul George wouldn’t have been an All-Star if he was the #2 vote getter” (which he likely would have been on the Lakers).

I’m sure PG sees it the same way. You don’t think he was pissed when he didn’t get in (before he got the mercy call after others got injured). I’m sure he was thinking, that would never have happened if he was a Laker.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
The moment he steps foot on that gold court. all of a sudden he's an icon of some sort.

Nick Young was an icon? Some of you folks spend way too much time inside the Lakers bubble.

By the way, Young got 68k all star fan votes last year as a Laker, finishing 22nd. This year, he got 79k as a Warrior, finishing 16th. I guess it's the Warriors brand.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject:

Daphanabe wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:

You get the idea.

We were having a conversation specifically around Paul George, which is where that comes from. Would it have been clearer like this - “I find it hard to believe that Paul George wouldn’t have been an All-Star if he was the #2 vote getter” (which he likely would have been on the Lakers).

I’m sure PG sees it the same way. You don’t think he was pissed when he didn’t get in (before he got the mercy call after others got injured). I’m sure he was thinking, that would never have happened if he was a Laker.

I go back to my point. How the fans vote doesn't affect how the media, players, or coaches vote. So I don't see how an increase in the fan vote for George would have changed the outcome for him this year.
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:

You get the idea.

I go back to my point. How the fans vote doesn't affect how the media, players, or coaches vote. So I don't see how an increase in the fan vote for George would have changed the outcome for him this year.

So to be clear - Are you saying that if Paul George were the #2 vote getter this year, he still wouldn’t have made the All-Star?

If so, then just agree to disagree as I defintely think he would have.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject:

Daphanabe wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:

You get the idea.

So to be clear - Are you saying that if Paul George were the #2 vote getter this year, he still wouldn’t have made the All-Star?

If so, then just agree to disagree as I defintely think he would have.

If we look at what they've done in the past, the players, media, and coaches, have never taken the fan vote into consideration in their own voting. But you think if George put on a Lakers jersey, that would all change for him? Got it.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
splashmtn wrote:

Nick Young was an icon? Some of you folks spend way too much time inside the Lakers bubble.

By the way, Young got 68k all star fan votes last year as a Laker, finishing 22nd. This year, he got 79k as a Warrior, finishing 16th. I guess it's the Warriors brand.
i see you're not paying attention.

ICON doesnt have to mean he's a great player. it doesnt have to mean he's our favorite player. But everyone knows who "swaggy p" is based on him being a laker. You can try to deny it but it can't be disputed.

When I say people know who he is. I'm not talking about heavy basketball fans that knew him from his high school, or USC days or even that he was a wizard.

People learned who nick young was and the way he acts based on the fact he played for the lakers.

LOL at the laker bubble. There is no such thing. Whatever we do, everyone follows. Better or for worse. You know its true. why you guys are trying to act like it isnt true is hilarious to me.

Just a google search. hilarious.

https://www.ranker.com/review/nick-young/1676782
Quote:
Nicholas Aaron "Nick" Young is an American professional basketball player who plays for the Los Angeles Lakers of the National Basketball Association. Standing at 6 ft 7 in, he plays both shooting guard and small forward positions.

Click the link. and you see him in a GSW jersey. So you tell me, why is the bio talking about him as a laker and not a warrior or a wizard's player or not all 3?

I think we know the answer to that. Because know one cared about him until he became a laker. No one being people outside of the true hoop fans.

and again, i have given you proof its not a laker bubble because i just showed you how his likeness is in a video game thats sold around the globe to millions. its not a lakers video game. lol.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
People learned who nick young was and the way he acts based on the fact he played for the lakers.

LOL at the laker bubble. There is no such thing. Whatever we do, everyone follows. Better or for worse. You know its true. why you guys are trying to act like it isnt true is hilarious to me.

I have the benefit of living outside the bubble. Most NBA fans would snicker at you. In fact, if you asked average NBA fans about "Swaggy P," you'd get a blank look most of the time.

splashmtn wrote:
Click the link. and you see him in a GSW jersey. So you tell me, why is the bio talking about him as a laker and not a warrior or a wizard's player or not all 3?

Because Nick Young is so enormously important that no one has bothered to update the web site since he signed with the Warriors last summer. Click the Wikipedia link on the page. It is updated.

If I hadn't been on this board for 14 years or so, this discussion would blow my mind. We actually have people seriously arguing that the power of the Lakers brand is proven by :

-- Kyle Kuzma finishing 10th in the fan voting for the all star game.

-- Ranker.com not bothering to change the copy on its web site to indicate that Nick Young is no longer a Laker.

Good heavens.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
Because know one cared about him until he became a laker. No one being people outside of the true hoop fans.

I don't think anyone outside of true hoop fans cared about Nick until he began dating Iggy Azalea and they had an unended amount of attention and drama. Take that out of the equation, and I don't think Nick is all that well known. It's similar to how Kris Humphries became well know after he started dating Kim Kardashian.

Even so, to call Nick "an icon" is pretty silly. This is a guy who is paid below the NBA average to be a bench player. He has fewer Twitter followers than Iman Shumpert and Harrison Barnes.

Last edited by activeverb on Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:
On the Manu question above, would be interesting to see the split of international votes.

It would, but this looks like a ballot stuff by Spurs fans. Manu got 214k fan votes last year and finished 10th. The previous year he got 226k and finished 6th. I doubt that he got an extra 1.6M votes from Argentina.

There was a huge campaign in Argentina for Manú to be an Al Star at the age of 40. Not only sports press, but Argentine athletes from other sports like Leo Messi, Kun Aguero, Sorín (football - the one played with feet and a ball), Del Potro (tennis) and Nico Sanchez (Rugby) supported it.

http://losandes.com.ar/article/view?slug=allstar-el-mundo-del-deporte-argentino-sigue-votando-a-ginobili

El Clarín is probably the biggest newspaper in the country: https://www.clarin.com/deportes/basquet/manu-ginobili-recibio-voto-kun-sergio-aguero-vez-dificil-acceda-juego-estrellas_0_rkXAgJu4G.html

Forget about the Spurs fan base, it was 100% Argentina who led Manú to that result.
kobe_4_mvp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject:

nick young icon
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject:

I honestly can't believe that people are working so hard to deny there's added celebrity and recognition that comes with being on the Lakers. Like the Lakers brand isn't still one of the biggest in the world despite having historically bad records for the last few years.

living outside of the Lakers bubble doesn't really mean anything when the Lakers bubble is the second largest metro population in the nation...it's like arguing that by living outside of the urban city "bubble" you're more in tune with reality, when the urban reality is more a reflection of reality than not.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
I honestly can't believe that people are working so hard to deny there's added celebrity and recognition that comes with being on the Lakers. Like the Lakers brand isn't still one of the biggest in the world despite having historically bad records for the last few years.

living outside of the Lakers bubble doesn't really mean anything when the Lakers bubble is the second largest metro population in the nation...it's like arguing that by living outside of the urban city "bubble" you're more in tune with reality, when the urban reality is more a reflection of reality than not.

Seriously! It's just a bunch of contrarians trying to argue because it's their nature to do so.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12
Jump to: