Was that the worst call ever?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Actually they applied the rules. The call is right (By ruling if there is a inadvertent whistle or buzzer sound with neither team in possession of the ball it’s ruled a jump ball.) The fault is on the people in charge of the clock.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject:

@billoram

Quote:
The NBA has determined the Magic should have retained possession following clock malfunction with six-tenths left last night. Instead, a jump ball was ruled and Lakers won 108-107.

Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject:

I applaud them for admitting their mistake. The review office usually lists everything that goes to official review as a correct call even when it isn't.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject:

We still would have won. I bet our chances would have been 95%.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject:

did the table do that intentionally though? that was a cheap trick.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
lakerlynx
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Watching the play live I was furious with the timer because it was clear that the Magic's play had failed and the game should have been over. I figured the Magic would just get a do-over. The jump ball call was weird, though.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject:

Vin wrote:
Actually they applied the rules. The call is right (By ruling if there is a inadvertent whistle or buzzer sound with neither team in possession of the ball it’s ruled a jump ball.) The fault is on the people in charge of the clock.

Negative

The NBA's review of last night's jump ball decision determined it was the wrong call. The clock did not malfunction. It was started early by a referee (not at the Lakers scorers table) and so the Magic should have retained possession.

https://twitter.com/taniaganguli/status/971876512315203584?s=21
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject:

I hate missed calls so so so much. Obviously human error cannot be entirely avoided but compounding one error with another is just a hot ass mess IMO. Not only would I never want this scenario that happened to my team obviously OK so it worked out in our favor this time but next time it might not. But also too I don’t want my wins to have an Asterisk next to them. I want my wins to be bold faced out in out clear as day fair and square wins. Clearly it’s over and there’s nothing that can be done about it now but I just had to vent because I hate situations like this.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject:

Ohm Youngmisuk
ESPN Staff Writer

The NBA's Officiating Last Two Minute Report ruled that there was an incorrect call at the end of the Orlando Magic-Los Angeles Lakers game and that the Magic should have maintained possession — as Orlando head coach Frank Vogel argued — after a clock malfunction. "The inbound pass, referees were reasonably certain that there was a clock malfunction and triggered an Instant Replay under Rule 13.1.a.5," the Two Minute Report said. "After review, it is confirmed that the game clock was inadvertently started by the referee crew and that time expired before the ball was touched. The clock is correctly reset to 0:00.6. However, since the pass was still in the air when the clock expired, the ball was still in ORL's possession and thus ORL should have retained possession on the sideline at the nearest spot. Had the ball been touched by LAL prior to the expiration of the clock, it would have been considered a loose ball and the jump ball ruling would have been correct."
forzaCOREA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject:

how some of you guys are defending the call.. or saying the game was over anyways... jeez talk about biased opinion.. that call was BS. It wasn't an opinion call like was it a foul or who touched the ball last.. it was obvious that the clock started early so what is the debate about, bad call, the end.
LakersAlldaWay
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject:

forzaCOREA wrote:
how some of you guys are defending the call.. or saying the game was over anyways... jeez talk about biased opinion.. that call was BS. It wasn't an opinion call like was it a foul or who touched the ball last.. it was obvious that the clock started early so what is the debate about, bad call, the end.

If the refs gave the ball back to the Magic that would have given them an unfair advantage considering the first play was not affected by the buzzer going off and the game would have been over as soon as Lonzo deflected the ball. That would have been a bigger controversy imo
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject:

Several ways to look at this. The way I see it:

Had the ref started the clock when he should have:

Inbound pass is batted around briefly, Gordon is well defended, and Lonzo bats the ball out of bounds. Game over. Even if time hadn't fully expired, even if it's determined Orlando has 0.2 seconds left for another in-bounds, nobody's getting that shot off in half the time Fish did. Sorry, game over, Lakers win.

Had the rules been properly applied:

Orlando gets another shot at an inbounds with .6 seconds left. It's still a difficult play. I don't see any valid argument that Orlando had more than maybe a 10% chance to win.

However, because of the ref error the Lakers are screwed out of successfully defending the end of game play and they have to do it twice. They should have had to, and it sucks that they should have had to.

As it turned out:

Officials are embarrassed. Lakers win. Aaron Gordon thinks Orlando was screwed out of a win. He woefully overestimates Orlando's odds. On to the next game.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
Ohm Youngmisuk
ESPN Staff Writer

The NBA's Officiating Last Two Minute Report ruled that there was an incorrect call at the end of the Orlando Magic-Los Angeles Lakers game and that the Magic should have maintained possession — as Orlando head coach Frank Vogel argued — after a clock malfunction. "The inbound pass, referees were reasonably certain that there was a clock malfunction and triggered an Instant Replay under Rule 13.1.a.5," the Two Minute Report said. "After review, it is confirmed that the game clock was inadvertently started by the referee crew and that time expired before the ball was touched. The clock is correctly reset to 0:00.6. However, since the pass was still in the air when the clock expired, the ball was still in ORL's possession and thus ORL should have retained possession on the sideline at the nearest spot. Had the ball been touched by LAL prior to the expiration of the clock, it would have been considered a loose ball and the jump ball ruling would have been correct."

Nice, makes sense now.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject:

IMO the refs were bad all night.

http://www.lakersnation.com/nba-l2m-report-lakers-magic-jump-ball-finish-call-incorrect/2018/03/08/
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Do we know if the clock operator is a Lakers fan?
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject:

Maybe not the worst call ever,

but the worst call overall?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
No it wasn't, but I don't give a s*** anyway. Refs have been screwing us all year. (bleep) it.

TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Maybe not the worst call ever,

but the worst call overall?

Get off the internet!!!
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Several ways to look at this. The way I see it:

Had the ref started the clock when he should have:

Inbound pass is batted around briefly, Gordon is well defended, and Lonzo bats the ball out of bounds. Game over. Even if time hadn't fully expired, even if it's determined Orlando has 0.2 seconds left for another in-bounds, nobody's getting that shot off in half the time Fish did. Sorry, game over, Lakers win.

Had the rules been properly applied:

Orlando gets another shot at an inbounds with .6 seconds left. It's still a difficult play. I don't see any valid argument that Orlando had more than maybe a 10% chance to win.

However, because of the ref error the Lakers are screwed out of successfully defending the end of game play and they have to do it twice. They should have had to, and it sucks that they should have had to.

As it turned out:

Officials are embarrassed. Lakers win. Aaron Gordon thinks Orlando was screwed out of a win. He woefully overestimates Orlando's odds. On to the next game.

Gordon was also arguing that Lopez wasnt fouled. He's wrong, Lopez absolutely drew contact. Now would it have been called a foul if the visiting magic drove to the basket with one second left? Of course not. But it was a foul.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject:

Vin wrote:

The ref was in charge of the clock. I was on the fence about the whole players vs ref thing, but the refs are showing themselves to be the ones who are wrong.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject:

LakersAlldaWay wrote:
forzaCOREA wrote:

If the refs gave the ball back to the Magic that would have given them an unfair advantage considering the first play was not affected by the buzzer going off and the game would have been over as soon as Lonzo deflected the ball. That would have been a bigger controversy imo

How could a play not be affected by the buzzer going off before the ball was touched? Homer all you want but you aren’t right. An unfair advantage that they actually get their 0.6 seconds to run a play?
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Stole that game, like cat burglars. We also stole Shaquille from Orlando that was a worse felony.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
thenextgreat wrote:
I can see reasoning for replaying the inbound pass if Gordon caught the ball but he didn't...The game would have been over. The Magic are really more upset about the call on the other end that sent Brook to the line. Calling this the worst call in NBA history?? really? Come on..

The direct implications of this is very minor, but the WTH??? factor of the rule is huge and ripe for misuse. You know the Celtic time keeper will keep this in his/her back pocket for a game in a similar scenario.

You know the Spurs time keeper is feeling like he/she cost the Spurs a chip with the 0.4 shot.

!!!!
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:35 pm    Post subject:

SGVL1 wrote:
The players played on despite the horn sounding and Lonzo knocked the ball away. To me it was poetic justice after Gordon banked in that 3. But whatever

Lame
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: