Paul Pierce: Doc Rivers changed policy after blowing Tim Duncan free agency

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Paul Pierce: Doc Rivers changed policy after blowing Tim Duncan free agency

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/02/15/grant-hill-confirms-story-about-doc-rivers-blowing-tim-duncan-free-agency-video/

Quote:
Paul Pierce: Doc Rivers changed policy after blowing Tim Duncan free agency (VIDEO)

We heard from former San Antonio Spurs guard Bruce Bowen last year that Doc Rivers had blown a 2000 free agency bid for Tim Duncan.

Bowen’s story was that Duncan had a fairly simple request, and when Rivers refused, that’s when the Orlando Magic lost their chance to pair Duncan with Tracy McGrady and Grant Hill.

Now, Hill has confirmed that story as a first hand witness. To boot, Paul Pierce said that Rivers changed his policy on allowing non-players on the team plane specifically because he lost Duncan.

The conversation starts at around 1:45 in the video above, but if you can’t watch it here’s what was said.

Hill: Not only have I heard that, I was there. I was at the dinner when someone in Tim’s entourage asked Doc, ‘Can significant others travel on the plane?’ And Doc said no.

Pierce: When Doc got to Boston, he allowed family to be on the plane. Yeah, he didn’t want to make that mistake again!

Rivers has had his fair share of criticism, especially when he had a dual coaching and front office position with the LA Clippers. Losing out on Duncan, though, probably takes the cake in terms of missed opportunities. Obviously with Hill significantly injured they would not have had a Big 3 but Orlando won 42+ games in each of the seasons following that summer.

Oh what could have been
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject:

Now we know why NBA ticket prices are so extravagant. We're paying for cross country family trips.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject:

Was this a request Timmy made for the wife he eventually divorced? Yikes, he not only gave up a crap ton of money by not signing with the Magic, he then went on to lose much of it by his agent.
Gellollo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject:

I saw this segment on The Jump. T-Mac looked so sad and Rachel was egging him on. That trio would've been nice (if Grant Hill was healthy), as long as they didn't interfere with any of the Laker titles.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:23 am    Post subject:

Gellollo wrote:
I saw this segment on The Jump. T-Mac looked so sad and Rachel was egging him on. That trio would've been nice (if Grant Hill was healthy), as long as they didn't interfere with any of the Laker titles.
'

If healthy that team would have been trouble for everyone. People forget just how filthy Grant was before his foot injuries did him in.
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject:

Did they even have enough money for the 3 of them? If I remember correctly, they went after Hill and Duncan first. When Duncan decide to go back to SA, they went after Tracy.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Gellollo wrote:
'

If healthy that team would have been trouble for everyone. People forget just how filthy Grant was before his foot injuries did him in.

People forget how filthy Duncan was in the early 2000s.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Was this a request Timmy made for the wife he eventually divorced? Yikes, he not only gave up a crap ton of money by not signing with the Magic, he then went on to lose much of it by his agent.

Yep same chick although he made her sign a prenup go figure his agent got over him but not his wife.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject:

NBA Finals would've been much better to watch thats for sure. I remember there were some awful eastern conference teams in the early 2000's that wouldn't have beaten a western conference final team.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Hammett wrote:
Now we know why NBA ticket prices are so extravagant. We're paying for cross country family trips.

They charter their own planes so it wouldn't have made a difference. I guess Doc wanted to keep it more of an atmosphere for just the players and staff.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject:

If Duncan was at all serious, then all it took was, "Hey I'm coming in one condition..."
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject:

Have to stick with Doc on this one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: