Does I.T. have a chance to earn a real spot on this team going forward?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Honestly would rather have KCP on a 1 year deal again over IT. His defense, shooting and rebounding are underrated on this team.

KCP is wildly inconsistent. He is currently on a streak of good games. But it's too early imo. He still needs to keep this up for at least another ~10 games before making a decision

But folks taking 5-6 games of IT and turning down LBJ now?

Come on, I respect your theory... but it is still just that even though a reasonable one. Unless we hear PG actually say he requires another elite then lets not take it as canonical fact.

If he declares that openly... then yes that would be the course to take... but if we don't know that for a fact... one of the many other scenarios including Randle/IT/Lopez/Dedmon etc... are all worth entertaining.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Honestly would rather have KCP on a 1 year deal again over IT. His defense, shooting and rebounding are underrated on this team.

KCP is wildly inconsistent. He is currently on a streak of good games. But it's too early imo. He still needs to keep this up for at least another ~10 games before making a decision

Come on, I respect your theory... but it is still just that even though a reasonable one. Unless we hear PG actually say he requires another elite then lets not take it as canonical fact.

If he declares that openly... then yes that would be the course to take... but if we don't know that for a fact... one of the many other scenarios including Randle/IT/Lopez/Dedmon etc... are all worth entertaining.

You don’t see his bromance with WB? You need to present a counter bromance and IT isn’t it.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject:

yeah...KCP over IT any day
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

You don’t see his bromance with WB? You need to present a counter bromance and IT isn’t it.

I do and that's why your theory has some merit... but it could be that he just connects with WB... maybe he's just being a polite teammate... but many of the scenarios here have their own upsides which are mainly longer windows of success and less FO meddling so we should keep our minds open and see how they all play out.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Just for fun

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject:

If we whiff on 2 guys, yeah IT will be here.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I do and that's why your theory has some merit... but it could be that he just connects with WB... maybe he's just being a polite teammate... but many of the scenarios here have their own upsides which are mainly longer windows of success and less FO meddling so we should keep our minds open and see how they all play out.

It’s iust how it works with these guys. PG is turning 28 next year and having s similarly aged star in WB is just comforting. He’s almost like an uncle to the kids like Lonzo and BI. Need to give him a compelling star FA to join him. That’s why magic and Pelinka probably and correctly believe it 2 stars or 0 this summer.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:

No more than 1 year hopefully.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
2019 wrote:

No more than 1 year hopefully.

and he sits out with hip surgery and we get an exception
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

It’s iust how it works with these guys. PG is turning 28 next year and having s similarly aged star in WB is just comforting. He’s almost like an uncle to the kids like Lonzo and BI. Need to give him a compelling star FA to join him. That’s why magic and Pelinka probably and correctly believe it 2 stars or 0 this summer.

There are equal age gaps in the other direction with LeBron... maybe he wants a big brother/daddy figure... maybe he wants to be the mentor... maybe he wants a peer. All of this is pure supposition. Again, I don't deny your theory might be true, but all I'm saying is let's not assume it's fact unless he says so. They do get along, I see that... but I have friends more than ten years older and younger than me so I don't assume that means you cannot relate.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject:

HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:
waterman40 wrote:
A 1 year prove it deal with the Lakers for $18 million, basically taking the money we paid either KCP or Lopez this year.

If that's how much we'll have remaining after PG & Randle, I'd rather offer IT $10-12M/yr ($23M 1+1?) and Dedmon $6-8M/yr ($20M/3yr).

Ball/IT/Caruso
George/Hart
Ingram/?
Randle/Kuzma/Deng
Dedmon/Zubac/Bryant

We can exceed the cap to sign IT and Randle. So you can give Dedmon a $10 million per contract and give IT + Randle max money if you wanted to (not that I would necessarily do any of those).

I'd match Randle at most at 18 million per. If he ends up taking less, I'd be willing to use that extra money on a multi-year deal on a center like Dedmon. Sign IT on a 1-year to the most we can without hitting the luxury tax on the miniscule chance that he takes the room exception in 2019 should we score another free agent.

Last edited by gng930 on Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

There are equal age gaps in the other direction with LeBron... maybe he wants a big brother/daddy figure... maybe he wants to be the mentor... maybe he wants a peer. All of this is pure supposition. Again, I don't deny your theory might be true, but all I'm saying is let's not assume it's fact unless he says so. They do get along, I see that... but I have friends more than ten years older and younger than me so I don't assume that means you cannot relate.

Though it's partially fan optimism. more reasons to believe PG comes without Lebron:

1) He was supposedly wanting to come here when we had no stars, no Lonzo, no Kuzma, and Randle/BI coming off disappointing seasons.
2) IT may still be considered a star in many circles and has 20 games left to prove it
3) Selling him on another free agent in 2019
4) He's constantly grumbling about the lack of calls he gets playing on small market teams.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Though it's partially fan optimism. more reasons to believe PG comes without Lebron:

1) He was supposedly wanting to come here when we had no stars, no Lonzo, no Kuzma, and Randle/BI coming off disappointing seasons.
2) IT may still be considered a star in many circles and has 20 games left to prove it
3) Selling him on another free agent in 2019
4) He's constantly grumbling about the lack of calls he gets playing on small market teams.

It wasn't supposedly... he actually said he wanted to come here. He has backtracked some at OKC but all of those are good points.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:

It wasn't supposedly... he actually said he wanted to come here. He has backtracked some at OKC but all of those are good points.

I think the statements made during the All-Star game could be construed as platitudes for the hosting team and his hometown. The statements that's been speculated he made last summer sounded more definitive.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject:

With the way Thomas is playing now I would like to see him back on the team.
Big Shot Bob
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject:

If we land PG13 but don't get anyone else, I'm all for throwing a $40m/3yr deal at IT and a $20m/2yr deal at Brook, provided that we can bring Julius back.

IT has to be good with a 6th man role, though. If we do then want to pursue another big name guy next summer, IT, Brook and Deng's contracts would be relatively easy to move.

We need to be in playoff mode next year, and IT can help us there...as long as he's OK with being the 6th man.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Big Shot Bob wrote:
If we land PG13 but don't get anyone else, I'm all for throwing a $40m/3yr deal at IT and a $20m/2yr deal at Brook, provided that we can bring Julius back.

IT has to be good with a 6th man role, though. If we do then want to pursue another big name guy next summer, IT, Brook and Deng's contracts would be relatively easy to move.

We need to be in playoff mode next year, and IT can help us there...as long as he's OK with being the 6th man.

IT is probably okay with a 6th man role, if he is getting close to 24-30 minutes a game. Hmmm... 3 years $40 million is a little on the risky side, unless that includes dumping Deng as part of the plan.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't mind a 1 year deal with him coming off the bench and signing PG and bringing back Randle.
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject:

There's really no reason to sign IT to anything more than a 1 year deal, if we get PG and no LBJ that means we go after 2019 or 2020 FA's while letting our core grow with PG. If IT wants a 1 year deal to do that then great but if he wants a multi-year deal then I don't think we give up going for another max in 2019 or 2020 to keep him.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject:

Agree...we should take ourselves out of the 2019 sweepstakes to retain IT, Brook, or KCP. Limit any multi-year contracts (including Randle's) to about $20 million total. A balloon 1-year deal for IT makes sense for both sides. KCP is extraneous with PG. Brook will be tough to replace though as Randle is best starting alongside a stretch 5.
Doc JC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:29 am    Post subject:

Brook would be ticketed for the mid level expection.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:02 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
Agree...we should take ourselves out of the 2019 sweepstakes to retain IT, Brook, or KCP. Limit any multi-year contracts (including Randle's) to about $20 million total. A balloon 1-year deal for IT makes sense for both sides. KCP is extraneous with PG. Brook will be tough to replace though as Randle is best starting alongside a stretch 5.

Like your Death Line-Up LA edition: JR, LBJ, BI, PG, Lonzo

Then we have Kuzma and Hart as our main rotation guys with Zubac when we need more size. Add a couple more 3D guys and we are playing for rings!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:

Did you mean we "shouldn't take ourselves out..."
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
gng930 wrote:

Like your Death Line-Up LA edition: JR, LBJ, BI, PG, Lonzo

Then we have Kuzma and Hart as our main rotation guys with Zubac when we need more size. Add a couple more 3D guys and we are playing for rings!

That lineup can compete for a championship. With the growth expected from Lonzo/BI/Jules as well as the rest of our young core.

Crazy thing is Lonzo/BI/Kuz/Hart make less than Love combined, and have more impact collectively. You need that kind of flexible and cheap contracts.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject:

I've really appreciated how IT has worked to fit in while still bringing his game, but in terms of bringing him back, unless he were willing to indefinitely play the JC type role, which he won't, I don't think it happens.

For me, while I think IT can bring back a good deal of his game he is always going to be undersized at his position, and if loses even a touch of athleticism it's really going to impact his effectiveness as it relates to his offensive game, I also think his other deficiencies are going to become more glaring.

So, with that history of hip injury, I just don't see them giving IT a long term big money deal. If he took a big 1 year deal? I could see a scenario where that would be possible.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: