Is this Lebron James quote about the modern NBA true?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Is this Lebron James quote about the modern NBA true?

Quote:
"There's no reason I should be going to the line four times in a game when I drive 100 times to the paint and I'm getting hit and slapped and grabbed and whatever and what not. We protect the shooter. That's what it's turned into. Chicks dig the long ball and that's what it's about."

--Lebron James
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject:

HILARIOUS. #Lebroning

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject:

not sure if his claim is completely accurate....but he is fouled and does not get the call more often than many players. The slaps and contact just does not have the same visual effect because of his size and strength, and the refs do not blow the whistle. Compare it to Isaiah Thomas last season where the refs would blow the whistle if anyone even got near him. I think it is partly human nature to blow the whistle based more on visual effect instead of the actual action that takes place.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
not sure if his claim is completely accurate....but he is fouled and does not get the call more often than many players. The slaps and contact just does not have the same visual effect because of his size and strength, and the refs do not blow the whistle. Compare it to Isaiah Thomas last season where the refs would blow the whistle if anyone even got near him. I think it is partly human nature to blow the whistle based more on visual effect instead of the actual action that takes place.

The same thing happened to Randle in today's game. Not sure if it's been true of Randle consistently this season b/c I haven't been paying attention, but I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject:

It’s Shaq syndrome. Other guys get fouls for driving.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:00 am    Post subject:

fouls are based on your rsbq (rhythm, speed, balance, or quickness) being impacted, not on actual contact. If the contact has no noticeable impact, it's not a foul.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:03 am    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
fouls are based on your rsbq (rhythm, speed, balance, or quickness) being impacted, not on actual contact. If the contact has no noticeable impact, it's not a foul.

And this is why James Harden has his choreographed routine down to a science.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject:

kind of related.....still bothers me that a player must fall down to draw a charge. There is nothing in the NBA definition (below) that requires one player to collapse to the floor, yet you will almost never see a player draw a charging foul unless they flop to the floor. If you have ever played basketball competitively...how many times did someone truly hit you so hard that it dislodged your feet from the ground to a point it upended your whole body? Everyone despises flopping, yet I was taught to flop from the time I was a little kid to draw a charging foul on the ball handler.

Quote:
NBA - What is Charging?
A foul called when an offensive player collides with a defensive player who is stationary and has both feet firmly planted on the floor. The defensive player has to be in that established position before the offensive player's head or shoulder gets by him. When a charging foul is called, the offense loses its possession and the player who committed the foul is charged with a personal foul and a turnover. When an offensive player makes a basket while committing a charging foul, the basket does not count.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Considering the officiating of the entire season and not just the "missing" foul calls in the paint and the quick whistles along the perimeter, I'm not surprised.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
RoyalPurple8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject:

Honestly, and I am just making an observation. First I love LBJ, and I did not vote for Trump. But imagine if Trump said something like "chicks dig the longball", there would be an uproar over social media .

And go ahead and say well Trump is the president and Lebron just dribbles and shoots. I think that would be contradictory to Lebron's other complaint about society is it shouldnt matter if he just plays basketball.

"Chicks dig the longball" is basically saying that women only like whats trending and hot.

I do agree with Lebron however that shooters are well protected and players such as himself, dont get the same treatment. Which imo, is part of the reason why the NBA is not as entertaining or fun to watch anymore.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject:

RoyalPurple8 wrote:
"Chicks dig the longball" is basically saying that women only like whats trending and hot.

I think your missing the meaning....the saying comes from baseball....and its referencing that the home run is always the attention getter...the most exciting play. Is it slightly misogynistic? Sure...but its pretty innocent.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject:

I actually agree with him. Playing for hte foul and not even making an attempt to score is more often rewarded than being actually fouled while trying to make a basket. With how Lebron plays there's no way under God's green earth a guy like Harden who traps defenders arms should have 80% more fta's than Bron does.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: