Jeanie Buss On The Trade With The Cavs: "I Really Appreciated The Process. Not Only Did Magic and Rob Sit Down With Me, They Brought The Analytics Department"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Jeanie Buss On The Trade With The Cavs: "I Really Appreciated The Process. Not Only Did Magic and Rob Sit Down With Me, They Brought The Analytics Department"

Saw this on Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/lakers/comments/821jn1/jeanie_on_trade_with_cle_i_really_appreciated_the/

The difference between working with individuals using modern technology/advanced data vs the old FO is staggering.

It’s especially a huge plus compared to say, the Deng and Mozgov signings, two of the most useless players in the league to near 4 year near 20 mill deals, compared to KCP and Lopez, two contributing starters on one year deals.

Well done Magic and Rob.

Last edited by Megaton on Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject:

jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject:

jjangx27 wrote:
Judah wrote:

splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeanie Buss On The Trade With The Cavs: "I Really Appreciated The Process. Not Only Did Magic and Rob Sit Down With Me, They Brought The Analytics Department"

Megaton wrote:
Saw this on Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/lakers/comments/821jn1/jeanie_on_trade_with_cle_i_really_appreciated_the/

The difference between working with individuals using modern technology/advanced data vs the old FO is staggering.

It’s especially a huge plus compared to say, the Deng and Mozgov signings, two of the most useless players in the league to near 4 year near 20 mill deals, compared to KCP and Lopez, two contributing starters on one year deals.

Well done Magic and Rob.
the part you're talking about is not what jeanie is happy about.

she's happy that she was actually involved. something her bro did not do. they did not get along at all. he stayed on his side and she stayed on hers. problem doing that is it doesnt work well once dad past away. you can't not tell your boss whats going on with big moves. even the good ones.

she was happy that magic and rob trusted her basketball mind enough to be involved in the entire process.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeanie Buss On The Trade With The Cavs: "I Really Appreciated The Process. Not Only Did Magic and Rob Sit Down With Me, They Brought The Analytics Department"

splashmtn wrote:
Megaton wrote:
Saw this on Reddit.

Well done Magic and Rob.

she's happy that she was actually involved. something her bro did not do. they did not get along at all. he stayed on his side and she stayed on hers. problem doing that is it doesnt work well once dad past away. you can't not tell your boss whats going on with big moves. even the good ones.

she was happy that magic and rob trusted her basketball mind enough to be involved in the entire process.

Both are good news: the entire FO working together AND being open to analytics instead of being stuck in the past.
LawyerShawn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Jeannie should not be revealing the methodology of the front office, i.e. statistic as a guiding force etc.
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject:

Well to be fair what’s she gonna say? She hired them so of course it’s her credibility and in her best interest to say “yay it was perfect!”

But that said. Who cares. Lakers!!!
kentu_tiro
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject:

Funny they had to bring in analytics while presenting the deal to Jeannie. They could have just pulled Eric Pincus to the room to explain in layman's term what the deal brings.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject:

Did they bring up rpm? Heh
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject:

Trust the Process?
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject:

LawyerShawn wrote:
Jeannie should not be revealing the methodology of the front office, i.e. statistic as a guiding force etc.

As if it were a secret

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject:

Maybe she was trying to help Mitch secure that next job...
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeanie Buss On The Trade With The Cavs: "I Really Appreciated The Process. Not Only Did Magic and Rob Sit Down With Me, They Brought The Analytics Department"

splashmtn wrote:
Megaton wrote:
Saw this on Reddit.

Well done Magic and Rob.

Why is she supposed to be involved.

Someone who doesn't know anything about basketball should not be involved in basketball decisions. That's what Dr buss originally did after all! He let jerry west make the decisions, at one time west was gonna resign when dr buss wanted a certain trade. But we all know what happened and how many championships we won.

Owners should not interfere with basketball decisions. They hire a front office for a reason
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Jeanie Buss On The Trade With The Cavs: "I Really Appreciated The Process. Not Only Did Magic and Rob Sit Down With Me, They Brought The Analytics Department"

Chronicle wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Megaton wrote:
Saw this on Reddit.

Well done Magic and Rob.

Someone who doesn't know anything about basketball should not be involved in basketball decisions. That's what Dr buss originally did after all! He let jerry west make the decisions, at one time west was gonna resign when dr buss wanted a certain trade. But we all know what happened and how many championships we won.

Owners should not interfere with basketball decisions. They hire a front office for a reason

How false do you want to be with this one bro?

Dr. Buss was involved in literally EVERY decision and is famously quoted as saying, 'I'd rather trade a player a year early than a year too late.'

It was always a team of decision makers.

Owners should rely on the people they hire to do their jobs yes...but owners are responsible for the forward progression of their business and should absolutely have a say in the proposed moves their brain trust wants to make.

If they have a compelling move to be made then they ABSOLUTELY should be able to explain the benefits and risks to the person who signs the front of their checks so everyone from Ownership, to FO, to the Coaching Staff can be unified in how they move forward.

To work unilaterally as Jimbo tried to do does not work...literally EVER in business.

FO sets up the deals and understands the immediate impact to the roster and how the move impacts the future flexibility. Coaching staff has to be included in that...why shouldn't the owner?

#TeamWorkMakesTheDreamWork

#BannersOverBillboards
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Jeanie Buss On The Trade With The Cavs: "I Really Appreciated The Process. Not Only Did Magic and Rob Sit Down With Me, They Brought The Analytics Department"

Jeannie not being involved in the past was part of the agreement she had with her brother. They didn't get along and it's their fault, both of them.

That's why that sibling rivalry was the worst thing for the organization. I'm not a fan of either one, I'm just glad the organization is all on the same page. Just a pity Mitch was caught in the cross fire.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:18 am    Post subject:

Shaber wrote:
LawyerShawn wrote:

As if it were a secret

I'm thrilled to know they had some input.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:32 am    Post subject:

What type of analytics is she refering to regarding this specific trade ?
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Jeanie Buss On The Trade With The Cavs: "I Really Appreciated The Process. Not Only Did Magic and Rob Sit Down With Me, They Brought The Analytics Department"

Eindhoven wrote:
Jeannie not being involved in the past was part of the agreement she had with her brother. They didn't get along and it's their fault, both of them.

That's why that sibling rivalry was the worst thing for the organization. I'm not a fan of either one, I'm just glad the organization is all on the same page. Just a pity Mitch was caught in the cross fire.

Word.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:30 am    Post subject:

Better bring those same guys when they're pitching to Paul George. Show him why Russ is number one in assist but OKC is dead last in assist.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:42 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
Better bring those same guys when they're pitching to Paul George. Show him why Russ is number one in assist but OKC is dead last in assist.

This is where I expect Pelinka to shine where Mitch couldn't. Pushing the right buttons in pitch meetings with players.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Car54 wrote:

This is where I expect Pelinka to shine where Mitch couldn't. Pushing the right buttons in pitch meetings with players.

That's true. As much as I liked Mitch, that was a major flaw he had.

They don't need to be so blunt and point out OKC's problems. Just promote our positives and PG will make the connections. He knows how much of a ball hog Westbrook is, so just emphasize how unselfish and collaborative we are. All back up by numbers.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Jeanie Buss On The Trade With The Cavs: "I Really Appreciated The Process. Not Only Did Magic and Rob Sit Down With Me, They Brought The Analytics Department"

Eindhoven wrote:

X100000000 Every bit.

If Mitch had survived this purge somehow, he would definitely not be GM or Pres. of Basketball Operations. More an advisor at best.

A change was coming one way or another. You can only be clowned so long.

Bye.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject:

LawyerShawn wrote:

You really think that Jeannie saying "They brought in the analytics folks and answered all my questions" actually tells anybody anything of importance?
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeanie Buss On The Trade With The Cavs: "I Really Appreciated The Process. Not Only Did Magic and Rob Sit Down With Me, They Brought The Analytics Department"

Chronicle wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Megaton wrote:
Saw this on Reddit.

Well done Magic and Rob.

People are going to be mad at you and me for saying this but you are partially correct. There's a reason why Doc Buss separated the powers. Now was Daddy buss being .... one of those old guys that think "this is a man's job???" we will never know the answer to that.

Even if that was not the case. Perhaps doc buss knew Jimbo knew more about basketball than Jeanie. while he also knew Jimbo would do a horrible job of the business side of things.

Or... Jim could've been disrespectful by not having her at the meetings or meeting with her during basketball decisions because he just didnt want to because they didnt get along even though he knew she did know a lot about basketball.

So either way You should understand how Jeanie would be pleased when magic and rob took the time to bring the meeting to her with the analytics guys so she could be involved for real. not that fake "i'm just letting you know what we're going to do jeanie." but actually including her in on everything. perhaps even if she isnt that great at the basketball side, she could actually get better if you include her in a lot of these deals. or perspective deals.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: