Shaq pitches his brand, business side on HBO's Real Sports

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Shaq pitches his brand, business side on HBO's Real Sports

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/03/26/shaq-pitches-his-brand-business-side-on-hbos-real-sports/

Quote:
Shaq pitches his brand, business side on HBO’s Real Sports

Shaquille O’Neal has more endorsements and is on your television more now than when he was playing.

The Hall of Fame big man hawks everything from Gold Bond Powder to cruises, and he’s all over your television. It’s going to get worse during the playoffs.

Shaq and his “fun” business empire will be profiled by Bernard Goldberg on HBO’s Real Sports this week (it first airs March 27 at 10:30 p.m. ET/PT, then will reshow and stream across all their channels and platforms), that includes lessons learned back at LSU:

“My marketing professor said, ‘Okay, class, bring me something that you could see being sold in the foreseeable future.’ So, you know me, Bernie. I came in with the Shaq shoes, Shaq socks, Shaq shirt, Shaq everything. And the guy gave me an F. He actually embarrassed me in front of the class. He said, ‘Shaq, I know you’re full of yourself and I see you put a lot of time into this, but if you look at the climate of the NBA, big guys are not selling. This’ll never work.’”

Shaq says he makes more now from advertising sponsorships than he did at his peak playing, which for the record was $27,696,430 in 2004-05 with the Heat.

Shaq’s business model, outside of just having fun, is to pitch things that you or I would want or like — items for America’s middle class. He’s not trying to sell you a Rolex.

Goldberg: “A lot of the stuff you pitch is aimed at middle-class Americans. There’s a reason for that.”
Shaq: “Because the great Lucille O’Neal, which is my mother, said, ‘There’s more middle class than there is spoiled rich brats like you, Shaq.’”
Goldberg: “Did she say that?”
Shaq: “Just like that. And then she said, ‘Don’t forget, we used to be like that.’”

Check it out, even if it means more Shaq on your TV. It’s a fascinating insight.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject:

Too bad the middle class is dying out!
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject:

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/03/29/shaquille-oneal-spent-70000-dollars-walmart-video

Quote:
NBA EXTRA MUSTARD
Shaquille O’Neal Once Spent $70,000 in a Single Walmart Trip

Have you ever wondered how a player gets settled in after they get traded to a new city? If you’re Shaquille O’Neal, you just go to Walmart and buy everything you could possibly need to fill a new apartment. Everything. To the tune of $70,000.

Shaq was a guest on HBO’s Real Sports and revealed that after being traded from the Heat to the Suns, he went on a shopping spree at Walmart to furnish his new home in Arizona.

“I have the highest purchase in Walmart history. The CEO will confirm that. I spent about $70,000 at Walmart—in one night,” Shaq explained. “I spent so much, American Express thought my credit card was stolen. True story. ... I get traded from Miami and I go to Phoenix. And I’m very impatient. They’ve already got the apartment set up, but I ain’t got nothin’. I ain’t got no towels. I ain’t got no pots and pans. I ain’t got no TVs.”

When it was all said and done, Shaq need “a couple of trucks” to take everything away.

And it wasn’t just home goods. Shaq said he also bough tanktops and underwear, which might be the most shocking part of all of this. Walmart carries clothes in Shaq’s size?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: