Is LeBron James the Right Target for the Los Angeles Lakers?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject:

Signing Lebron is the right answer not matter what the question is.

He is still the best player in the NBA and if you can sign him you do it.

He can play all 5 positions on offense and guard all of them on defense.

He will fit with the young core and lead them including Randle. Many question how he fits with Randle but he would be great for him as it would be another guy that pulls out the defense and can find the open man down low. He is probably an elite play for at least 3 years and he will get us into the upper level of the playoffs next year meaning a top 4 seed or higher.

Now a team with Lebron, Randle, PG, BI, Kuz, Zo and Hart playing under Luke's style of offense and defense will go far into the playoffs. Randle right now is playing at an elite level. BI was starting to become consistent at a near elite level. I think both those guys will be at an elite level next year. If you add PG & Lebron that is 4 guys at an elite level. Zo next year may even be at an elite level but at a minimum he will be better and a darn good starter as a 20 year old. Kuz seems to be figuring out how to get around the wall he hit and will be a darn good rotation player who is starter quality. Hart right now is playing as a good rotation player. This team would be really strong on defense and offense with everyone a good passer.

Not sure about the center position on this team but JR is probably the center for 1/2 the game. A defensive shot blocker/ rebounder like Bryant or Zubac would probably be okay for this team.

So yes sign Lebron if we can which I think is a big question. What he should be able to see is that we have the pieces around him and that he can not only lead them but mentor them as well. He might like that it would give him a feeling of leaving a legacy of players groomed by him. Kobe never go to do that.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject:

Is LeBron the right guy to snub and not offer a contract to?

Boom, gotcha lol
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
81 wrote:
If you have the opportunity to sign the best player in the NBA (or at least top 5), you go for it. Signing LeBron is a much better option than using that money to bring back KCP and others or waiting on the uncertainty of 2019. That being said, and I wouldn't have thought this a few months ago, this is under the assumption that the Lakers trade Deng and can thus afford a max like PG13, LeBron and Randle. If the Lakers can't find a taker for Deng and have have to stretch him instead (letting Julius go for nothing), there's a good argument to be made that they're better off longterm keeping the much younger Randle and the extra $23 million in cap space.

Go for the win now. Playing the pat hand and waiting for the kids to mature seems like a sound strategy - but there's no guarantee that they will ever get over the top.

If the past month of Laker basketball has shown us anything, it's that there's not much waiting left to do. If it's just addition (w/o losing Randle), they are about one player away. Maybe a player and a half. But if there's anything Lebron's career has shown us, it's that no single player is a guarantee of championships, especially if you have to gut your team - and your franchise - to get him.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject:

MickMgl wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
81 wrote:
If you have the opportunity to sign the best player in the NBA (or at least top 5), you go for it. Signing LeBron is a much better option than using that money to bring back KCP and others or waiting on the uncertainty of 2019. That being said, and I wouldn't have thought this a few months ago, this is under the assumption that the Lakers trade Deng and can thus afford a max like PG13, LeBron and Randle. If the Lakers can't find a taker for Deng and have have to stretch him instead (letting Julius go for nothing), there's a good argument to be made that they're better off longterm keeping the much younger Randle and the extra $23 million in cap space.

Go for the win now. Playing the pat hand and waiting for the kids to mature seems like a sound strategy - but there's no guarantee that they will ever get over the top.

If the past month of Laker basketball has shown us anything, it's that there's not much waiting left to do. If it's just addition (w/o losing Randle), they are about one player away. Maybe a player and a half. But if there's anything Lebron's career has shown us, it's that no single player is a guarantee of championships, especially if you have to gut your team - and your franchise - to get him.

The Lakers can sign him outright. If they move any pieces after that (maybe to accommodate PG or at LBJ's request) is a separate organizational decision.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers might not have a choice of PG OR LeBron...

Both of them may talk and ONLY sign if BOTH of them are offered contracts,

Anyone consider that?
irielight
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
81 wrote:

Many of those who are opposed to getting LBJ are afraid that we will lose Randle. Is losing 10 years of Randle worth getting 2 prime years of LeBron? My answer is yes - even if Randle becomes a 6X All-Star. Even in a "down" season, LeBron is playing at an MVP-caliber level and that is a critical piece to winning championships.

So for me, I go for LeBron because adding him (an another max player) puts us in the Championship conversation.

Could Randle be that other "max" player? IDK - that's a different discussion. Bottom line - if we can get LeBron, then get him.

You're right that there are no guarantees that this young group will ever achieve an elite status, but I question whether LBJ and PG will get us past the Warriors.

The team would be poorly constructed given the age differences. They are still so young that by the time they're ready to seriously compete for a championship LBJ will be aging. How long will he be elite, no one knows, but history tells us he's only got a couple more years. I know, I know, as Eric pointed out on his article, he's LeBron, he's a freak, he may break the mold...or he may not.

If LeBron was just 2 years younger it's a no brainer, but right now, I think it's probably wise to pass, as difficult as it may be to do, and just try to woo PG this offseason and hope with continued growth from the youth, we're able to get Kawhi or Klay the following year. Yes, that could blow up in the Lakers' face, but I think it's better to take that chance than it is to tie all that money up with LBJ and imo still not get that ring.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:

Anyone consider that?

If we offer both their Maxes, it will be around 68mil, in other words, ;almost than 2/3 the payroll for 2 players. Well, If that is the case, then BOTH of them(specially Bron) will have to take a paycut.

Will they consider that?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject:

lakerican wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

Anyone consider that?

If we offer both their Maxes, it will be around 68mil, in other words, ;almost than 2/3 the payroll for 2 players. Well, If that is the case, then BOTH of them(specially Bron) will have to take a paycut.

Will they consider that?

All the contending teams have top heavy talent b/c they're elite. LBJ/PG13 are elite. This is why having younger cost-controlled players is imperative to their success. Lonzo/BI/Kuz/Hart combined make less than Tristan Thompson for example. Would you take those 4 or Tristan?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject:

I hope he doesn't come here.

I just get the sinking feeling his body will finally break down if we get him
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:

I've been waiting for his body to slow down/age since he turned 30. Some guys just have it like Wilt/Malone. I think LBJ is that too. Guy is as meticulous with his body in maintaining it as Kobe was.
Jenn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject:

Yes, as long as he's not the "GM."
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject:

Will he agree to a 3-year contract?
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject:

irielight wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
81 wrote:

Many of those who are opposed to getting LBJ are afraid that we will lose Randle. Is losing 10 years of Randle worth getting 2 prime years of LeBron? My answer is yes - even if Randle becomes a 6X All-Star. Even in a "down" season, LeBron is playing at an MVP-caliber level and that is a critical piece to winning championships.

So for me, I go for LeBron because adding him (an another max player) puts us in the Championship conversation.

Could Randle be that other "max" player? IDK - that's a different discussion. Bottom line - if we can get LeBron, then get him.

You're right that there are no guarantees that this young group will ever achieve an elite status, but I question whether LBJ and PG will get us past the Warriors.

The team would be poorly constructed given the age differences. They are still so young that by the time they're ready to seriously compete for a championship LBJ will be aging.

1 - You cannot "assume" the championship to the Dubs. Age, fatigue & injuries affect them just like it did the ShaKobe Lakers, the Sp*rs (never repeated), etc. Even now, Klay & Steph are dealing with injuries. Houston went "all in" on an aging CP3 and have at least a puncher's chance of taking out the Dubs.

2 - Don't assume that the learning curve of our guys is 4-5 years. Magic & Wilkes were starters on championship teams as rookies. Bird, Duncan, Parker won in their second seasons. Kawhi, Draymond, Kyrie & DWade in their 3rd seasons.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject:

Remember when the HEAT were thought of as not 1, not 2...

They went to 4 Finals and at the end they were gassed and not deep enough.

Warriors may get there sooner than expected, plus unlike the HEAT situation, they didn't have 4 guys making max level money.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

1 - You cannot "assume" the championship to the Dubs. Age, fatigue & injuries affect them just like it did the ShaKobe Lakers, the Sp*rs (never repeated), etc. Even now, Klay & Steph are dealing with injuries. Houston went "all in" on an aging CP3 and have at least a puncher's chance of taking out the Dubs.

2 - Don't assume that the learning curve of our guys is 4-5 years. Magic & Wilkes were starters on championship teams as rookies. Bird, Duncan, Parker won in their second seasons. Kawhi, Draymond, Kyrie & DWade in their 3rd seasons.

Our young guys would get better experience being on deep playoff teams. It helped Kobe out.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Our young guys would get better experience being on deep playoff teams. It helped Kobe out.

Are you saying they're better off going on playoff runs and losing w/o LeBron, as opposed to winning two or three championships with LeBron? If so, I completely disagree.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Are you saying they're better off going on playoff runs and losing w/o LeBron, as opposed to winning two or three championships with LeBron? If so, I completely disagree.

No. I'm saying that even if all we did with Lebron is go deep into the playoffs every year he's here, it would still help the young guys develop.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:

I've been waiting for his body to slow down/age since he turned 30. Some guys just have it like Wilt/Malone. I think LBJ is that too. Guy is as meticulous with his body in maintaining it as Kobe was.

Just as Kobe did as he aged, Lebron compensates by playing less defense. That helps save the body since defense is all effort. Offensively they rely on the experience they have gained to remain successful.
irielight
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

My point is actually that, you can't assume anything. I don't assume the Warriors will win, but they are the best team in the league right now, so that's what you measure against.

Every situation is unique. For instance, Houston going all in is the right move for them. They don't have a stable of young players, so with the CBA and salary cap rules, you get whoever you can get to win now. The Lakers are in a much different position being as young as they are.

And yes, there are certainly some examples of young guys ready to win in their first couple of years and maybe our guys will get there sooner than later, but I haven't seen it yet. The guy who is showing himself to be most ready, Julius, is the guy who will most likely have to be gone in order to get both LBJ and PG.

LeBron is the best player in the world and ordinarily I'd be first to say we gotta get this done, but his age concerns me. Also, LeBron comes with a lot baggage and upsetting chemistry on and off the court with this young squad, young coaching staff and young (in terms of experience) FO could be damaging. (To be clear, LeBron's not a bad guy by any stretch of the imagination, but he does like to be coach, GM and likes the world to revolve around him.)

I'm not saying the Lakers should be risk averse, but I see a lot of red flags. And that to me, says to stay away.

Side note: if we do get LBJ next year, I'll cheer for him, but I just think there's real wisdom in passing.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject:

I think anytime you can get a top 5 player, you take it. I don not have concerns about his health, he has done a good job there. My biggest concern is if Lebron would fit into the model we have here, not surround himself with older spot-up shooters.
Codyb1010
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject:

I am in the minority. I just cant see it. Maybe its all the years watchinh Kobe or not watching enough of Lebron James. I just cant see why people say hes the best of all time. I get it stats and all that jazz but i just see a big body that just bull rushes most of the time. I think he is the most overrated player in sports history. Why does he keep jumping ship to different teams?! Unlike Michael jordan and kobe who played with one team? And why cant he win this year? Hes the best player on the planet, but losing with a decent supporting cast in cle? Why do u want a player whose old overrated for say 3 Years for a chance at maybe 1 Championship? I do not see how he would make any of our players better. I dont get it.
Codyb1010
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject:

Man stats are so overrated! I played basketball in highschool and i was a bench player bur averaged almost a triple double 13 pts 7 assists 7 rebounds average a game, but i was probably the 7th best player. Theres more to james then his stats.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject:

Codyb1010 wrote:
Man stats are so overrated! I played basketball in highschool and i was a bench player bur averaged almost a triple double 13 pts 7 assists 7 rebounds average a game, but i was probably the 7th best player. Theres more to james then his stats.

Wow. That is so relevant to understanding an all time great like LBJ!!!
Codyb1010
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject:

To me it is relevant because people enamor over him because of his stats. Rebounds are mostly defensive and hes a huge guy not impressed. Im 5 10. 2. His assists okay wow he has the ball in his hands all game and has good shooters around him. 3. Scoring he gets alot of easy fastbreak layups and dunks. Not a great 3 point shooter. Way more enamored by Westbrook stats. People just see what they wanna see. Lebron James is turning 34 and is not a good fit for our team. Simple as that. Not impressed.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject:

Malone at age 40 was a huge difference maker for the Lakers and some of you think a 34 year old LeBron won’t?

LeBron at age 34 is better then a lot and I mean a lot of players in the NBA
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: