What Would We Have Given Up For Baron Davis?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OscarWang
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: What Would We Have Given Up For Baron Davis?

I heard it was a done deal...I'm just wondering what we would have given
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject:

I don't think it was much, which is why so many people wanted it to happen... I think it was Caron Butler, Vlade Divac and Devean George.

Here http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_11572.shtml

BORIS DIAW WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE FOR TIERRE BROWN!!!
OscarWang
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject:

and mitch backed down
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject:

C - Chris Mihm
PF - Brian Cook
SF - Lamar Odom
SG - Kobe Bryant
PG - Baron Davis

Ank
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject:

MasTaFUsion wrote:
and mitch backed down

He was worried about Baron's injury and contract. Yes, we backed down. Baron Davis had packed his bags for LA (his words).
OscarWang
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject:

Was he worried about Odom on crack?

Was he worried about Kwame being a total bust?

Was he worried about Vlade breaking down?
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject:

Wasn't it Buss that put the stop to it?
eldrunko714
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject:

I'm sooooo glad we didn't trade for Baron Davis. He's a street balla and he's already having problems in Golden State. Do you guys want to be great or just ok? Davis is not a championship piece. He has a big uninsured contract. I don't like BD's game at all.

Look how much better the Hornets are doing without him. Chris Paul alredy in his rookie season > BD.

Last edited by eldrunko714 on Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject:

eldrunko714 wrote:
I'm sooooo glad we didn't trade for Baron Davis. He's a street balla and he's already having problems in Golden State. Do you guys want to be great or just ok? Davis is not a championship piece. He has a big uninsured contract. I don't like BD's game at all.

BD is a triple double threat... :roll: People also think he's the toughest PGs to guard. Words from guys like DWade.
eldrunko714
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject:

tgf5 wrote:
eldrunko714 wrote:

BD is a triple double threat... :roll: People also think he's the toughest PGs to guard. Words from guys like DWade.

Yeah whatever rolly eyes. Tough to guard individually is one thing but being a winner is another. Obvious attitude problems in Charlotte and now in GS. Behind the back and showboat basketball obviously don't cut it in the NBA. White Chocolate J Will doesn't even play that way anymore.
Davis shoots under 40% from the field and even a horrible % at the stripe. Go the Warriors message board and you can read plenty what they think of him. They are already sick of him.
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject:

eldrunko714 wrote:
tgf5 wrote:
eldrunko714 wrote:

Yeah whatever rolly eyes. Tough to guard individually is one thing but being a winner is another. Obvious attitude problems in Charlotte and now in GS. Behind the back and showboat basketball obviously don't cut it in the NBA. White Chocolate J Will doesn't even play that way anymore.
Davis shoots under 40% from the field and even a horrible % at the stripe. Go the Warriors message board and you can read plenty what they think of him. They are already sick of him.

Then you must hate Magic Johnson and Kobe. You must really hate Kobe because he did it last night and they lost to the Hawks. Yeah you wouldn't give up Butler, George and Divac for a career 16, 4, 7, 2 guy. And this season 19, 5, 9, 2

You must really hate Lamar too because he isn't a winner. And what attitude problems? Thats in Charlotte and Golden State, not LA.

95% of the people on these boards will take Baron Davis hands down. Hell, right now even.
eldrunko714
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject:

tgf5 wrote:
eldrunko714 wrote:
tgf5 wrote:
eldrunko714 wrote:

Then you must hate Magic Johnson and Kobe. You must really hate Kobe because he did it last night and they lost to the Hawks. Yeah you wouldn't give up Butler, George and Divac for a career 16, 4, 7, 2 guy. And this season 19, 5, 9, 2

You must really hate Lamar too because he isn't a winner. And what attitude problems? Thats in Charlotte and Golden State, not LA.

95% of the people on these boards will take Baron Davis hands down. Hell, right now even.

That's your opinion. He's not my type of guard. Davis is not Magic, don't even mention the two in the same breath. Kobe throwing a behind the back pass once in a while is different from one's style of play. What attitude problems? You mention two franchises that he did and does have problems with but you think he won't have any if he plays in LA? Just like Phil will free Kwame? You contradict yourself by saying he does have attitude problems but not here in LA. Two out of two franchises that he's played for is 100% problematic my friend. Shooting under 40% and playing jungle ball is not my cup of tea. I would rather have Kirk Hynie whatever his name is, Mike James, Chris Paul, Tony Parker, Damon Stoudemire, Josh Howard, Devin Harris, and the list goes on and on.
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject:

eldrunko714 wrote:
tgf5 wrote:
eldrunko714 wrote:
tgf5 wrote:
eldrunko714 wrote:

That's your opinion. He's not my type of guard. Davis is not Magic, don't even mention the two in the same breath. Kobe throwing a behind the back pass once in a while is different from one's style of play. What attitude problems? You mention two franchises that he did and does have problems with but you think he won't have any if he plays in LA? Just like Phil will free Kwame? You contradict yourself by saying he does have attitude problems but not here in LA. Two out of two franchises that he's played for is 100% problematic my friend. Shooting under 40% and playing jungle ball is not my cup of tea. I would rather have Kirk Hynie whatever his name is, Mike James, Chris Paul, Tony Parker, Damon Stoudemire, Josh Howard, Devin Harris, and the list goes on and on.

It's not an opinion when it's fact. He's not your type of guard, that's an opinion.

These attitude problems occur with everyone. Artest, Francis, etc yet people still want these players. Why? Because they're good. Devis Harris over Davis? Go play NBA Live.
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject:

Im glad we didnt get Baron Davis. Hes nothing but a chucker. Hes shooting under 40%. Warrior fans actually want to get rid of him.
eldrunko714
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject:

tgf5 wrote:
eldrunko714 wrote:
tgf5 wrote:
eldrunko714 wrote:
tgf5 wrote:
eldrunko714 wrote:

It's not an opinion when it's fact. He's not your type of guard, that's an opinion.

These attitude problems occur with everyone. Artest, Francis, etc yet people still want these players. Why? Because they're good. Devis Harris over Davis? Go play NBA Live.

The only fact you proved is your intelligence level is somewhere between Kwame's intelligence level and nowhere. Which is about as low as Baron's shooting percentage. Go play NBA live? Go wish overpaid franchise killers and career cancers on other teams. There's a difference between need/want and lust. You can go drool over BD all you want. GS fans have been ready to give him up for some time now.
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject:

what would his percentage be playing with teams doubling kobe and getting wide open looks?
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject:

eldrunko714 wrote:
tgf5 wrote:
eldrunko714 wrote:
tgf5 wrote:
eldrunko714 wrote:
tgf5 wrote:
eldrunko714 wrote:

The only fact you proved is your intelligence level is somewhere between Kwame's intelligence level and nowhere. Which is about as low as Baron's shooting percentage. Go play NBA live? Go wish overpaid franchise killers and career cancers on other teams. There's a difference between need/want and lust. You can go drool over BD all you want. GS fans have been ready to give him up for some time now.

Oh yeah Baron Davis really had helped with an injury prone Jamal Mashburn and Jamal Magloire and PJ Brown. Oh and the list stops there too. Career cancers on other teams? Please list the specific things Baron Davis did that killed Charlotte and Golden State:

And don't give me vague crap like "bad team chemistry".
Laker Lurker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject:

KobeButler wrote:
Im glad we didnt get Baron Davis. Hes nothing but a chucker. Hes shooting under 40%. Warrior fans actually want to get rid of him.

Warriors would probably be dead last without Baron Davis. Before you or anyone disses Davis consider these facts.
1) Baron Davis 9.2 assists per game is second only to Steve Nash's 12.2 assists per game, Odom is a lousy #24 at 5.3 ASG
2) Baron davis scores 18.7 points per game compared to Odom's 13.9
3) Baron davis steals 1.8 per game compared to Odoms .9 steals
4) Baron Davis averages .3 blocks per game at PG!!! compared to Odoms .9 blocks per game at SF

If these facts are converted to points for points scored and 2 points for assists and 1 point for every block. Davis impact over Odom's impact -is a + 12 points -= (18.7-13.9) pts+2ptsx(9.2-5.3)assists+ 1pts(.3-9)blocks. To be conservative, cut the Davis Odom differential in half from 12 to 6pts.

What does this all mean,? the lakers present point differential is 1.1 pts more than their opponents. Adding the Davis -Odom differential of 6 points to the current 1.1. the lakers would have a 7.1 point differential over their oponnents. Only two teams have a positive point differential greater than 7. Those two teams are the Detroitt Pistons who are the best team in the NBA and the Dallas Mavericks who are the second best team in the NBA. Davis' presence on the Lakers would have made the Lakers a Title condending team and, conversely, Davis absence from the Warriors would make them a lottery team.
Tony Montana
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject:

eldrunko714 wrote:
tgf5 wrote:
eldrunko714 wrote:
tgf5 wrote:
eldrunko714 wrote:
tgf5 wrote:
eldrunko714 wrote:

Didn't we already pick up an overpaid team cancer instead in Kwame Brown?

You honestly think we would be worse off with Baron starting at the PG, and Smush off the bench? Without Baron, Golden State is one step above the Atlanta Hawks.

Baron's only shooting 40%? So what. Kobe and Smoosh are only at 44%; Sasha 34%, Devin Green 25%, and Mckie, before he fell apart gave us a healthy 11% from the field. I'll take Baron and his 40% plus 9 assists per game.

It's great that people are okay with Mitch picking up broken down guys at the end of their careers, and underachieving emotional basket cases, but the thought of a proven all-star is a chemistry-breaker? Give me a break.
Tony Montana
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject:

lakeshow03 wrote:
what would his percentage be playing with teams doubling kobe and getting wide open looks?

Amen.
Laker Lurker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject:

Tony Montana wrote:
eldrunko714 wrote:
tgf5 wrote:
eldrunko714 wrote:
tgf5 wrote:
eldrunko714 wrote:
tgf5 wrote:
eldrunko714 wrote:

Didn't we already pick up an overpaid team cancer instead in Kwame Brown?

You honestly think we would be worse off with Baron starting at the PG, and Smush off the bench? Without Baron, Golden State is one step above the Atlanta Hawks.

Baron's only shooting 40%? So what. Kobe and Smoosh are only at 44%; Sasha 34%, Devin Green 25%, and Mckie, before he fell apart gave us a healthy 11% from the field. I'll take Baron and his 40% plus 9 assists per game.

It's great that people are okay with Mitch picking up broken down guys at the end of their careers, and underachieving emotional basket cases, but the thought of a proven all-star is a chemistry-breaker? Give me a break.

Baron Davis is way more than a second option- he is an option 1A. I don't think that jason Richrdson would be scoring all those points whic double or triple teamed like Kobe. Convesely, would anyone double team Kobe and leave baron davis open anywhere on the court or driving to the basket off a Kobe feed. I think that baron davis impact would be great not only on Kobe but on the Lakers.
Tony Montana
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject:

And the fans would go nuts for him. That would be some serious Showtime with him and Kobe. If this team is going to lose, I would rather lose with Baron and Kobe than the current crew.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject:

Not taking Baron was (bleep) stunted. We'd be at least 10 games over .500 now if we hadhim.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject:

We actually had two shots are Baron, that's the worst part.

Jerry West was going to deal Rice to get Baron in the draft. Phil nixed that as one of the first of a series of moves that would drive West off.

So we could have had Baron, Kobe and Shaq.

Then again 2 years before West was going to ship NVE for Kidd and got shot down by Del. Hmmm, Kidd, EJ, Kobe and Shaq?

And then yeah, we had a shot at Baron last year. I don't know who the hell shot that one down. Probably the same person that shot down Artest. I mean why on Earth would we want to have Baron, Kobe and Artest on the same team when we can have, umm, Smush and Lamar?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject:

considering his injury prone history and awful attitude. you should all be glad we didn't get him. he's gonna get his coach fired.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: