Since the Sacramento debacle.....

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mantlehog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Since the Sacramento debacle.....

Our record is 5-9. Remeber how everyone said that game would send us into a tailspin? Well, they were right. I thought Kobe's 81 point game might've gotten us out of it, but it was only a quick fix. Just look at the games we've won since then:

122-104 over Toronto- Kobe needed 81 to get us a win)
106-105 over GS- we played terribly, but won
130-97 over NY- Knicks are a joke
89-78 over Houston-played solid ball that game
94-88 over Utah-tried to blow that game

Yes, we need an infusion of talent on this team. Yes, we need to play better defense. Yes, we need another reliable scorer. But we were playing with a ton of confidence before that Sacramento game. That game set the stage for what is going on now.

Just look at the good teams we've beaten this year prior to that game and look at the teams we lost to after it. Just terrible.

I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this topic.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject:

That game was a definite turning point , especially for lamar, who is having his worst scoring season off his career i believe, last i checked a few days ago its was like 13.8, that simply ridiculous for a #2 option, his rebounds are down from last year as well, his assist are 1.5 up only, shooting percentage down, very dissapointed in lamar odom this year, was expecting a banner year , with phil aboard and its sickening.
PiPisKobesByatch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject:

i've said it before.. but lamar doesn't have the mental capacity to adapt his game.

he only knows how to play one way.. that's an up and down, fastbreak team..

he dies in the halfcourt because he has a poor outside shot, and is unable to take advantage of his quickness off the dribble against a set, half court defense.

wrong player on the wrong team.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject:

PiPisKobesByatch wrote:
i've said it before.. but lamar doesn't have the mental capacity to adapt his game.

he only knows how to play one way.. that's an up and down, fastbreak team..

he dies in the halfcourt because he has a poor outside shot, and is unable to take advantage of his quickness off the dribble against a set, half court defense.

wrong player on the wrong team.

He can post up and drive in the halfcourt set. Especially from the left wing.

You are right about his jumper though. Very inconsistent and not realiable in the halfcourt set.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject:

I said it at the time, also. Losses like the one in Sacramento are the kind that can eat a team from the inside out. Especially when you're talking about a young team still looking for that springboard to really go on a run. I knew that game was gonna haunt this team, and it already is doing so.
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject:

Lamar is not a facilitator/Initiator. Period. He's not a good enough decision-maker. His outside shot is too suspect. Teams can simply play off him, cut off penetration, and force him to (bleep) from outside, which he can't do. The spacing gets destroyed. Lamar is much more effective down low on offense, where he can at least draw fouls, and has a decided advanatage in quickness over most lumbering 4s, and in height over most 3s. PJ is just being stubborn. Lamar IS NOT quick enough on the perimeter when guarded by quick 3s, as evidenced by the frequent offensive fouls he gets called for. On defense, because he lacks ballast, you have to hide him a bit. If he plays down low, he needs a lot of help. Maybe the only option is to play him on the most offensively challnged opposing big on a given night.

The Lakers desperatly need a decent, primary quarterback not named Lamar. he is a good player, but is not playing a position best suited for his skill set. At this point, the best one out there who , while not perfect, would stanch seome of the bleeding would be Watson.

SGH
mantlehog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject:

You're absolutely right HoopsChick. It was obvious as soon as we lost the game that it was a turning point. Look at all our previous games before that. We played with much greater confidence before that game. Losses like that one are severely damaging to a young team.

I agree that Lamar has been more than disappointing this year. He's been a disappointment since the start. He's just not the type player that compliments Kobe or this team well. I will be extremely disappointed if we don't make some moves before the deadline.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: