Dave Smith Letting It Out On 1540 The Ticket
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VicTheBrick
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject:

DAVE SMITH - Feeling you brutha!

Hope all is well at The Sporting News, despite your station's signal being as weak as Sammy Sosa in front of the Federal Grand Jury!

Big Ben Maller sends his best and misses the good ol days of LA sports radio and your once mighty partnership.

Last edited by VicTheBrick on Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject:

Hey Dave, that story today about your dad's reaction when you got beat up was priceless. I think those exchange you used to have with Roger Lodge was some of the funniest stuff I ever heard on radio. Like your show but I think you work best when you have a partner whereby you guys can feed off each other.
sportsgod
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject:

We boosted the signal this year, but it's never going to be as strong as the other sports stations. Listen on the net or buy one of those CC Crane radios. My parents live in central California and can hear the show every day with this radio.

The signal will be much better once daylight savings ends and it stays light until 8PM. All of Orange County will be covered. But now, the signal begins to cut out as soon as it gets dark.

That was a true story about my father's reaction to my getting my ass whipped!
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject:

Dave who?
unggoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject:

VicTheBrick wrote:

Hope all is well at The Sporting News, despite your station's signal being as weak as midget in the WWE Royal Rumble!

Big Ben Maller sends his best and misses the good ol days of LA sports radio and your once mighty partnership.

I have no idea if it's really Vic or not, but I will say this - my brother and I first met him at an SC/UCLA football game at the Coliseum several years ago, and we chatted for a while outside the stadium, just talking college football. It was time to go in, and he walked with us all the way up to the gates, just talking about stuff - sports, his background, his show, Laker haiku, everything. I have never, EVER met a cooler radio or TV or newspaper guy here in LA. Chet Forte did nothing but bad mouth Junior Seau when I talked to him. We saw Youngman in Vegas for a De la Hoya fight and he was big-timing everyone! Hartman was pretty cool, and Rome..... well, he was cool when he was just a local guy. But outside of Tom Kelly (not "shotgun" Tom Kelly, but the former SC announcer) and Vin Scully, I haven't met a cooler radio/TV guy in LA than Vic
twentyfootlayup
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Dave Smith Letting It Out On 1540 The Ticket

eniq 0x00 wrote:
MasTaFUsion wrote:
Ripping Sasha to shreads, ripping Luke, and Mitch

says Dr Buss should say "you're fired if you don't improve this move...I don't want excuses, I want action...."

8)
This is great stuff!

DAVE SMITH!

:roll:

Yet another stupid radio personality, or rather lack-of-personality, giving his useless opinion. What makes this idiot think Buss isn't trying to get something done? Perhaps moves require planning and a desire on the part of the other team to deal with us?

If you want a scapegoat, blame Shaq-the idiot who dismantled the team with his pettiness.

word !

preach the truth baby, cuz that is exactly what happened ....

snaq IS/WAS the main reson for the laker demise
Ozendorph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject:

Dave - a reduction in "funny" sound effects and sound bites would make your show more tolerable. Feel free to share this tip with Tony Bruno as well.
Savory Griddles
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject:

pgbball wrote:
DocK36 wrote:
Dave Smith actually have a very good show, it's funny as heck and he doesn't take himself too seriously. Try calling up guys like fat Joe or Rome and disagree with them and see how fast they shut you up and get rid of you.
More and more I can't stand Hartman, especially when he brings up his idiotic view on politics. Vic is OK and he balances out the hate. Mychal Thompson actually is a pretty funny and likeable guy.

Positives about Dave Smith's show:
1. Allows callers to make statements.
2. Dave presents comical elements to his topics.
3. Dave is not afraid to ask direct questions to his professional guests.

Negatives about Dave Smith's show:
1. When Dave believes he is right, he doesn't give the other side the benefit of the doubt. Dave talks as if his basketball knowledge is way above everyone else's. Last year, he was trying to push James Thomas (alum from Texas) to the Lakers and presenting it like everyone is so dumb that they cannot see what this guy can do. I wonder where this James Thomas is right now? This year all you hear him talk about lately is Danny Fortson and Ruben Patterson as key to what the Lakers are missing. They may help some but definitely not difference makers.

2. Most callers are repeat callers who either has complemented Dave in the past or someone who he is familiar with in terms of arguments.
If he disagrees with you, he'll shut you down by saying "thanking you very much for your call" and then immediately after refute your comments with his points and you cannot respond anymore because your phone call has already been dropped.

3. Too many Dave Smith groupies, callers who can't tell facts from fiction and are easily swayed by Dave Smith statements.

4. Too much self-promo and propaganda about him and his radio station.

That's just about the most perfect breakdown I have ever seen for a talk show. The one thing you left out is 1540's signal sucks nads. I live in the OC and have trouble hearing him over the Mariachi music.
Savory Griddles
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject:

VicTheBrick wrote:

Hope all is well at The Sporting News, despite your station's signal being as weak as midget in the WWE Royal Rumble!

We can now put top rest this guy being Vic the Brick. Vic is the most politically correct dude on the planet. He would never refer to someone as a midget nor make any disparaging remarks about little people.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject:

sportsgod wrote:
I'm enjoying all the banter about my show and love all the feedback, positive or negative. As for my cutting off callers who disagree, that's not true. Only when we need to break, because I have to let the call go. I think anyone who listens will agree that give people who think I'm an idiot more time than any other show.

Where's corndog when you need him:

"Dave, you are WRONG!".

Just playin' with you, I love the show, and I do hear callers that disagree with you on the air. I wish you would ban that Efrin idiot though. And I for one love the sound bytes. They give me a good laugh.

I disagree with you on Sprewell. Yes, he sounds nice on paper, but I think all the baggage he carries with him is just too much for these young guys to handle.

I would love Patterson and Fortson though. Both fit the 2007/8 plan and both bring some toughness to this soft roster. I haven't heard you say who you'd be willing to trade to get them though. Kobe and Bynum are the only untouchables, but I wouldn't trade Lamar or Mihm for either of those guys. If we could get either of them for expiring contracts (George/Slava) I'd be all for it.

Love the show, keep up the good work.
vandido626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject:

Dave Smith is Brokeback

Love the show, by far the best in LA. The only negative is the signal.
turbulent
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject:

Ill take the vicman's "light" with moderation. Even light can be blinding..BE a fan, but be an honest fan.(as if it were possible.. )

Last edited by turbulent on Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject:

angel wrote:
Dave who?

I second that.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject:

Dave. Can you please tell Jeanie and Kurt that LO is not an answer.. for anything
LA NATIVE
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject:

Ozendorph wrote:
Dave - a reduction in "funny" sound effects and sound bites would make your show more tolerable. Feel free to share this tip with Tony Bruno as well.

I disagree Fred Rogin is the one who over does it. Dave has some of the most hilarious sound bites on the radio. Tell Corndeezy to keep it up.

Also Dave I really think you can do without that mariachi band you always have in studio.
When they ask me about Shaq, I say, 'I love Shaq, but [screw] Miami.' It is what it is. I'm a Laker and I bleed purple and gold and if you ain't down with the Lakers, f--- you, straight up.-Snoop Dogg
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject:

VicTheBrick wrote:
TJ as always is in total darkness, he needs to embrace the light. He's never a good idea to book as a guest on sports radio.

That's because his intellect would smother Vic and Hartman.
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject:

Dave Smith rules baby.
The only competition he has is good times with Matt Money Smith and Joe Grande. Love the laker talk a huge positive. your analysis is usually right on and you made a name for yourself amongst laker fans by calling out Shaq all these years. I know that some of your topics come from this message board so that is always cool. It seems like you get some of your laker info here. I like your anaylis of the Dodgers but i dont like the brooklyn thing but hey thats just cause I am a fan.

The only negative about the show is Efraim from LA. The guy is a total ass along with Jeff from Tarzana.

keep up the good work.
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject:

TJ " The Hater " Simers is nothing but trash.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject:

DaggerInTheHeart wrote:

If TJ was a hater, that would be true. But he isn't. You need to read him carefully.
Savory Griddles
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
DaggerInTheHeart wrote:

If TJ was a hater, that would be true. But he isn't. You need to read him carefully.

Exactly. TJ is a good writer, just misunderstood by the ignorant.
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject:

LA NATIVE wrote:
Ozendorph wrote:

I disagree Fred Rogin is the one who over does it. Dave has some of the most hilarious sound bites on the radio. Tell Corndeezy to keep it up.

Also Dave I really think you can do without that mariachi band you always have in studio.

I agree Fred Roggins show is like a big game show. Very little sports content. He might as well have balloons, clowns and confetti in the studio. Hartman kills the loose cannons show. Big joe was good until he went overboard with the Shaq as kissing. Dave is money, I also like the good times show.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Ozendorph wrote:

Jim Healy made a career of that. "Who goofed, I have to know!"
unggoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Kobe>T-mac wrote:

The only competition he has is good times with Matt Money Smith and Joe Grande.

I certainly respect your opinion on this, but wow, Grande might be the worst all-time in the history of sports talk radio. He doesn't know how to pronounce the names most of the time, and I swear he must get paid to say 'right there'... as in, 'that was a good game right there'...

Speaking of mispronouncing names, there is a black tennis player named James Blake. B-L-A-K-E. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Blake

Hacksaw repeatedly calls him James Black. I thought it was just a mistake the first time I heard it about 3 months ago. Then he kept saying it... over and over again. For as much as Hacksaw knows, he has to know a prominent tennis player's name. I just don't think you make that same mistake that many times.
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject:

unggoy wrote:
Kobe>T-mac wrote:

The only competition he has is good times with Matt Money Smith and Joe Grande.

I certainly respect your opinion on this, but wow, Grande might be the worst all-time in the history of sports talk radio. He doesn't know how to pronounce the names most of the time, and I swear he must get paid to say 'right there'... as in, 'that was a good game right there'...

Speaking of mispronouncing names, there is a black tennis player named James Blake. B-L-A-K-E. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Blake

Hacksaw repeatedly calls him James Black. I thought it was just a mistake the first time I heard it about 3 months ago. Then he kept saying it... over and over again. For as much as Hacksaw knows, he has to know a prominent tennis player's name. I just don't think you make that same mistake that many times.

Yes you are right about Grande he is garbage. I really enjoy Matt Smith though. The guy has a good analysis. It would be great if they could put Roger Lodge on that show. Matts postgame Laker show is also better than larry Burnetts. larry would tend to be too condescending on air.
rebirth
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Dave Smith rocks!! I would love to see a one on one no holds barred interview with Mitch.. come on dave, sink the pink!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: