GT v Duncan Wrestlemania 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Can’t wait to hear his passive aggressive shots at “uneducated, hive minded” Laker fans on their next pod. Dude seems petty af.
Vadorojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
Can’t wait to hear his passive aggressive shots at “uneducated, hive minded” Laker fans on their next pod. Dude seems petty af.

That seems like giving him a win. For many folks in the media, any publicity is good publicity because clicks/downloads generate ad revenue. I'm not familiar with Nate Duncan, but if he's in the business of hot takes and operates under normal media revenue streams, looking forward to his pod to hear his takes is just what he wants.

Meanwhile, GT doesn't play the same ad revenue game (as he reminds us at the end of every LFR video). He's simply trying to make quality, Laker-driven content.
Xfactor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Someone on Twitter posted this: https://twitter.com/StoryfromTHEast/status/970395372232179712

Between dismissing LFR as a fan account and the Lakers hive reference, he comes across as as a sensitive, self-important "expert" who doesn't know his ego is getting in his own way.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject:

GT right now

https://youtu.be/_V-rCP-UeeY?t=1m45s
jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
GT has the way sexier sounding voice; that's for sure

I've played GT's videos in the company of no less than 5 lady folk and they all say he got a nice voice

and then I be like

FIRST OF ALL GWORL MINES BETTER

After that I be like, I KNEW HIM FIRST SO BACK OFF

City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Xfactor wrote:

Between dismissing LFR as a fan account and the Lakers hive reference, he comes across as as a sensitive, self-important "expert" who doesn't know his ego is getting in his own way.

Sounds like he'd fit right in on LG

!...
Xfactor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
Xfactor wrote:

Sounds like he'd fit right in on LG

Touche
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject:

Xfactor wrote:
Someone on Twitter posted this: https://twitter.com/StoryfromTHEast/status/970395372232179712

Yeah, you have to be a real Professional NBA Opinion Haver to call out Nate Duncan on his unholy Laker takes!
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Vadorojo wrote:
AY2043 wrote:

That seems like giving him a win. For many folks in the media, any publicity is good publicity because clicks/downloads generate ad revenue. I'm not familiar with Nate Duncan, but if he's in the business of hot takes and operates under normal media revenue streams, looking forward to his pod to hear his takes is just what he wants.

Meanwhile, GT doesn't play the same ad revenue game (as he reminds us at the end of every LFR video). He's simply trying to make quality, Laker-driven content.

To be clear, I’ve been a regular listener to his pod for the last few months, and in general the produce some pretty solid content. After it came out that this dude is a complete jackass, I’m unsubbing from their pod. But I’m sure I’ll see something about it on Twitter or here
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Xfactor wrote:

Funny that he’d let a “fan account” get so far under his skin that he’d address it on Twitter and then come on to the website where he knows the “fan” is a moderator and try and address it further.
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Vadorojo wrote:

Yep. GT doesn’t have to pander because his content is so solid.

If you watch a Lakers Film Room session, one of the first thing you notice is that Pete lets the content speak for itself. For example, he’ll first describe a play the Lakers run, then show an example while NOT (like nearly every analyst) talking over the whole f*cking thing. Pete gives the viewer credit and doesn’t insult his or her intelligence, whereas people like Duncan force feed you their hot takes while cramming their “analysis” down your throat. Pete doesn’t do hot takes. He doesn’t need to - his content is that good. If anything, he doesn’t hot take enough in a click-baity gig where hot taking is rewarded. He’s found a really good balance with LFR. There’s a reason his content resonates and his work has been successful, and it’s not merely because he covers the most popular NBA team.

And f*ck Duncan. His content is trash, and he admitted in the Ingram thread that he doesn’t watch that much ball, Lakers or otherwise. Before this kerfuffle, I didn’t even know who Duncan is. I did a little homework, and in interviews, he makes certain to let you know that he’s a lawyer, as if that’s some sort of accomplishment or indicator that you can competently analyze basketball. It isn’t. It just means you went to a few extra years of college and passed the bar exam. David Kahn is an attorney, for crying out loud. Doesn’t mean he knew anything about the game, which he consistently demonstrated he didn’t.

It’s like a twist on the old joke:
“How do you know if someone is a lawyer or not?”
“I don’t know.”
“He’ll tell you.”

That’s Duncan in a nutshell. And he isn’t special. Just as an example, I’m sure he has no idea how many attorneys there are on LG. The answer is tons.

Give me GT, Zach Lowe, Haralbob Voulgaris, Tom Ziller, or even Bill Simmons every day of the week over Duncan.

Last edited by Lowest Merion on Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject:

I don't know anything about this guy but he comes off as a tad immature to me.

Doesn't appreciate being called a hater because he disagrees with someone………refers to someone who disagrees with him as a "fan account" and everyone else as a "hive mind". Now I'm not the smartest knife in the shed but I'm sure there's some irony in there somewhere.

Probably my biggest issue with social media is folks being too damn touchy.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject:

Well my thing is, I kind of don't care that much about how he hangs with NBA scouts/personnel. If the articles I've read are legit, I practically disagree with a lot of them out there anyway, so why should I believe in his analysis?

It may be fine for the rest of the league, but I think the rest of the league is in a box.

Ingram is outlier development
Lonzo is outlier team defense and +/- without typical big scoring numbers

Box thinking says they can maybe turn into good players. But, elevate the thought process and it's possible that both players can become franchise players, and it doesn't have to do with elite athleticism for Brandon Ingram or killer scoring for Lonzo Ball.

Basketball reference/synergy alone isn't going to tell the story that diehard Laker fans have been witnessing.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
https://twitter.com/lakerfilmroom/status/970383194762625024?s=21

Bang!!!!

That's an ender.

From the tweet,

'I'm not a D-list rapper that needs to have beef with someone in order to drum up interest in what I do.'

God that's cold.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
To be clear, I’ve been a regular listener to his pod for the last few months, and in general the produce some pretty solid content. After it came out that this dude is a complete jackass, I’m unsubbing from their pod. But I’m sure I’ll see something about it on Twitter or here

I unsubscribed last week. I really have no problem with our opinion disagreements....I mean there are guys that I would highly recommend that I often disagree with....but Duncan has became very pompous over the last year, is definitely not putting in the work he once did proven by his many stale and narrative driven takes....but worst of all, it has became clear he is unable to separate his personal feelings about players/teams to provide accurate analysis of what is taking place on the court.
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:35 am    Post subject:

Duncan is a tool and GT is on the right end of this spat. However, this escalation of this whole thing is just stupid! We have a thread about this??? Lakers are winning and rising and we should be talking about that and GT would agree!
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:43 am    Post subject:

LakerEric wrote:
Duncan is a tool and GT is on the right end of this spat. However, this escalation of this whole thing is just stupid! We have a thread about this??? Lakers are winning and rising and we should be talking about that and GT would agree!

Agreed we should just ignore all further posts and move on. There are more important things in life like the Laker's winning.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:49 am    Post subject:

He says he watches 15 games or so of each team. that's not enough to have a reallllly accurate assessment. well, it's enough to be deceived. I understand it's kind of impossible to watch more than that, and I don't blame him for being wrong.
His Ingram take wasn't tooo tepid when he actually explained it. That's the thing......When you omit context for a ranking - you're going to piss off the fanbase, and create buzz/talk. Orrrrr.... you could fully explain your take (he thinks Ingram has a chance to be a #2 on a good team) , you could not piss off that fanbase, but also not generate talk/buzz. I wonder if he withheld his context on purpose... I'd have to think so, he's been catching backlash forever on the Ingram take, and he hasn't explained his true stance on Twitter in all those months.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:45 am    Post subject:

Yeah I don't listen to Nate's product. That only furthers the problem of flaky clickbait hot take analysis replacing solid journalism. Wading into LG with a 'hive mind' comment showed that his arrogance isn't directed solely towards GT, it's towards anyone critical of him.

That's a telltale sign that a few layers down he's not confident with his own work and lets bias take over where analysis and sound judgement is lacking. All from a lack of analytic resources to draw from because he's trying to cover 30 teams. It's pretty obvious by his rankings, which might as well be a ranking of eyeballed leaping ability, that Nate needs analytic help.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:59 am    Post subject:

I didn't know who Nate Duncan was. After briefly seeing how this went down, I'm glad I didn't. Pete is one of the nicest dudes you could meet.

I can't put it as eloquently as LM did ( ), but let's just say that I agree with his sentiments.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:06 am    Post subject:

Lowest Merion wrote:

And f*ck Duncan. His content is trash, and he admitted in the Ingram thread that he doesn’t watch that much ball, Lakers or otherwise.

..in interviews, he makes certain to let you know that he’s a lawyer, as if that’s some sort of accomplishment or indicator that you can competently analyze basketball. It isn’t.

David Kahn is an attorney, for crying out loud.

LM with the well-deserved and accurate hammer!

That was the posting equivalent of what Harden did to Wes Johnson the other night.

trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:09 am    Post subject:

What in tarnation is going on here?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:12 am    Post subject:

Lowest Merion wrote:
Vadorojo wrote:

Yep. GT doesn’t have to pander because his content is so solid.

Yep GT is like Daniel Bryan(Bryan Danielson) in that regard
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject:

Alright all... locking this thread. I think its run its course. Good show of support for one of our own LG!

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: