LG March Madness!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 25324
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: LG March Madness!!!

It is about that time when we all complete March Madness brackets with so much confidence only to watch them begin to fall apart within 48 hours after the opening tournament tip off. We had a fun few weeks last year, even though the game results were not always cooperative with our predicted outcomes. Last year I set the group up on ESPN, but many responded to let me know they preferred Yahoo's "Tourney Pick'em"....so I created the group on Yahoo this year (and made sure it was set up on Pacific Time ).

When can I complete my bracket?
--After the field is announced on Selection Sunday (March 11th) @ 3:00 PM (Pacific Time) on TBS.

When does my bracket have to be completed?
-- Edits can be made up to an hour before the fist game tips off on Thursday, March 15th @ 9:00 AM (Pacific Time).

How many brackets can I complete?
-- One

What is the Group link?
-- LINK to Yahoo Tourney Pick'em LakersGround page.

What is the Group password?
-- 8Kobe24

**Note**
When you're setting up your bracket, be sure to unselect the "show personal email" box, and make sure your bracket is listed under a username (prefer your LG ID), and not the name on your birth certificate.
_________________
"To arrive at a contradiction is to confess an error in one's thinking; to maintain a contradiction is to abdicate one's mind and to evict oneself from the realm of reality." Ayn Rand
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2015
Posts: 1469
Location: Zürich

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:15 am    Post subject:

That's me filling the brackets
_________________
Lonzo-Ingram-Randle-Kuzma.

Keep them together!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakerdynasty5.0
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 12 Jan 2009
Posts: 3827

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject:

Thanks for doing this! Sounds fun! Will give it a shot! Will even enlist my dog for "picks"
_________________
Starting Lakers Dynasty6.0! NOW!!
------
....." each year in Lakerland is marked by four seasons: Kobe’s Mad at His Teammates; Kobe’s Shooting Too Much; Kobe Leads the Victory Parade; Kobe Receives His Championship Ring."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KobeJaws
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 25 Feb 2008
Posts: 2697
Location: Michigan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject:

I'm in!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 25324
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject:

I expect brackets to crumble and get kind of ugly this year....there is a lot of parity in college basketball, and it will create tough choices in the 1st Round. There will likely be a lot of choices between "talent" and "experience".

Take a team like Kentucky...they will likely be a #4,#5, or #6 seed, but if you watched them this week in the SEC Tournament, they looked like a team that could give any team in the country a problem if all that young talent is able to move in the same direction.
_________________
"To arrive at a contradiction is to confess an error in one's thinking; to maintain a contradiction is to abdicate one's mind and to evict oneself from the realm of reality." Ayn Rand
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Oct 2001
Posts: 41164

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject:

AZTECS!
_________________
Love, Laker Lanny
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 13503
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject:

The bracket is maybe the worst I've seen it in years. I think the committee did a horrific job, across many levels.

That said, of course I'm entering this little contest!
_________________
It's time to quiet the naysayers and Laker haters...let's go!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Sep 2007
Posts: 8862
Location: Maui & Saint-Tropez, and sailing the south seas...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Looking for a "3-peat".....

Back to defend my repeat wins from the last two LG March madness tournaments.

Always adds spice, extra excitement and fun these tournaments on LG.

Thanks Adkindo...
_________________
........................
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 21 Feb 2009
Posts: 6133

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject:

some really crazy draws for some marquee programs this year.

we're probably going to get kentucky vs arizona in the round of 32 and UCLA vs Florida in round of 64
_________________
this summer we settle of all family business


Last edited by 44TheLogo on Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 127652
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject:

I will see if I can find my bracket game that rewards for picking underdogs.
_________________
It’s a girl, my lord, in a flat bed Ford.......
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 30203

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject:

So the best socal team this year is San Diego State? UCLA in a play in game? USC misses the tournament? CSU Fullerton wins the Big West.....Wow!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 25324
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject:

I see a lot of praise for the committee in the media, but I feel they did a terrible job in seeding and placement. There are always teams snubbed and questionable inclusions....so that is what it is.....

-- but to put Kansas, Duke and Michigan State in the same bracket makes little sense to me.

-- Also, claiming Virginia the #1 overall seed, then making them go through Arizona/UK, two of the most talented teams in the country that are playing their best basketball, to reach the Elite 8 seems like a tough draw.

-- it appears that they were very favorable with including ACC teams, but did not allow any of them except 1 to compete in a close region.

-- it is pretty clear they left out any bubble team that was named in the FBI scandal (OK State, USC, Louisville)....but that was not their job. How can you penalize them because they were on the bubble, but allow Arizona, Auburn and others named in the tournament.

-- They screwed several seedings. For example, my favorite team WVU was given a #5 seed in the East, while Texas Tech was given a #3 seed. Both teams tied for 2nd place in the Big 12, WVU had a slightly higher BPI (1 spot), and WVU's out of conference best win was against Virginia while Texas Tech's was Nevada. On top of that, WVU beat Texas Tech 2 times over the last 2 weeks....and made it to the conference championship game. How does Texas Tech seed 2 seeds higher?

Oh well, my team got put is the "easiest" bracket, so I am pleased with that outcome.
_________________
"To arrive at a contradiction is to confess an error in one's thinking; to maintain a contradiction is to abdicate one's mind and to evict oneself from the realm of reality." Ayn Rand
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 13503
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I see a lot of praise for the committee in the media, but I feel they did a terrible job in seeding and placement. There are always teams snubbed and questionable inclusions....so that is what it is.....

-- but to put Kansas, Duke and Michigan State in the same bracket makes little sense to me.

-- Also, claiming Virginia the #1 overall seed, then making them go through Arizona/UK, two of the most talented teams in the country that are playing their best basketball, to reach the Elite 8 seems like a tough draw.

-- it appears that they were very favorable with including ACC teams, but did not allow any of them except 1 to compete in a close region.

-- it is pretty clear they left out any bubble team that was named in the FBI scandal (OK State, USC, Louisville)....but that was not their job. How can you penalize them because they were on the bubble, but allow Arizona, Auburn and others named in the tournament.

-- They screwed several seedings. For example, my favorite team WVU was given a #5 seed in the East, while Texas Tech was given a #3 seed. Both teams tied for 2nd place in the Big 12, WVU had a slightly higher BPI (1 spot), and WVU's out of conference best win was against Virginia while Texas Tech's was Nevada. On top of that, WVU beat Texas Tech 2 times over the last 2 weeks....and made it to the conference championship game. How does Texas Tech seed 2 seeds higher?

Oh well, my team got put is the "easiest" bracket, so I am pleased with that outcome.


As I said, I think this is one of the worst brackets I've seen in a long time. I thought they did an awful job.
_________________
It's time to quiet the naysayers and Laker haters...let's go!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 30203

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject:

The people who worked on the brackets were probably BCS leftovers....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 1263

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject:

In.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 21 Feb 2009
Posts: 6133

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:
I see a lot of praise for the committee in the media, but I feel they did a terrible job in seeding and placement. There are always teams snubbed and questionable inclusions....so that is what it is.....

-- but to put Kansas, Duke and Michigan State in the same bracket makes little sense to me.

-- Also, claiming Virginia the #1 overall seed, then making them go through Arizona/UK, two of the most talented teams in the country that are playing their best basketball, to reach the Elite 8 seems like a tough draw.

-- it appears that they were very favorable with including ACC teams, but did not allow any of them except 1 to compete in a close region.

-- it is pretty clear they left out any bubble team that was named in the FBI scandal (OK State, USC, Louisville)....but that was not their job. How can you penalize them because they were on the bubble, but allow Arizona, Auburn and others named in the tournament.

-- They screwed several seedings. For example, my favorite team WVU was given a #5 seed in the East, while Texas Tech was given a #3 seed. Both teams tied for 2nd place in the Big 12, WVU had a slightly higher BPI (1 spot), and WVU's out of conference best win was against Virginia while Texas Tech's was Nevada. On top of that, WVU beat Texas Tech 2 times over the last 2 weeks....and made it to the conference championship game. How does Texas Tech seed 2 seeds higher?

Oh well, my team got put is the "easiest" bracket, so I am pleased with that outcome.


As I said, I think this is one of the worst brackets I've seen in a long time. I thought they did an awful job.


I wish they'd just go with conference champions then seed based on kenpom.
_________________
this summer we settle of all family business
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 13503
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:
I see a lot of praise for the committee in the media, but I feel they did a terrible job in seeding and placement. There are always teams snubbed and questionable inclusions....so that is what it is.....

-- but to put Kansas, Duke and Michigan State in the same bracket makes little sense to me.

-- Also, claiming Virginia the #1 overall seed, then making them go through Arizona/UK, two of the most talented teams in the country that are playing their best basketball, to reach the Elite 8 seems like a tough draw.

-- it appears that they were very favorable with including ACC teams, but did not allow any of them except 1 to compete in a close region.

-- it is pretty clear they left out any bubble team that was named in the FBI scandal (OK State, USC, Louisville)....but that was not their job. How can you penalize them because they were on the bubble, but allow Arizona, Auburn and others named in the tournament.

-- They screwed several seedings. For example, my favorite team WVU was given a #5 seed in the East, while Texas Tech was given a #3 seed. Both teams tied for 2nd place in the Big 12, WVU had a slightly higher BPI (1 spot), and WVU's out of conference best win was against Virginia while Texas Tech's was Nevada. On top of that, WVU beat Texas Tech 2 times over the last 2 weeks....and made it to the conference championship game. How does Texas Tech seed 2 seeds higher?

Oh well, my team got put is the "easiest" bracket, so I am pleased with that outcome.


As I said, I think this is one of the worst brackets I've seen in a long time. I thought they did an awful job.


I wish they'd just go with conference champions then seed based on kenpom.


As adkindo said, I don't know how they put supremely talented Duke and Michigan St. as the 2-3 in the same bracket, and that reminds me of how they did the same thing last year with Kentucky and UCLA. They should have had Cincy and Michigan St. in the same bracket, and Tennessee and Duke in the same bracket.

Oklahoma St. not getting in and Oklahoma getting in is beyond dumb. Oklahoma is like 1-100 in 2018 (you get the idea), and although they had some good wins early in the year, OK St. beat OU twice and beat Kansas...twice! You know, #1 seeded Kansas. They also beat West Virginia on the road.

USC not getting in is a joke, particularly when weighed against Arizona State, which, like Oklahoma, has been a bad team for a while now. It's one thing to say they have better wins, but they were months ago, and there has to be a difference between a 2nd-place team in a league and a 9th-place team in a league.

Syracuse getting in is a joke, and I think anyone that has watched them this season would agree with that.

Alabama being in is OK, but as a 9? They shouldn't have been that comfortably in. And Oklahoma not only getting in, but not having to play in the First Four, is a travesty.

Also, as adkindo said, Virginia's bracket is a gauntlet.
_________________
It's time to quiet the naysayers and Laker haters...let's go!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 20839

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject:

I don't even follow college basketball that closely, but I could see right away that the bracket was a crock. Syracuse?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 25324
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject:

I listened to the committee guys over the last 12 hours, and they stressed that the first game is as important as the last game in selecting the at large teams. They used professional sports as an example in that it does not matter if you win most of your game early or late....the most wins gets in the playoffs....hence in the NCAA even if you lost a lot down the stretch, quality wins in November/December carry just as much weight. Although I do not fully agree with that methodology, it does make selections such as ASU and Oklahoma make a little more sense.

Still, it just creates more questions.....how does Cuse get in? They literally had a light resume the entire season. Their absolute best wins were home wins against an unranked Va. Tech, Miami, and #18 Clemson. Compare that to Oklahoma State who beat #19 Florida State, #2 Oklahoma, Texas, @ #7 Kansas, @ #19 West Virgina, #6 Texas Tech & #6 Kansas! It is not even remotely close, and Oklahoma State was not even considered in the First Four Out. Then you have Baylor who beat Creighton, Texas (2x), Oklahoma State (2x), #10 Kansas, #7 Texas Tech, and Oklahoma. Again, far superior to Syracuse. On top of that, the committee had Notre Dame in until Davidson upset Rhode Island....the same Notre Dame that lost @ home to Ball State and their best win was probably home against Va. Tech. Anyone smell some ACC favoritism on an absurd level?

Even if we accept the committee's rationale about how every game equally counts for inclusion....the way a team finishes should definitely impact seeding....Arizona as a #4?!?!
_________________
"To arrive at a contradiction is to confess an error in one's thinking; to maintain a contradiction is to abdicate one's mind and to evict oneself from the realm of reality." Ayn Rand
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 21 Feb 2009
Posts: 6133

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject:

arizona has a gauntlet of a tournament but I feel like they're going to win it all this year. they've got the most dominant player in college basketball, veteran NBA level guard/wing players in rawle alkins and allonzo trier, rampaged through their conference tourney, and they have a togetherness forged through a bunker mentality from the entire program being under fire under questionable circumstances.
_________________
this summer we settle of all family business
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 25324
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
arizona has a gauntlet of a tournament but I feel like they're going to win it all this year. they've got the most dominant player in college basketball, veteran NBA level guard/wing players in rawle alkins and allonzo trier, rampaged through their conference tourney, and they have a togetherness forged through a bunker mentality from the entire program being under fire under questionable circumstances.


maybe....but I sure feel like they should have been a #2 seed.....#3 at the absolute worse. I do not think you will find many teams that would prefer to play Arizona over Cincy or Purdue...both #2 seeds. Anyone prefer to play Arizona over Michigan or Tennessee...both #3 Seeds?

The teams I personally wanted WVU to avoid for as long as possible was Duke, Michigan State, Duke, Kentucky and Arizona.....WVU may beat any of those teams on a given night....but if their talent plays to it's potential, we simply cannot compete with them. Teams like Virginia and 'Nova may be better basketball teams....we can compete based on talent....and I would rather roll the dice with those teams.
_________________
"To arrive at a contradiction is to confess an error in one's thinking; to maintain a contradiction is to abdicate one's mind and to evict oneself from the realm of reality." Ayn Rand


Last edited by adkindo on Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 20839

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Even if we accept the committee's rationale about how every game equally counts for inclusion....the way a team finishes should definitely impact seeding....Arizona as a #4?!?!


Eh. For reasons that I do not understand, the Pac 12 has been sucking pretty hard in both football and basketball. I caught parts of a few Pac 12 games this year, and frankly the quality of play was not at the level of the other power conferences. If you go by RPI, Arizona is right where it belongs.

As for OSU and Baylor, I have less sympathy for big conference underachievers than I do for small conference runners up. OSU and Baylor had losing records in their conference and both lost 14 games on the season. They did have some good wins, but I just can't get outraged about an 18-14 team missing the tournament. I have a lot more sympathy for Saint Mary's and MTSU. Sure, they didn't play the same schedule, but to a large extent the scheduling disparity is a phenomenon created by the power conferences. I'd rather give a shot to MTSU than stick a mediocre team like Syracuse or Texas into the field.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PHILosophize
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 7689

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject:

I barely watch college basketball and even I know that Cincinnati is way too highly seeded.
_________________
one dog goes that way the other dog goes the other way
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PHILosophize
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 7689

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject:

USC was snubbed big time too
_________________
one dog goes that way the other dog goes the other way
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 21 Feb 2009
Posts: 6133

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
arizona has a gauntlet of a tournament but I feel like they're going to win it all this year. they've got the most dominant player in college basketball, veteran NBA level guard/wing players in rawle alkins and allonzo trier, rampaged through their conference tourney, and they have a togetherness forged through a bunker mentality from the entire program being under fire under questionable circumstances.


maybe....but I sure feel like they should have been a #2 seed.....#3 at the absolute worse. I do not think you will find many teams that would prefer to play Arizona over Cincy or Purdue...both #2 seeds. Anyone prefer to play Arizona over Michigan or Tennessee...both #3 Seeds?


yeah seeding was garbage, but I think that's true every year. remember wichita state being a 10 seed last year? I'm not as vexed by the seeding as i am by the teams actually in the tourney. Seeding is a fairly subjective process with a lot of factors involved including regions, matchups, etc. but letting a team like syracuse into the tourney is a (bleep) joke
_________________
this summer we settle of all family business
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 1 of 24
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB