1 Year Anniversary of Magic/Pelinka Front Office
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you rate their first year?
Complete success. Mission accomplished.
22%
 22%  [ 11 ]
Disaster. Mission failed.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
To be determined, need to wait until summer but more on the POSITIVE side.
71%
 71%  [ 35 ]
To be determined, need to wait until summer but more on the NEGATIVE side.
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 49

Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
I will state that I sometimes fear we are going after the wrong free agents class, thereby forcing us to drop cheap and talented young players to create cap space. I think 2020 is more important as far as FA classes go. Moreover, by that point, we'll be much more sure with what we have on our hands as far as young talent goes, the bad contracts would have expired, and while some of our guys are going to be gearing up for extensions, the cap space would be there and the team could make a firm decision then as to what the central pieces are/should be.

Every year people say the same thing. The next free agent class is better. Guys sign extensions, get traded, injured, opt-in, and the such and poof, free agent class looks weak. Heck, look at this year. It was LeBron, PG, CP3, Westbrook, and Cousins. Now, it's just two of those guys.

Sure, but realize that two of our targets this summer are guys with player options. We are entirely dependent on them deciding that they'd rather eschew a year of guaranteed money + one big fat contract next summer for one big fat contract now. Paul George had a career threatening injury just two seasons ago. How sure are you he wants to give up on 18 million now and then another 18 million for 5 years to...what, sign for 90 million now with a team worse than what he has now? LeBron? We're going to trust him? Really? Even if he comes, it won't be on a multi-year deal, meaning we are left to either cater to a player on the backend of their career (LOVE how that worked out with KB) or lose him and about half of our win total. Is PG happy then? Whose to say he won't sign a one-year flyer like LBJ, bank on the fact that he can keep healthy, and see if this is a team worth playing with, and then leaving if it is not. There's a lot of variables and my point is that I think it is dangerous to pursue less than a sure thing when that pursuit requires you to drop valuable assets now. Some patience and we enter 2020 with virtually all of the young talent we've lost (JC/Nance/DLO) and Moz/Deng still off the books.

The FO has made strong moves, received picks, cleared cap space and that's all well and good but it's come at the expense of talented young players and in pursuit of two older players in far superior situations than ours currently. 2020 and 21 have guys equally as talented as those two that will actually be younger.

It's a high risk/high reward strategy, and maybe you trust the team to get it done, but I don't trust Paul George and LBJ at all and, frankly, that is who we are banking on this summer. Not our FO. Not the rest of the team. We are pinning all our hopes on those two deciding to drop their options and come here...why? Because a dude whose missed half the season can make some fancy reads? Because better-Brian-Cook is, uhm, young? Because our 6'9" power forward is really good at scoring . . . in the post? Because of luke? Why are they coming? No one has actually made a convincing argument that LA is where they should be. Waiting until 2020 allows you to build that argument.

PG is signing long term. Even if he'll opt out in 2020, he'd resign with us. Just cashing in on the 10-year max.

If you have a problem with our FO finally giving a damn about winning then so be it. Live in the frantic MJST bubble.

I'm glad your crystal ball is working; I just hope the FO has one just as good.

As for your second comment, you could not be more off-base.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
I will state that I sometimes fear we are going after the wrong free agents class, thereby forcing us to drop cheap and talented young players to create cap space. I think 2020 is more important as far as FA classes go. Moreover, by that point, we'll be much more sure with what we have on our hands as far as young talent goes, the bad contracts would have expired, and while some of our guys are going to be gearing up for extensions, the cap space would be there and the team could make a firm decision then as to what the central pieces are/should be.

Every year people say the same thing. The next free agent class is better. Guys sign extensions, get traded, injured, opt-in, and the such and poof, free agent class looks weak. Heck, look at this year. It was LeBron, PG, CP3, Westbrook, and Cousins. Now, it's just two of those guys.

Sure, but realize that two of our targets this summer are guys with player options. We are entirely dependent on them deciding that they'd rather eschew a year of guaranteed money + one big fat contract next summer for one big fat contract now. Paul George had a career threatening injury just two seasons ago. How sure are you he wants to give up on 18 million now and then another 18 million for 5 years to...what, sign for 90 million now with a team worse than what he has now? LeBron? We're going to trust him? Really? Even if he comes, it won't be on a multi-year deal, meaning we are left to either cater to a player on the backend of their career (LOVE how that worked out with KB) or lose him and about half of our win total. Is PG happy then? Whose to say he won't sign a one-year flyer like LBJ, bank on the fact that he can keep healthy, and see if this is a team worth playing with, and then leaving if it is not. There's a lot of variables and my point is that I think it is dangerous to pursue less than a sure thing when that pursuit requires you to drop valuable assets now. Some patience and we enter 2020 with virtually all of the young talent we've lost (JC/Nance/DLO) and Moz/Deng still off the books.

The FO has made strong moves, received picks, cleared cap space and that's all well and good but it's come at the expense of talented young players and in pursuit of two older players in far superior situations than ours currently. 2020 and 21 have guys equally as talented as those two that will actually be younger.

It's a high risk/high reward strategy, and maybe you trust the team to get it done, but I don't trust Paul George and LBJ at all and, frankly, that is who we are banking on this summer. Not our FO. Not the rest of the team. We are pinning all our hopes on those two deciding to drop their options and come here...why? Because a dude whose missed half the season can make some fancy reads? Because better-Brian-Cook is, uhm, young? Because our 6'9" power forward is really good at scoring . . . in the post? Because of luke? Why are they coming? No one has actually made a convincing argument that LA is where they should be. Waiting until 2020 allows you to build that argument.

PG is signing long term. Even if he'll opt out in 2020, he'd resign with us. Just cashing in on the 10-year max.

If you have a problem with our FO finally giving a damn about winning then so be it. Live in the frantic MJST bubble.

I'm glad your crystal ball is working; I just hope the FO has one just as good.

As for your second comment, you could not be more off-base.

Look up his comments on the subject. He doesn't want to jump from one team to another. All signs point to him staying with the team that he signs with this summer. No crystal ball, just logic.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject:

I’m so glad Magic and Rob are running the show. There was always this cloud of uncertainty surrounding Jim and Mitch. Aside from the Gasol trade, the Veto (what doomed the franchise for nearly a decade #collusion), and the Howard trade, I can’t think of any noteworthy accomplishments.

I actually credit Kobe for the Gasol trade, since he met him on vacation in Barcelona and even had Dr Buss fly out to meet him in a cathedral during the summer of his trade demand (probably tampering which is why the story wasn’t circulated here, I believe it was only reported on Spanish news sites, translated into English), and the Howard trade, since he was telling the OKC trio (at the time #cheapowner) we were getting him during the Olympics, et al.

I think the Russell trade has worked out for both parties. I had concerns about his knees, 20 year olds on a minutes restriction should not require PRP injections, and his attitude. I also think the Clarkson and Nance trade has worked out as well and that’s difficult since no one wants to be traded to Cleveland.

We thought the additions of Lopez, who is arguably being outplayed by the “bad” brother, and Caldwell-Pope, the doberman defender with a streaky jumpshot, were enough to take the team to the playoffs. While the team has played more competitively this season, we are reminded time and again how hard it is to make the playoffs, without a superstar player, in the West...

I would, personally, prefer Klay Thompson in 2019 instead of the free agents this summer (I made the mistake of using names earlier, so I kept it generic) but this is Magic’s vision and they’ve created the flexibility to add more than one star player in free agency, through those two trades, and if they miss out on the guys they want then they could offer a “fair market” one year contract to attract free agents, like Caldwell-Pope last summer, and try again next summer.

I get the impression that the players like playing for Luke, equal opportunity minutes, and under the new management, vision and direction. The players should know where they stand. I realize the controversy surrounding Julius’ role earlier in the year, but as the leader of the team he stepped up his play. Draymond Green only makes $16 million, so I hope he doesn’t price himself out of LA this summer. I can’t think of a better “team” to make the pitch to free agents this summer and going forward. Magic loves basketball. I didn’t really ever get that impression from Jim, since he never showed his passion.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject:

You've got peeps salivating at giving up Ingram and assets for Kawhi. If you have to sacrifice more top 3 picks to secure your two franchise guys, then it's a failure. Unless you sign two max on top of trading for Kawhi and truly make a super team.

Maginke needs to sign two max "FREE" agents, and I'll give them Julius Randle as the only leeway to get this done if they have to.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject:

Best move here was moving DLO, worst was moving Larry.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject:

They've already made the payments for 2 max FA's, now they need to get delivery or it's a failure.

Nance, JC, Dlo, Nwaba for that 2nd max is a pretty steep price.
Lakersneuron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
I’m so glad Magic and Rob are running the show. There was always this cloud of uncertainty surrounding Jim and Mitch. Aside from the Gasol trade, the Veto (what doomed the franchise for nearly a decade #collusion), and the Howard trade, I can’t think of any noteworthy accomplishments.

I actually credit Kobe for the Gasol trade, since he met him on vacation in Barcelona and even had Dr Buss fly out to meet him in a cathedral during the summer of his trade demand (probably tampering which is why the story wasn’t circulated here, I believe it was only reported on Spanish news sites, translated into English), and the Howard trade, since he was telling the OKC trio (at the time #cheapowner) we were getting him during the Olympics, et al.

I think the Russell trade has worked out for both parties. I had concerns about his knees, 20 year olds on a minutes restriction should not require PRP injections, and his attitude. I also think the Clarkson and Nance trade has worked out as well and that’s difficult since no one wants to be traded to Cleveland.

We thought the additions of Lopez, who is arguably being outplayed by the “bad” brother, and Caldwell-Pope, the doberman defender with a streaky jumpshot, were enough to take the team to the playoffs. While the team has played more competitively this season, we are reminded time and again how hard it is to make the playoffs, without a superstar player, in the West...

I would, personally, prefer Klay Thompson in 2019 instead of the free agents this summer (I made the mistake of using names earlier, so I kept it generic) but this is Magic’s vision and they’ve created the flexibility to add more than one star player in free agency, through those two trades, and if they miss out on the guys they want then they could offer a “fair market” one year contract to attract free agents, like Caldwell-Pope last summer, and try again next summer.

I get the impression that the players like playing for Luke, equal opportunity minutes, and under the new management, vision and direction. The players should know where they stand. I realize the controversy surrounding Julius’ role earlier in the year, but as the leader of the team he stepped up his play. Draymond Green only makes $16 million, so I hope he doesn’t price himself out of LA this summer. I can’t think of a better “team” to make the pitch to free agents this summer and going forward. Magic loves basketball. I didn’t really ever get that impression from Jim, since he never showed his passion.

I caught a Ming post in the wild! I agree with the majority of what you said, but to share two thoughts:

1. Larry loves being in Cleveland given his roots there, while I think JC still believes this is some sort of nightmare he is just waking up from.
2. I like Klay, but I don't think he is a true max contract player. That is to say, a top 5 player in the NBA that can shift the fortunes of your franchise. Example, a Lebron, Kahwi, or Anthony Davis. Maybe I am being greedy expecting one of these players, but if we play well enough next year, maybe it will be possible. We just need PG or LBJ to come on board first, and another will follow. I believe it.
"I don’t give a [expletive] what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations.' Well, [expletive] you. Because I don’t play for your [expletive] approval."
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject:

TBD, but on the positive side.

I would consider a one max a positive, depending on what the other signings are. If it's one max and cap holds, then that's a C+/B-. But if it's one max and a couple of really great value signings, I could see that being as good as 2 max particularly because that's the way I want to go.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject:

We can call it positive once we win our 28th game.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: