OFFICIAL Derrick "Rich Man's Anthony Bennet" Williams
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Tania Ganguli
@taniaganguli

Luke Walton plans not to use Derrick Williams tonight but he feels confident if they need him for some reason Williams will be able to help.

No need to fight no more. He’s been Deng-ed like Deng
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Hope this doesn't mean BI is out for an extended stretch.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject:

kobe_luver wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
has he practiced with the team yet?

Don't know....but probably not since he just signed with us today.

it's been hours since he signed....dude needs to be in the gym working on his game
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Tanlentueux wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
Hope this doesn't mean BI is out for an extended stretch.

I just posted a Brandon update in the injury thread. They are being vague and noncommittal which is kind of a concern but I guess his evaluation isn’t until this weekend so there’s nothing they really can say.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject:

Lowest Merion wrote:
Drifts wrote:
maybe he can salvage his career with the Lakers... keep your fingers crossed.

Highly unlikely. He was playing in China for a reason. One of the biggest draft busts in recent history. He is not good at playing basketball. He cannot shoot. Career 43% FG and 30% from three. His PER was awful during his stint in the league and so were his advanced stats.

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Welcome Derrick Williams. Please play defense at the 3 position. At least until BI and Hart return. Wishing for too much?

Yes, unfortunately.

Bishop* wrote:
I am a big fan of his game

Why?

Bishop* wrote:
and I keep wondering why he has not been able to get a role somewhere.

Because he is abjectly miserable. And he has had a role. It was in China.

pio2u wrote:
– via HoopsHype
Quote:
[b][i]What is something you would tell a front office looking to sign you?
Derrick Williams: I’ve always been a team player. I’m young in the basketball world. I have a lot of time to really get better, too. I’m going to focus, that’s why I’m here in China.
Sometimes, people just get too comfortable in the NBA. I wouldn’t say I went that route. But the reason I got to the league was that I was comfortable with being uncomfortable.
I was the No. 2 overall pick but it was wild considering I wasn’t ranked in the ESPN Top 100 coming out of high school. But two years later, I was right there. The things you dream can come to fruition.
I’m a prime example of working to your goals. I’m not in the spot I want to be in but sometimes you do things you don’t want to do. I want to be in the NBA. I’m an NBA player with NBA talent.
Things happen for a reason and when I get a call back to the NBA, I won’t take it for granted. I will live like this until the day I can’t play basketball any longer.

And he’s delusional ...

CervantesRises wrote:
LET'S FIGHT ABOUT EVERYTHING!!!

People are debating. So (bleep)ing what? Isn’t that the point of a message board?

adkindo wrote:
rather have gave a true wing from G Leavue a look,

Me too.

adkindo wrote:
but hope he does well.

Me too. But he won’t.

Urine and breakfast cereal...now all you have to do is find the culprit.

#BannersOverBillboards
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:48 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
Lowest Merion wrote:

CervantesRises wrote:
LET'S FIGHT ABOUT EVERYTHING!!!

People are debating. So (bleep)ing what? Isn’t that the point of a message board?

Urine and breakfast cereal...now all you have to do is find the culprit.

Good lord. This is pretty rich coming from you. Do me a favor and please remind me. Why are you even here? Fortunately, I do not forget. Furthermore, the above quoted post is the height of hypocrisy given your posting history. Take your ball, the L, and go on home.

For those who may have forgotten or those who were not LG members at that time, Cervantes explicitly and publicly requested DB to permanently ban him during his epic Bynum related meltdown approximately seven years ago during what I suppose one could call the Bynum Wars (for lack of a better term). As far as I know, his wish was granted. So, again. Why is he here? Here’s what I’m talking about. (This is simply one post. There were others which were similar).

In response, 24/Omar was merely shooting a singular twenty dollar word using fish in a barrel.

Omar Little wrote:
Cervantes wrote:
Freakout wrote:
Cervantes wrote:
24 wrote:
Cervantes wrote:
24 wrote:
The difference between snipping a slight tear and suturing the meniscus is significant. In the case of a snip, the only impediment to full rehab activity is allowing the wound to close and dealing with any swelling. In the case of the suturing, you have to allow the entire area sutured to heal back together before even allowing mobility of the knee at all. With the snip, a patient can actually put weight on the joint the same day (although for the sake of caution and to prevent excess swelling, that is not generally advisable). But in any case, the patient will be on the joint in a matter of days. In the case of the repair involving meniscus suturing, that process doesn't even start for somewhere around six weeks at minimum. Full immobility of the knee during that time.

Anyone equating a snip to a repair is either entirely ignorant, or hoping you are.

I read through everyone's posts and no one equated a snip to a repair.

There was an observation made by me as food for thought...what if Theo at age 37 comes back before 23 year old Bynum?

Are you a surgeon, doctor, pt, pa, or just an internet researcher who is sounding like you know what you are talking about?

Because I have some great questions for you about cellular wound healing and tissue regeneration.

Just curious?

Signed

An ignorant guy.

Actually, DR. Laker did when he gave examples of guys who came back quicker (who only had snips) than Bynum (who had repair) as evidence that Bynum is coming along too slowly.

I don't claim to be a doctor (don't even have it in my screen name ), but I don't think that obviates my ability to read and understand some basics. I'm not an auto mechanic, but i think I can understand and cogently explain to you that an engine rebuild without the cylinders being bored and re-lined is less complex and takes less man hours than a rebuild with the cylinder walls left as is. I'm not trying to interpret tissue regeneration, specific healing time for a particular patient, etc., just the basics of two types of procedures and why they are performed, and their subsequently different recovery times, something that's quite easy to access and understand. Are you a physicist? Does that mean you cannot discuss gravity or motion in any way whatsoever? Are you a lawyer? Does this mean you have no opinion whatsoever on politics or laws that would have any value whatsoever? Or that you can't, for example, look up the term "mens rea" and give an accurate synopsis of what it means legally?

Not sure why you thought i called you ignorant when I only said someone would be ignorant if they thought the two procedures were significantly the same, and you do not.

In truth, there are essentially 2 topics I can discuss intelligently and with sophisticated simplicity.

Myself and Health.

Less I become a jack of all trades and a master at none like so many people who spew thoughtless opinions and fail to grasp the depth necessary to understand sophisticated simplicity.

It's as if 'I think therefore I am' needs to be validated with each keystroke.

I wish whomever had coined that phrase would have said, 'I think Intelligently and speak Thoughtfully, therefore I am.'

If you think that you can read a couple of sports health articles written by sports writers and a webMD article or two and 'get the jist of it' to pontificate upon the topic intelligently then more power to you.

You are braver that one might suspect.

A wise man speaks about topics he understands.

A wiser man listens to others speak about topics he knows little about.

There are reasons why Doctors go to school for years and then continue to train throughout their careers. Because understanding how intricate something like a human body is takes years to BEGIN to understand.

What I know is nothing compared to what their is to know.

Understanding this principle is essential to practice humility and discernment.

As this conversation has branched out from Bynum to you and your responses to other people on this board, I is my opinion that you would better honor yourself by removing the smugness and judgment so rampant throughout your posts.

Else you risk looking like you have looked throughout this thread...a know-it-all who uses tone to disguise is own insecurities.

Peace be with you.

Getting awful personal there eh?

Just speaking my mind. Hopefully 24 is big enough to understand the intention after his exchanges with me.

Can thoughtful men be thoughtful men or has that day and age died?

Or perhaps I should have said 'you suck' or some other sentence fragment that expresses my inability to form coherent thoughts yet is accepted by the lowest common denominator of people who hold education in little regard?

24 insinuated that people like me are ignorant and that our ilk won't die in his threads after no comments were directed his way from me until this post and the post before it.

So he held my feet to the fire. Now I'm responding. Tell him to put on his big boy pants and check is package because I actually have the stones to respond to someone intelligently.

Did what I say upset you?

Or was it just unpleasant and we are supposed to be talking about basketball?

I curious to know to why you felt the need to come to someone's defense who wasn't being attacked but who was being taught.

Or maybe I'm just trying to get officially banned from this board so I can go pursue other things.

Or maybe I'm just upset that people who don't have any idea about a subject feel the need to convince me other wise.

Or perhaps I'm jaded.

Or perhaps I'm just a jerk.

Or perhaps I'm none of these things and just tired of all the politically correct jabs we take at each other instead of just saying what we feel and being done with it.

Or perhaps everyone should always have the freedom to say whatever they want to say without consequence because the expression of the thought is more important than the result of the expression.

Or perhaps I just live by a different code and am tired of diminishing my thoughts and beliefs for people who have never had to consider what they say because no one ever says anything to them to correct them.

Like too many bad children running the planet.

Or perhaps I got tired of reading 24 talk down to DrLaker.

Or perhaps I have no business on a Discussion Board like this.

Or perhaps I just don't give a flying

F

U

C

K

anymore and it feels good to say it.

DB it's time to Ban Me For Good and never let me come back.

And I am not angry, disturbed or deranged. Quite the contrary.

I am going to report myself to DB now...PLEASE BAN ME.

Peace Be With You.

So many thoughts. Where to begin.

First off, I guess I would say that I wasn't even addressing you, as you weren't the one making the assertions I rebutted and referred to as ignorant. You only entered my consciousness when you chose to lecture me on tone and smugness, and like the people i was addressing, did not and still do not address my assertion of what happened and why, based primarily on the quotes from Bynum's doctor, buttressed by perusal of many web pages related to the subject, not to mention my own personal experience with a meniscus tear, along with several years in the medical industry, where I became quite conversant with legal details like consent, liability, et al. If I am merely a smug person who is hiding the fact that i know nothing about the subject, then please be my guest and educate me. It should be terribly easy. Barring that, telling me I'm talking down to people (also not doctors, although you seem to feel no need to chide them for speaking outside of their area of expertise) for exposing obvious (and unrebutted by you), holes in their theory of why Bynum is lazy, chose to have unnecessary surgery, is taking too long to come back, and should recover from a much more major procedure as quickly as those with the significantly more minor one do, really doesn't address whether or not i'm correct.

There are assertions I have made, that you claim I'm not qualified to make. So why do you support equally unqualified people making counter assertions, made without and in fact counter to the evidence available to us lay people? Do you dispute that a meniscus tear requiring a partial meniscectomy and one requiring further repair are different? Do you dispute the facts and figures about the procedures and recovery times I have cited? Do you disagree with Bynum's doctor, who has said basically the same thing I'm saying, that they expected a "snip" of a minor tear, instead found a tear too big to fix that way, and instead needed to do a full repair of the meniscus? Do you dispute the reports that Bynum is following his medical recovery plan diligently, and has had no setbacks thus far? If so, again, please explain in as much detail as possible, and please include details about what qualifies you to do so, more so in fact than Mr. Bynum's surgeon. Otherwise you're indicating that you either don't know enough to cogently judge my assertions, or you do and just can't find anything significant to poke a hole in. Either way, not very solid footing from which to mount an attack on my position or the form it comes in.

Perhaps what you view as smugness masking insecurity is in fact just cold, hard, unapologetic confidence backed up by a brilliant intellect, insatiable curiosity, and ability to absorb, understand, and articulate cogent knowledge on a broad spectrum of subjects, and tested successfully with experts in many of them. Perhaps my combination of skills, talent, ability, interest, and eagerness renders me a jack of all trades, and master of quite a few. Perhaps I, while not a lawyer, in the process of drafting a 40+ page contract (over 60 with addenda) for a multimillion dollar venture between half a dozen companies, some of whom were hostile toward each other, necessitating careful, extensive, and dense legalese; turning it over to a well respected corporate lawyer for final revisions and approval, and having him write simply, "I wouldn't change a word", learned that I can indeed understand the 'jist' of things that take people years of schooling and experience to master. Maybe I'm just that damned good, and have quit giving a good (bleep) about the people who want me to feel insecure or apologetic for knowing more about more things than they typically do. Maybe the smugness you sense is actually just me not giving a rip whether people who argue things, important or banal, in a manner replete with straw men, hit-and-runs, obfuscation, bluster, ignoring of evidence presented, misrepresentation of evidence, or merely the strange desire to stick with a pre-conceived notion they can neither adequately support nor defend from the evidence offered against it, are feeling properly validated by my savaging of their argument. It's the nature of debate. I'm perfectly willing to have a friendly discussion of something, and both learn and hopefully share information, but when it becomes an argument, with a clear side and challenge drawn, then I'm a firm believer you should bring your A game
and expect no quarter, or perhaps you should rethink issuing the challenge in the first place. If you (meant in general, lest you think I mean you personally again) don't like losing, either get a better game plan or quit playing. Beat my argument silly, concede to it, or maybe just ignore me. But don't expect me to extend some level of nurturing hospitality and touchy-feely affirmations of your prowess and worth during the process, should you choose to engage. It's not personal, it's just sport, and that's the way i play. Does that make me a prick? Quite possibly. Can I live with that? Absolutely.

For the record, I disbelieve your notion that you can only discuss yourself and your career field intelligently, especially in light of the fact that you've ranged far beyond those things in your missive to me, and quite articulately at that.

Maybe you're just emotionally attached to Bynum in a negative way and thus hate my position. Or not. Maybe you just don't enjoy my manner or methods. Maybe you just like to take people you feel are arrogant down a peg. I don't know, wouldn't assume to. But I will assume that until you can tell me what's wrong with my argument, concerning yourself instead with how I make it or if i'm qualified to argue any particular thing isn't really going to serve as a worthy substitute.

BTW, I forgot to thank you for the wonderful irony of a statement regarding teaching someone about smugness, a claim which is the epitome of smug, and then doubling down with the boast of responding intelligently on a subject which isn't in the list of the only two you claim to be able to discuss intelligently. Well played.

Quote:
Or maybe I'm just trying to get officially banned from this board so I can go pursue other things.

Unfortunately, your pursuing other things apparently never happened. Instead we’re collectively less intelligent for being subjected to your posts. Sadly, you’re in the same unsinkable ship as Superboy. Despite your empty and phony wishes and promises to be banned or leave once and for all, you continually return.

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?p=3557428#3557428
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject:

WOOOOWWW

this is good read

Quote:
Perhaps what you view as smugness masking insecurity is in fact just cold, hard, unapologetic confidence backed up by a brilliant intellect, insatiable curiosity, and ability to absorb, understand, and articulate cogent knowledge on a broad spectrum of subjects, and tested successfully with experts in many of them.

This is journalism school master level... full use of thesaurus
or known as mic drop
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject:

Derrick Williams will look good on this team. His issue has always been fitting in a half court offense. I also believe that his issue is that he’s not really a 3 or a 4. Luckily we like to run and gun so he won’t have to spend much time in the halfcourt and when we do hopefully he will be in a lineup with Lonzo so he can be setup to succeed. Hopefully Luke keeps his ass parked in the corner 3 in halfcourt sets where he can backdoor or hit an open shot. Keep it simple and play to his stengths.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject:

oh my. What did I just step into? *backs out of thread*
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject:

Lowest Merion wrote:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Welcome Derrick Williams. Please play defense at the 3 position. At least until BI and Hart return. Wishing for too much?

Yes, unfortunately.

Shifting gears for a bit - what have you seen or heard about Derrick Williams' defense?
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject:

Low risk move. He is still only 26 and probably fits in this team better than others. Not the perimeter shooter the team would prefer but he can still contribute.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject:

T.Wear/D.Will signing could be min salary insurance incase Randle is not coming back too
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
I don't get the phobia on playing Deng either. I was hoping the Lakers would pick up another 3, and Williams is close enough to give it a watch I guess. I think Wear/Kuzma at 3 looked awful against Orlando and Portland, after filling in fine against SAS's depleted team. I hope Williams fits a little better until we get BI and Hart back.

Trying to force Deng into taking a buyout. Players want to play - not ride the pine when they're healthy. Deng was a legit NBA starter most of his career and wants to be on the court. By keeping him on the bench and/or inactive list, they may prick his pride enough to get him to give back 5 or 6 million and get out of his deal. Why play him and pay him $50 million when you can bench him and maybe only have to pay him $45 million?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
T.Wear/D.Will signing could be min salary insurance incase Randle is not coming back too

That’s interesting..
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
governator wrote:

That’s interesting..

That is my line of thinking as well.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
I don't get the phobia on playing Deng either. I was hoping the Lakers would pick up another 3, and Williams is close enough to give it a watch I guess. I think Wear/Kuzma at 3 looked awful against Orlando and Portland, after filling in fine against SAS's depleted team. I hope Williams fits a little better until we get BI and Hart back.

Trying to force Deng into taking a buyout. Players want to play - not ride the pine when they're healthy. Deng was a legit NBA starter most of his career and wants to be on the court. By keeping him on the bench and/or inactive list, they may prick his pride enough to get him to give back 5 or 6 million and get out of his deal. Why play him and pay him $50 million when you can bench him and maybe only have to pay him $45 million?

I'm inclined to agree, that's what's happening - although I'll be a little surprised if Deng budges at this stage. I'm not sure how that tactic sits with potential free agents considering pros and cons of their destination options either.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

Kind of like insuring your car with Joe’s Meat Market and Insurance Company.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject:

"Let's keep these two guys who aren't even in the league this season to make up for the fact we were stupid enough to let our best player walk."

Sounds logical...
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Lowest Merion wrote:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

Yes, unfortunately.

Shifting gears for a bit - what have you seen or heard about Derrick Williams' defense?

That it’s awful. He’s too slow to guard 3s and not strong enough to guard 4s. That, and he’s a lousy help defender.

Career Drtg of 108. Career BPM of minus 3.2. Career VORP of minus 2.6. Those stats are terrible.

He played well while at Arizona, but his game just did not translate to the league. I know people say that positions are meaningless in the NBA, but Williams is kind of a classic tweener.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
governator wrote:

Kind of like insuring your car with Joe’s Meat Market and Insurance Company.

I have a feeling Randle will be back, he's doing all the right things.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Lowest Merion wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Lowest Merion wrote:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

Yes, unfortunately.

That it’s awful. He’s too slow to guard 3s and not strong enough to guard 4s. That, and he’s a lousy help defender.

Career Drtg of 108. Career BPM of minus 3.2. Career VORP of minus 2.6. Those stats are terrible.

He played well while at Arizona, but his game just did not translate to the league. I know people say that positions are meaningless in the NBA, but Williams is kind of a classic tweener.

Yeah, it’s ok to b kind of both, but kind of neither, not so much.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
governator wrote:

That’s interesting..

This is just a little scouting and bench help...no big
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Kinda surprised by this signing, but he seemed to have a strong finish to his season with the Cavs last year.

Long as he can make 40% of his 3s and play some solid defense, he’d be a good addition.
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject:

JeezyXVII wrote:
Long as he can make 40% of his 3s and play some solid defense, he’d be a good addition.

Firstly, he can’t shoot the three. He shoots it at amazing clip of 30%. Hell, you’d be lucky if he shoots 40% from inside the arc. He shoots a pathetic 43% inside the arc.

As to your comment re his ability to shoot threes. If he could shoot 40% from distance he never would’ve been in China.

Secondly, as explained above, he is an awful defender.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject:

Lowest Merion wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Lowest Merion wrote:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

Yes, unfortunately.

UGH - in short, he's not the droid we're looking for. Really hoping for good news on the healing front.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: