Comparison Between Lakers Youth to Warriors’ Players Few Year’s Ago
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:50 am    Post subject: Comparison Between Lakers Youth to Warriors’ Players Few Year’s Ago

How does Ball, Randle, Kuzma and Hart compare to the Warriors’ players when they were younger - Curry, Thompson and Green?

If a LBJ, PG13, BI, Ball and Kuzma (with a depleted bench because of salary and players dump), will they be the fav - since they do not have a rim protector and low post presence

With LBJ probably on a 1+1 contract, who knows how long he will stay. If FO was having problems with LaVar - imagine dealing with LaVar and LBJ at the same time with expectations of winning a ring now given Lebron’s age and need to win rings before he retires. How the Cavs are playing gives a strong indication of the success with him playing with young players

D12/Pau/Kobe/Nash and Shaq/Black Mamba/Mailman/The Glove teams didn’t win. Building a Team around young players (Magic, Coop, Big Game, AC, Rambo’s and BScott) got multiple rings with the addition of key vets (Cap, Mychal, McAdoo)
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:09 am    Post subject:

I hope we only go after 1 max free agent so that we can keep our entire core intact. Our team is very good when healthy. If we get a young star like Paul george then we can compete for a very long time. If we get someone well into their thirties then the window is too short and it comes at the expense of developing the core.

The Randle/Ball/Ingram core with Hart/Kuzma/Bryant/Caruso roleplayers is a very good young team that can match up with any other team in the league.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:47 am    Post subject:

D12/Pau/Kobe/Nash/?Artest? was a beast of a team in the end of the regular season. Kobe was taking over, then the achilles... Injury

Shaq/Kobe/Malone/GP/?D.George?... Malone injury forced I think Medvedenko into the starting line up against Rasheed Wallace... injury derailed

Those were our what could've been super teams

The Lakers team post Magic in early 90s with Ceballos, Nick the Quick and Eddie Jones, Threatt is closer to this team's comparison

Curry/Klay/Draymond/Barnes... tough comp, MVP/50-40-90/DPOY/20ppg

Hope so
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject:

You don't really need an elite player for a rim protector, just a guy who gets the job done. Don't forget the Warriors had a nearly washed up Andrew Bogut doing the job.

We do need to add shooting to the equation though. That's the big missing piece for our young core.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject:

We have better NBA caliber youth depth than the warriors did but what they lacked in quantity they made up for in quality.

Curry was/is obviously a generational talent and really had a major influence on the way the game is played. Ball might be a similar player in terms of how he might influence the game, but that' not certain.

Klay and BI are close by I give the nod to Klay, although I do think BI will have a career at the level of Klay at the end of the day

Randle and Green....I think are pretty close talent wise there game has some similarity but it also has differences, but each is the emotional engine of the team

After that a talent to talent comparison the Lakers pull ahead, warriors have bell...but lakers have hart, zubac, kuzma and Bryant (who is a bit of unknown but reports seem promising)
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject:

Randle is never gonna get rid of that draymond green lable huh
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject:

av3773 wrote:
We have better NBA caliber youth depth than the warriors did but what they lacked in quantity they made up for in quality.

Curry was/is obviously a generational talent and really had a major influence on the way the game is played. Ball might be a similar player in terms of how he might influence the game, but that' not certain.

Klay and BI are close by I give the nod to Klay, although I do think BI will have a career at the level of Klay at the end of the day

Randle and Green....I think are pretty close talent wise there game has some similarity but it also has differences, but each is the emotional engine of the team

After that a talent to talent comparison the Lakers pull ahead, warriors have bell...but lakers have hart, zubac, kuzma and Bryant (who is a bit of unknown but reports seem promising)

I agree with most of this post, except for the Ingram/Klay part. I think Ingram ceiling is actually higher than Klays. BI can create his own shot better, and is a better playmaker for others, better than Klay. He's also a better shot blocker on defense while Klay is a better man to man defender right now. I think BI has more to his game than Klay has. Obviously not shooting though.
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
av3773 wrote:

I agree with most of this post, except for the Ingram/Klay part. I think Ingram ceiling is actually higher than Klays. BI can create his own shot better, and is a better playmaker for others, better than Klay. He's also a better shot blocker on defense while Klay is a better man to man defender right now. I think BI has more to his game than Klay has. Obviously not shooting though.

Play Thompson is the second greatest shooter in NBA history. That along with his elite defense gives him a higher ceiling until Ingram can show he can defend at an elite level or shoot.

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject:

We have more 80s type of players, but they have more 90s type of players, which I think is more important. Having one perennial 90s guy (rating) is far better than having two or three 80s guys (great role players).
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
av3773 wrote:

Play Thompson is the second greatest shooter in NBA history. That along with his elite defense gives him a higher ceiling until Ingram can show he can defend at an elite level or shoot.
right... put thompson on this team and ask him to run PG at 21 years old
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject:

I don't think we have a Curry caliber player on our roster. That said, our guys were drafted at 19-20. I believe the Warriors players (Curry/Klay) were drafted at 21 so there should be more room for growth for our guys. I think our guys can make it to Klay Draymond's level, but Curry is a bit of a stretch. The one thing we have is depth over their young guys. B.I., Ball, Randle, Kuz, and Hart are a damn strong core. Now if we can add an Iguodala and Durant through free agency...!!
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
av3773 wrote:

IMO Kuzma is the better comp for Klay not BI. BI is obviously a poor man's version of KD;)
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject:

I really wish people would stop pretending our guys compare to Steph and Klay. We have good players with lots of potential but that's all at this point.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject:

I'm a big fan of BI but comparing him to Klay right now?

Klay scored 37 points in a quarter, totaling 52 points. He guards the other team's best perimeter player every single night. BI has a long way to go.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject:

No comparison. Our players are much different than theirs. Maybe the "This is my (bleep)!" season opener vs the Rockets last season was a better comp. Brandon & Julius have emerged into a wonderful front-court tandem. They will give teams issues for years to come. Ball is a smaller Lebron, less scoring but similar concept. Hart & Kuz are players you'd expect to see in a Spurs uniform.
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject:

watchME wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
av3773 wrote:

right... put thompson on this team and ask him to run PG at 21 years old

He'd probably lead them to the lottery too.

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
I hope we only go after 1 max free agent so that we can keep our entire core intact. Our team is very good when healthy. If we get a young star like Paul george then we can compete for a very long time. If we get someone well into their thirties then the window is too short and it comes at the expense of developing the core.

The Randle/Ball/Ingram core with Hart/Kuzma/Bryant/Caruso roleplayers is a very good young team that can match up with any other team in the league.

This is my hope, as well. I don't think Caruso and Bryant have proven themselves to be solid guys for long-term investment by US, yet, but everyone else? Definitely.

My hope for this summer is that we play smart for the long-game, yet still improve enough to crack 2nd round of playoffs next year. My wish list would be like this - and feel free to correct me if my numbers are off:

(1) Renounce Thomas and Frye.
(2) Do NOT renounce Julius, keep his $12.4M cap hold.
(3) Sign George at his max [or within 5% of it if we get a little hometown discount, but I can live with max].
(4) Re-sign Lopez at a discount - say $10-12M range if we can, as he may be in demand.
(5) Draft Aaron Holiday for the backup PG spot.
(6) Sign Julius in the $16-18M range.

We do that, I'll consider that a solid win, and look toward a 50-win season next year.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Comparison Between Lakers Youth to Warriors’ Players Few Year’s Ago

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
How does Ball, Randle, Kuzma and Hart compare to the Warriors’ players when they were younger - Curry, Thompson and Green?

It's not really a useful comparison. Players careers and development don't follow some standard trajectory. For example, Kuz was better as a rookie than Green was, but that doesn't tell you anything about what Kuz will be like three years from now.

No matter what the Lakers do with free agents, you can find examples of teams in the past that did similar things that both worked out spectacularly and didn't work out at all.

There isn't a one-size-fits-all model with this stuff, because the players are all different.

Last edited by activeverb on Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject:

saying BI has potential to be better than Klay is like saying your lottery ticket has potential of making you a millionaire.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
No comparison. Our players are much different than theirs. Maybe the "This is my (bleep)!" season opener vs the Rockets last season was a better comp. Brandon & Julius have emerged into a wonderful front-court tandem. They will give teams issues for years to come. Ball is a smaller Lebron, less scoring but similar concept. Hart & Kuz are players you'd expect to see in a Spurs uniform.

Lebron could get to the cup at will and is a generational athlete. Please stop.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject:

in BI rookie year some folks were lamenting that BI would only be a 6'9" Klay Thompson. I was like if he turns out to ONLY be a 6'9" Klay we got ourselves a gem lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject:

OC Lakerfan wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

Similar concept I said. Zo's willingness to make his teammates better is most likely a trait he picked up from watching Lebron. Just as much as Lebron's willingness to make his teammates better a trait he picked up from Magic. If you can't see that then I cannot help you.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

Similar concept I said. Zo's willingness to make his teammates better is most likely a trait he picked up from watching Lebron. Just as much as Lebron's willingness to make his teammates better a trait he picked up from Magic. If you can't see that then I cannot help you.

Similar concept is saying Kendall Marshall is similar to Lonzo Ball. Sure, he's a pass first player, that's where the comparisons stop.
calistrtballr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject:

Just bring George home, and retain the Beast. Have brook back too at mega discount. Next year stretch out deng, sign kawhi/klay and we ready to roll
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject:

OC Lakerfan wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

Similar concept is saying Kendall Marshall is similar to Lonzo Ball. Sure, he's a pass first player, that's where the comparisons stop.

You have to admit very few players have the ability to control the pace of the game and make average players the best versions of themselves. Very few people in history have that ability. Magic, Michael, Lebron come to mind. Nash & Kidd to a lesser extent. And Simmons & Ball are well in their way. Zo's favorite player is Lebron, and I don't know if you can remember back this far, but Zo & Lebron got the same attention coming into the league. Lebron didn't care about scoring in HS, he just wanted his teammates to score and have them attend college on a basketball scholarship. They take the same criticism for not looking for their own shot enough. There are plenty similarities in Zo & Bron's game. Their BBIQ's are off the charts. Zo's hands on defense and ability to make steals, blocks, and reads are remenicent to a younger Lebron. Lebron is a way better passer, but Zo hopefully will be there someday.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: