I’ve lost interest in all NBA league activity since Lakers began their down years
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: I’ve lost interest in all NBA league activity since Lakers began their down years

Every single year during all star break has been about lebron and curry in recent years. It’s a popularity contest. The league is more and more like WWE for its increasing attention for pure entertainment and theatrical rather than competitiveness. This generation of NBA ball blows.
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: I’ve lost interest in all NBA league activity since Lakers began their down years

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Every single year during all star break has been about lebron and curry in recent years. It’s a popularity contest. The league is more and more like WWE for its increasing attention for pure entertainment and theatrical rather than competitiveness. This generation of NBA ball blows.

True.
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject:

I have lost interest in NBA ever since LeBron decided he needed DWade and Bosh to accomplish something.. then everbody else decided “i need to join other stars and make super teams”
I hope that trend dies as soon as LeBron retires cause theirs alot of good tandoms that can get far or make noise, but wont cause the super teams like Warriors / Cavs get ring chasers which only improves their teams.

Horford left ATL cause they kept getting bounced by Cavs.
KD left cause he was sick of getting bounced by GSW.
Kyrie wanted out cause he didnt wanna be in LBJs shadow, and since Boston was on the rise and had Horford, it became an attractive destination.
Nets gutted their team n future to make an older super team to compete with LBJs super team out East.

Like the domino effect of these super teams kills the outlook and competitiveness of the whole league.

Fack LBJ, and his diva politics.
BTW: I am anti LeBron in this years free agency market.

Last edited by JeezyXVII on Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject:

NBA wasn't WWF during the Shaq-Kobe years?

Maybe it's not that the league is acting this way, but that the Lakers aren't the focal point of it and winning that bothers you the most.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject:

JeezyXVII wrote:
I have lost interest in NBA ever since LeBron decided he needed DWade and Bosh to accomplish something.. then everbody else decided “i need to join other stars and make super teams”
I hope that trend dies as soon as LeBron retires cause theirs alot of good tandoms that can get far or make noise, but wont cause the super teams like Warriors / Cavs get ring chasers which only improves their teams.

Kyrie wanted out cause he didnt wanna be in LBJs shadow, and since Boston was on the rise and had Horford, it became an attractive destination.
Nets gutted their team n future to make an older super team to compete with LBJs super team out East.

Like the domino effect of these super teams kills the outlook and competitiveness of the whole league.

I don’t disagree with you... but we (fans + media) created this IMO. We have basically been saying that nothing matters without a ring. If that is true, then, why shouldn’t they forgo anything in pursuit of the only thing that matters?
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: I’ve lost interest in all NBA league activity since Lakers began their down years

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Lebron ruined it by buddying up with all the best players and creating superteams. When he retires things will get better.
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
JeezyXVII wrote:

I don’t disagree with you... but we (fans + media) created this IMO. We have basically been saying that nothing matters without a ring. If that is true, then, why shouldn’t they forgo anything in pursuit of the only thing that matters?

I get it, and rings do matter, but it just kills the whole league when 1 team has 3-4 stars.

You look at Washington, Portland, Indiana, Clippers in the past years, Rockets who have a star or 2 and are great teams, but come playoff time, its either Cavs or GSW and no further discussion.

Its just disgusting IMO. A labeled “king” wouldnt go be a Jack to another star on their own team, thats how much of a cancerous diva he’s been to the NBA.

I miss days of the NBA having multiple great teams in each conference and come playoff time, you knew all the matchups were gonna be fun games.

I think it will revert back to that once GSW dies down and LeBron retires,
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject:

I would say the beginning was the CP3 veto....it basically showed the commissioner was willing to conspire against the Lakers organization without reepercussions and worst of all it was straight from the top.
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
I would say the beginning was the CP3 veto....it basically showed the commissioner was willing to conspire against the Lakers organization without reepercussions and worst of all it was straight from the top.

Even that I would say killed our franchise as we were trying to build our own super team cause that was the trend since back then, but backfired on us and LO got shipped as a result and things went south.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject:

I think there is another culprit. And that is, the inmates are running the asylum now so to speak. The players, have too much power. So they just dictate where they go.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Maybe it's not that the league is acting this way, but that the Lakers aren't the focal point of it and winning that bothers you the most.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
MJST wrote:

Lot of truth to this too.

But I do think we have a bit of a problem in the league with a lack of ... competition in the upper tier.

At least in our day, we had hated rivals like the Kings, Spurs, Blazers. As good as akobe/Shaq were, we were inches away from losing to those guys.

That level of competition doesn’t seem there right now.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject:

^^^^

The league didn't look any different from the perspective of, say, the 2000 Clippers or the 2000 Warriors. For the moment, at least, that's our perspective. It's all about the Warriors, Rockets, Spurs, Cavs, and Celtics. And maybe the Raptors.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject:

My cousin swore off the NBA and has never re-invested his time in it, after the CP3 fiasco. I know some others who did the same. But the NBA's popularity is on the rise, so I think they are doing just fine without his support lol.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Every generation says that about says that about the one that comes after. It's nothing new and usually isn't even true. Some Zepplin fan is crappin' on Gun N Roses, who's crapping on Nirvana, who's on crappin' on Thrice, and it goes on and on and on.

So many fans quit the NBA when Jordan quit. They didn't like how all the stars (Bron, Melo, Wade) were all best friends. Some fans quit when Kobe quit (smart move lol). I'm enjoying this growing process of the Lakers, but to each their own. A bunch of fans will quit when Lebron or Curry is done. That just how it is, until their team is relevant again and they hop back on the bandwagon and tell stories of how they were fans 10 years ago. Or 25 if you're a Knicks fan.
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject:

The league is currently filled with so much talent and blossoming talent. Some great basketball is being played.

On top of that Lebron is seriously one of the greatest athletes in all of sports and to have him play right now is huge for the league. Once he retires, there will be a big void for a quick minute.
Christopher Walken
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject:

I love this thread and no, it's not because the lakers are bad right now.
Lakeshow1843
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject:

Hasn't this always been a league driven by stars where only a few teams are competing for rings? This nostalgia towards parity a lot of people seem to have is crazy. The league is getting better talent and yeah it's harder to compete if you don't have those top talents but when hasn't it been?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
^^^^

The league didn't look any different from the perspective of, say, the 2000 Clippers or the 2000 Warriors. For the moment, at least, that's our perspective. It's all about the Warriors, Rockets, Spurs, Cavs, and Celtics. And maybe the Raptors.

That's true, and I don't disagree there is an element of that. And I'm not a fan of parity either just to put that out there.

Even though the league has always had dominant teams, I'm just saying the extent of that dominance seems greater right now. For example, the last 3 seasons had the exact same 2 teams battling it out for the championship.

Even when we were dominating the league, we still at least faced 4 different opponents in the finals in as many years. The Spurs never won back to back titles, etc.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject:

Eras and phases come and go; "This too shall come to pass." The league is ever-evolving since 1948.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject:

Some of you missing my point. I’m all for a star driven league, but today’s stars lack genuine competitiveness and are either drama queens or goodie two shoes without any interesting characters aka curry.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Some of you missing my point. I’m all for a star driven league, but today’s stars lack genuine competitiveness and are either drama queens or goodie two shoes without any interesting characters aka curry.

I got what you're saying. It's no longer 'imma beat you to a pulp in court then be friends off court', it's now 'we're all friends on and off court'... except Westbrook
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

So your lack of interest is not so much driven by the Laker’s downturn but more by the retirement of guys like Kobe, Shaq, Paul Pierce, KG, Webber, etc.

Guys that openly despised other players. I still love the game but those days and owe types of players are missed.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Even when we were dominating the league, we still at least faced 4 different opponents in the finals in as many years.

That's because there were no strong teams in the East. The Finals were an afterthought, at least until the Pistons beat us.
richsmith
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject:

The evidence proves the contrary. At a time when all other sports leagues are losing fans and ratings in droves, the NBA's popularity continues to grow in ratings and revenue. The league is bigger than it has been at any time since the Jordan years, and even bigger internationally.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: