Joel Embiid marveled at Wilt Chamberlain's athleticism during the ASG - I put together a vid of what he was on about
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject:

Ted wrote:
So is 48 minutes back then the same as 48 minutes in 2018? I'd bet players cover a lot more ground now than they did back then.

I am willing to bet players today cover way more ground per game than players did back then.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
So much exaggeration and hyperbole when it comes to Wilt. I don't trust any of the athletic feat #s associate with Wilt unless it was an official time at a sanctioned event. No anecdotes.

I'd still take Shaq over Wilt for most dominant player through eras.

50 PPG and over 25 RPG averages for a whole season in the officially sanctioned NBA enough for you? Did Snaq ever average over 14 rpg? Did he ever average over 30 PPG? Wilt would destroy him.

Shaq would put up 70 and 50 in that era

I don’t think Shaq could make a play like that. Wilt was so physically gifted.

Shaq's prime highlights are against the GOAT lineup of centers including Hakeem, Mourning, Robinson, Ewing, etc. Not vs milkmen and meat butchers who play NBA ball part time like Wilt

Videos of Wilt against the Bulls were in his 30's and he played 2 more years after that. I saw them both play and Shaq had nothing on Wilt. A video when he was younger showed him blocking a jump shot from at least 8 ft away, no exaggeration. It was the most amazing play I ever saw. 2 years before he was done playing, I saw him block young Kareem's skyhook, straight up. I saw Kareem's whole career and never saw anyone else do that. Shaq couldn't have touched that shot. Wilt and Kareem We're the best ever and What's not in their league. Nobody was allowed to go through players in those days like Shaq did.

I mean Shaq can literally block a shot from 20 feet away if we take away goaltending. Steph Curry could literally pull a three in Wilts face and it be nothing but net. Wilt was great at putting up stats in a weak league, but even in that league he was wildly unsuccessful compared to both his peers and the greats that followed behind him.

Wilt played in a weak league?

Unless you're just trolling, please educate yourself on that.

It was extremely weak. Most of the players were part time players with full time jobs as mailmen and butchers.

Cmon guys. Why is basketball the only major sport that doesnt acknowledge the evolution and advancement of athletes and sport? Players today are better than player back then. Stop being naive.
dantheman9758
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
MJST wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
So much exaggeration and hyperbole when it comes to Wilt. I don't trust any of the athletic feat #s associate with Wilt unless it was an official time at a sanctioned event. No anecdotes.

I'd still take Shaq over Wilt for most dominant player through eras.

50 PPG and over 25 RPG averages for a whole season in the officially sanctioned NBA enough for you? Did Snaq ever average over 14 rpg? Did he ever average over 30 PPG? Wilt would destroy him.

Shaq would put up 70 and 50 in that era

I don’t think Shaq could make a play like that. Wilt was so physically gifted.

Shaq's prime highlights are against the GOAT lineup of centers including Hakeem, Mourning, Robinson, Ewing, etc. Not vs milkmen and meat butchers who play NBA ball part time like Wilt

Videos of Wilt against the Bulls were in his 30's and he played 2 more years after that. I saw them both play and Shaq had nothing on Wilt. A video when he was younger showed him blocking a jump shot from at least 8 ft away, no exaggeration. It was the most amazing play I ever saw. 2 years before he was done playing, I saw him block young Kareem's skyhook, straight up. I saw Kareem's whole career and never saw anyone else do that. Shaq couldn't have touched that shot. Wilt and Kareem We're the best ever and What's not in their league. Nobody was allowed to go through players in those days like Shaq did.

I mean Shaq can literally block a shot from 20 feet away if we take away goaltending. Steph Curry could literally pull a three in Wilts face and it be nothing but net. Wilt was great at putting up stats in a weak league, but even in that league he was wildly unsuccessful compared to both his peers and the greats that followed behind him.

Wilt played in a weak league?

Unless you're just trolling, please educate yourself on that.

It was extremely weak. Most of the players were part time players with full time jobs as mailmen and butchers.

Cmon guys. Why is basketball the only major sport that doesnt acknowledge the evolution and advancement of athletes and sport? Players today are better than player back then. Stop being naive.

So you must have missed this post:

Let's just take 1965 - split the 60's right down the middle.

9 team league - all the bigs save for the Lakers trio played heavy minutes back then (36+) and these were the starters:

Sixers: Wilt Chamberlain - goat candidate (for his dominance)
Celtics: Bill Russell - goat candidate (for his winning)
Warriors: Nate Thurmond - 50 greatest
Knicks: Willis Reed - 50 greatest
Bullets: Walt Bellamy - HOFer
Hawks: Zelmo Beaty - HOFer
Royals: Wayne Embry 4x NBA All-Star
Pistons: Reggie Harding - as good as Walt Bellamy but off-court problems killed his career prematurely
Lakers: Trio of 6-10 guys one of which, Imhoff, was a 1x All-Star, others Gene Wiley and LeRoy Ellis all shared minutes equally.

That's all teams accounted for. STACKED deck. In a small league, there is no off night. And teams were built around centers back then save for Royals and Lakers (which cost them early on) precisely because of Wilt and Russell. You couldn't compete if you didn't have someone to try to grab rebounds, defend, or help box out against those guys.

- Here's a video visual in case you aren't aware of who those guys are, or how good they were:

If those are butchers and janitors, than we live in a weak era for butchers and janitors cause those butchers and janitors look an awful lot like legit NBA centers. Yesterday, Today, or Tomorrow.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject:

^That's the problem. You're looking at his competition and not recognizing that Wilt's athleticism translates to TODAY'S game.

You know where the better athletes are? It's not even close. Guards. Wings. We have centers that aren't even 7' anymore, but considered elite athletes (D12).

And yet, can't recognize Wilt was as explosive as DeAndre Jordan except he actually had post moves, defensive IQ, and could pass?

Nah man. This isn't naivety.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject:

I automatically ignore anyone who parrots the old "Wilt would average 35/15 against today's soft and weak NBA hurr durr" narrative. Wilt would be great but if you think any post-oriented player is going to come anywhere close to leading the league in scoring you're absolutely ignorant of today's game and the rule changes that have changed how players develop their skillsets.

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
I automatically ignore anyone who parrots the old "Wilt would average 35/15 against today's soft and weak NBA hurr durr" narrative. Wilt would be great but if you think any post-oriented player is going to come anywhere close to leading the league in scoring you're absolutely ignorant of today's game and the rule changes that have changed how players develop their skillsets.

I don't know about 35/15.

I wouldn't be surprised about 26/15. DeAndre Jordan and Andre Drummond don't have his height/wingspan/overall athleticism combination, nevermind post game, and hover around 12-15ppg. Just because the game has changed to wings/guards, doesn't mean that even a 2nd year Shaq (fair example), was already 29/13/3, and that was an uptempo Orlando Magic team.

Difference in pace from that year to current Orlando Magic? 2 whole possessions.

What cracks me up about all of this? Wilt focused on passing/rebounding in his last two seasons as a Laker. At 35, you know what the Laker pace was?

#1 in the league. 117 possessions.

Current Laker team? 100. #1 in the league.

But sure, "he's not an elite athlete" and "centers are so much more athletic now"

Last edited by Mike@LG on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:50 am; edited 3 times in total
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject:

Kareem is the Rosetta Stone that links these generations... Thurmond, Chamberlain, Unseld could hold their own against Kareem who you could only minimize slightly as no one of any era could guard against the skyhook... As I mentioned earlier a 37 year old Kareem outscored a 21 year old MJ who was already starting as a rookie. No one argues that Jordan would still excel today... so if an old Kareem could out play even a rookie MJ... and these centers could play well against Kareem... it's not a stretch to say that Chamberlain would do well in today's NBA.

Chamberlain didn't even try half the time... which was probably why Russell beat him because he had more killer instinct and competitive drive. I remember as a little kid, my father would always shout at Wilt for jogging casually down the court back for defense... but to say he couldn't compete athletically makes no sense to me.
RoyalPurple8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject:

Wilt would have dominated in todays game as well. Hands down the best center in todays NBA, in his prime. And he would not even have to score 30pts a night. His defense alone would be unmatched.
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised about 26/15. DeAndre Jordan and Andre Drummond don't have his height/wingspan/overall athleticism combination, nevermind post game, and hover around 12-15ppg. Just because the game has changed to wings/guards, doesn't mean that even a 2nd year Shaq (fair example), was already 29/13/3, and that was an uptempo Orlando Magic team.

Difference in pace from that year to current Orlando Magic? 2 whole possessions.

What cracks me up about all of this? Wilt focused on passing/rebounding in his last two seasons as a Laker. At 35, you know what the Laker pace was?

But sure, "he's not an elite athlete" and "centers are so much more athletic now"

Don't strawman me, I said nothing about pace. I was referring to the impact of zone defenses.

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
dantheman9758
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:

I would never argue numbers as numbers are irrelevant to me. But I don't think you should ignore people that think Wilt would score or do whatever he wanted basically. Players of that caliber are gravity players. They change the landscape of the game and both influence and outright force people on the floor with them to play differently and adjust to them, they don't fit nicely into prior shaped keyholes and systems no matter what the era is. They CHANGED the eras they played in due to their abilities and they'd do it still. Put Jabbar, Shaq, or Wilt in this small ball 3 point shooter era and you'd be forced to make adjustments. What strategy is going to make their deep position establishment obsolete? 3 point shooting? Doesn't 3 point shooting space the floor better than their eras ever did? Would they not be graced with modern 3 point shooters as their teammates to keep the opposing defense spread out? They'd dominate still. And all the modern spacing that leads to great 3 point looks and drives would be exposed for it's ugly flip side, that a big dominating center in the mold of Shaq, Wilt, or Jabbar is now on an island deep under the basket with 1 mouse in the house while 4 other guys have to spread out to the shooters
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject:

Not to mention guys of that size and caliber of talent would affect pace, as someone is going to need to drop down and box him out, slowing their transition game. They get fouled a ton too, interrupting the flow of play even more.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:

Don't strawman me, I said nothing about pace. I was referring to the impact of zone defenses.

Well, I was referring to pick and roll. 2nd year Shaq got doubled a lot.

Really didn't seem to affect his point total.

Strong side zone didn't really affect Shaq's point total either, so why would it affect Wilt's?

Last edited by Mike@LG on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject:

Yeah I guess Jim Brown would dominate today's NFL too

Only old NBA heads fail to acknowledge the advancement and evolution of the sport and it's athletes.

Wilt would put up 20/16 in today's NBA but he wouldn't be anywhere close to 50 and 25. He'd be a slightly better Andre Drummond.

Last edited by The Juggernaut on Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject:

dantheman9758 wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:

I would never argue numbers as numbers are irrelevant to me. But I don't think you should ignore people that think Wilt would score or do whatever he wanted basically. Players of that caliber are gravity players. They change the landscape of the game and both influence and outright force people on the floor with them to play differently and adjust to them, they don't fit nicely into prior shaped keyholes and systems no matter what the era is. They CHANGED the eras they played in due to their abilities and they'd do it still. Put Jabbar, Shaq, or Wilt in this small ball 3 point shooter era and you'd be forced to make adjustments. What strategy is going to make their deep position establishment obsolete? 3 point shooting? Doesn't 3 point shooting space the floor better than their eras ever did? Would they not be graced with modern 3 point shooters as their teammates to keep the opposing defense spread out? They'd dominate still. And all the modern spacing that leads to great 3 point looks and drives would be exposed for it's ugly flip side, that a big dominating center in the mold of Shaq, Wilt, or Jabbar is now on an island deep under the basket with 1 mouse in the house while 4 other guys have to spread out to the shooters

You're completely missing the point. This has nothing to do with 3>2 or something as elementary as "More shooters space the floor more for post players." Post players are guarded completely different than they were in the 90s let alone the 60s and 70s. Players like Shaq, Kobe, Duncan and McGrady have all spoken about this.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject:

^The whole thread is predicated on a modern NBA player (Joel Embiid) being surprised by Wilt's level of athleticism.

Shrug.

dantheman9758
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:

Only old NBA heads fail to acknowledge the advancement and evolution of the sport and it's athletes.

Wilt would put up 20/16 in today's NBA but he wouldn't be anywhere close to 50 and 25. He'd be a slightly better Andre Drummond.

What exactly are you arguing?

Does Andre Drummond post-up? Like, a video has been shared of Wilt's weak side skillset and it's probably a few orders of magnitude more varied than a player like Drummond. Posting up enables a player to be an offense hub. You dump him the ball he controls the offense. That makes him "slightly" better than a backdoor and pick and roll specialist? It just doesn't make basketball sense. Your go-to argument against Wilt has nothing to do with the things Wilt displays on film, it circles around that idea that his competition was weak as opposed to any trait or skillset you can actually watch him doing. It's not the best way to go about this discussion when we've got film of him displaying important basketball traits, skills, or physical tools that matter no matter who he'd be playing against. (Which really shouldn't be an issue since you ignore that who he played against was a lot better than you give credit). Like, say he isn't impressive .... as you ignore everything he does - because you think all the people around him sucked. It doesn't even make sense.

Last edited by dantheman9758 on Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:

Slightly better Drummond? That is a real laugher, the jokes write themselves.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
^The whole thread is predicated on a modern NBA player (Joel Embiid) being surprised by Wilt's level of athleticism.

Shrug.

Wilt was the best athlete of his era. He'd be a great athlete today too but he wouldn't be the dominating force he was back then today.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject:

dantheman9758 wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

Does Andre Drummond post-up? Like, a video has been shared of Wilt's weak side skillset and it's probably a few orders of magnitude more varied than a player like Drummond. Posting up enables a player to be an offense hub. You dump him the ball he controls the offense. That makes him "slightly" better than a backdoor and pick and roll specialist? It just doesn't make basketball sense. And your best argument against Wilt has nothing to do with the things Wilt displays on film, it circles around that you think his competition was weak. It's not the best way to go about this discussion when we've got film of him displaying important basketball things or physical tools that matter no matter who he'd be playing against (since you ignore that who he played against was a lot better than you give credit).

I can put together a highlight reel of Drummond doing the exact same things Wilt was doing those videos. Full game footage was not the same as highlight videos that make it seem like Wilt was a 3pt sniper with a MJ like fadeaway jumper and Kyrie level ball handling.
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:

Well, I was referring to pick and roll. 2nd year Shaq got doubled a lot.

Really didn't seem to affect his point total.

Strong side zone didn't really affect Shaq's point total either, so why would it affect Wilt's?

Defensive rule changes have made man/zone hybrids pretty much the norm, as switch-heavy teams find players often playing as much zone as man (in a general sense). Range is more important than size or sheer speed, and wing/forward types (usually 6'6"-6'9") with length and athleticism can generally cover more ground than slower bigs and smaller guards. Post-denial has become much easier with changes to illegal defense rules.

The post-up play in recent years (or at least since the influx of available advanced data online) has been one of the least efficient plays in basketball, with lower PPP and high TO% than pretty much any other play-type. Even the best post-up players struggle to be "efficient" by today's definition.

The old timers point to the fact that "there's nobody in the NBA who can exploit small-ball like the bigs in the 90's or Wilt" but is that because of the talent-pool, or because bigs have evolved to better suit today's game? Rebounding and rim-protection is still as important as ever, but the post-up on O is not. Ideally, you need to be able to finish and provide some spacing as a big today. Having the ability to post-up is still valuable, as occasionally a mismatch will present itself that creates an efficient shot-attempt, and that threat alone can help in-terms of gravity (drawing in defenders), but it doesn't help elite bigs to center their games around the post, and it definitely doesn't help teams to center their offenses around post-players.

The big-men that can still be a #1 or #2 option in an efficient offense are guys who can do a little bit of everything on O (P&P, P&R finishing, spot-up, occasional post-up etc). -- with AD being the prototype and guys like KAT joining him. Otherwise, more teams will center their offenses around efficient wings and guards in the years

The image of 90's iso-ball is generally of the Bulls clearing one side of the floor for MJ to operate, but people don't realize how the defensive rules from that era made it nearly impossible to deny post-entries to guys like D-Rob, Hakeem and Shaq.

Yao was the last great traditional post-player in the league, and his peak overlapped with the beginning of the hybrid-zone era. What you ended up seeing was a new type of post-denial/fronting and at times, a ****-show of swarming around him in the form of a hybrid zone.

And as great as Yao was in the post, I saw first hand how a good defensive coach that utilized the new defensive rules to his advantage could turn Houston's simple post-up offense centered a 7'6" skilled monster C (which would have been pretty much unstoppable in the 90's), into a dangerously TO-heavy/risky scheme (in which the best case was a FGA from <10ft, where Yao made a very high %, but the worst case was a TO and no FGA at all; a high-risk/low-reward offense, even with a great player).

With that being said, I'm not saying Wilt would be useless since he'd still be a great rim-runner and rim protector, but he wouldn't be sniffing any scoring titles unless his game drastically changed. Note: This also applies to Shaq.

Last edited by BynumForThree on Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
dantheman9758 wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

Does Andre Drummond post-up? Like, a video has been shared of Wilt's weak side skillset and it's probably a few orders of magnitude more varied than a player like Drummond. Posting up enables a player to be an offense hub. You dump him the ball he controls the offense. That makes him "slightly" better than a backdoor and pick and roll specialist? It just doesn't make basketball sense. And your best argument against Wilt has nothing to do with the things Wilt displays on film, it circles around that you think his competition was weak. It's not the best way to go about this discussion when we've got film of him displaying important basketball things or physical tools that matter no matter who he'd be playing against (since you ignore that who he played against was a lot better than you give credit).

I can put together a highlight reel of Drummond doing the exact same things Wilt was doing those videos. Full game footage was not the same as highlight videos that make it seem like Wilt was a 3pt sniper with a MJ like fadeaway jumper and Kyrie level ball handling.

There was no 3 point shot when Wilt played, ignorance of what you are arguing doesn’t help your case. Rely on actual facts.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
dantheman9758 wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

There was no 3 point shot when Wilt played, ignorance of what you are arguing doesn’t help your case. Rely on actual facts.

No (bleep). There a highlight of him taking deep shots that would be close 3pt range in today's game and splashing them.
dantheman9758
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
dantheman9758 wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

No you can't - because he's not a post-up center.

These are basketball skills not random athletic plays - you can't just assume a guy like Drummond does these, I've never seen Andre Drop-Step into a fall-away jump shot and he doesn't pass out of the post like that the few times he does play in the post. I've seen Andre jump hook. That's ....that's about it. He's not multi-dimensional he doesn't have a bunch of go-to options like Wilt from either side, or falling away, or methods for passing to hit players on every angle of the floor. Wilt's skillset allowed him to be a dependable offensive hub when he was fed, Andre does not have enough options to say the same thing - you can't make a video of him doing stuff like that unless you go to Detroit and teach him how to do things he doesn't do. Hell those are Wilt's options strictly on Wilt's WEAK side - he's got about 1/3rd more on the other side.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

With that being said, I'm not saying Wilt would be unless since he'd still be a great rim-runner and rim protector, but he wouldn't be sniffing any scoring titles unless his game drastically changed. Note: This also applies to Shaq.

I don't understand why you're still focusing on the post when I keep mentioning pace and PnR play for modern Cs and how Shaq and Wilt would excel at that.

Sure, cut the post touches. It'll just be more role-man finishes with better skilled guys at the hoop than DeAndre Jordan. Shaq had VERY VERY rudimentary moves in the post and Orlando ran A LOT of PnR his first couple of years in the league.

Hence, the comparison of Wilt as a 26/15 guy in the modern game. Dude is IMHO a better athlete than Shaq, and athletically compared to Shaq during his ORL years rather than his LAL years (when Shaq actually committed to rebounding and swats).

I mean, I hate D12, and he's doing 16ppg. Now add height, motor, muscle, and wingspan. What does that look like?

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject:

A 7'1'' track and field star with limitless stamina, elite post game, and soft hands.
Ya I think Wilt would do just fine in the modern NBA. I'm thinking at least 2nd team all NBA

Last edited by kikanga on Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8
Jump to: