Steve Francis looks back on his career, escape from D.C. crack epidemic

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Steve Francis looks back on his career, escape from D.C. crack epidemic

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/03/08/steve-francis-looks-back-on-his-career-i-was-the-most-electric-player-to-ever-do-it/

Quote:
Steve Francis looks back on his career, escape from D.C. crack epidemic

Steve Francis is almost an NBA legend at this point, a judder on the journey to the modern-day NBA. In 2018, there’s no doubt that many basketball fans do not remember just how big a deal “Stevie Franchise” was at the dawning of Allen Iverson’s NBA. Now, Francis is 41 years old and hasn’t played a game in the Association since December of 2007.

Today, he’s back.

In a captivating feature posted to The Players’ Tribune, Francis detailed the story of his life and his journey from working the block as a crack dealer in Washington D.C. to getting drafted into the NBA without any D1 offers, and despite playing what he says was only two games of high school basketball.

Francis titled his article “I Got a Story to Tell” and in it he recounts some pretty heavy-hitting and incredible plot twists, the kind you might not even believe were real in a movie.

In a story apparently untold in full to the public before, Francis said that he went from helping to deal drugs on the corner, to playing AAU ball, then quitting completely after his mother died. Francis was then convinced by his AAU coach to keep on going. Franics was eventually picked up by a junior college, finally transferring to Maryland before making it to the NBA.

The classic Francis bluster is there — he talks about schooling everyone from Gary Payton to Shawn Marion — and there’s some great tidbits about his relationship with Hakeem Olajuwon.

Here’s Francis on finally heading to JUCO:

But my grandma convinced me that it’s what my mother wanted for me, and I just gave in. I got my GED, and my grandma gave me $400 and a plane ticket to Houston. The San Jacinto coaches picked me up at the same airport that the coaches at Houston had picked up Dream at when he came over from Nigeria. And honestly, I was probably just as shell-shocked as he was. It was 30,000 white people and your boy Steve. Total culture shock. But I finally had some stability. I had a bed. I had a roster spot. And with that in the bag, I’m telling you, I went out there and killed it.

Ask Shawn Marion. Go ahead and ask him. He was playing for Vincennes University at the time, and he was a juco All-American. He was supposed to be the guy. And we went up there to Indiana and I murdered him. I got a quadruple double on his ass. I remember when we both got to the NBA, we were laughing about it during some shootaround, and he told me that he’s actually got the VHS tape of the game somewhere at his house. The tape exists. For 20 years I’ve been asking Shawn where the hell that tape is, and he’s been ducking me.

SHAWN, WHERE’S THE TAPE?!

SHOW THE WORLD THE TAPE, SHAWN.

The whole article is worth a read, and it’s a stunning and heartbreaking one at that.

My real takeaway is how much influence an outlet like The Players’ Tribune has in allowing players of Francis’ age to tell us his unfiltered story. No doubt we’ll learn things about this era of the NBA some 10 or 20 years down the line from stars similar to Francis.

Update: A previous version of this article attributed a quote to Steve Francis that was intended to be a hypothetical. The quote has been changed.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject:

He was out of the league at 30?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject:

I think he came into the league when he was a teenager I could be wrong.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject:

Got no love for Steve Francis.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:46 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
I think he came into the league when he was a teenager I could be wrong.

I think he was 22 when he was drafted....dropped out of high school when he was 18....then went back got GED.....played 2 years @ JUCO, then played his Junior season @ Maryland. He was 32 (less than a month from 33) when he was last waived by the Grizzlies.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject:

He was an electric player in his prime. This was a good read. I don't believe him when he says he never did crack, just sold it. He said he just had a drinking problem but his face is so jacked up now. He's unrecognizable compared to his playing days. Doubt just alcohol can do that.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject:

Alcohol can do that
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
Alcohol can do that

Yup, have you ever seen a picture of Charles Bukowski?
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/03/19/former-nba-all-star-steve-francis-cited-for-public-intoxication/

Quote:
Former NBA All-Star Steve Francis cited for public intoxication

What happened to Steve Francis [after his playing days]? I was drinking heavily, is what happened. And that can be just as bad (as drug use). In the span of a few years I lost basketball, I lost my whole identity, and I lost my stepfather, who committed suicide.”
—Steve Francis, writing in the Players’ Tribune earlier this month, about his journey from selling crack to the NBA, and what happened after.

Addiction, once it’s got you, never goes away. The fight to stay sober/clean is a new one every day.

Steve Francis was cited for public intoxication in Burbank, Calif., after an incident at a hotel bar, according to TMZ (since confirmed by other reports).

Francis, 41, was arrested around 11:40 PM after police were called for a disturbance between two men at a hotel in Burbank.

Law enforcement sources tell us when cops arrived, Francis was intoxicated. He was arrested for being drunk in public.

Francis was transported to jail … before being given a citation and released around 7 AM Monday morning.

Francis denied in the Players’ Tribune article rumors he had a drug problem, but he owned up to drinking.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: