I’ve lost interest in all NBA league activity since Lakers began their down years
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Even when we were dominating the league, we still at least faced 4 different opponents in the finals in as many years.

That's because there were no strong teams in the East. The Finals were an afterthought, at least until the Pistons beat us.

Right. And I’m just saying it’s worse now in the sense that we have seen the same two teams in the finals the last 3 years and the same guy in the finals for 8 years in a row.

It’s the same as prior eras when you had dominant teams, I’m just saying the degree of dominance seems to be greater.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject:

IF we still had Chick Hearns during these down years, it will still be entertaining.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject:

Lakeshow1843 wrote:
Hasn't this always been a league driven by stars where only a few teams are competing for rings? This nostalgia towards parity a lot of people seem to have is crazy. The league is getting better talent and yeah it's harder to compete if you don't have those top talents but when hasn't it been?

Too bad most of them play for a few select teams. That means the disparity between elite and average or bad teams is higher than ever. Lets face it unless you are on a superteam team you have no chance in this era.
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject:

AKA I'm sad and bitter my Lakers aren't good anymore

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject:

the league will improve when Cleveland and GSW are not so dominant in their respective conferences during the playoffs. I think this year both team will be challenged more which will help. Even in some of the years that we were winning titles, we were taken to the brink of elimination several times. Last year is probably about as bad as it will get.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject:

Man I can only imagine what fans of 29 other teams in the 90s were feeling watching the bulls win year after year... That's gotta be worse than GS, no way they're winning 6 rings.
SGVL1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject:

To the OP 1000% agree.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: I’ve lost interest in all NBA league activity since Lakers began their down years

kwase wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Every single year during all star break has been about lebron and curry in recent years. It’s a popularity contest. The league is more and more like WWE for its increasing attention for pure entertainment and theatrical rather than competitiveness. This generation of NBA ball blows.

Lebron ruined it by buddying up with all the best players and creating superteams. When he retires things will get better.

That is only because it worked. When Payton and Malone buddied up here it wasn’t the same because they failed.

Last edited by venturalakersfan on Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject:

I'm in the same boat, OP. It's been too hard to follow a team that went from three NBA Finals in a row to being a perennial bottom 5 team in the NBA. I've watched less than 5 games total since The Coward and Nash experiment went swirling down the crapper.

It's absolutely atrocious what the Buss family let happen to our beloved Lakers. I watch A LOT of retro NBA clips nowadays, and occasionally follow young talent like the Greek Freek and I fancied Porzingis for a while.

Rooting for other teams kinda feels like cheating on your true love.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
Man I can only imagine what fans of 29 other teams in the 90s were feeling watching the bulls win year after year... That's gotta be worse than GS, no way they're winning 6 rings.

Back in the 90s everyone was decked out in Chicago Bulls or Dallas Cowboys jerseys (I wasn't either of those!). MJ and Nike was just kinda a cultural phenomena that took over the country and nobody really gave a hoot if they dominated. Same with the Cowboys, who were branded "America's team."

You either go with the flow or start following other sports.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Even when we were dominating the league, we still at least faced 4 different opponents in the finals in as many years.

That's because there were no strong teams in the East. The Finals were an afterthought, at least until the Pistons beat us.

Right. And I’m just saying it’s worse now in the sense that we have seen the same two teams in the finals the last 3 years and the same guy in the finals for 8 years in a row.

It’s the same as prior eras when you had dominant teams, I’m just saying the degree of dominance seems to be greater.

Over the past three seasons, that's true. There is a good chance that this year will be a fourth. The closest parallel in modern times was the dominance of the Lakers and Celtics in the '80s, but even then the Sixers and Rockets managed to slip into the Finals a couple times each. Still, there was an eight year period when only those four teams made the Finals. It goes to ten years if you toss in the Pistons.
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
I would say the beginning was the CP3 veto....it basically showed the commissioner was willing to conspire against the Lakers organization without reepercussions and worst of all it was straight from the top.

Yup.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: I’ve lost interest in all NBA league activity since Lakers began their down years

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Every single year during all star break has been about lebron and curry in recent years. It’s a popularity contest. The league is more and more like WWE for its increasing attention for pure entertainment and theatrical rather than competitiveness. This generation of NBA ball blows.

The league has been this way for 30 years. It's always been a few Haves and many Have Nots. You're just not used to being one of the Have Nots
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: I’ve lost interest in all NBA league activity since Lakers began their down years

activeverb wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

The league has been this way for 30 years. It's always been a few Haves and many Have Nots. You're just not used to being one of the Have Nots
True. 30 years of winning does that. Magic and Co to Shaq and Kobe to Kobe and Pau. We had a great run. Now it's rebuilding time. No Logo or Mitch this time around.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: I’ve lost interest in all NBA league activity since Lakers began their down years

Vancouver Fan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

True. 30 years of winning does that. Magic and Co to Shaq and Kobe to Kobe and Pau. We had a great run. Now it's rebuilding time. No Logo or Mitch this time around.

Many Lakers fans have never experienced a true rebuilding in their lives. To them, a "rebuilding" is starting with a GOAT level player and enduring a few mediocre seasons between rings. The notion of a 20-year ringless draught, like the Celtics went through, is incomprehensible to some of them.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: I’ve lost interest in all NBA league activity since Lakers began their down years

activeverb wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Many Lakers fans have never experienced a true rebuilding in their lives. To them, a "rebuilding" is starting with a GOAT level player and enduring a few mediocre seasons between rings. The notion of a 20-year ringless draught, like the Celtics went through, is incomprehensible to some of them.

+1,000,000
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: I’ve lost interest in all NBA league activity since Lakers began their down years

activeverb wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

On point!!!!

Coach Wooden
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: I’ve lost interest in all NBA league activity since Lakers began their down years

activeverb wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

The periods of true rebuilding we had was after Jerry West retired and before we got Kareem. 74-75. We went 30-52 that year, but it only lasted one year. We got Kareem the next year and went 40-42. We actually won 53 one of those years but were basically a .500 team, middle of the pack until we got Magic in 79-80.

Then after Magic had to quit, we some lousy years until Shaq came here. But that period only last for about 3 years with super lousy teams and no hope. Magic came back in the middle of that and average 14.6 ppg while helping us to a respectful win percentage. Even the Nick and Jones era had teams that were one player away from being at the top. Those teams where winning over 50 games every year.

This last few years has been the worst run in team history.

I am finding myself getting very annoyed with the league. They seem to take every opportunity to thwart us and prevent us from growing. From rules changes, cap adjustments, reversing trades, fining our FO 3 times so far for tampering.

Does anyone really believe that everyone else doesn't do the same stuff our team does?

The league, is being run by all the lesser owners who want us out of the picture so they can own the trophies.

Come on, we have the money, we have the space, we have background pieces. I would argue that with two star vets, we are in the hunt for rings.

We should have them already, the league should want us to have them and the players should want to be here. WTF is going on? Yeah, at this point, I am getting bitter.

I was pissed after Stern took CP3 from us, I was more pissed after we ended out losing all our players for nothing because they were all so pissed off over the trade. Everything else has been annoying as hell. But I tried to just enjoy the rebuilding process, Now I feel like we have rebuilt the organization and have a better vision for what our team should be. The money is in place, I like our core, lots of room to improve but some solid pieces. If we don't get the players now, I will be very disappointed. If I see that Magic is unable to reverse this lousy trend and get us back on winning ways. I will be convinced that we have been blacklisted by the league and the players and I will walk away from the sport.

I say to the NBA right now, give us a god damned team or go to hell. I quit!!! This BS has gone on too long and it's it's all krap. We frigging bailed this league out when they needed it the most. Jerry Buss saved this league and this is what he gets for it. F Stern and F the league if they don't quit messing with us.

So, how is that for some bitterness!!
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject:

^^^^

9 on a scale of 10. You forgot to mention referees and the East Coast media. Still, it was an impressive entry.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject:

^^^^

I'd go with 8.75. Have to deduct a quarter point for not mentioning any draft conspiracy.
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: I’ve lost interest in all NBA league activity since Lakers began their down years

kwase wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Lebron ruined it by buddying up with all the best players and creating superteams. When he retires things will get better.

I hate him. He’s no Kobe and no Jordan.
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: I’ve lost interest in all NBA league activity since Lakers began their down years

venturalakersfan wrote:
kwase wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

That is only because it worked. When Payton and Malone buddied up here it wasn’t the same because they failed.

Payton was washed, Malone was 40.

Please don’t compare the 2 it’s not the same. LeBron joined Wade (a top 5 player at the time) and Bosh who was a franchise player for Toronto and a big part of team USA’s gold medal. Both players in their prime.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: I’ve lost interest in all NBA league activity since Lakers began their down years

BizLA wrote:

Dang uppity players! Players should only get on superteams if they're lucky enough to have a smart GM who puts good players around them; players shouldn't be smart themselves and create their own superteams. These guys should really learn their place.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: I’ve lost interest in all NBA league activity since Lakers began their down years

activeverb wrote:
BizLA wrote:

Dang uppity players! Players should only get on superteams if they're lucky enough to have a smart GM who puts good players around them; players shouldn't be smart themselves and create their own superteams. These guys should really learn their place.

I don't see superteams going away even after Lebron retires....you see the thing he did was change the way how players saw themselves. They were the ones bringing the value to the team. They could all buddy up together on some team with no legacy and make their own history. The players don't actually get any money from a team's valuation so they don't care about a team's history anymore. This is why nobody goes to the Knicks despite it being in the biggest media market and the team being the most valuable in the NBA.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject:

mirak wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
I would say the beginning was the CP3 veto....it basically showed the commissioner was willing to conspire against the Lakers organization without reepercussions and worst of all it was straight from the top.

Yup

Its just as much Mitch's fault that trade didn't happen, you guys don't have to protect him

David Stern on the veto:
"In the course of the weekend, we thought we could redo the deal," Stern said. "We really thought that Houston would be ready to part with [Kyle] Lowry, and we had a trade lined up for Odom that would have gotten us a good first-round draft pick. Not we, but my basketball folks.?

"But Mitch Kupchak at the time panicked and moved Odom to Dallas. So the piece wasn't even there for us to play with at the time. So that was it -- just about what was good for the then-New Orleans Hornets."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: