J.J. Redick says he was 'tongue tied' in video purportedly showing racial slur

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: J.J. Redick says he was 'tongue tied' in video purportedly showing racial slur

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2018/02/18/philadelphia-76-ers-j-j-redick-tongue-tied-video-purportedly-showing-racial-slur/349396002/

Quote:
"Clearly I was tongue tied as the word I purportedly said is not in my vocabulary," he wrote on Twitter. "I'm disappointed that anyone would think I would use that word. I love and respect our friends in China."

Here is a video showing him say the racial slur.

Maybe he is tongue tied but why does he sound mad at us about it? Sounds like he wants people that were offended to apologize to him and not the other way around.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject:

As a Chinese American, I would've been perfectly okay if he just apologized, claiming he didn't mean to say it, and moved on. The fact that he's so antagonistic about it when there's clear evidence he used the word, just makes him a piece of (bleep) in my eyes.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject:

Ummm, yeah, because people get tongue tied all the time and drop the n-bomb or other racial slurs. Come on J.J., own up to that...tongue tied? Well, after the fine he's gonna get from Silver, I doubt he'll be tongue tied ever again.
Triangle_Offense
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Why did they even air that on an official NBA video?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject:

I buy his story. I mean, it doesn’t even make any sense to say “NBA (slur) fans in China”. Why would someone who has full command of the English language do that?

And yeah, it’s weird they even kept that in.

I think it was just a slip up, I hope he is not banished as a racist.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject:

He's full of it and insincere. If he truly were sorry, he should've apologized immediately upon learning about it instead of trying to blow off the casual racism by saying he was "tongue-tied". Who in their right mind would possibly confuse those words? He literally had just one line to rehearse and say and blew it in the worst way.
CalisFinest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Don't think he meant it on purpose, but I doubt people would forgive him this quickly if he used the N word instead.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject:

He had a 2nd twitter statement after talking to Jeremy Lin. Where he apologized. Much better than his first post.

Quote:
"To all our NBA fans in China and everyone celebrating the Chinese New Year, I want to sincerely apologize to anyone I may have offended. After a recent 76ers game, I was asked by the NBA and Tencent to record a video wishing our NBA fans in China a Happy New Year. I was glad to do it, I was intending to say "NBA Chinese fans" but it sounded weird in my mind so I changed it mid-sentence to "NBA fans in China." It came out the wrong way. At the time we recorded it, no one in the room -- not Tencent, not the 76ers PR team and certainly not myself heard the word that I purported to say. Had I known it sounded anything like that, I would have been mortified and recorded the greeting over again. That is not a word in my vocabulary but I now understand how it sounds on the video. That is not who I am -- as a person, a player, a husband and a father. I have been fortunate to play in two NBA Global Games in China (2007 & 2015). I loved the experience, the culture, the history, and most all, the people. I ask your forgiveness. This should be a time of celebration. I am so sorry for upsetting anyone."

https://twitter.com/JJRedick/status/965443290324664320
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:35 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
Ummm, yeah, because people get tongue tied all the time and drop the n-bomb or other racial slurs. Come on J.J., own up to that...tongue tied? Well, after the fine he's gonna get from Silver, I doubt he'll be tongue tied ever again.

It's an offical promo for the NBA. He dun goofed. You think he truly meant to make a slur public in a promo geared towards China? You know, a promo that would have been looked at and over by how many number of people before it was made public? So a public figure who's been vocal about pursuing a career in the media is going to wilfully sabotage his future by purposely making a slur that he knew full well was going to be broadcast to the public. Makes perfect sense.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject:

Just watching the video for the first time and it’s pretty freakin obvious he just slipped up. This is a non-story.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject:

What a slip up. Unintentional or not, the slur pronounced is quite clear to hear.

Why did the NBA people use that?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
What a slip up. Unintentional or not, the slur pronounced is quite clear to hear.

Why did the NBA people use that?

Subconscious surfacing.

That's a mystery. They bleep the N word why not the C word.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: