Team Stats & Rankings (Through First 63 Games - 03/07/2018)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Team Stats & Rankings (Through First 63 Games - 03/07/2018)

Source ESPN Hollinger Stats. LINK

Pace: #1
Assist Rate: #T16
Turnover Rate: #T21
Assist to Turnover Ratio: #26
Offensive Rebounding Rate: #6
Defensive Rebounding Rate: #15
Rebound Rate: #10
Free Throw Percentage: #30
Three Point Percentage: #29
Effective Field Goal Percentage: #18
True Shooting Percentage: #T22
Offensive Efficiency: #T23
Defensive Efficiency: #11

Glossary

PACE: Pace Factor - the number of possessions a team uses per game.
AST: Assist Ratio - the percentage of a team's possessions that ends in an assist. Assist Ratio = (Assists x 100) divided by [(FGA + (FTA x 0.44) + Assists + Turnovers]
TO: Turnover Ratio - the percentage of a team's possessions that end in a turnover. Turnover Ratio = (Turnover x 100) divided by [(FGA + (FTA x 0.44) + Assists + Turnovers]
ORR: Offensive rebound rate
DRR: Defensive rebound rate
REBR: Rebound Rate - the percentage of missed shots that a team rebounds. Rebound Rate = (Rebounds x Team Minutes) divided by [Player Minutes x (Team Rebounds + Opponent Rebounds)]
EFF FG%: Effective Field Goal Percentage
TS%: True Shooting Percentage - what a team's shooting percentage would be if we accounted for free throws and 3-pointers. True Shooting Percentage = (Total points x 50) divided by [(FGA + (FTA x 0.44)]
OFF EFF: Offensive Efficiency - the number of points a team scores per 100 possessions.
DEF EFF: Defensive Efficiency - the number of points a team allows per 100 possessions.

Last edited by 32 on Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:43 pm; edited 3 times in total
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject:

I will try to update this thread as much as I can for the remainder of the season.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject:

I think our offense efficiency would be higher if Lonzo hadn't missed as many games as he had.

The lack of shooting (free throws/3pt) is glaringly large. I see a lot of promise as well as replacing KCP/Lopez with better cogs and allowing our guys to grow will start bearing fruit sooner than later.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject:

It's funny that a team modeling itself after the Warriors would have such a terrible 3pt and FT percentage. It's amazing we win at all considering those stats. Love that Pace ranking.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
I think our offense efficiency would be higher if Lonzo hadn't missed as many games as he had.

we were 29th when he was playing....it has ticked up to 28th in his absence. The last 4 games, we have an offensive rating of 115.07....which would be #1 in the NBA if it was for the full season.

Last edited by adkindo on Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject:

mookielala wrote:
Love that Pace ranking.

not sure...I get that GSW plays at a high pace, and Luke wants to copy them....but there are more bad teams in the Top 10 in pace than good teams. The last 4 games, we have played at a pace that would rank near the bottom of the league....yet we are 4-0.
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
mookielala wrote:
Love that Pace ranking.

not sure...I get that GSW plays at a high pace, and Luke wants to copy them....but there are more bad teams in the Top 10 in pace than good teams. The last 4 games, we have played at a pace that would rank near the bottom of the league....yet we are 4-0.

Interesting. Thanks. I would have thought the pace was the only thing saving us from absolute bottom with those shooting numbers, but apparently not.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject:

We are a young team that defends and rebounds. That is a very, very good foundation for the future.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
We are a young team that defends and rebounds. That is a very, very good foundation for the future.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject:

mookielala wrote:
adkindo wrote:
mookielala wrote:
Love that Pace ranking.

Interesting. Thanks. I would have thought the pace was the only thing saving us from absolute bottom with those shooting numbers, but apparently not.

yes, your right...in general pace helps a poor shooting team like us...just not sure it is really something all teams should strive for overall. There are good and bad teams at both ends of the spectrum.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject:

Thanks 32 for the update!

48 games into the season - and we are still ranked #11 in defensive efficiency!

It's clearly no longer a fluke. This team's defense had improved remarkably over the past year.

How many people, and analysts, and local opposing team broadcasters, still throw shade at the Lakers' 'porous' defense because they see total points allowed stats with no regard to pace?

Kind of fun listening to the more astute ones start complimenting the Laker defense because they understand what they're watching when the 24 second clock expires, only to argue among themselves whether or not it was bad offense or good defense.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
agreed!
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Thanks 32 for the update!

48 games into the season - and we are still ranked #11 in defensive efficiency!

It's clearly no longer a fluke. This team's defense had improved remarkably over the past year.

How many people, and analysts, and local opposing team broadcasters, still throw shade at the Lakers' 'porous' defense because they see total points allowed stats with no regard to pace?

Kind of fun listening to the more astute ones start complimenting the Laker defense because they understand what they're watching when the 24 second clock expires, only to argue among themselves whether or not it was bad offense or good defense.

it has climbed back to #11....it nosedived to the mid teens around Christmas/New Years when Ball was out....then he came back and it got better again....and this time when he has been out, it has not slipped much.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ahaider wrote:

we were 29th when he was playing....it has ticked up to 28th in his absence. The last 4 games, we have an offensive rating of 115.07....which would be #1 in the NBA if it was for the full season.

Interesting. Lonzo's always credited for pushing our pace & offense but our efficiency doesn't seem to support that.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject:

Thanks for compiling this!
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ahaider wrote:

Interesting. Lonzo's always credited for pushing our pace & offense but our efficiency doesn't seem to support that.

Lonzo overall has been negative for the offense because he struggled so much the first couple months of the season.

Recently he was a positive, but the Lakers are doing better without him partly because JC is getting more minutes at the 1 and he's been killing it (I think someone said 26 & 6 the last 4? Correct me if I'm wrong). I don't expect JC to have superstar averages for a full season though
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject:

It's also important to note that even though we're 11th in defensive efficiency, there's hardly much difference between us and the 7th ranked team (Detroit).

7. Detroit - 104.4
Portland - 104.4
9. Charlotte - 104.5
10. Miami - 104.6
11. LA Lakers - 104.7
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ahaider wrote:

just my opinion...but I think some people conflate fast pace and optimal tempo/pace....I think Lonzo pushes the pace....but what he does well is keeps the team in an optimal tempo....or at least has recently....and he will likely only get better with that with experience. Sometimes it is best to push the tempo and other times slow it a little....and I think Ball has an excellent feel for determining that right now....probably needs to improve a little with last few minutes of a game....but that will come with experience. Caruso is not bad at finding the right tempo also in my opinion. JC can play fast....and JC can play slow....but finding the optimal tempo for the game/situation on his own is not a strength.....nor is it for Ennis.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

it has climbed back to #11....it nosedived to the mid teens around Christmas/New Years when Ball was out....then he came back and it got better again....and this time when he has been out, it has not slipped much.

Good point - that's right it was getting iffy for a while during Ball's outage after Nurkic arm hooked him. So good to see them adjust to Ball's absence this time around.
Lakers4Life33
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject:

I love how polarized our team's strength and weaknesses are...it gives the front office a crystal clear path for improving the team. Removing the fat from the team and replacing them with competent NBA veterans will do wonders.

Imagine replacing the "production" of:
-Ennis
-KCP
-Lopez

with guys who can actually defend, shoot threes, and hit their free throws.

We are a lock for playoffs next year with or without max FA's, mark my words!!!
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject:

mookielala wrote:
adkindo wrote:
mookielala wrote:
Love that Pace ranking.

We are 21st in pace for the last 4 games.
IMO, if your offense sucks and your defense is good, you might want more possessions to help with level things out.

However, I'm at the chicken or egg dilemma.
We are #1 in TOV% and 13th in TS% which I believe contributed to the great ortg. (25th and 28th respectively for the season). Did a slower pace contribute to that?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
mookielala wrote:
adkindo wrote:
mookielala wrote:
Love that Pace ranking.

IMO, if your offense sucks and your defense is good, you might want more possessions to help with level things out.

We are #1 in TOV% and 13th in TS% which I believe contributed to the great ortg. (25th and 28th respectively for the season). Did a slower pace contribute to that?

Pace can help in that situation...but that was not the strategy going into the season. Nobody was claiming that our defense would be solid while our offense would struggle, therefore we need to play at a fast pace.

I think guys have just played better in a small sample....I mean the TOV% is still a percentage...slower pace has required even less turnovers. I am not saying it is driving those numbers, but Ball does have the highest TOV% and lowest TS% of all the regular rotation players....so it would make sense those categories would improve with him out of the lineup.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
epak wrote:
mookielala wrote:
adkindo wrote:
mookielala wrote:
Love that Pace ranking.

Pace can help in that situation...but that was not the strategy going into the season. Nobody was claiming that our defense would be solid while our offense would struggle, therefore we need to play at a fast pace.

I think guys have just played better in a small sample....I mean the TOV% is still a percentage...slower pace has required even less turnovers. I am not saying it is driving those numbers, but Ball does have the highest TOV% and lowest TS% of all the regular rotation players....so it would make sense those categories would improve with him out of the lineup.

Not that clear cut.
6 Games Lonzo missed from December 25 - January 3.
Tov% - 23rd rank
Ts% - 27th rank
Pace - 9th rank

6 Games Lonzo missed recently (including the 4 game win streak)
Tov% - 4th
Ts% - 17th
Pace - 9th
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Indicative of a team that's turning the corner, learning to win with more weapons in more ways with or without Lonzo.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject:

@LakersReporter
Quote:
The Lakers were 29th or 28th in offensive efficiency for much of the first few months of the season. With their steady uptick in production on that end, they’re up to 24th right now, and closing in on the teams just ahead (ATL, NYK, DAL, DET, ORL, BOS).

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: